Why pet battles fail

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Index
Pet Score:12809
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu
Re: Why pet battles fail

Post by Index » January 29th, 2014, 8:10 am

I have to admit, the first few times I tried the CT, I was pulling my hair out in frustration, but I read the guides, the pet teams and things people had posted, slightly tuned to my own play styles etc, and can now pretty much steam roll the tourny in under 15 minutes.

Not meant as a brag post, but I had over 500 pets, level 25 and rare, in the optimal breeds to choose from, so maybe worth getting more than the 55 I think the OP mentioned... it's NOT enough!

Hell, RNG is a cruel mistress, and I still from time to time have to restart, but that's rare.

GL, level moar pets, and keep trying, you'll find teams that work, and teams that don't, but don't give up!

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » January 29th, 2014, 10:27 am

Index wrote:Hell, RNG is a cruel mistress, and I still from time to time have to restart, but that's rare.
I too pretty much have my pick of pets and agree that sometimes RNG can be a biotch :o

One technique I use is to pick the most "difficult" undercard first so if I have to reset it isn't that big of a deal. I do recall one particularly bad day when I reset on my last Celestial but that was a while ago; it forced me to actually get a couple true duplicate pets just in case (most all of my "same" pets are different breeds.)

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928

Post by Quintessence » January 29th, 2014, 10:51 am

GilroyKilroy wrote: One technique I use is to pick the most "difficult" undercard first so if I have to reset it isn't that big of a deal.
This is what I did as well when I was first sorting out teams and discovering what worked and what didn't. I only dabbled in the tournie on the PTR so I wasn't 100% sure of what to expect, but it did leave an impression of which teams were going to be my stumbling blocks. Even now I have a preferred order just in case things don't go my way, and it helps cut down on some of the frustration.

To the OP: All I can say is just keep doing your best and try to stay positive. Level up a few more pets and create back up teams based on the guides suggested.

RNG will always play an important role in Pet Battles, so it's something you will just need to learn to adapt and work around it. If it's not your cup of tea, that's ok too. It's not a failure on the game or developer's part, just an incompatibility of what you find fun and what's implemented. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Elfuego
Pet Score:3958
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Elfuego » January 31st, 2014, 12:47 am

I gotta disagree here. Pet battling is NOT just knowing your pets, its knowing the OTHER opponents pets also. What there capable of and what is cooling down. A lot of my videos demonstrate this. Even with the changes blizz has implemented, a lot of my team choices I share consistently win the tourney one shot. you can view the entire overview here: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... f=3&t=8050 As of late, I believe blizz dropped some of the RNG for a more stable hits. Even so, a player should know RNG plays its part in the tournament. I think your pets breeds play a lot in your success or failure. I cant confirm, but it seems to me B/B pets don't take as many critical hits as others. I wonder if the balance has something to do with defense. A great example of that is the Zao fight. I get letters with people saying Zao always one shots their fox. And its almost always an H/S breed. I've been doing the tournament since its inception and have been hit crticaly ONCE on that fight, and never with a B/b breed. So I have nothing concrete on that, its just a hunch.

But as far as the tournament goes, and pet battle in general , Its more then just expensive pets and powering thru, you have to know what your up against.

[profile]Elfuego[/profile]
http://www.wowpetbattle.com
GET OWNED!

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » January 31st, 2014, 1:34 pm

Elfuego wrote:I gotta disagree here. Pet battling is NOT just knowing your pets, its knowing the OTHER opponents pets also. What there capable of and what is cooling down. A lot of my videos demonstrate this. Even with the changes blizz has implemented, a lot of my team choices I share consistently win the tourney one shot. you can view the entire overview here: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... f=3&t=8050 As of late, I believe blizz dropped some of the RNG for a more stable hits. Even so, a player should know RNG plays its part in the tournament. I think your pets breeds play a lot in your success or failure. I cant confirm, but it seems to me B/B pets don't take as many critical hits as others. I wonder if the balance has something to do with defense. A great example of that is the Zao fight. I get letters with people saying Zao always one shots their fox. And its almost always an H/S breed. I've been doing the tournament since its inception and have been hit crticaly ONCE on that fight, and never with a B/b breed. So I have nothing concrete on that, its just a hunch.

But as far as the tournament goes, and pet battle in general , Its more then just expensive pets and powering thru, you have to know what your up against.

[profile]Elfuego[/profile]
http://www.wowpetbattle.com
GET OWNED!
I agree completely with you Elfuego and would like to thank you for your utube videos.
They have helped a lot!!
The only two somewhat tough to get pets you use are the Son of animus and the gregarious grell.
You purposely use readily available pets.
The Mistress of RNG is an evil and vendictive mistress but if one takes the time to level the right pets and have some backs ups to account for RNG the CT can be done rather easily.
Remember though this is END GAME material .
So one must be prepared!

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » February 2nd, 2014, 8:47 am

your wrong - Blizzards turnament or trainer pets DONT use the same abilities - they are buffed by like 5% have their hitchance uped by 50%, their healthspells and speed uped by 50% and take 50% less dmg.
Ofc its a cheat but blizzard is sadly become so dumb to make any good stuff like they used to so
they go the easy way and cheat....

why do you think the number of peoples doing pet battles is as low as hc raiders?....

pet battles where fine before blizzard implemented more rng as needed with this shit called HIT....

thats the reason why pvp in the lower brakets [1 - 22] is completly dead....

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328

Post by Hootstwo » February 2nd, 2014, 9:04 am

Drudatz wrote:your wrong - Blizzards turnament or trainer pets DONT use the same abilities - they are buffed by like 5% have their hitchance uped by 50%, their healthspells and speed uped by 50% and take 50% less dmg.
Ofc its a cheat but blizzard is sadly become so dumb to make any good stuff like they used to so

why do you think the number of peoples doing pet battles is as low as hc raiders?....

pet battles where fine before blizzard implemented more rng as needed with this shit called HIT....

Wow, all this butthurt! Seriously, it's the pinnacle of pet battles, once you get there with a serious stable, it's cake. I've never actually had to forfeit the tournament other than the very first time and I only had to do it once there.

It's hard - for shame!

Drudatz
Top Rater

Post by Drudatz » February 2nd, 2014, 9:06 am

Drudatz wrote:your wrong - Blizzards turnament or trainer pets DONT use the same abilities - they are buffed by like 5% have their hitchance uped by 50%, their healthspells and speed uped by 50% and take 50% less dmg.

PS: best to show how bull blizzard pet battle has turned into: I cant tell how often I have seen that my first hit, with 95%! hitchance has missed and i played like over 7k games....
(anyone telling youthe hit chances are correct is straight lying to your face they are not)
PS2: thats the trend of user pets latly btw too using cheats, ie Valkyre can haunt you AFTER shes dead (makes sense....)
Pets getting faster and faster (wod will see pets with speed of 400 so much for itemsquish eh....)

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » February 2nd, 2014, 12:47 pm

Drudatz wrote:PS: best to show how bull blizzard pet battle has turned into: [...]
I'm sure Blizzard is aware of the many bugs and oddities in Pet Battles, and are working on resolving them. We just need to remain patient and positive, while giving them helpful feedback for future changes/fixes.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Drudatz
Top Rater

Post by Drudatz » February 2nd, 2014, 1:01 pm

Hootstwo wrote:It's hard - for shame!
ANd your stupid ignorant. the tournament is NOT hard at all.
RNG != Hard... but you probably also think TI is awsome content :-P
Quintessence wrote:I'm sure Blizzard is aware of the many bugs and oddities in Pet Battles, and are working on resolving them. We just need to remain patient and positive, while giving them helpful feedback for future changes/fixes.
Yes right, like they care and fix the bugs the farm has since release right? ^^
Last edited by Drudatz on February 2nd, 2014, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » February 2nd, 2014, 1:22 pm

We all have different opinions, but please remember to be respectful when discussing them.

[profile]Drudatz[/profile], please do not use personal attacks towards other users. If there is an opinion that you simply cannot agree with but have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, it's better to just move on.

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840

Post by Badpathing » February 2nd, 2014, 3:09 pm

TBH, I am starting to think that the OP is a bit trollish. Your threads seem to have a similar theme; "poor me, things are unfair" and the community spends a lot of time spelling out, what to me, is fairly obvious. I have myself offered some advice in your other thread.

My best advice to you, if you are not trying to troll, is to just do some research.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » February 2nd, 2014, 4:36 pm

Drudatz wrote:

PS: best to show how bull blizzard pet battle has turned into: I cant tell how often I have seen that my first hit, with 95%! hitchance has missed and i played like over 7k games....
(anyone telling youthe hit chances are correct is straight lying to your face they are not)
PS2: thats the trend of user pets latly btw too using cheats, ie Valkyre can haunt you AFTER shes dead (makes sense....)
Pets getting faster and faster (wod will see pets with speed of 400 so much for itemsquish eh....)

you do understand what random means right??
it is the way to keep things fresh if everything went as scripted it would get boring fast.
have you ever raided? bosses one can have on farm can critical hit and cause a wipe it is the way things are.
it is suppose to be tough it is END GAME material.
if one puts the time in and has the right pets and looks up some strategies it is rather easy.
kinda like raiding.

Beana
Top Rater
Pet Score:13370
BattleTag®:Beana#1484
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Beana » February 2nd, 2014, 4:54 pm

I am going to post and agree with whoever claimed this at this point seems "trollish" Ryan you claim this topic wasn't going to be exactly like your other one about you hating the CT....and yet, that's exactly what it turned out to be again.

Flopsyhunt
Pet Score:2683
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Flopsyhunt » February 2nd, 2014, 5:32 pm

The problem with pet battles is that failure doesn't leave the player with a great sense of success. Though hitting the many RNG-driven and other walls makes for incredible frustration. That is their failure in game design.

A well-designed pet battles would have challenging elements, but ways to figure them out, without requiring trips to outside resources. You should be able to figure out what you are doing and customize it.

They need more training in pet battles. The "trainers" are just hurdles to overcome, not true trainers. You cannot turn on "tell me what I am doing wrong" mode to help yourself learn.

This means that something like the tournament is not a true challenge, but rather just a huge pain. Some continue to do it over time, but most do not, whether they succeed or not. Many of us keep going back to old dungeons and raids, but that is not true with many of these things. You may tolerate the trainers, for example, to level pets and for the stones, but they are not compelling content otherwise.

It is possible that pet battles is too simple to accomplish this, but more in game ways to learn things would be far better than the current method of needing to go to a third party site, however good, to find the "secret decoder ring" (possibly one of several) that then will make the content trivial once you have leveled the right pets. That is then just an issue of grinding out the trainers and/or lots of trivial battles. Minimal strategy and nothing engaging after the first cut.

How challenging is the tournament for those of you who have the master codes? A few of you may go back and run it repeatedly to try different teams, but I am guessing that is a small number.

Drudatz
Top Rater

Post by Drudatz » February 2nd, 2014, 6:34 pm

Quintessence wrote:[profile]Drudatz[/profile], please do not
Thanks that Hootstwo is excused from that....
PS: what did that post to add to the conversation? :twisted:
Digem wrote:you do understand what random means right??
it is the way to keep things fresh if everything went as scripted it would get boring fast.
Seriously? RNG is okay...cheating the system like Blizzard does cause they have no serious ideas anymore is not....
PS: your PB vs Raid comparison fails - If you have a boss on farm theres nothing that screws you up while in pet battle every fight is different.

Its excactly as Flopsyhunt pointed out and ended like I said right after the Cat disaster
while solutions would be so easy....
(ie for starters no 3 same pets in one team, like 3 dino, 3 cats, 3 snakes, you get the drift...)

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » February 2nd, 2014, 7:21 pm

Badpathing wrote:TBH, I am starting to think that the OP is a bit trollish.
This really does seem to be turning into a thread that is just meant to get a rise out of people who enjoy pet-battles and all things about them. Some of the remarks from argumentative posters here seem to be following that trend.
@TamerWakamaru