Addon Rematch

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us
Re: Addon Rematch

Post by Gello » May 14th, 2015, 10:25 am

Also in the update posted today, there's a new little feature I can't decide if it's obnoxious or maybe cool. Let me know if you have strong feelings one way or the other.

It's off by default but you can turn it on by going into options, going to the team tab section and checking "Show mouseover buttons".

To try and cut down on the right-clickiness of the addon, I'm considering doing mouseover buttons like this for teams, pets, queue and maybe loadouts in 4.0.
  • In teams it'd work like the option does in 3.5: if the little buttons aren't on a team because it has no notes, preferences or target, mouseover of the team would make faded versions appear that you can click to add notes, preferences (if team has leveling pets) and a target.
  • In pets there'd be buttons for leveling (click button to add pet to queue) and notes.
  • In queue (which will be much wider than the existing one) there'd be buttons for sending the pet to the top of the queue or removing it from the queue.
  • In loadout there'd be a button to place a leveling pet and to set notes.

Zandorian
Pet Score:3021
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Zandorian » May 14th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Gello wrote:
Zandorian wrote:PS - I also tried the saving the team under the menagerie post, but it didn't seem to work. Didn't test it more than once though, just continued using one of the pets to save under.
This may be from how we can't target the posts. You probably don't use auto load (which is fine) or have "On target only" for it.
FYI Autoload is/was checked, and On Target Only was not checked. BTW, this is not a big issue for me. Just picking one of the pets works fine for me.

Possible Breeds... Well I looked it up and learned something new. The percentage is showing the percentage of 20 possible bonus points in each category. So 25%,25%,25%, would be 5 points in each category, 15 points total, and 5 points wasted. Any way, the highlight bar would have helped my understanding. And I think text showing where you sourced it from(or that you can get it from addons) would give credit, but also reduce confusion for people that don't have it, or have lost it by removing an addon.

Lastly the mouse over buttons. I like them. I did find a glitch. They will sometimes continue to show even when no longer highlighted by the mouse. To reproduce try creating a team that will show them, that is last on the list, then use the mouse to hover down the list past that team.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » May 14th, 2015, 5:02 pm

I'm still going through the new changes, but so far the biggest turn off for me has been the loss of the reload button.

I have tons of teams saved, so trying to find it in the list to right click to reload on it is really rough to deal with.

I tend to spend a lot of time with Rematch open in the pets tab (not the teams) trying out new modifications to existing teams to make more efficient and more stable versions. I often used to use the reload button to get back to my known state so I can go a different route. The new way of putting it with the team on the team list makes that a lot more time consuming. Plus I'm not a huge fan of having to swap tabs just to reload the team.

Is there another way to load the team than right clicking on it in the teams tab and choosing load?

That said, I realize you just cannot have it the old spot with the new saving buttons, so I am not sure what a good solution would be. I'll have to think on it.

EDIT: After rereading it on the wowinterface website, I realized you can right click the team name part of the window, which gives the option. That should work for me, especially since my use case is probably pretty uncommon. See even Rematch veterans learn new things!!

I do like the new target saving mechanics. I still need to test them more, but I like the idea so far.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » May 14th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Sinistra03 wrote:The target saving mechanics are awesome. A little late to the game obviously, but I went through and made teams from the guides here and from my own strategies for all the WOD and MOP tamers, complete with notes that tell me how to do each fight as speedily as possible and that tell me where to go next. Loading teams based on target helps makes speed clearing all of them in under an hour doable! Hurray!

Suggestions:
1) The leveling queue is my second favorite part of this add on. If there was a way to set a level limit to the queue, I would use that. For example, I power level pets to 23-24 from the trainers, and then use a stone for the last level or two, so I don't waste trainer XP. If the leveling queue kicked my pets to the bottom of the queue at level x (set at 21), could be nifty.

2) Auto Revive Battle Pets after trainers defeated option (farming garrison daily on 11 alts).
You can already set a max level for the team so that they are removed from the queue when they get to a set level.

Gello

Post by Gello » May 14th, 2015, 8:46 pm

What Kpb321 said. Specifically, if you right-click a team with a leveling pet and choose "Preferences" (or have the new "Show mouseover buttons" options enabled and click the preferences button beside a team) you can enter 23 for the trainer teams and it will prefer pets under level 23. You can enter partial amounts too, like level 23.45 is level 23 and 45% towards 24. The pets aren't actually kicked from the queue. They're just skipped over when that team loads (unless there's no preferred pets remaining).

If you mean have the addon automatically cast revive when you leave a battle, addons can't do that sorry. :( The revive button is an actual spell and has to obey all of the addon/macro rules for spells.

Going to a bit earlier in the thread, on the challenge posts, after some experimenting this may be easier than I thought. I've got a system set up where if you mouseover/target one npcID it will think you're interacting with another (its challenge post). For those with saved teams already for those pets, it will "grandfather" them in by not doing the redirect if a team is saved for the npc. But if you target Rockbiter, Stonechewer or Acidtooth (and you don't have a team saved for that target) it will "target" their challenge post instead.

edit: I had time last night/this morning to implement the latter, and update posted this morning (3.5.3) should now treat all challenge post pets as if they were the post themselves. You can edit the target on your existing teams to its challenge post or keep doing what you were doing before or wait to see how it's working for others before commiting any change. I entered the npcIDs by hand from wowhead so it's possible there's some typos. Let me know if any post/pet isn't reacting properly.

Darkrose8519
Pet Score:5043
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Darkrose8519 » May 19th, 2015, 7:04 pm

forgive me for not going back and reading 23 pages but I was wondering if with the queue/lvling is there a way to set it so so if if critters wouldn't do well in a certain team it would skip over a critter and put the next pet in its place, for example i know of at least one trainer that if you use a critter as a lvling pet it needs to have far more health than it would if it was another type to be able to survive and therefore would need to be a much higher level than another type, so in that case I'd rather just skip the critter and not bother with it in that battle, but use something else that would survive a little easier.

Gello

Post by Gello » May 19th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Darkrose8519 wrote:forgive me for not going back and reading 23 pages but I was wondering if with the queue/lvling is there a way to set it so so if if critters wouldn't do well in a certain team it would skip over a critter and put the next pet in its place, for example i know of at least one trainer that if you use a critter as a lvling pet it needs to have far more health than it would if it was another type to be able to survive and therefore would need to be a much higher level than another type, so in that case I'd rather just skip the critter and not bother with it in that battle, but use something else that would survive a little easier.
You can set preferences so it will skip over pets that don't have enough hp, and also factor in vulnerabilities for pet type. For instance if a critter needs a lot more hp, it's likely due to beast damage expected:
  • Right-click the trainer's team and click Preferences.
  • Enter a minimum health (like 500, whatever damage a leveling pet needs to survive). The queue will now prefer pets that have at least 500 health and skip over those with less.
  • Now click the Beast button under expected damage taken. This will automatically adjust the minimum health for critters to 750 (since they take 50% more damage from beast attacks) and the minimum health for flying pets to 333 (since they take 33% less damage from beast attacks).
  • Then accept the changes.

Darkrose8519
Pet Score:5043
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Darkrose8519 » May 21st, 2015, 9:12 pm

Gello wrote:
Darkrose8519 wrote:forgive me for not going back and reading 23 pages but I was wondering if with the queue/lvling is there a way to set it so so if if critters wouldn't do well in a certain team it would skip over a critter and put the next pet in its place, for example i know of at least one trainer that if you use a critter as a lvling pet it needs to have far more health than it would if it was another type to be able to survive and therefore would need to be a much higher level than another type, so in that case I'd rather just skip the critter and not bother with it in that battle, but use something else that would survive a little easier.
You can set preferences so it will skip over pets that don't have enough hp, and also factor in vulnerabilities for pet type. For instance if a critter needs a lot more hp, it's likely due to beast damage expected:
  • Right-click the trainer's team and click Preferences.
  • Enter a minimum health (like 500, whatever damage a leveling pet needs to survive). The queue will now prefer pets that have at least 500 health and skip over those with less.
  • Now click the Beast button under expected damage taken. This will automatically adjust the minimum health for critters to 750 (since they take 50% more damage from beast attacks) and the minimum health for flying pets to 333 (since they take 33% less damage from beast attacks).
  • Then accept the changes.

Thank you! i found it :D

Ilostmahbucket
Pet Score:4118
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Ilostmahbucket » May 28th, 2015, 7:05 pm

Is there a way for the addon to display the Type passive when you mouseover it?

Gello

Post by Gello » May 28th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Ilostmahbucket wrote:Is there a way for the addon to display the Type passive when you mouseover it?
That's definitely missing. An issue is there's not much space to put it. I'll tinker with it this weekend.

edit: elemental racial text is annoyingly long lol

I don't think that'd work. Maybe mouseover of the type button can show the racial where the lore text is.

The whole card is being redone so probably nothing too drastic for 3.x. But I'm open to suggestions.

edit2: Decided to just create shortened version of passive texts that are too long and put them in the spot like above. It means it'll not be translated for the other clients but since it's a temporary fix it's probably fine. Had a couple other minor changes to make so posted an update this morning.

Gello

Post by Gello » May 30th, 2015, 5:46 pm

I'm looking for some feedback and maybe suggestions (especially regarding team list).

Here's a screenshot of a current layout:

http://i.imgur.com/fc5IYE7.png

Some notes for context:
- This journal is 20% wider than the default journal and can be turned off to restore to the default journal (in this work-in-progress version, that checkbox at the top turns the new journal on/off).
- It's still very early, so many buttons are not in yet (save, save as, import along bottom; bandages, safari hat across top)
- Across the bottom right will be tabs to switch the third panel (teams) between teams, queue and options. (It just looked awful with the queue crammed in there as a narrow window, so the queue is being made into its own panel).
- You'll be able to bring up a single panel that can be dragged around the screen and minimized to the "horizontal" view of pets with the loaded team as a titlebar and important buttons across the bottom.
- The whole concept of modular panels depends on each panel being the same size and self-contained.

The favorite star out to the side is because I'm toying with turning those into clickable mouseover buttons: mouseover a pet and a faded star will appear if it's not already there. Click the faded star to favorite a pet/team; click the solid one to unfavorite a pet/team. I'm still undecided on this because the mouseover business necessarily makes clicking the pet or team require not clicking those buttons. So it feels kind of awkward and will maybe be annoying with tooltips vs pet card flashing on/off as you move the mouse around the UI. In the unfinished team list you can see all teams have all mouseover buttons showing. Because mouseover of pets on the team brings up the pet card for the pet (which you can click to pick up the pet too), and mouseover of those buttons to the right brings up a tooltip/notes (and also intercept click to toggle favorite, set notes, etc), you kinda have to click either across the top of the button or dead center to load a team. (There is no "team card" planned; you can mouseover the pets in the team list directly, and to load a team you click the team in the list.)

I've considered making the mouseover buttons on the team vertical but then there's this huge space in the middle. Not sure what to do with there.

I've also considered just doing away with mouseover buttons since they seem to add a lot of clutter. Move the favorite star back to corner of pet/team and just have a notes button+leveling button for both pets and teams. Whether a team has a target can remain the white name/gold name thing.

Also I fear showing 6 teams at a time may not be enough. When you look at a tab of teams it will often require a bit of scrolling with so few teams shown.

So I'm really open to suggestions or just feedback. Is it too "busy"? To dense still? Cryptic? Too much space wasted on obvious stuff?

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » May 31st, 2015, 3:18 pm

My very first thought when I looked at the image was that the teams pane on the right wouldn't show enough teams at once. It does feel like there are too few shown.

My second thought was there was a lot of wasted space. The hard part here is I can't really pinpoint what exactly it is that is giving me that thought though, which I know isn't helpful at all. The currently loaded team pane above the team selection list: is there a way to use existing info (the stuff in the middle or the list itself) to show the currently loaded team?

The four small icons to the right of the team name/team pets take up a lot of relative space for the information they provide. Are they needed for the list view or can they be moved to something else?

Additionally, the recently targetted pane seems large. Perhaps move that to the dialog where you save a team (or is there one now? I'm assuming there will be some dialogs since the current selected pet frame isn't on the image provided)?

Sorry! I realize I am not giving lots of solutions and just a lot of feelings this time. We just got back from a long weekend, so I am drained atm.

EDIT: That all sounded too negative. I really did like the overall look/feel.

Gello

Post by Gello » May 31st, 2015, 4:28 pm

I don't mind negativity at all, in fact it's what I'm looking for. :p

I agree there were way too few teams shown at once and those little icons to the right were too much. This is a bit after some tinkering last night:

http://i.imgur.com/M9Y6Icr.png

Undecided on whether I like a list of teams without seeing what pets are in them. I could continue to do the team card tooltip to see what pets are in a team. Though I'd like teams to load on a single-click. Team preferences and target info can be on the card.

The "Recently Loaded" bit at the top of teams is so you can click the panel to reload a team and know what was in the team loaded. But maybe you're right it's a bit excessive. I could have the "Battle Pet Slots" change to the name of the loaded team, still clickable to reload the current team. Then the team list could take up the whole panel.

I had a passing thought to put types a team is strong and weak against in the recently loaded panel, but maybe that's just searching for stuff to fill up space and should be avoided.

There will be dialogs still yeah.

The "Recently Targeted" panel serves a few purposes:
- A user is going to know when they want to load/reload a team more than the addon can ever know. Instead of a bunch of rules on when to trigger a prompt to load, this panel always being there lets someone load a team when they want.
- In the existing version (especially for those who don't know about reload), to load a target's team after you've interacted with the target you sometimes have to try triggering a prompt to load. (Team has loaded and you made changes, or auto loaded and already interacted, interacted and switched to another team so reload won't work, etc)
- Those without auto show/auto load (the default behavior of the addon) wouldn't have prompts at all. A user can summon the window and click to load after interacting with the target.
- Minimizing prompts is something I'm trying to do with this panel. The yes/no prompts don't need need to be answered, but it's perhaps human nature to drop everything to answer them when they appear. My hope is the addon will seem less intrusive with less prompts.
- For all users (those with/without auto show/auto load enabled), it would be immediately apparent that they don't have a team saved for the target. It'd also serve as a "passive prompt" to save one if they want.
- The panel is also a way to "target" the untargetable challenge posts. (Whenever you target a NPC it will appear in the panel; and a special case of whenever you mouseover a challenge post if you don't have a target already.)
- Lastly, since this journal is rather large, it may obscure your target on screen so I thought it'd be convenient to have it on the window as a mental reminder. (Not an issue for those using the portable mode when panels are draggable around the screen)

All that said, it's not a concept I'm totally tied to. And it can definitely be made smaller.

I've wondered if the loadout slots look too busy/crowded. I've considered dropping the model on them and shifting abilities a bit to the right to give it more space. Or not. I've toyed with zooming the camera in a bit too, but then the cutoff to the border makes it look a bit weird.

On the pet list/browser panel, here are a couple earlier contenders:

http://i.imgur.com/bt6QBvX.png

It's mildly ironic how much time was spent on trying different formats and the end result looks very similar to default's. (But I guess they're real professional UI designers so I should emulate them whenever possible!) The left one had issues with a consistent way to show rarity in loadout slots, and the right one felt a little too cramped. A guiding principle has been that pet names should never wrap sooner than they would in the default UI.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » May 31st, 2015, 6:18 pm

Gello wrote: Undecided on whether I like a list of teams without seeing what pets are in them. I could continue to do the team card tooltip to see what pets are in a team. Though I'd like teams to load on a single-click. Team preferences and target info can be on the card.
I think you still do want to see the teams since you can technically name two teams with the same name (or can you?).
Gello wrote: I had a passing thought to put types a team is strong and weak against in the recently loaded panel, but maybe that's just searching for stuff to fill up space and should be avoided.
If that is listed elsewhere, then I would probably lean towards not needed on the recently loaded.

Gello wrote: The "Recently Targeted" panel serves a few purposes:
- A user is going to know when they want to load/reload a team more than the addon can ever know. Instead of a bunch of rules on when to trigger a prompt to load, this panel always being there lets someone load a team when they want.
- In the existing version (especially for those who don't know about reload), to load a target's team after you've interacted with the target you sometimes have to try triggering a prompt to load. (Team has loaded and you made changes, or auto loaded and already interacted, interacted and switched to another team so reload won't work, etc)
- Those without auto show/auto load (the default behavior of the addon) wouldn't have prompts at all. A user can summon the window and click to load after interacting with the target.
- Minimizing prompts is something I'm trying to do with this panel. The yes/no prompts don't need need to be answered, but it's perhaps human nature to drop everything to answer them when they appear. My hope is the addon will seem less intrusive with less prompts.
- For all users (those with/without auto show/auto load enabled), it would be immediately apparent that they don't have a team saved for the target. It'd also serve as a "passive prompt" to save one if they want.
- The panel is also a way to "target" the untargetable challenge posts. (Whenever you target a NPC it will appear in the panel; and a special case of whenever you mouseover a challenge post if you don't have a target already.)
- Lastly, since this journal is rather large, it may obscure your target on screen so I thought it'd be convenient to have it on the window as a mental reminder. (Not an issue for those using the portable mode when panels are draggable around the screen)
Some very good points. I wasn't considering the challenge posts or switching to a different team. I was thinking more on the the saving aspect (where you do get a prompt so it makes sense), but as you pointed out those other issues exist.
Gello wrote: I've wondered if the loadout slots look too busy/crowded. I've considered dropping the model on them and shifting abilities a bit to the right to give it more space. Or not. I've toyed with zooming the camera in a bit too, but then the cutoff to the border makes it look a bit weird.
Are the loadout slots the ones with the individual team pets? If so, then I would go either with no models or the regular sized models vs zooming. They are gonna add pets with all kinds of size images. You probably don't want to have to deal with bug reports of specific pet images not looking right.
Gello wrote: On the pet list/browser panel, here are a couple earlier contenders:

http://i.imgur.com/bt6QBvX.png
Out of the old ones, I like the right one. I also liked the one in your updated full picture. The one on the left puts the breeds under the names, which is not as useful for me visually...it kinda hides the breeds (in plain site, but very busy). Having the breeds on the right with the icons works because it isn't all text over there so you can easily pick out the breed text.
Gello wrote: It's mildly ironic how much time was spent on trying different formats and the end result looks very similar to default's. (But I guess they're real professional UI designers so I should emulate them whenever possible!) The left one had issues with a consistent way to show rarity in loadout slots, and the right one felt a little too cramped. A guiding principle has been that pet names should never wrap sooner than they would in the default UI.
So thoughts on perhaps going the PBT approach and slightly modifying the default and attaching the team portion (and the queue portion) as an extended part of the window (you could tab them together if you didn't want two tabs.

something like below (though with your changes to the pet browser...I just don't have the paint skills to put all your stuff in the pic):
http://i57.tinypic.com/16ih8r8.jpg

You could put the recently targeted in the open space below or shift stuff and have it above. That way you gain some vertical space you lose to the default journal. You also increase horizontal space, but if it has a clickable on/off then it shouldn't be a problem for those who want more screen space. It might also support detachability that way?

EDIT: forgive my paint skills but:
http://i58.tinypic.com/33cya76.jpg

I know it doesn't look right (I stretched/copy/pasted stuff) and I probably left out some small details, but it takes a lot of burden off of you to recreate things you may not need to.

Gello

Post by Gello » May 31st, 2015, 8:11 pm

Yeah teams can be named the same that's a good point. It's pretty important to get icons in there. I wanted to avoid wrapping text too much but maybe I can shove the tabs out to the edge of the window to make some room. The guild bank and spellbook have those tabs sticking out of the right of their frames so it'd look more consistent with the rest of the UI.

Removing the "Recently Loaded" and putting it in place of the "Battle Pet Slots" area (which does nothing otherwise):

http://i.imgur.com/Ek0BA55.png

I like it much better. If no team is loaded it'd say "Battle Pet Slots", and when a team is loaded it'd be the name of the team. Click to reload the team, mouseover/click notes, and a button to the left would take you to the team tab and scroll to the team.

On attaching teams/queue/options to the right of the default journal: it's a very good idea, but I'd still need to create a replacement for the loadout/default pet card in order to make a portable window.

Thanks for the feedback! This is really helpful and I wish I'd asked earlier. If anyone else has thoughts I'd love to hear it too.

edit: The following has tabs moved off edge of frame (which means teams tab will always need to be right-most panel in a multi-panel setup but that's livable) to make more room for icons. Looking much better tho I may tweak the size of the little icons a bit. Some word wrapping of the longer team names but I think that's tolerable.

http://i.imgur.com/bb6Fjsj.png

edit2: After some tweaking: http://i.imgur.com/ijmE8RX.png

edit3: The loadout slots with and without models: http://i.imgur.com/yQuyKND.png

I think it looks "cleaner" without the models. But the animated models adds character. I'm leaning to keeping them in.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » June 1st, 2015, 6:54 am

I like it with the models better. You are right that without looks cleaner, but they bring an interesting charm.

Another thought: You are actually starting to get more Rematch users on the official pet forums every day (at least I see new ones post each time someone asks about addons). You might start a thread there as well.

EDIT: Testing thought, but if you want to practice with pet name wrapping, then Netherspawn, Spawn of Netherspawn has the award for longest pet name ever. Couple that with a custom name on it and you can probably see how long names work in terms of space available. It's also super easy to get if you don't have it already.

Gello

Post by Gello » June 15th, 2015, 7:53 pm

I finally have time this week to do some serious work on the addon. While that happens, this is the latest incarnation of the UI if any want to give feedback:

http://i.imgur.com/irDrU2N.png
(warning it's a ~1200x600 image)

I'm working on this in a "staging" frame so these are screenshots of each panel cropped and slapped together. In game you'd never see more than three at once (pets/loadout/teams or pets/loadout/queue) and they'd line up perfectly.

I moved the loaded team back to the team panel. It felt really out of place on the loadout panel. I think the team tab is the best place. Like everything else visible (except the "headers") it's a clickable button and highlights to suggest it's clickable; for the loaded team it will reload the team just as clicking a team anywhere in the list will load what you click. And clicking the recent target panel will load the team if you have one there too.

I'm wondering if I overdid it with the "headers" thing. Without them, there's no real context for what a user is looking at. It's just a huge mass of pets all over the UI. A few of those headers will be used for extra information: pet list header will display number of pets and list filters used or owned/unique pets if no filters used, queue list header will display number of queued pets and the active sort mode if one is going, team list header will display number of teams and the name of the tab you're in.

Thoughts?

Voskres
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
BattleTag®:Vosk#1999
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Voskres » June 16th, 2015, 10:01 pm

I just got SSD drive and have everything on it. I still have my old drive hooked up for storage.

I want my old teams. I copied the entire addon folder but it didn't import teams.

Where is that data kept?