Need a Sudden Death mechanic?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Adezero
Pet Score:3572
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us
Re: Need a Sudden Death mechanic?

Post by Adezero » March 4th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Tuatha wrote:
Digem wrote:what?
how is 50 or 60 rounds not enough time to win in?
how is that possibly cramping ones play style to have some sort of debuff to start happening after then?
last time I checked all bosses have enrage timers.
how in the world is pet battle that lasts longer than 50 to 60 rounds fun?
and even then if the debuff started then it could still go on 20 rounds or so.
their is no way making a fight speed up after 50 to 60 rounds is "dumbing" it down.
the only reason to shoot for that long of a fight is to hope for opponents to flee.
if that is what you want the easy win due to that isn't that "dumbing" it down or at least admit that is your goal and I am fine with it don't claim the sanctity of the game is being played with making one pet battle speed up after 50 to 60 rounds.

come on :roll:
I disagree.

First, you are not a boss. You may nerd-rage, but there is no enrage timer for you. There used to be no timer in the arena either, but now it's what, 45 minutes? Not exactly a 5 minute boss enrage timer. Also, have you ever seen a pet in the Celestial Tournament enrage on you? Apples and oranges.
http://wowpedia.org/Dampening

absolute max of an arena game is 20 minutes. With dampening, it shouldn't last past 10 or 15

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Tuatha » March 4th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Adezero wrote:http://wowpedia.org/Dampening

absolute max of an arena game is 20 minutes. With dampening, it shouldn't last past 10 or 15
I haven't arena'd in quite a while, thanks for the update.

Again, I'm in favor of a sudden death mechanic leading to a draw. I just think 50 rounds is premature, since some viable teams can beat against each other for that long without it being stalled--although I think most of us hope to keep the frequency of that happening to a minimum.

Mwebly
Pet Score:10448
BattleTag®:Webly#1586
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Mwebly » March 4th, 2014, 5:13 pm

After reading through all the comments I would grudgingly accept a mechanic that would prevent pure stall teams from forcing their opponents to flee and collecting cheap wins through annoyance rather than strategic play. I worry about it ending in a tie, sounds like an invitation to troll if they can guarantee a no win situation.

I still worry that any cap, be it time or round, will have the unintended consequence of reducing the pool of pets that are legitimately playable. We all complain about fotm compositions and the truth is that few pets are viable in pvp. Any change that limits the selection of pets because they are too defense or healing oriented and not strong enough offensively will be bad for the meta in the long run. Shorter games that get boring quickly may not be better than longer games with more variation.

Whatever is done on this front, remember that breeding in the next expac is likely to make any current problems larger. Imagine nasty healer compositions with breeds of h/h with Sunlight or p/p on an already strong base heal. The stalling trolls are going to have a field day.

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Badpathing » March 5th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Mwebly wrote:After reading through all the comments I would grudgingly accept a mechanic that would prevent pure stall teams from forcing their opponents to flee and collecting cheap wins through annoyance rather than strategic play. I worry about it ending in a tie, sounds like an invitation to troll if they can guarantee a no win situation.

I still worry that any cap, be it time or round, will have the unintended consequence of reducing the pool of pets that are legitimately playable. We all complain about fotm compositions and the truth is that few pets are viable in pvp. Any change that limits the selection of pets because they are too defense or healing oriented and not strong enough offensively will be bad for the meta in the long run. Shorter games that get boring quickly may not be better than longer games with more variation.

Whatever is done on this front, remember that breeding in the next expac is likely to make any current problems larger. Imagine nasty healer compositions with breeds of h/h with Sunlight or p/p on an already strong base heal. The stalling trolls are going to have a field day.
Not to derail, but I thought they said breeding is out..

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » March 5th, 2014, 5:29 pm

Badpathing wrote: Not to derail, but I thought they said breeding is out..
I haven't seen that anywhere. You'll no longer have a chance to get epic quality pets from breeding but that is the only "big" change I've heard.