WASTEWALKER SHU

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Pikafido
MVP
Pet Score:13608
BattleTag®:Pikafido#2789
Realm:Aerie Peak-eu
WASTEWALKER SHU

Post by Pikafido » September 13th, 2013, 2:50 pm

That guy is history for me. What an awfull battle that is nowadays.

* changed the technichs allready twice this week by blizzard.

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Re: WASTEWALKER SHU

Post by Sellys » September 13th, 2013, 3:23 pm

What changed? My standard P/P Zandalari Dino, Chrominius, levelling pet has continued to work fine this week. You even get a free turn now that Sandstorm has a 5 round cd.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » September 13th, 2013, 4:14 pm

The main problem with the Zandalari Kneebiter / Anklerender [4-P/P] method is Sandstorm can still make your Chrominius miss. And if Howl OR Bite OR Surge of Power miss you will be dropping, healing, and trying again. Now this is not a problem for some people, but for others winning all the time, even if it takes a few more turns, is better.

Try this team Sellys:

Wastewalker Shu - Location: Dread Wastes (55, 37)
Team 1: 20 rounds
  • 1: [pet]Red Cricket[/pet] [-] (1,2,1)
    2: Carry pet
    3: [pet]Tranquil Mechanical Yeti[/pet] [-] (1,1,2)
vs Crusher
  • - Skitter until 1 round remains on Whirlpool > Cocoon Strike > Nature's Touch > repeat
vs Pounder
  • - Cocoon Strike when possible to block Whirlpool, Sandstorm, Rupture (order of preference)
    - Nature's Touch when needed (if health below 500), Skitter otherwise
    - Generally you will always Cocoon Strike > Nature's Touch > Skitter > Skitter > Skitter > repeat
vs Mutilator
  • - switch to Carry pet (will take no damage), swap to Tranquil Mechanical Yeti
    - Call Lightning > Metal Fist (if Lightning missed) > Ion Cannon
After fight heal at Handler Kla’vik, Klaxxi’vess, Dread Wastes (53, 32)

Dagris
Top Rater
Pet Score:9380
BattleTag®:Dugoth#1259
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Dagris » September 13th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Sellys wrote:What changed? My standard P/P Zandalari Dino, Chrominius, levelling pet has continued to work fine this week. You even get a free turn now that Sandstorm has a 5 round cd.
I find I had to change things a bit with that team, doing it the traditional way kept getting my Zanadalari pet killed too early. Instead I went from moving in the carry pet to letting my Zandalari pet sacrifice himself against the reflected damage on the last fight so that all pets but my carry were dead at the end. Seems to be working so far

Pyy
Top Rater
Pet Score:11087
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Pyy » September 13th, 2013, 5:22 pm

What's actually changed with him tho? I've had problems the past two days with my raptor dying a turn too early to Mutilator. I really wish they'd leave these guys alone. Why do they have to change fights that were never pushovers in the first place...

Edit: I see what's changed now, Mutilator's "Spiked Skin" ability now hits on each hit from Hunting Party, causing the raptor to get super low even if you finish off Crusher with near full HP.
Last edited by Pyy on September 14th, 2013, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » September 13th, 2013, 7:31 pm

I think the problem is that Pounder no longer recasts Sandstorm, so is instead hitting you more with Earthquake (which is hitting your backline pets). But if that 1 extra tick of damage makes that much difference I really don't know.

Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Yamum » September 13th, 2013, 7:47 pm

I use a Moth and Snarly. If Moth Dust misses on the first round you can flee and try again without having to heal. Blood in the Water doesn't appear to be able to miss under Sandstorm. Still, I'm working on a more reliable strat.

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » September 13th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Just a note, the Red Cricket / Tranquil Mechanical Yeti is a sure thing, all a miss does is make the fight take longer.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » September 15th, 2013, 9:46 am

Sellys wrote:What changed?
Sandstorm. Because of the 5 round thing, when he wants to recast Sandstorm (like he would have before) it's still got a round of CD, so he doesn't recast it then. He'll wait until it comes up in his rotation again. You wouldn't think this would be a problem, except sandstorm used to protect your backline pets. Instead of taking around 15, they're taking 90-94 each round he quakes. If your backline isn't high enough, quake will kill you because of the extra damage unless you're killing Pounder quickly.

Similarly, sandstorm would protect your dino from the damage shield, and reduce the damage that it took the first round you swapped it in. It no longer does that either.
My standard P/P Zandalari Dino, Chrominius, levelling pet has continued to work fine this week. You even get a free turn now that Sandstorm has a 5 round cd.
That worked by accident the first day for me.

The strat takes out the crab and pounder nicely, and then the dino will die to Mutilator. It's possible he'll live long enough to suicide on the shield while taking out Mutilator, but more likely than not you'll have mutilator with half(ish) health left, which means your leveler needs to finish it off, so you can't have a leveler at low level.
Rendigar wrote:Wastewalker Shu - Location: Dread Wastes (55, 37)
vs Crusher

How many rounds does it take the cricket to finish off Pounder? Meaning, how much damage are your backline pets taking?

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » September 15th, 2013, 10:48 am

Tiggindy wrote:
Rendigar wrote:Wastewalker Shu - Location: Dread Wastes (55, 37)
vs Crusher

How many rounds does it take the cricket to finish off Pounder? Meaning, how much damage are your backline pets taking?
I should start with the caveat that I *have* lost with this team, when the crab crit once and pounder crit twice in a row. But I don't think any strategy is ever immune to bad luck like that.

Cocoon > Nature's Touch > Skitter x3 (1 miss) > Cocoon > Nature's Touch > Skitter x3 = Pounder died.
So the back line took 3 reduced hits and 3 full hits from Quake, which in this case was 316-318 damage

Nirnaeth101
Pet Score:3966
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Nirnaeth101 » September 16th, 2013, 3:49 am

PP Infinite Whelping plus PP Emperor Crab has always worked pretty well for me (although RNG misses hurt a bit).

Tail Sweep, Heal when the Geyser goes off and try to time it so your Early Advantage is boosted by your racial so Pounder takes ~1100 damage first hit.

I have gone all the way through but normally will die to the second Geyser, Crab mops up Pounder and as long as you keep his health high can take Mutilator no problems (try not to Surge when you think Counter Strike will be used).

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » September 16th, 2013, 7:55 am

I definitely can see not using Cocoon Strike vs Pounder after the 1st one (to avoid the 2nd Whirlpool's damage) as saving a turn. The only issue there is if you miss with a Skitter AND you've taken an extra hit (due to the lack of the Cocoon protecting you from a Rupture), you might lose. I am definitely an over-cautious player, preferring to win vs having to heal and try again due to an avoidable loss because I was in a hurry to win 1 turn earlier. But YMMV, so it's a valid plan and works well 90% of the time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » September 16th, 2013, 9:25 am

2 manning Shu just fine with Jade Owl and Emperor Crab. No trouble at all.

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » September 16th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Tiggindy wrote:
Sellys wrote:What changed?
Sandstorm. Because of the 5 round thing, when he wants to recast Sandstorm (like he would have before) it's still got a round of CD, so he doesn't recast it then. He'll wait until it comes up in his rotation again. You wouldn't think this would be a problem, except sandstorm used to protect your backline pets. Instead of taking around 15, they're taking 90-94 each round he quakes. If your backline isn't high enough, quake will kill you because of the extra damage unless you're killing Pounder quickly.
Yeah, I don't think the sandstorm change alters anything with the Zandalari Dino/Chrominius group.

Crab dies, swap in Chrominius, get Sand Stormed. Round 2 you get ruptured, and Rounds 3,4,5 are quake. If you get stunned by rupture he dies round 5, if you don't get stunned he dies round 4. Either way he's not casting a second sandstorm or a second quake. Now, if your tactics ended up killing him on round 7-9 then I can see the issue, assuming round 6 is a blank round, and rounds 7-9 are quake. Although it seems he should recast sandstorm on 7.

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » September 16th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Rendigar wrote:The main problem with the Zandalari Kneebiter / Anklerender [4-P/P] method is Sandstorm can still make your Chrominius miss.
To be fair, it's only a 10% chance. No plan is fool proof, so just retreat, bandage and try again if that happens.

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » September 16th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Sanzul wrote:
Rendigar wrote:The main problem with the Zandalari Kneebiter / Anklerender [4-P/P] method is Sandstorm can still make your Chrominius miss.
To be fair, it's only a 10% chance. No plan is fool proof, so just retreat, bandage and try again if that happens.
Actually it's a 10% chance for each of the 3 moves, which comes out to a 27.1% chance. It's all a matter of playstyle and what you enjoy, I think. And personal luck, too (and mine's not all that good). So I'll stick to winning even if I miss (once or even twice).

Skarn
Top Rater
Pet Score:5024
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Skarn » September 16th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Sellys wrote: Yeah, I don't think the sandstorm change alters anything with the Zandalari Dino/Chrominius group.
I didn't have problems with Quake, since Sandstorm lasted long enough for Pounder to die anyway. But I found my raptor taking too much extra damage against Mutilator. Taking damage from the shield as well as extra damage from the Powerballs. It's been far too unreliable. The Red Cricket strategy worked very well though! An Infinite Whelpling and Emperor Crab is interesting too.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » September 16th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Sellys wrote:Yeah, I don't think the sandstorm change alters anything with the Zandalari Dino/Chrominius group.
Not to be snarky, but did you read the next part of the post which detailed what happens with the Dino?

The Kneebiter will die.

When you swap in the zandalari, it is down to around 940 health because of the crab. Round 1 (you don't get an action ebcause you swapped) it takes 275ish from mutilator, because there's no sandstorm to soften it, health now around 665. Next round, you get hit again for roughly the same amount, then you impale yourself 3 times on the spikes. Now you're down down to health in the 280-290 range. This means you're either about to be killed by Mutilator, or your going to kill yourself on the spikes when you attack. If you manage to suicide, then great, your leveler gets XP. If you die, your leveler needs to be able to finish off Mutilator.

Based on the tries I've done, it's about 50/50 whether you suicide or whether you just die and have to finish it with the leveler.

Since I prefer a strat where it doesn't matter what level my pet to get XP is, I'm going to give the red cricket thingy a try.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 16th, 2013, 8:04 pm

I haven't tried it yet but I doubt the changes will have affected the team I used

P/P Spawn of Ony or Ony welpling + random mech.

Tail sweep until you have to lift of to avoid the crabs whirl pool. If you've got a P/P spawn the lift off will kill him assuming it hits. The Welpling will be close and will sometimes survive by 20 or 30 hps.

Tail Sweep for racial, heal and then sweep. Heal more if needed or use liftoff to avoid the big attack. Should finish the second pet too. Let him die to the third. Swap in carry pet then swap to mech. I use a Custodian or tonk and blow him up but any mech should be able to easily finish him.

Katzbalger
Pet Score:3554
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Katzbalger » September 17th, 2013, 9:37 am

While it's maybe not the fastest, never really looked how many rounds, I've stuck with the same team from the start on this guy, Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling and Emperor Crab.
Wildhammer Gryphon-peck, peck, lift-off for whirlpool, crab dead if lift-off hits otherwise peck. Peck the ele til your bird dies, switch in carry, switch out for crab. Whirlpool, surge til dead, might need to heal if whirlpool misses. Surge 1st round on his hedgehog before shields are up, then whirlpool/heal/surge to victory.