<<Replaced by 8 part 5.4 Guide>>

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us
Re: October 5th Updates delayed.

Post by Rendigar » October 5th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Rendigar wrote:I cannot post the updated changes as the website times out / throws me to a page not found error when I try to post it. It might just be there is too much going on, or it might be that there are too many codes in the document (in which case I will need to break it into 2 pieces). Going to give it a rest for a couple of hours so I can stop banging head on keyboard and then will try again. Sorry for the delay.
Update: Several hours have passed, and I still cannot post/preview the current version of the guide, never mind my updated one. So that leaves me with breaking it into 2 pieces, unless an admin can verify that it's something server-side that's having a problem today.

Rendigar
MVP

Re: 5.4 Guide to Master Tamer (levelling) + Beasts of Fable

Post by Rendigar » October 5th, 2013, 8:29 pm

OK, update worked and is now active. Enjoy and let me know if anything is missing / needs correction. It took a bit of editting to get all the changes in - hopefully I didn't break anything.

Sïan
MVP
Pet Score:4460
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Sïan » October 6th, 2013, 7:54 am

First off, thankyou very much to Rendigar for updating and expanding even further on Phraide's great work on this guide... 'tis much appreciated!

For the fight against Jeremy tonight, I started it before realising my Dragonling couldn't use Decoy and Explode... didn't help that the Journal still showed Decoy as the chosen attack in the second slot <facepalm>. But then I thought, got lots of bandages so I may as well go with it and see what happens. Bombing Run happened to be in the second slot and Explode of course still in the last. And although I've only been able to test it twice so far (with the early and reset battles you get on the first night of the Faire), this strategy has worked both times.

I swapped in the carry pet to get stunned by Fez (is that his name? It should be if it isn't ;) ) and then pushed the Dragonling back in, dropped the Bombing Run first and then used Breath until the last round of the Bombing Run, Explode and let the Bombing Run finish him off before my wee carry pet had to face him again. I did think about other pets, but the Zep isn't as fast as the Monkey, so I'm not sure it would work as well (although it's really just that initial stun you're looking to avoid anyway, so maybe it doesn't need to be).

Regarding the Payne fight, in desperation (because I didn't want to maybe spend forever looking for an S/S bunny from Arathi when I'd already caught a different blue breed from there) I turned to my (candied up) Spring Rabbit, and he's always done fine.

Hope these add to your options. Thanks again Rendigar, Phraide, Quintessence and everyone else. PokéWoW ftw!

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » October 6th, 2013, 9:12 am

This team strat does NOT work consistently, so I would not recommend it unless you don't mind aborting to heal and start over. After 3 consecutive losses I cannot accept it as a viable team - not for a guide that is meant to win 85-90% or more of the time (100% is ideal, of course).

In my (less than infinite) wisdom I went and won my fight accidently with Jeremy after trying a few combinations that worked poorly. I did not bother with the Infinite Whelpling + Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, but it sounds like it may still be viable with the swap to take the stun. The good news is that is a strat I can (hopefully) avoid winning with until I'm ready to.

Just in case others want to give what I did a try, though:
  • 1: Carry pet
    2: [pet]Scourged Whelpling[/pet] [6-H/H] (1,2,1)
    3: [pet]Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot[/pet] [5-S/S] (2,2,1)
vs Judgement
  • - Use 1 ability > switch to Scourged Whelpling > Tail Sweep until Judgement dies
vs Honky-Tonk
  • - Tail Sweep until Scourged Whelpling dies > switch to Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot
    - Bombing Run *if* Honky-Tonk has > 500 health > Minefield > Batter until Honky-Tonk dies
vs Fezwick
  • - Bombing Run > Batter until Fezwick dies

This is not what I would call a reliable strategy, it needs to be tested more than once - too many possibilities of things that can go wrong. The high health Scourged Whelpling will get at least 2 more tail sweeps in than the Infinite Whelpling, which can sometimes be 2-shot by Honky-Tonk (Shock & Awe stun + Missile hit). the infinite Whelpling is great when that doesn't happen, I'm just hoping to find something better/more reliable even when stunned.
Last edited by Rendigar on October 7th, 2013, 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » October 6th, 2013, 9:31 am

Nytemarerulez wrote:Heads up the blue bot has 3 breeds, might want to mention the one - base off instruction it seems SS one - I think I have one at max will test it - also working on a few team ideas
Yeah, and you need to use the 5-S/S one, thanks for that - I was just throwing it out there, like I said it's untested, but it wont work if you use one slower than Fezwick and Co. I'll fix the info.

Cookiethis
Pet Score:8056
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Cookiethis » October 6th, 2013, 10:06 am

I couldn't find the answer to this. On the first page in the guide you list Burst Team 2 and Burst Team 1? What are these teams?

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » October 6th, 2013, 10:20 am

Cookiethis wrote:I couldn't find the answer to this. On the first page in the guide you list Burst Team 2 and Burst Team 1? What are these teams?
You have to read down to the section at the end where I talk about the 4 teams used for the various Beasts of Fable. Because you can use them for many of the beasts I did not want to make the guide a ton longer by listing them multiple times.

Burst team 1 uses an Unborn Val'kyr, Pandaren Water Spirit, and Chrominius.
Burst team 2 uses a Pandaren Water Spirit, Chrominius, and a Darkmoon Tonk/Tranquil Mechanical Yeti/Menagerie Custodian

Cookiethis
Pet Score:8056
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Cookiethis » October 6th, 2013, 10:47 am

Thank you!

Undeadreaper
Pet Score:2672
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Undeadreaper » October 6th, 2013, 2:40 pm

Rendigar wrote:In my (less than infinite) wisdom I went and won my fight accidently with Jeremy after trying a few combinations that worked poorly. I did not bother with the Infinite Whelpling + Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, but it sounds like it may still be viable with the swap to take the stun. The good news is that is a strat I can (hopefully) avoid winning with until I'm ready to.

Just in case others want to give what I did a try, though:
  • 1: Carry pet
    2: [pet]Scourged Whelpling[/pet] [6-H/H] (1,2,1)
    3: [pet]Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot[/pet] [5-S/S] (2,2,1)
vs Judgement
  • - Use 1 ability > switch to Scourged Whelpling > Tail Sweep until Judgement dies
vs Honky-Tonk
  • - Tail Sweep until Scourged Whelpling dies > switch to Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot
    - Bombing Run *if* Honky-Tonk has > 500 health > Minefield > Batter until Honky-Tonk dies
vs Fezwick
  • - Bombing Run > Batter until Fezwick dies
This is not what I would call a reliable strategy, it needs to be tested more than once - too many possibilities of things that can go wrong. The high health Scourged Whelpling will get at least 2 more tail sweeps in than the Infinite Whelpling, which can sometimes be 2-shot by Honky-Tonk (Shock & Awe stun + Missile hit). the infinite Whelpling is great when that doesn't happen, I'm just hoping to find something better/more reliable even when stunned.
You said Bombing Run twice? Do you mean Sticky Grenade? And if that is the case, I nearly lost with this strat on my very first attempt. My first Tail Sweep missed on Judgement. Luckily Fezwick missed once at the end, and my carry pet was level 21 so it was barely able to finish him.

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » October 6th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Undeadreaper wrote:You said Bombing Run twice? Do you mean Sticky Grenade? And if that is the case, I nearly lost with this strat on my very first attempt. My first Tail Sweep missed on Judgement. Luckily Fezwick missed once at the end, and my carry pet was level 21 so it was barely able to finish him.
Yep, I meant Sticky Grenade - brain failed completely. And I only needed to Sticky Grenade vs Honky-Tonk once, but because I didn't test cleanly I can't say how well it works. Definitely hoping for something better.

Geegeez
Pet Score:7503
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Geegeez » October 7th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Hi,

First of all thank you for the strategies in this post. I'm working my way up trying to collect all the pets necessary to execute the strategies listed here and am making a shopping list. You have listed the Proto-Drake Whelp and Sunreaver Micro Sentry but I don't seem to see those two pets listed for any of the strategies vs. the trainers or BoFs. Did I miss something?

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » October 7th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Geegeez wrote:You have listed the Proto-Drake Whelp and Sunreaver Micro Sentry but I don't seem to see those two pets listed for any of the strategies vs. the trainers or BoFs. Did I miss something?
Nope, you didn't, they were in strategies that were replaced and I forgot to pull them from the shopping list. Thanks for catching it - and though I hope it doesn't happen again you reinforce my statement to read through the strats before you make your shopping list as there may be pets you decide you don't need. I'll pull them out once the server lets me save the changes... *sigh*

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » October 7th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Nytemarerulez wrote:DMF - This teams is a winner
Darkmoon Faire - Jeremy Feasel
16 rounds
1: [pet]Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling[/pet] [-] (1,2,2)
2: [pet]Pet Bombling[/pet] [-] (1,1,2)
3: Carry pet
Sorry to say, it's not a winner, it's not even close. In 6 attempts I "won" once (I passed on the minefield turn so as to not have the crit-victory you had). In 6 attempts it was 18L + 18L + 16W + 17L + 18L + 18L at which point I threw in the towel. Unless you get lucky and your dragonling survives to absorb the stun you will not win as Fezwick is faster than the bombling, so he will stun you and then kill you while you are stunned, and then kill you again after you rez (unless his banana's hit less than average or he misses with his 85% hit chance attack). Any strat that has to rely on crits or multiple misses by the enemy (or Judgement never using his slow attack on your dragonling, which means the tonk shoots first) is not going to be viable. Swapping in your carry pet to soak the stun wouldn't even work, as live-swapping affects your pet the same as being stunned - the enemy gets a free attack on you. And 2 attacks is usually all Fezwick needs to perma-death your Pet Bomblling.

And I followed your moves to the letter - the only time I got to use decoy twice was the time I won, which means they missed an abnormal number of times (and/or the tonk used Lock-On before the decoy and then the decoy ate the second application plus the Shock & Awe that followed it). Back to my drawing board. Beating him is still easy, but doing it with a non-significant level carry pet is being problematic.

And for the record I axed my team above for the same reasons, it only won because I got lucky crits/enemy misses.

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Anasa » October 7th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Out of curiosity, why do you list the lower level tamers (optional) near the end of the route? I usually do them first, because the pet is less likely to die, and gets more xp if they're closer in level to the tamer's pets.

I basically reverse your route, and start with Accoste each day. I don't do all the ones you list as "optional," but I do several of them.

Yeah, if you're throwing a level 23 pet at Obalis he won't get much xp. But if you hit Obalis when the carry pet is 13-15, they get a lot more.