xp cap per battle?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Bindibear
Top Rater
xp cap per battle?

Post by Bindibear » October 28th, 2012, 2:29 pm

This may be a stupid question, but is there a max xp that can be gained per pet per battle?

I'm asking because I have a rare Strand Crawler. He's not as dpsy as my other pets, but he can slowy pinch his way through teams much higher level than he is. Leaving out how time consuming it is, is there a point at which you simply aren't gaining as much xp for killing a pack with one pet as you would be for spreading it out?

Renmiri
Pet Score:2726
Realm:Draenor-eu

Re: xp cap per battle?

Post by Renmiri » October 28th, 2012, 5:44 pm

Got more than 600 xp on a daily yesterday, think I've seen more. Level 25 pets don't "sink" xp, use 2 level 25 and your crab and happy levelling

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » October 29th, 2012, 11:15 am

I lvl with the dailies as well. I get over 1000xp using a 22-23 and then 2 25's. Not sure if this is for dailies only. Don't get as much xp in regular "wild" battles it seems.

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » October 29th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Okay, so the XP varies weirdly. My Netherwhelp started at level 2 and the XP went up until it started going down again.
The dailies can give a lot more if you let the high levels die at the end. I'm pretty sure I saw 2800 from the Deepholm master. 1880 was keeping one high level alive.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » October 30th, 2012, 2:19 pm

Pet battle XP can seem a little weird

However, I can say for sure that the amount of XP you get is determined by your pet's level vs the opponent's level and how many pets you used in a battle, in that order.

This means that the amount of XP you get is fixed when you consider your level vs the opponent's level. From that fixed amount, it's divided evenly depending on how many pets you used to fight. If you only use 1, then that 1 gets all the XP. If you use 2, each get half. If you use 3, each gets a third.

The part where it seems weird is that if you have 2 different pets fight and they're very different level, then they each get half the amount of that level vs the opponent's level.

So, for example (made up numbers, but it's easy enough to verify it in game), if you have a level 23 and a level 5 that both participate, then they each get half the XP, but the level 23 gets half of the 256 she would have gotten if she had finished the fight solo, and the level 5 gets half of the 750XP (plus difficulty bonus!) she would have gotten if she had fought solo. So you'll see one pet get 128, and the other pet get 454.

Also, I have noticed when power leveling pets that there does seem to be a cap. For instance, if you take a level 3 and participate in a fight vs level 24's, then go and fight again at level 5 (because you'll get 2 levels from the first fight), the amount you get at level 5 is actually higher than the amount you got as a level 3. It seems to reach a peak, and then start to drop off normally.

Petjunky

Post by Petjunky » October 31st, 2012, 1:23 pm

When doing normal pet battles the highest xp I've had is ~800-850. On battle pet trainers ~2500-2600 xp. Note- I always level pets on the dailies in outland, northrend, cata, and pandaria. I always let my high level pets die with the leveling pet the only one alive at the end of the battle.

Mawder
Pet Score:2555
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Mawder » November 3rd, 2012, 2:00 am

YPL = Your Pet Level
OLP = Opponent Pet Level
NPPA = Number of Participating Pets Alive
TM = Trainer Multiplier (ie: 2.5, 3, etc)

XP = (fn(YPL, OPL) / NPPA ) * TM

The question is what is fn?

Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu

Post by Hellomynameis » November 9th, 2012, 3:17 am

the higest amount I have gotten in wild pet battles is 900xp. The way I do it is hit once with the pet I am leveling, then swap pets and fight all 3 pets with a lvl25, then let my lvl25 die, and finish the fight with 1 hit from the low level pet. This effectivly gives all the xp to the one pet, e.g. a lvl5 pet can get all the xp from beating 3x lvl22 pets.

Jestah
Top Rater
Pet Score:2501
Realm:Crushridge-us

Post by Jestah » November 13th, 2012, 3:13 pm

the higest amount I have gotten in wild pet battles is 900xp. The way I do it is hit once with the pet I am leveling, then swap pets and fight all 3 pets with a lvl25, then let my lvl25 die, and finish the fight with 1 hit from the low level pet. This effectivly gives all the xp to the one pet, e.g. a lvl5 pet can get all the xp from beating 3x lvl22 pets.
You know, that just gave me an idea! a lvl 25 Terrible Turnip would work wonders for this! Drop last enemy pet to 1 health, let the Turnip die and let the low level pet get the kill with certainty!

Misstic
MVP
Pet Score:6356
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Misstic » November 13th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Petjunky wrote:When doing normal pet battles the highest xp I've had is ~800-850. On battle pet trainers ~2500-2600 xp. Note- I always level pets on the dailies in outland, northrend, cata, and pandaria. I always let my high level pets die with the leveling pet the only one alive at the end of the battle.
What team of pets do you use to defeat Major Payne in Northrend and Obalis in Cataclysm? These 2 trainers along with Aki Cheen in Vale have been unbeatable for me with 2 pets and a 3rd low level leveling pet. Thank you.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » November 13th, 2012, 5:21 pm

Magical Crawdad can beat Aki by itself: concede until you get Stormlash first, shield turn 1 and wish turn 2, then keep up shield and heal when needed. Chirrup does 0 damage to you as long as shield is up, so you can use this part of the fight to heal to full, then wait until wish is off cooldown to kill him -- the first thing the otter will do is dive, which hits for a lot if you still have Chirrup's debuff on you, so having wish available is important. After you've stabilized against the otter, you can swap in your lowbie for a single hit, then swap back.

For Obalis, I use Emerald Whelpling (Emerald Bite, Emerald Presence, Emerald Dream) and Darkmoon Zeppelin. The easiest way is to start with Zeppelin, and concede until you get the snake first. Zep kills snake with half health remaining, swap to Whelpling to kill the moth (keep shield up and heal early rather than late), then Whelpling can kill the scarab or you can swap to Zep to win with Explode (after letting the lowbie take a hit against the scarab).

Major Payne is tough with two pets, and I usually don't bother with him. Typically I use Darkmoon Zeppelin and Phoenix Hatchling, but this can still lose because the phoenix isn't very good against the lasher. A snail or whelk is decent against both the mechapeep and lasher, but the mechapeep can sometimes KO the snail before it can set up shield and absorb. I don't have a great answer for this one: with my best setup it can still take a couple attempts to beat him.