Celestial Tournament

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu
Celestial Tournament

Post by FuxieDK » February 17th, 2014, 2:10 am

Yay me... I completed my first CT yesterday, and got XuFu..

Damn, those fights can be hard, EVEN with the guide from Wowhead, especially Chi-Chi, which was downright impossible with the Wowhead strategy..

9 more completions and I have all 4 pets, and hopefully have killed all adversaries for the achievement..
Now, I need a Humanoid stone for my Wolvar, as i think Wrathion will destroy it otherwise...

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Celestial Tournament

Post by Jerebear » February 17th, 2014, 10:03 am

You have both the water spirit and chrominius and they are very good on Chi-Chi

Start with water spirit:
R1: Geyser
R2: Whirlpool
R3: Swap to Chrominius
R4: Howl
R5: Surge of Power

Neither pet dies, so if you do Chi-Chi first, you can still use them for other celestials if you want. After you beat Chi-Chi, put them with an AoE healer (Turnip, Skunk, Alterac Brew Pup, etc), start a fight vs Yu'la, heal and leave. Yu'la doesn't attack for the first 2 rounds, so you have both of those to cast heals.

Congrats BTW!
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » February 17th, 2014, 12:06 pm

Jerebear wrote:You have both the water spirit and chrominius and they are very good on Chi-Chi
The Strat on Wowhead says Unborn + Wisp + Wisp..
I went with Unborn + Chrominus + Wisp..

I use Pandaren Water Spirit on Blingtron.. I don't want to use the same pet for more than one fight, because RNG will always screw me sideways and give me those two fights in the same week..

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » February 17th, 2014, 12:45 pm

There are actually quite a few other starts to handle Chi-Chi other than the "howlbomb". Some swear by 3 Snails, didn't work that well for me but I probably did it wrong. Last week i got restless shadeling and nether roach to spam their strong vs bird attack and it worked very well. On wednesday Im gonna try this:
Start with Corefire Imp
Round 1. Immolate
Round 2. Wild Magic
Round 3. Switch to Restless Shadeling.
Round 4 -> until dead spam Arcane Blast.
When dead bring in Nether Roach and spam Nether Blast.

Either Corefire imp or some other pet with Mangle, since Mangle lasts 10 turns instead of 5. But then I won't get the Immolation.

I have not tried this before but I'm remaining positive. Howlbomb worked very well for my 10 needed wins, and you could quite easily level up another Water Spirit, they are quite cheap on AH.

Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Liopleurodon » February 17th, 2014, 1:34 pm

You'll get those 2 fights at once every 3rd week, so you're right to plan ahead with a different strategy, though I might rethink your Blingtron strategy. I'm not sure how you're using it, but is there another elemental or pet with aquatic nukes that would work OK instead? Personally, I use a water strider, a monkey and my fel flame for Blingtron.

My Chi-chi strategy is to stack a pet with Wild Magic as my first pet (specifically the Sen'jin Fetish, because it's undead and I am the WORST at counting, and with the Undead res turn I don't have to be as careful) and then go for an Ooze with Corrosion and Acidic Goo. Wild Magic and Corrosion are independent per-hit additive buffs, Acidic Goo is a percentage multiplier, and Acidic Goo and Corrosion are both DoTs, so Chi-chi gets wrecked quick. Because it's all DoTs they tick even through his annoying dodge move. It's even Lio-Is-Drinking-Boxed-Wine-proof.
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » February 17th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Vek wrote:There are actually quite a few other starts to handle Chi-Chi other than the "howlbomb". Some swear by 3 Snails, didn't work that well for me but I probably did it wrong. Last week i got restless shadeling and nether roach to spam their strong vs bird attack and it worked very well. On wednesday Im gonna try this:
Start with Corefire Imp
Round 1. Immolate
Round 2. Wild Magic
Round 3. Switch to Restless Shadeling.
Round 4 -> until dead spam Arcane Blast.
When dead bring in Nether Roach and spam Nether Blast.

Either Corefire imp or some other pet with Mangle, since Mangle lasts 10 turns instead of 5. But then I won't get the Immolation.

I have not tried this before but I'm remaining positive. Howlbomb worked very well for my 10 needed wins, and you could quite easily level up another Water Spirit, they are quite cheap on AH.
I'm a 3 snails guy on Chi-Chi. Usually the third snail doesn't even see action. Just keep him with the 25% damage buff and keep hitting him, dive when you can. Normally not even close.

Moonie1
Top Rater
Pet Score:3510
BattleTag®:Moondoggie#1666
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Moonie1 » February 17th, 2014, 11:05 pm

I use Unborn Val'kyr (curse then haunt) and Alpine Fox (dazzling dance, then howl, then two rounds of flurry) for a 6 round win. Much faster than when I used 2 snails. The best part is how close the fox gets to dying each time. I havent lost yet with the Unborn/Fox.

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11046
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Melmo » February 18th, 2014, 2:24 am

I'm keeping all you guys' strats in mind, thank you!

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » February 18th, 2014, 2:53 am

FuxieDK wrote:The Strat on Wowhead says Unborn + Wisp + Wisp..
There is an alternate strategy listed there referred to as "Snailception", and this is the one that I use. Use Snail's x3 (I use 2 Silbead & 1 Rapana) with: Ooze Touch, Acidic Goo, and Dive. During my first attempt with this team I had horrible luck in that the Dive on Snail #1 missed 2 times - making that snail pretty much useless - HOWEVER, the other two were able to pick up and carry the slack with no issues. My attempts following that one using the Snailx3 team have been flawless.

Maybe give this team a shot instead?

Ref link to wowhead: http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1827/how-t ... ailception

P.S. Congrats on beating the tourny!
Last edited by Wakamaru on February 18th, 2014, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@TamerWakamaru

Matafleur
Pet Score:2598
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Matafleur » February 18th, 2014, 8:40 am

To clarify, you can use *any* breed of snail with the Snailception strat?

I have been playing around with the CT this week with teams made from the wowhead strats, Elfuego's strats and my own tweaks. It's getting very frustrating thinking that I have a team down only to find they get destroyed. Still, this is the "beauty" of the celestial tournament.

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » February 18th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Matafleur wrote:To clarify, you can use *any* breed of snail with the Snailception strat?
Yes. There is no specific breed recommendations listed, so I just used whichever of my snails I wanted. For my team specifically I have:

Rapana Whelk H/B
Silkbead Snail B/B
Silkbead Snail H/S

These were chosen at random from the higher level snails that I have available in my stable. Works great!

I like this strat so much because the snails get a damage bonus, Fire Quills have a weak hit against them, and if you align Dive w/ his/her Ethereal ability it's a total waste of a round/ability for Chi-Chi.
@TamerWakamaru

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » February 19th, 2014, 5:51 am

Corefire Imp, Restless Shadeling, Nether Roach worked really well. With the amount of different tactics available for Chi-Chi there really is no validity in complaining about randomness in CT. It will mostly be down to too few levelled pets and experience.

Shamirah
Pet Score:1889
Realm:Elune-eu

Post by Shamirah » February 24th, 2014, 4:46 am

Yu'la is really weak. The crazy monkey from the timeless isle can nearly solo her (depend if you're lucky with a stun/crit). You hit her hard first round. If you stun her : yay ! You can hit her hard again !

When she flies in the air... just use dodge. Punch her 'til she is dead.

Xu Fu is quite easy aswell. I use Lil' Bling first : Mate it Rain then Inflation... afterwards you just take any pet that have a strong mechanical attack and he's dead.

Chi Chi really pissed me off but as said before : water spirit with a damage booster pet is so good against her. Snails are really good too since they deal high amount of magic damage and don't get hit really hard by her elemental nuke.

Zao : I used H/H Val'kyr and I doomed him then used haunt... But you can use the earth spirit aswell... you just have to be able to survive/counter his big nuke. After my Val'kyr haunts I switch to my Gilnean Raven to use Darkness (or use any pet that can reduces heal). When my Raven dies... I take my val'kyr back and haunts him again and I finish him off with a strong mechanical ability. I used Menagerie Custodian's Ion Cannon.

Since it was my first CT ever... I only defeated Sully, Cho and the undead pnj with a UD pet using a beast type ability.

The last one was really hard since I didn't have a wasp (they have critter type ability and the fact they are from the flying familiy makes them good against the Undead pet.)

To anyone wanting to do the CT : You can do it strictly using pet that you can collect in game. Also, you have to really take care of the ennemy's abilities since they usually have abitilies that counters their counters.

Wolf13
Pet Score:2116
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Wolf13 » February 28th, 2014, 2:25 pm

I've done the tournament two weeks now, beat groups 1 and 3 (group 1 has sully, group 3 blingtron). I am now up to a whopping 30 level 25's. With some thought and planning, its very doable without a lot of pets or expensive ah ones. Chrominus + Pandarian Water spirit handles 3 of the four celestials, especially with some planning on the third pet.

my core pets for the tournament that i used in at least two fights:
Pandaren Water spirit
Chrominus
Scourged whelping
Gillean Raven
nether Faerie dragon
Mac Frog (most frogs will do)
Amber Moth
Skywisp moth
mechanical Pandaren dragonling
S/S alpine foxling
a spider with brittle webbing
kun lai runt

I've also needed so far that i recall, but may not be totally essential?:
Panderen fire spirit
Moon Moon/Fjord worg pup (another fox would have worked as well)
a snail
a crab
darkmoon zepplin

I was able to do it without using my Idol, Valk (used first time through on celestials, did without 2nd time so don't cosnder neccessary) or i think my custodian (not sure on this one, I didn't write down what i used first time through with group 3 so I may have used him). I only had to reset once when i started with the wrong trainer with no place to heal on group 1.

key thing is to be able to heal up at one of the trainers and give serious look at str/weakness matchups. guides were a good start, but some fights i just didn't have any of the combos to work with so had to improvise with some preplanning. Looking towards next week to figure out what i need to level at minimum.

Chrominus (cheap) and Mech Dragonling (not bad, but not super cheap) were my two Ah needs.

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » March 4th, 2014, 10:21 am

bookmarking this thread for future reference! :)
Mingyao on Madoran

Adorabella_x
MVP
Pet Score:6944
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Adorabella_x » March 4th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Im book marking this also....Today Ive had the worst luck against Chi-Chi...Ive previous done it with 1 x Unborn Val'kyr and 2 x Nordrassil Wisp without any problems....then fail, fail fail =(''' Have they changed the difficulty?!?

Se5s
Pet Score:3144
BattleTag®:sess#1102
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Se5s » March 4th, 2014, 11:13 pm

lol this is number 5, i think, of this sort of post...they need to compile the most effective strats and sticky it up top lol congrats on Xufu :D

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » March 5th, 2014, 4:24 am

If you don't already have your own strategy, go here http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1827/how-to-easily-beat-the-celestial-tournament#pet-lists-original-pet-list

I use some of my own strats and some from here. Works like a charm

Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13904
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Waynebrady » March 6th, 2014, 12:50 am

Try:

Chi-Chi:

Team: Pandaren Water Spirit, Arctic Fox Kit, Random Pet

Start With: Pandaren Water Spirit (Water Jet, Whirlpool, Geyser)
• Geyser
• Whirlpool (swap to Arctic Fox Kit)
Next Pet: Arctic Fox Kit (Flurry, Howl, Dazzling)
• Howl
• Dazzling Dance
• Flurry (Chi-Chi should die)