The Murkapult

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu
Re: The Murkapult

Post by Luciandk » October 21st, 2013, 11:18 am

With the current info about Murkalot, it does rule out [pet]Azure Whelplining[/pet] or [pet]Lil Tarecgosa[/pet] as the catapulted pet. Due to the change to Falling Murloc, making no need for [ability]Arcane Storm[/ability].

I am speculating that [pet]Ashleaf Spriteling[/pet] would make a good partner for Murkalot.

Start with a pet bringing [ability]Sunlight[/ability]. Swap to Murkalot whom uses Shieldstorm and Righteous Inspiration to catapult in the Ashleaf Spriteling for an omg boosted [ability]Solar Beam[/ability].

Once doubled by Murkalot it scores a hit of 2118 damage! And if the opponent changes the weather, it sinks to 1412 damage done.

Alternatively Chrominius as he have an absurdly high base power for a H/H pet and can provide a respectiable 740 damage [ability]Surge of Power[/ability], while having [ability]Ancient blessing[/ability] to improve his longevity. Or choosing to go with [ability]Howl[/ability] incase Murkalot gets knocked out and you think his healthpool is big enough.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » November 7th, 2013, 1:54 am

So he's finally here. And Righteous Inspiration is even more hilariously broken than anticipated.

It works like this: you cast RI, you gain a huge speed boost, just like Surge/Deflection. Then your team gains the RI buff, Murkalot swaps out, and your highest-current-health backrow pet swaps in. The key here is that the RI buff affects your whole team, not just the new frontline pet. So any of your damaging effects benefit from RI on the turn that you cast it (DoTs, delayed damage such as Geyser/Whirlpool, Pheromones, etc.). And, RI lasts for the rest of the current round, plus one additional round. So DoTs get the benefit for 2 turns, not just 1. For example if you cast Pheromones on turn 1, swap to Murkalot on turn 2, RI on turn 3: then Pheromones will deal double damage on both turns 3 and 4, regardless of whether Kovok is front or backrow. If you Haunt on turn 1, freeswap to Murkalot, then RI on turn 2: then Haunt will deal double damage on both turns 2 and 3.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » November 7th, 2013, 3:06 am

Derp.....I foresee a massive surge in buying virtual tickets now, since the pet is out 1 day before blizzcon. Blizzard is going to have a truly nasty pr disaster on hand if they nerf him later.

Edit: Hrm, interesting, Murkalot is a good breed even, Power / Power. Pleasing.

Edit2: Hum. Since [ability]Righteous Inspiration[/ability] will swap in the backrow pet with the highest health, its something to remember when setting up a team. Hrm, I could see Unborn Valkyr work well as a starting pet, to get a free swap to Murkalot, whom then brings in your final pet. Reducing aoe damage taken on your own end and giving you exact control on what backrow pet to swap in.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » November 7th, 2013, 6:15 am

Hrm, not sure if you read the combat log right, Poofah.
So far it looks like this:

Pet Battle Round 4:
Righteous Inspiration applied
Pet Battle Round 5:
Pheromones applied to enemy team.
Pheromones deals 307 and 307 damage to first and second enemy backrow pets
Righteous Inspiration fades
Pet Battle Round 6:
Pheromones deals 161 and 154 damage to first and second enemy backrow pets
Pet Battle Round 7:
Pheromones deals 156 and 150 damage to first and second enemy backrow pets
Pet Battle Round 8:
Pheromones deals 158 and 151 damage to first and second enemy backrow pets
Pheromones fades

Hrm, not sure why its ticking four times. Thought at first it was Righteous Inspiration causing it. But trying without a Murkalot, Pheromones still ticks four times.

With repeated testing Ive only ever been able to get the double damage buff on the very first tick of Pheromones.
Last edited by Luciandk on November 7th, 2013, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nirnaeth101
Pet Score:3966
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Nirnaeth101 » November 7th, 2013, 6:57 am

Gotta get a Kovok or Blackfuse to really make this shine but am going to play around with:

Fiendish Imp and Blue Clockwork Bot for the double Nether Gate + Minefield (wonder if Sticky Grenade would also get boosted to make it even worse if you timed it right?)

Lil Deathwing (Crimson Geode) and a Fossilized Hatching for super charged Elementium Bolt + BoneStorm maybe?

Wiggles and Demolish teams? Sunlight and Solar Beam teams? What happens to Black Claw or other damage adds?

Can't wait to get home!!

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » November 7th, 2013, 7:08 am

Ah, now im thinking im seeing what Poofah is getting at. The effects have to be active before righteous inspiration to really get up in omg levels.

Edit:
Yep, tested it out by starting with Kovok and using Pheromones, then Murkalot using RI, and swaping to Fossilized Hatchling using an empowered bonestorm. A real wrecker for sure!

Edit 2:
Oh wow...

Kovok (HP)
Murkalot
Blackfuse Bombling (PP)

Pheromones, Righteous Inspiration, Armageddon is catastrophic levels of damage to the opposing team.

And Kovok using Poison Fang and Puncture Wound is more than capable mopping the floor with the front pet.
Last edited by Luciandk on November 7th, 2013, 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » November 7th, 2013, 7:31 am

Inspiration is very flawed. How on earth did they think pairing 100% dmg bonus with 100% speed bonus, that is what truly makes this broken. Guess I have to go back to feign death or deflection. You have to be really lucky to time a dodge/blind. Guess really fast birds can be useful, unless murkalot knocks them down below 50% first. :P

And if inspiration also effects pheromones/cyclone/turret?... wow... just wow. Guess I'm going to have to go for some really boring setups if this guy stays the way he is.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » November 7th, 2013, 7:38 am

Pet pvp is NOT going to be fun now. Murkalot -IS- a gamechanger for those whom understands how to use him!
Edit: Already seeing tons of Murkalots in pet battle finder.

And I said, its going to be a very bad PR disaster for Blizzard if they nerf him after people shell out the big bucks for the pet.

Edit 2: Starting to think this pretty much have killed pvp pet battling for me. Glad I grinded the Trainer title a couple weeks ago.
Last edited by Luciandk on November 7th, 2013, 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Varul
Pet Score:2924
Realm:Twisting Nether-eu

Post by Varul » November 7th, 2013, 8:14 am

I've been playing today with a Kovok(H/P), Murkalot(-) and a Pygmy Direhorn(-) team.

I start with Kovok using Poison Fang to damage the front row pet and get him ready for a Puncture Wound combination.
Pheromones afterwards, switch to Murkalot. Murkalot casts Righteous Inspiration asap, which switches to either Kovok or Direhorn.
If Kovok, simply use Puncture Wound if it's the same front row pet. If the opponent switched out his pet, use a buffed Poison Fang and follow up with Puncture Wound.
If the Direhorn is switched, use Primal Cry to do more aoe damage and get the opponent pets ready for some Direhorn action.

Because I do not have the Stunted Direhorn yet, I'm really interested to see what this team could do with him in it.
I will probably find out soon though, since even with the Pygmy Direhorn I've been raking up wins like crazy.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » November 7th, 2013, 8:24 am

Seems [ability]Shieldstorm[/ability] does not absorb Pheromones. So if you are winding up a big aoe hit, it might get blocked.

Katzbalger
Pet Score:3554
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Katzbalger » November 7th, 2013, 8:28 am

Nevermind what team is most effective, what I need is to find a 3rd pet that goes with him and DM Rabbit for a monty python team! :P

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » November 7th, 2013, 8:42 am

Katzbalger wrote:Nevermind what team is most effective, what I need is to find a 3rd pet that goes with him and DM Rabbit for a monty python team! :P
You want a Bombling! The Holy Handgrenade of Antioch!

Seems Murkalot is also a good counter to himself. If you can see an enemy team is winding up a Murkalot + aoe hurty combo, you can amputate it with a Shieldstorm.

Highmitsu
Pet Score:3456

Post by Highmitsu » November 7th, 2013, 9:33 am

I've got 128 wins left to go and I seriously hope I end it today before the murkalots come into play en masse. I'm using one myself and while it's insanely op, it feels very cheesy. It only has a few counters to it and even thing it's hard.

Edit - I'm testing around with kovok and a H/H blackfuse bombling and when I had black claw + poison dot up vs a mechanical, it was ticking for *644* damage without even having the beast racial bonus up during RI. Sick.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » November 7th, 2013, 9:44 am

Also noticed that Murkalots shield move is pretty good. It said it blocked one attack, but it seemed team wide. I used a cyclone and it blocked all three hits on the team. Usually those types of moves does not work that way I think.

Highmitsu

Post by Highmitsu » November 7th, 2013, 9:54 am

Fact that inspiration effects ongoing damage is retarded.

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » November 7th, 2013, 10:29 am

Kovok (HP)
Murkalot
Blackfuse Bombling (PP)

This is not a good team to utilize the murkalot.

The AOE skill from Kovok will ignore any speed buff and you will only get 1 round of AOE buff from the 100 dmg, which is close to a total waste.

And using a bombling pet doesn't help also, as someone already pointed out, the switch skill of the murkalot will only pull out your pet with most HP, this alone will defeat the purpose you want to AOE bomb your opponent with buff when you are very close to death.

3wd

Post by 3wd » November 7th, 2013, 10:30 am

Vek wrote:Also noticed that Murkalots shield move is pretty good. It said it blocked one attack, but it seemed team wide. I used a cyclone and it blocked all three hits on the team. Usually those types of moves does not work that way I think.
This skill can be easily broken by a simple aoe skill such as arcane explosion and many others.

3wd

Post by 3wd » November 7th, 2013, 10:34 am

Again,

this is a good pet and with an unique skill set, but it's no where near overpowered.

It also makes me laugh when people are using it to team up with a Kovok.

Highmitsu

Post by Highmitsu » November 7th, 2013, 10:35 am

3wd wrote:Kovok (HP)
Murkalot
Blackfuse Bombling (PP)

The AOE skill from Kovok will ignore any speed buff and you will only get 1 round of AOE buff from the 100 dmg, which is close to a total waste.

And using a bombling pet doesn't help also, as someone already pointed out, the switch skill of the murkalot will only pull out your pet with most HP, this alone will defeat the purpose you want to AOE bomb your opponent with buff when you are very close to death.
This is why you use a H/H bombling and start with kovok.

Poison fang -> Black Claw -> Pheromones -> Switch to Murkalot->Righteous Inspiration -> Switches to Bombling -> Armageddon. If anything is left up it can easily be cleaned up by what you have left on Kov/Murkalot.
This way, 2 ticks on the pheromones are affected by RI which result in an insane damage spread.

3wd

Post by 3wd » November 7th, 2013, 11:37 am

Highmitsu wrote:
3wd wrote:Kovok (HP)
Murkalot
Blackfuse Bombling (PP)

This is why you use a H/H bombling and start with kovok.

Poison fang -> Black Claw -> Pheromones -> Switch to Murkalot->Righteous Inspiration -> Switches to Bombling -> Armageddon. If anything is left up it can easily be cleaned up by what you have left on Kov/Murkalot.
This way, 2 ticks on the pheromones are affected by RI which result in an insane damage spread.
You are assuming your opponent is just a dummy npc, for the 6 rounds you mentioned above, your opponent's front pet will not have any skill such as dodge, evasion, stun, delay damage ect to break your rotation?

Putting all the eggs into a one hit Armageddon especially when your pet is in almost full health is not a very good move.