Leveling exclusively through pet battles.

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jefra
Pet Score:2300
BattleTag®:redbaronkain#1261
Realm:Frostmane-us
Leveling exclusively through pet battles.

Post by Jefra » March 18th, 2014, 11:40 pm

So I have been leveling this guy from pet battles near mistfall village in vale. What I am wondering is there other places to do this as well? I am getting a little bored of killing the same water guys over and over. So if there are over viable spots let me know!

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: Leveling exclusively through pet battles.

Post by Kpb321 » March 18th, 2014, 11:54 pm

West of halfhill in the Valley of the Four Winds in the Heartland area near Lucky Yi is supposed to be pretty good for this. Lots of critters around with nothing to aggro on a lowbie being leveled.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » March 19th, 2014, 1:02 am

Careful, you don't burn out on Pet Battles..

I levelled my mage from 86 to 90 by PB alone, and it made a serious dent in my will to battle..

Remember, you get ~1% from a battle, which means 100 battles PER LEVEL -> 90 (soon 100) = 8900 (9900) battles to level up..

Jefra
Pet Score:2300
BattleTag®:redbaronkain#1261
Realm:Frostmane-us

Post by Jefra » March 19th, 2014, 1:10 am

I am not too worried about that. This would be my 7th 90 so there is no rush to hit 90 just taking my time. I only created the guy because it just made sense to get some xp out of it while I was leveling up my pets. But a change of scenery is always nice.

Regillixavatar
Pet Score:1735
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Regillixavatar » March 19th, 2014, 6:55 am

If you can get a portal to Vale you can always set your hearthstone there and turn in the daily Beasts of Fable quests (and potentially the weekly PvP pet battle quest). They give pretty good experience and are shared through the account

Tonid
Pet Score:5172
Realm:Darkmoon Faire-eu

Post by Tonid » March 19th, 2014, 8:21 am

I have leveled at least 3 chars 85 (or lower, 70 in one case) to 90 via pet battles only (West of Halfhill), and I have to say that it definitely takes less than 100 battles per level. I never counted, but my feeling was that this was by far the most efficient way to level a character, I'd even say better than questing in terms of experience per time spent.

Of course you need a good team for this. Since all pets in the area where I level are critter or aquatic (more critters), I use a Kun-Lai Runt along with a Flayer Youngling. Rotation: Rampage, switch, Rampage, switch... Critters are down in 2/3 rampage shots usually (unless they burrow or something similar), in case of aquatics it usually takes 3 with some additional spells.

Some people prefer to use the Anubisath Idol, which rarely needs any bandaging or reviving, however it's much less time efficient. In my case I rarely had to use any bandages to revive the Runt and the Flayer, usually when they went down my revival spell was already off CD, but stacking up on some bandages does help. If you're 85 you can of course ride to Halfhill to the stable master in the rare case when they go down before your spell is off CD.

If you're leveling in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, Harpy Younglings might be a good solution (humanoid = self healing, and flying moves for good damage against aquatics). However, I'd say that Valley of the Four Winds is definitely safer (no mobs in a huge area, you can even put a lvl 10 character there if someone ports you and carries you from Shrine!), and more abundant in terms of pets.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » March 19th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Im on my fifth from leveling. This one is now level 82, and started near halfhill at level 5. I love the looks I get.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Kalium
Top Rater

Post by Kalium » March 19th, 2014, 2:55 pm

How do you get a level 5 to HalfHill? Seems like something I'd want to do but I don't know anyone with a two-seater flying mount... is that the only way?

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » March 19th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Kalium wrote:How do you get a level 5 to HalfHill? Seems like something I'd want to do but I don't know anyone with a two-seater flying mount... is that the only way?
Yea. Port to shrine, bind there then bum a two person mount ride to halfhill and grab the FP there. Super easy to move around when you have all the ports available at level 5! Btag me if you can't find anyone (alliance US), I could probably get you a ride from the shrine to the farm.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » March 19th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Dakaf wrote:
Kalium wrote:How do you get a level 5 to HalfHill? Seems like something I'd want to do but I don't know anyone with a two-seater flying mount... is that the only way?
Yea. Port to shrine, bind there then bum a two person mount ride to halfhill and grab the FP there. Super easy to move around when you have all the ports available at level 5! Btag me if you can't find anyone (alliance US), I could probably get you a ride from the shrine to the farm.
Normally I bum a ride from a guildy from the shrine to wherever I want my lowbie to battle (I normally choose where to level based on which type of stones I want the most from the ones available (Aquatic, Critter and Beast), then park there and battle battle battle with an appropriately chosen team. If none of my guildies are around I'll just use /2 and offer a chunk of gold (I normally offer 100g just because I want a quick response) for a 2 seat flight. Never takes any time at all and I'm normally flood with offers. Remember to set your hearth at Shrine and to grab all the flight points you're near!

Torbica
Pet Score:9612
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Torbica » March 20th, 2014, 6:18 pm

I'm also lvling via pet battles, but I'm doing pvp.

My lock is lvl 80 now, and i didn't move from SW.

It takes forever, but it doesn't really matter since I'm going for 5000 pvp pet battle wins and lvls are basically free.

You need like 7 wins/lvl from lvl 1 up to 50 wins/lvl for lvls 85-90.

I lvl'ed all my pets via MoP trainers (11 of them) cos i needed stones to upgrade green quality cageable pets (mostly beasts and flying).

My 1st post here btw,
Hello every1 ;)

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » March 21st, 2014, 1:25 am

Tonid wrote:I have leveled at least 3 chars 85 (or lower, 70 in one case) to 90 via pet battles only (West of Halfhill), and I have to say that it definitely takes less than 100 battles per level. I never counted, but my feeling was that this was by far the most efficient way to level a character, I'd even say better than questing in terms of experience per time spent.
It DOES take 100 battles (give or take a few) to gain one level.. Atleast on higher levels, as i haven't tried low level toons..

I have an addon, that tracks my XP and even display it in percentages towards next level, so it's pretty easy to see the progress..
I get between 1,0% and 1,1% for each won battle, every single time, regardless of the toon's level.. It even ignores rested bonus :evil:

Maybe you enjoy pet battles so much, you don't notice when you have done 100 battles :D

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » March 21st, 2014, 5:08 am

After my 3rd or 4thh run through of the zones, I decided to get my 5k PVP wins AND level ALL my remaining toons entirely via pet battles. I even leveled a horde alt from 1-90 exclusively via pet PVP and got the double agent acheev into the bargain :P

My guildies thought I was barking mad (I am to be fair) but the sheer amount of stones I got was crazy (well over 150 of various types, and almost 20 flawless stones to sell)

Worth it if you can stand the monotony :)

Shamirah
Pet Score:1889
Realm:Elune-eu

Post by Shamirah » March 22nd, 2014, 5:47 pm

hey ! anyone has a pic or screenshot of the best zone ? I don't know the places you're talking about 'cause I'm using the french client ! Thanks in advance !

Tonid

Post by Tonid » March 23rd, 2014, 1:31 pm

Shamirah wrote:hey ! anyone has a pic or screenshot of the best zone ? I don't know the places you're talking about 'cause I'm using the french client ! Thanks in advance !
Type "Heartland WoW" in Google.

Alconlan
Pet Score:3243
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Alconlan » March 23rd, 2014, 2:10 pm

I have a lvl 30 currently parked at Halfhill and I pet battle the area around Lucky Yi. I also have them fight the pet daily Nishi in the Valley, for major XP.

I have found some great tips that I use all the time for the fast/maximum efficient leveling for both my toon and pets.

Fighting mostly Marsh Fiddlers, start with your lowest pet in first slot. I use level 1's. The other main pet I use is a [pet]Zandalari Anklerender[/pet] with [ability]Leap[/ability] and [ability]Devour[/ability].

After your low level pet takes the first hit, (or if it dies, just leave fight, but this is rare) swap them to the Zandalari. Use [ability]Leap[/ability] until they are almost dead, then use [ability]Devour[/ability]. This should kill them, as well as heal your Zandalari back up. Your Zandalari will then start on the next pet with an automatic hit leftover from [ability]Devour[/ability]. From there, basically rinse and repeat. You'll barely ever have to use bandages or heals and go back into town to a stable.

Your low level pet will at least go up 4-7 levels on their first fight. I then level them up until about lvl 10. Then save them for a Pet battle trainer, like Nishi in the Valley. When I fight Nishi using that pet in the first slot, after a win, they will go up to about lvl 15 or so.

This is such a quick way to get thru fights fast, get your experience for yourself and or your pets.

Thanks and have fun!

Tonid

Post by Tonid » March 29th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Alconlan wrote: Fighting mostly Marsh Fiddlers, start with your lowest pet in first slot. I use level 1's. The other main pet I use is a [pet]Zandalari Anklerender[/pet] with [ability]Leap[/ability] and [ability]Devour[/ability].
Interesting suggestion! I might give the Anklerender a try, especially since the Leap animation is very fast, which makes battles shorter! (it's something also to have in mind when mass-leveling, e.g. Anubisath Idol delays fights horribly due to long animations).