Help Me with the Celestial Tournament

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Flopsyhunt
Pet Score:2683
Realm:Icecrown-us
Help Me with the Celestial Tournament

Post by Flopsyhunt » December 17th, 2013, 2:40 am

I finally decided to try the Celestial Tournament after getting wiped out when I tried it quite a while ago. I proceeded to waste too much of my evening in a vain attempt to overcome, mostly using advice from Wowhead. (I couldn't find the posts here.)

I am very annoyed at Blizzard now as I think this is another one of those things you need to the "secret decode ring" to solve rather than something else.

My pets are all imported into here, with perhaps a tiny bit of leveling since. Any specific teams each of you would recommend for me to try next week? Any specific pets I should get to 25 first?

I faced Chen, Wrathion and Taran Zhu this week, though I wiped repeatedly on Chen and never got to Taran Zhu. The trainers this week are likely to be different though.

Astraldr0p
Pet Score:4511
Realm:Dalaran-us

Re: Help Me with the Celestial Tournament

Post by Astraldr0p » December 17th, 2013, 3:22 am

Tbh, there is really no "good" way and the best thing is to try out the different methods that the people posted and pray the RNG gods are on your side.

I do see that you do have to level some more pets. Pandaren Monk almost one-shots Yu'la, Grab two Rapana Whelks from Dread Wastes to help with Chi-chi, The burst team: Unborn + Pandaren Water Spirit + Chrominius spanks Xu-fu and I use two Zandalari Anklerenders (though one black claw and the rest is hunting party) and a Sunreaver Micro Sentry for Nuizao.

The problem are the four before the celestials, which not a lot of people seem to post. Tomorrow would be three more trainers for you to beat.

I think tomorrow would be Wise Mari, Bling-a-tron, and Kiryn.

For Wise Mari, I used Amber Moth, Scourged Whelping, and Mirror Strider
For Bling-a-tron, I used a moth, Cinder Kitten and Lil Rag
For Kiryn, I used Crawling Claw, Fluxfire Feline and Amethyst Shale Hatchling

If it helps, even when I have my teams, I still end up with bad RNG and could spend almost 30 mins trying to win. Part is being stubborn and another could be because I didnt have enough pets leveled.

If you are on a leveling fix, look for teams to beat Cho, Ion and Sully.

For Cho, I used a Nordrassil Wisp, Emerald Proto and Peddlefeet
For Ion: Celestial Dragon, Scourged Whelping, a Moth
For Sully: Glowfly, any beast, Sea Gull.

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Nagini » December 17th, 2013, 3:55 am

there are many different options for the trainers, though some require a little more strategy then others... there was a post combining them all, i think, so if you really want all the options i'd suggest looking for that.

Like the previous poster, i'd highly suggest leveling chrominus (you already have a water spirit at 25) you don't even need an unborn valk for that team to take out most celestials easy (geiser+whirphool, swap to chrominus, howl--> surge of power will eat xufu and chichi. for nizao, use howl,bite,surge of power instead after the swap). you have a gregarious grell at 25 which will easily take care of yu'la by himself(1,2,1, make sure to phase shift to avoid her liftof coming down)

for the earlier trainers, these were my teams:(next weeks wise mari, kyrin and blingtron give me the most issues, so beware that week might be difficult)
wise mari: crow(open with peck, then call darkness), dragonling(heal+tailswipe thill dead), crab(any, just keep attacking)
kyrin: restless shadeling, ragnaros, darkmoon zeppelin
blingtron: any water strider, electrified razortooth,fell flame.

sully: any frog, alpine fox or other beast with howl, any moth.
dr goldbloom:azure whelp, clockwork gnome (1,1,1), restless shadeling
lorewalker Cho: celestial dragon, any spider, scourged whelp

tharan zhu:unborn valk, S/S moth, another moth(S/S is best, but doesnt have to be)
chen: clockwork gnome, zandalari raptor, snarli(or any other crocolisk, really)
wrathion: lil ragnaros and scourged whelpling, any other pet. keep using their aoe abilities.

because the tournament is pve and everything is rather scripted, learning what the opponents pets are going to do next is usefull. Also, because most of the fights are really 3times 1v1, you can mix and match with other combinations you find for a team you do have the pets for already. Don't be discouraged! When this place just came out, it took me several days to figure out what teams worked for me aswell :)

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » December 17th, 2013, 4:02 am

Thanks all. I stayed up WAY too late and tried again, combining another site's hints to sneak out a win. I will certainly be looking at these posts next week though.

I do have 1 Chromius and I am leveling a second one. I only have one Whelk, but I picked up a second while looking for Wild Hatchlings today. (EDIT: It was a shimmering snail.)

I see a couple of high level ones I need to push the rest of the way up too, such as my Voidwalker.

I had to fight Wrathion twice (different pets 2nd time) even though I squeeked a win the first time earlier in the night.

The Celestials were a bit close, but not too hard. Mr. Bigglesworth is nice, though slow. That was my final win.

Now I need to figure out which one to buy....

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » December 24th, 2013, 6:10 am

I am getting fed up with this idiotic game. It took me several tries, but I finally beat the first 4 and 2 of the celestials only to get my rear wiped by Xu-Fu.

This is stupid. Yeah, some of you wipe the floor with it, but they have added another layer of impossibility.

I ran out of week since the clock hit 5 am while I was trying, keeping me up far past when I should.

They have a good way of making this drive people away. Add this to misses well over the percentage noted, even when battling lower level pets in the wild. Frustration is not helpful.

(Yeah, I am VERY frustrated now.)

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » December 24th, 2013, 6:19 am

Xu-Fu can be a pain, but this team works pretty well and has little RNG to it. All 3 pets need to be rare, though, and I don't have time to look at your pets to see if you have them:

Start with Mechanical Yeti > Call Lightning > Ion Cannon > wait until he dies
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling > Explode (you could throw out a Bombing Run 1st, but I don't)
Darkmoon Tonk > Shock & Awe > (Missile if S&A missed) > Ion Cannon

The only bad RNG would be if S&A and Missile both miss, but I've not had that happen.

Merana
Pet Score:10003
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Post by Merana » December 24th, 2013, 8:44 am

Here's the threads you were looking for:

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... f=3&t=6509
A guide.

And the collected strategies people have posted in the celestial tournament discussion threads:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... f=3&t=7195

Huntingforfun
Top Rater
Pet Score:3126
BattleTag®:DrApocalypse#1132
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Huntingforfun » December 24th, 2013, 8:49 am

I used this guide on wowhead, it has step by step on how to win.

http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1827/how-t ... -of-chi-ji

Jaladar
Top Rater
Pet Score:13919
BattleTag®:Jaladar#11384
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Jaladar » December 24th, 2013, 9:32 am

Huntingforfun wrote:I used this guide on wowhead, it has step by step on how to win.

http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1827/how-t ... -of-chi-ji
I have been using this guide for a few weeks now and it is very good. I was using the site listed below before that.

Between the two you should have no problem other than maybe some RNG, but beware when the sites conflict as they may have you use the same pet for different teams that are needed the same week. In this case, I suggest pick one or the other and follow it for everything that week, depending upon what you have available.

The site below also has some good info for leveling pets against trainers, etc.

http://www.wowpetbattle.com

Jaladar

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » December 24th, 2013, 11:51 am

I tried the call lightning and then flock approach, but messed it up by not swapping right away. I tried several others of the same principle, even trying a Zandalari Kneebiter (or one of them) to do black/claw hunting party since I was running out of alternative teams. That died quick.

This is too much of a "find the secret decoder ring" approach to me. I don't have all 25s, but I have a fairly wide stable and I still could not figure it out. That is poor game design in my view and I see this more as a symptom of Blizzard trying to cater to the hard core rather than some really good design.

Many of you are completely bored with this, yet it is an almost complete wall for me (one single success). That is not good. It killed the good feelings I had from finding a rare Stunted Yeti and rare Spawn of Onyxia (though not a P/P one) yesterday.

Yes, I am not good enough, but the game design reinforces that instead of allowing me to find a way to proceed. I may look at the other lists, but things like this and the continual misses at other times (well above the 10% that should be expected) make me want to just quit completely.

EDIT: I was using most of Wowhead's advice this week, though it failed pretty badly for me, partially because I still don't have all the right decoder ring pets. I have enough ones that I can come close, but watching Xu-Fu heal with no healing buff was really annoying.

I finished World Safari yesterday too, but it now has no feeling of accomplishment. :(

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » December 24th, 2013, 12:01 pm

I use basically this strat.

http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1827/how-t ... -w-t-flock

I don't use any of the same pets but it is still the same strat. Call lightning pet, switch to flying pet with flock or swarm which does two things. 1 it actually does pretty good damage with call lightning up and the debuff it provides. 2 it reduces the amount he heals for because feed is weak against flying creatures. You do want your flying pet to be faster than Xufu with out the racial buff to make sure you have two rounds of the debuff left over when he dies. After that any random mechanical should do. I generally use the darkmoon tonk but with the debuff up any mechanical pet should be hitting hard. I've never lost to him with this team but looking at your pets off hand I didn't see an appropriate fly/chicken for the second pet already at lvl 25. The Captured Firefly is only available as s/s so it's a good one to level if you have it. Lil bling would probably be good on this fight but I haven't tried it. Call Lightning plus his mechanical version of flock should do very good dmg and leave the debuff up for another mechanical pet to toast him.
Last edited by Kpb321 on December 24th, 2013, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raemara
Pet Score:5125
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Raemara » December 24th, 2013, 3:30 pm

I have a couple of tried and true teams for this for 2 of the 3 sets, I'll message you what has worked for me.
Tamers Cho, Goldbloom, and Sully.

For Cho, I used Oily Slimeling, Fel Flame and Anubisath Idol. Strategy was Corrosion, Expunge, and then Ooze Touch on first tamer pet. Once down, I did Fel Flame with Immolate, Conflagrate, and Flame Breath until tamer pet was down. I then usually had enough health left to Immolate and either Flame Breath or Conflagrate the tamer's dragon. Anubisath Idol will then Demolish the dragon but watch out for dragon's attack Solar Beam is I believe the name, does lots of damage and you can use idol's Deflection to avoid it.

For Goldbloom, I used Sunreaver Micro-Sentry, Lil' Bling and my Anodized Robo Cub which you should've already leveled up cause he rocks unless something is strong against him. I did extra plating, call lightning and fel immolate until extra plating is up again and then I do that and when call lightning is up again, I use that. Once my pet is dead, I switch to Lil Bling and I do Make It Rain and then Blingtron Gift Package and then Inflation. He's usually dead shortly after and then use Anodized Robo Cub using demolish until tamer's remaining pet(s) are dead.

For Sully, I use a frog, a Flamering moth, and a snake. Frog and Snake don't matter which ones per se as long as they have Tongue Lash and Swarm of Flies on Frog and Bite and Burrow on Snake. Frog does Swarm of Flies and then Tongue Lash until Swarm of Flies is refreshed. Once tamer pet is dead, dead (he's undead) I make sure I've recently upped Swarm of Flies and do Tongue Lash, if I need to do Swarm of Flies I do that instead. Next pet is the snake for me and I use burrow and then bite until tamer pet is down and then bite until my snake is dead. Next I use my Flamering moth to Moth Dust, Cocoon Strike and Burn, repeating until tamer pets are all dead.

Now onto the elites.

For Xu-Fu I used something that has flock, be it a chicken or turkey and 2 moths that have Cocoon Strike and Moth Dust. flock pet goes first and uses their #1 attack, could be peck or Slicing wind, I prefer peck but it matters little, Xu-Fu opens with Moonstrike or something like that which is strong against the flying pets so you only get 2 attacks from this pet. The second one is flock and you use that and then die. You next hit Xu-fu with Moth Dust so that he takes a lot of damage provided you don't miss. Then you cocoon strike. either use that moth until dead or when his feed ability is up again you need to have the cocoon strike available so you might need to switch, just rinse and repeat until he's dead.

For Yu'la
Mr. Bigglesworth with claw and then ice tomb and then ice barrier, pass turn, then claw 3 more times and then ice tomb and ice barrier and pass turn until Yula is dead. I think I gave you the right amount of claws.

For Chi-Chi
I have 3 rapana whelks and I use acidic goo then ooze touch and then burrow because he does his shield from attack, switch snails out so that you are burrowing each time his shield is up and keep ooze touch on him repeat until he's dead.

Lastly, Zao

Alpine Foxling or Alpine Foxling kit, Crystal Spider and another spider, doesn't matter as long as it has brittle webbing and spiderling swarm. I have Alpine Foxling which is 25, might be able to do it at 24 but think I tried it as 23 and wasn't successful because he didn't take enough health off of Zao for my spiders to take him out. Alpine Foxling or kit does bite and then dazzling dance and howl and then is dead. Crystal spider does brittle webbing, Spiderling swarm and then crystal prison. the other spider does brittle webbing and then spiderling swarm and if Zao doesn't die on that round, you are hosed cause he heals.

Raemara
Pet Score:5125
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Raemara » December 24th, 2013, 3:32 pm

These methods were gleaned from various sources and I tried to use teams that didn't have hard to obtain pets.

Tamers Kiryn, Blingtron and Mari

For Kiryn, I used Restless Shadeling, Terrible Turnip and Mini Harvester. Strategy was Death and Decay, Phase Shift, Shadow Shock until dead, either enemy pet or you should be enemy pet. You will probably die close to the same time so then its on to Terrible Turnip which is Leech Seed, Sons of Root and Tidal Wave until dead both you and 2nd enemy pet. Extra plating with Tiny Harvester, then Demolish, Demolish and depending on enemy pet health, if he's close to dead, then Metal Fist. He does a deflection so you have to just make sure you're keeping your extra plating up and only using metal fist when he's close to dead.

For Blingtron, I used Dancing Water Skimmer, Electrified Razortooth, and Fel Flame. Strategy was Pumpx2 Healing Wave and Water Jet until he's dead. You should be on 2nd enemy pet and so you do Rip, Blood in the Water and then Devour which should take you into the 3rd pet and if my devour is done, I start over. Fel Flame is Immolate, Conflagrate and then Burn. Should kill enemy pet with not much issue.

For Mari, I use a spider, Infinite Whelpling, Nordrassil Wisp. Infinite Whelpling almost solo'd this Tail Sweep, Tail Sweep, Early Advantage, Tail Sweep, heal as needed. when Infinite Whelpling was dead, I used Wisp, Soul Ward, Flash and then Light. Obviously, RNG can play into this so you might not come as close as I did to soloing with Whelpling. Once these are down, you're on to the elites and using the same strategy I sent in the previous message :). Good luck.

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » December 24th, 2013, 7:13 pm

I got on a little while ago, but I notice my excitement for the game is not there. I just killed Ordos with a group as well as a Celestial when I got back down, but I am left with a meh feeling. Getting stomped after so much expectation really kills desire.

The desire may come back or it may not. I am an intense person in what I do, including WoW, but stuff like this tournament just kill the joy.

I think Blizzard tries for too much nostalgia with hardcore stuff and may end up killing the desire of many players to play the game in their efforts to achieve the past glory.

Sorry this is outside of pet battles a bit, though this part of pet battling certainly seems to have really made it a bummer for me.

Post by Guest » December 25th, 2013, 3:55 pm

I tried celestial tournament with the "pets I had at the time" and got my ass handed to me.

I wrote down a list of all the pets i'd need and leveled them up to 25 over the course of a few weeks (the tournament isn't going anywhere soon).

I've one-shotted the tournament every week since then up until I claimed the fourth and final pet two weeks ago, whereby I stopped doing the tournament.
Because the three "champions" change every week, not many people write up guides. I can only recommend here that you youtube fights against the champions and grab the pets you'll need and level them up too. There are some extremely good youtube videos showing you how to annihilate the champions.
Shademaster Ki'ryn for example is quite easy when you use a valkyr with haunt, terrible turnip with sons of the root to destroy the mechanical, etc.
The youtube videos I used, all used pets that are obtainable through the game (and usually not the expensive pets either). None of this "You need a pet store pet" rubbish like pandaren monk for yula etc.

As for the celestials, I do the 4 celestials in this order:

Xu-Fu
Darkmoon Zepplin (start with missile then decoy, then missile until the round before you think you will die and use explode on that round. The decoy takes a "feed" and xufu doesn't heal at all. Explode does 35% of his health and he's usually left nearly dead)
Darkmoon Tonk (possibly a missile or Ion Cannon depending on how low he is.)
Menagerie Custodian (Ion Cannon - but i never usually need this pet at all)

Chi-ji
Rapana Whelk (Keep up the debuff which increases damage by 25%, Use Dive on round 3 to "waste" his ethereal move and dodge a round of quills)
Shimmering Snail (same as whelk. Use dive on a "3rd round" 3/6/9 etc to dodge an "ethereal" and a quills. Otherwise keep up the 25% debuff and use whichever slot 1 attack does more vs flying.)
Arcane Eye (arcane beams. Never Ever Ever try to use any other ability).

With seriously bad RNG failures, this team CAN still lose. See Yula team for "backup". If the team fails, I use Yula's team instead because Niuzao will always use a non damage ability on round 1 meaning you can have a temporary team with pandaren water spirit (hurt), chrominius (hurt) and ANY pet with a group heal spell. Start the niuzao fight and on round 1 use group heal and then forfeit the fight. This way you defeat Chiji with the team and heal them up on niuzao and reuse the pets again on yula.

Niuzao
Sunreaver Microsentry (fel immolate, Call Lightning, Switch)
Zandalari Kneebiter (Black Claw, Hunting Party) (zao dies) (kneebiter is left on 250 ish health) (P/P breed)
Zandalari Anklerender (never use)
With the above moveset, I've never had RNG cause a failure.

Yu'la
Water Spirit (Geyser, Whirlpool, Switch)
Chrominius (Howl, Bite, Surge of Power) (takes bad damage but should survive)
Azure Whelping (Surge of Power) Yula dies.

Never had this yula strategy fail.

Pet Gaps:
As far as your pets go, you have everything you need. The three pets I would definitely level up are Mr Grubbs, Stitched Pup and Restless Shadeling for the champion with 3 monks. These three, even with poor rng can win most of the time. I start this weeks champions with the monk champion everytime just in case. (won 10, lost 1)

It's hard to say "use ability X in round 1,2,3 etc" for this fight because lots of things change and you need to think with what you have.
I start the fight with Grubbs and a Dive (monk hits you but then blackout kick will miss while you're underground meaning no stun).
For the monk with bandage heal get stitched pup in asap and howl > bite (does silly damage against him).

I remember trying this team for the first time and not really understanding what to do and I lost by 3 hps. Once I'd practiced the fight a couple of times and nailed down what they did I did the fight and wrote it down step by step so that when I won, I had the winning formula written down for next time (and there will be a next time!).

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » December 26th, 2013, 12:26 am

I will try that and your post even has me motivated to run the Mists leveling loop now. I managed to take out the 3 monk group already, though I don't remember what I used. I even got the "beat all trainers" achievement last time, I just got stopped cold with the Celestial.

This game still has far too many frustrating things.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » December 26th, 2013, 12:33 pm

I noticed something today. Dot up tactics works greatly on Chi-Chi, whos to say it doesnt work on the other celestial pets? The boss buff doesnt allow for high nukes as much as you want to, not to say they dont work at all because they do. On Xu-Fu I've read many people use Flock from a bird against him together with Call Lightning. That made me realize 2 things.

Call Lightning boost mech dmg wwith 25% and also adds a flat value to every attack, which is very good to dots and multi attacks. However the flat value depends on your pets attack, so I see many people using the Yeti, why not use Thundering Serpent Hatchling which has the highest power on Call Lightning ingame?

Secondly instead of using Flock, why not use Inflation from Lil' Bling? Its first flock type abilty as mechanical, thats gotta hurt, double buffed from the 341ATK Call Lightning. And just to make your pants more wet, why not toss in the mechanical version of Nut Barrage (Make It Rain) before your first Inflation? Lil' Bling is 325s so it goes first+it has a ress turn for one extra round of Inflation. The synergy got to be insane on paper, I would test it myself but my Lil' Bling is level1. Anyone ever done this?!

Thundering Serpent Hatchling: Call Lightning, switch to Lil' Bling
Lil Bling: Make it Rain, Inflation, profit?

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » December 26th, 2013, 1:17 pm

I could try it next week as I've got both pets leveled up and don't use either one of them in any of my other teams but I do have one counter point. Part of the reason to use a flying pet with flock or swarm is that both spirit claws and feed are weak against flying. Spirit claws being weak probably just cancels out the mechanical racials extra turn but it does also decrease the healing provided by feed as it heals you for the dmg done. The question would be does Make it rain and Inflation combo add more damage to the combo than the flyer saves in healing.

My team for this is normally a Tranquil Mechanical Yeti, the Firefly (captured firefly) and darkmoon tonk. I've never had any problems with this team and like the yeti as it provides some insurance with big mechanical attacks should you need help finishing Xu-Fu for some reason which a Thundering Serpent Hatchling doesn't. Checking the pet pages here and assuming the extra damage from call lightning benefits from the 25% increase the Thundering Serpent Hatchling is going to deal 9 more damage than the yeti on each attack which assuming 3 hits from Inflation and one from Make it Rain per turn that is 36 extra damage per turn. Not a huge difference compared to having a backup ion cannon IMO.

Huntingforfun
Top Rater
Pet Score:3126
BattleTag®:DrApocalypse#1132
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Huntingforfun » December 26th, 2013, 2:08 pm

IDK what the problem is, I followed the guide on wowhead to a T. It has round by round guides and 9/10 times my battles go exactly as the guide said it would. Three weeks in a row now I have wrecked the tournament. The guide also doesn't use impossible to obtain pets (except the valk which I just substituted for Water Pandaren Spirit/Chromious Nuke Strat) and it works fine. Also with the wowhead strat some of my pets are green and it still works. This imo is the equivalent of raiding with pets since it takes time, strat and skill to beat.

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » December 27th, 2013, 12:28 am

Huntingforfun wrote:IDK what the problem is, I followed the guide on wowhead to a T. It has round by round guides and 9/10 times my battles go exactly as the guide said it would. Three weeks in a row now I have wrecked the tournament. The guide also doesn't use impossible to obtain pets (except the valk which I just substituted for Water Pandaren Spirit/Chromious Nuke Strat) and it works fine. Also with the wowhead strat some of my pets are green and it still works. This imo is the equivalent of raiding with pets since it takes time, strat and skill to beat.
Nordrassil Wisps seemed a bit sparse in any rarity if I remember right. A few others on their list are that way as well. It may work well, but acquiring those pets may take quite a while.

EDIT: I would also add that the Dark Moon Faire rabbit is a bit hard to get (to put it mildly) and one is in their list. Another is the crawling claw, which requires a lot of archeology leveling and luck. Not an easy list to beat.

It would be close to raiding if you didn't have to start over with a fail point. You have to go all the way back to the start as it is now if you lose key pets due to your stupidity or RNG.