Doing Pet battles on your tablet

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Slambert
Pet Score:2983
Realm:Madoran-us
Doing Pet battles on your tablet

Post by Slambert » September 19th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Hey everyone,

I have had some success playing pet battles and doing pet dailies on my android tablet, just wanted it to share it with the rest of you in case your interested. :) It's a little tricky to play normal WoW this way, but since pet battles are turn based, it's cake! As a warning, this is not for everyone since playing on a touch screen with occasionally bad lag (depending on your connection speed) can be pretty frustrating and not worth it, but I am a big fan. :)

1. Name of the app is Splashtop THD (normally 20 bucks, I bought it for 10 on sale). It's an app designed to only work with a Tegra 3 processor, however I do not have a tegra 3, I have the galaxy note 10.1 and I only had to put a checkbox into "compatability mode" to make it work with my tablet (otherwise it just gave me a black screen while I was remoted). I can't promise that other non tegra 3's will work, but I read a few places online that they do.
A) Splashtop THD lets you remote desktop into your home computer, and play/view anything you want. The THD version has a built in on screen joystick/buttons with a WoW profile already built in (watch the ad videos to get an understanding of it). So your home PC is running it, your just streaming your home PC screen to your tablet via the interwebs.
B) when on the same router as your computer, it's surprisingly smooth with the right optimization. Run the app at 1280x720 or lower (seems to be noticeably less laggy)
C) I highly recommend the "always adjust camera" setting in WoW, because the first time you hit lag and try to adjust your camera angle, you will be very frustrated. :)
D) so left thumb moves the virtual joystick, and right thumb anywhere on the screen is as if your holding down the right mouse button to turn, takes a bit of getting used to.

2. Why THD and not the other splashtop remote apps? THD has the built in controller and seems to be optimized better for games. It is also appears to currently have no subscription fee (the main splashtop app has a $1.99 a month fee and runs noticeably slower and uglier for me)

3. Read some online resources to optimize your remote connection (including opening the splashtop ports on your firewall, this is super important for a major, major difference in lag).

4. Then log in/que for a pet battle or navigate to your dailies and crush from your couch/work/school/beach hammock :) works best when your home machine is hardwired to your router (wireless connections usually limit/lower your speed).

That's pretty much it, I recommend sticking to wi-fi if you can, 3g/4g might be brutal! Let me know if any of you end up trying and liking/hating it! :)

Brisela

Re: Doing Pet battles on your tablet

Post by Brisela » September 19th, 2013, 10:46 pm

Does it work with note 2?

Slambert

Post by Slambert » September 19th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Brisela wrote:Does it work with note 2?
Not sure, I don't see why not? Note 2 has a quad core processor so it should be able to handle it. But just like my note 10.1, its not officially supported by the app so it would only have a chance of working in compatability mode (which is a setting in the app itself).

Brisela

Post by Brisela » September 19th, 2013, 11:39 pm

it works has a free verison now :D

Slambert

Post by Slambert » September 19th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Brisela wrote:it works has a free verison now :D
The free version is a little different, it doesn't have the joystick and cost 1.99 a month if you try to connect from somewhere other than the same router that your computer is on. Still works good but not as clear and smooth as the THD version.

Brisela

Post by Brisela » September 20th, 2013, 12:08 am

its 4.99 now regular price 9.99 :D

Alconlan
Pet Score:3243
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Alconlan » September 20th, 2013, 1:01 am

Wonder if this will work on iPad2, doubtful =( If anyone does try it, let me know!

Slambert

Post by Slambert » September 20th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Alconlan wrote:Wonder if this will work on iPad2, doubtful =( If anyone does try it, let me know!
Well the THD version of the app is meant for Tegra 3 only so I'm not sure if they would even put the app on Itunes (what I mean is if you don't at least have access to google play store, then I'm not sure the app would exist). But you'd have to check for me since I don't have itunes.