Are pet battles pay to win?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu
Re: Are pet battles pay to win?

Post by Awq » March 16th, 2014, 7:43 pm

To counter, I wish to bring up a question I asked a bit ago on the Battle.net forums, asking about a darkness team, since I was having trouble beating them. To my shock 20-some people all replied that I need Pandaren monk or Mini Tyreal/Soul of the Aspects to even consider building a team around darkness (as well as a Crow/Raven but that was why I had asked the question int he first place).
There are some alternatives. I would recommend: Ghostly Skull, Blighthawk, Spectral Porcupette, Crow/Raven x2, Vampiric Batling. Bats, Owls, Spectral Kitten could work as well. None of these require real life money, although the Spectral Kitten and the Vampiric Batling might be difficult/impossible to acquire.
You could use another Darkness provider or a random pet in the third slot. Pandaren monk or Mini Tyreal/Soul of the Aspects are in no way needed for a Darkness team. Crows/Ravens will get you far (they are, in my opinion, the bread and butter of a Darkness team), but everything else is up to your own preferences!

Harpua
Pet Score:4602
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpua » March 16th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Ieana wrote:I would like to say one thing about the PvP pet battle system, I love the anonymity and lack of communication between the players, it's ALL about the pets and strategy. You don't know who you're battling and don't have to listen to any "smack talk."
Except for Worgens :) I hate their animations

I know what you mean though. But it would be nice to be able to say "nice move" or "you lucky dog" once in a while. Unfortunately, most people would not use it for friendly banter.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » March 17th, 2014, 5:46 am

Ieana wrote:
I would like to say one thing about the PvP pet battle system, I love the anonymity and lack of communication between the players, it's ALL about the pets and strategy. You don't know who you're battling and don't have to listen to any "smack talk."
This is the absolutely best thing about pet battles.
I know when I was just starting out and getting by butt whipped it was nice to not be called noob or ridiculed.
It is a learning experience pvp is much different than pve.
I just wish the rest of the game ( I am looking at you lfr) was like this.
Much easier to keep trying when not having to hear those that think they are better than all or forget that they were "noobs" at one time too.
Yet they wonder why their is a lack of healers or tanks gee I wonder why someone wouldn't try something new in this game the way they act?