Help choosing a flier

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Daniekir
Top Rater
Pet Score:5265
Realm:Hydraxis-us
Help choosing a flier

Post by Daniekir » March 5th, 2014, 8:43 pm

I've been collecting pets in WoW since the days when they took up two-thirds of my bank space. After taking a bit of a break at the start of MoP I'm glad to be back and am eager to get as many of the new pets as I can; including the ones that I have to do pet battles to get. Right now I am trying to sort through and pick out the best pets I currently own and lvl them as quickly as I can in order to have a well-rounded stable of 25s to choose from. I *think* I've selected and favorited my best pets (feel free to comment on them though, I need all the help I can get!) but the family I'm really struggling with is the flying pets.

I have a P/B rare Sandy Petrel at 25 right now, but mostly that is just because I needed any flier and it was the highest lvl rare I had. I considered my Tiny Sporebat because a guildie told me it was a good but I'm still not sold on it. I would greatly appreciate any advice that more experienced trainers could offer, on a flier or any other tips/resources you could suggest.

Thank you in advance!

~Wyr

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Re: Help choosing a flier

Post by Iamwhatis » March 5th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Well for PVP: The SS Crow and SS Gilnean Raven with Call Darkness and Nocturnal Strike are probably tops. The PP yellow moth is also excellent. For that matter one of every available different stat moth is good.

Nefigah
Pet Score:1359
Realm:Grizzly Hills-us

Post by Nefigah » March 5th, 2014, 11:19 pm

The moths found on the Timeless Isle are rather unique. I like the [pet]Skywisp Moth[/pet] especially.

[pet]Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling[/pet] comes in some great breeds.

The Darkmoon Faire is going on right now, so catch a [pet]Crow[/pet] if you haven't already.

[pet]Jade Owl[/pet] is technically magic family, but its abilities are Flying. I like it for certain pve trainers (it has the additional benefit of taking less damage from aquatics).

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » March 6th, 2014, 9:02 am

If you want one with a heal, Chi-Chi and Flamering Moth (H/S or P/S) are both OK choices. Otherwise go with one of the ones already mentioned; Crow and Gilnean Raven are both very strong, popular choices.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » March 6th, 2014, 12:58 pm

Once the Wod preorder goes live, [pet]Dread Hatchling[/pet] will be a beastly flyer to battle with.

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Tuatha » March 6th, 2014, 1:20 pm

You're not going to use too many fliers for dailies to level your pets up, which is what I assume you want to do first. The Crow/Raven mentioned is very strong in pvp, and I even use a Crow for murder in the CT and to clean up against Aki and Nishi, and 2 crows and a raven for all the aquatic beasts of fable, but vs routine pve for leveling carry pets I'd go with a moth (until you get Chi-chi).

You have a lvl 23 rare p/s Amber Moth, which should work fine for leveling, and can even be used on some of the dailies. If you're going to power level through wild pets you may want a second power breed moth until you start overloading on bandages.

Also, as mentioned, while the faire is in town get a rare crow--or several. s/s and p/s breeds preferred.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » March 6th, 2014, 1:53 pm

Moths are very accessible and easy to use. Optimally you'd want a rare stoned P/P Yellow Moth, but if you'd rather start off by catching a higher level one there's many choices (i.e. Amber, Garden, Gilded) so you can pick one up pretty easily.

Terribletim68

Post by Terribletim68 » March 6th, 2014, 2:18 pm

I do love the Moths, but I'm by no means an expert at any of this. I just find my Moth to be pretty amazing, and Cocoon Strike has been really good.

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » March 6th, 2014, 7:26 pm

An SS Szechuan Chicken is really useful to have around (in rare). Its base speed of 325 is extremely useful with flock for MANY battles. The fact that even after it loses its flier buff of speed it's faster than most things you come up against is super useful. There are many battles that are easily decided by having 2 full rounds of 100% damage buff left (after you Chicken dies).

The chicken is more easily accessible than the SS Crow in my opinion (where Murder serves largely the same purpose. Yes yes I know, they're not the same but there are still many places I find a 325 base speed flyer to be useful).

Daniekir
Top Rater
Pet Score:5265
Realm:Hydraxis-us

Post by Daniekir » March 6th, 2014, 10:06 pm

Thank you guys for the insightful (and prompt!) replies. :)

I've been trying to get a rare crow, but no luck as of yet. A lot of people seem to be suggesting the yellow moth, so I'll try to find a P/P one to upgrade as soon as I have a stone for it. Thanks again for all your help!

~Wyr