Celestial Tournament 101 [Full tourney + 4 beasts tips]

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
CutieTaunie
MVP
Pet Score:12014
BattleTag®:Taunie#1587
Realm:The Venture Co-us
Re: Celestial Tournament 101-Week 3-sept.24 [US and EU tips]

Post by CutieTaunie » October 1st, 2013, 5:19 am

Biggest adrenaline rush ever!!!!!!

So I procrastinated last week and got my weekly done in the evening on the Monday before reset. I haven't been doing as much pet battling now that the arena season has started again and have been relying on strats posted by my fellow pet fanatics.

I figured I would squeak by again this week as I kept doing things in-game other than pet battles. First thing I did when I got home was try to finish off my remaining LFR instances to get closer to the Legendary cloak. Here I got punished for my procrastination again and ended up with some less than stellar raids. We made our way up to 3 determination buffs on multiple bosses in SoO but we did finish everything, I got some gear and now I'm only 2 titan runestones away... should be able to finish up next week. It's about 12:45 now, finally time for the Celestial Tournament!

I start off with Blingtron 4000 and one-shot him with a team someone posted (Eternal Strider, Direhorn Runt, Lil' Ragnaros). I move on to Kiryn and use the same team that person suggested (Unborn Val'kyr, Blossoming Ancient, and something else). I get no where near close to winning so I restart the tournament so I can try again with the same team, thinking the Blingtron 4000 win didn't seem too RNG. Once again it doesn't succeed so I try a new team (Giant Bone Spider, Pandaran Fire Spirit, Lil' Bling). WOW... that Giant Bone Spider got stomped. Reset the tournament, tried again. Getting frustrated now, mostly at my procrastination, and opt for a team that seems more solid (Gusting Grimoire, Tiny Shale Hatchling, Darkmoon Zeppelin). This worked like a charm!

Back to Blingtron 4000. I load up the original team that one-shotted it and... RNG hates me now. Lil' Ragnaros gets smoked with only 40 HP left on Lil' B. Alright, people posted other teams that worked so I head back to the forums... I don't have the exact pets but I try something similar (Aqua Strider, Core Hound Pup, Dark Phoenix). Once again I get smoked. That first team did seem strong so I suck it up and reload the tournament. One-shot team... manages to one-shot Blingtron 4000 with half-life left on Lil' Ragnaros.

Back to Kiryn and my team (Gusting Grimoire, Tiny Shale Hatchling, Darkmoon Zeppelin) wins again with flying colors (I think I'll stick with this team).

Finally I get to try out Wise Mari! I liked the Blingtron 4000 team so I copy that person's strat for Wise Mari (Gilnean Raven, Scourged Whelpling, Snarly). I'm mid-battle now... it's about 2:10 and dailies reset at 3:00... I've got plenty of time because the Celestial Children are old hat at this point.

[Server] Shutdown in 15:00.

Nooooooooooooo! My heart is in my throat, I don't want to wait another week to get Xu-Fu (I chose Zao first).

Thankfully this team is perfect for Wise Mari and I wipe up the rest of his pets.

I run to Chi-Chi... Beasts of Fable team it.

I run to Xu-Fu... heal up Chrominius and Pandaren Water Spirit with my Lil' Fawn.

I run to Zao... Beasts of Fable team it (I have two Unborn Val'kyr, but before I did I used a Ghostly Skull to achieve the same).

I run to Yu'la... I've done it before with the Gregarious Grell, but worry that she may not die fast enough. I go with the team I used last week (Qiraji Guardling, Feline Familiar, Pandaren Monk). She dies but there are some painful misses that eat up my precious minutes.

By the time I get to Xu-Fu to finally kill him, I've only got 5 minutes. I put Worg Pup, Darkmoon Tonk, and Menagerie Custodian into their battle slots and go. Everything is going fine until... Xu-Fu doesn't die after the second round of Shock and Awe > Ion Cannon. I want my Menagerie Custodian get smoked by Xu-Fu while he just sits there recovering. I panic!

3:00

Quick, quick... what do I have that could possibly kill him fast.

I put in a Dragon Kite, Clockwork Gnome, Tranquil Mechanical Yeti.

Call Lightning > Volcano (wtf?) and swap to Clockwork Gnome, throw up a turret but now it's Moonlight... no! I go to Mechanical Yeti and Call Lightning again... I queue up the Ion Cannon and my yeti dies! Xu-Fu hits so hard, but I forgot he was mechanical! He rezzes and finished Xu-Fu off.

1:00

I leave instance and turn in my weekly. The server goes down.

I've learned my lesson... but I wanted to share my story and thank this community. Without you, I wouldn't have gotten my coin this week and would have had to wait one more week to get my next Celestial Child.

Thanks to the following people who strats I followed:

Anasa, Darklynx, Mantrhax, Koori

Here are my final teams from this week... in case it helps someone else!

Blingtron 4000 - Eternal Strider, Direhorn Runt, Lil' Ragnaros
Shademaster Kiryn - Gusting Grimoire, Tiny Shale Spider, Darkmoon Zeppelin
Wise Mari - Gilnean Raven, Scourged Whelpling, Snarly

Xu-Fu - Worg Pup, Darkmoon Tonk, Menagerie Custodian (should have worked!)... won with Dragon Kite, Clockwork Gnome, Tranquil Mechanical Yeti
Zao - Unborn Val'kyr, Chrominus, Pandaren Water Spirit
Chi-Chi - Unborn Val'kyr (Ghostly Skull if you don't have two Val'kyr), Chrominius, Pandaren Water Spirit
Yu-la - Qiraji Guardling, Feline Familiar, Pandaren Monk

Remember that you can reuse pets that don't die by healing them up with a third pet like a Lil' Fawn against someone like Yu-la or Xu-Fu who don't do too much damage in the first round!

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text!

Gracies
Pet Score:5026
BattleTag®:Graciepriest#1638
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Re: Celestial Tournament 101

Post by Gracies » October 1st, 2013, 6:10 am

Silverz wrote:I had no luck whatsoever with chi-chi. His dodge spell and healing seemed impossible and was very frustrating. I tried magic pets, and then a bunch of other pets that normally are effective vs flying. Any suggestions?

Yes, for Chi Chi you want to use a Pandaren Water Spirit, Chrominius and Rapana Whelk. Start with Geyser, whirlpool, then swap to Chrominius. Cast howl and surge of power. Chi Chi should die at this point :). The Rapana Whelk is just there for good measure. Feel free to substitute any pet as a third. Good luck! You use this same team with Zao!

Also, Mr. Bigglesworth solo's Yu'la! Start with claw, ice tomb, ice barrier, pass a turn, claw, claw, claw. Repeat this two more times and watch Yu'la crash 'n burn :).

Gracies
Pet Score:5026
BattleTag®:Graciepriest#1638
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Re: Celestial Tournament 101

Post by Gracies » October 1st, 2013, 6:18 am

Delinda wrote:I'm having big problems with Taran Zhu and his monks. Has anyone managed to beat him?
Yes! I used two Unborn Val'kyrs and a Crawling Claw. Curse of Doom is what you want to start with on each monk. Basically that will take them down! Make sure you cast curse of doom, and then just kill time. It'll be game over with a win super fast! Good luck :).

Darklynx
Pet Score:9711
Realm:Tol Barad-us

Post by Darklynx » October 1st, 2013, 7:09 am

CutieTaunie wrote:Biggest adrenaline rush ever!!!!!!

So I procrastinated last week and got my weekly done in the evening on the Monday before reset. I haven't been doing as much pet battling now that the arena season has started again and have been relying on strats posted by my fellow pet fanatics.

I figured I would squeak by again this week as I kept doing things in-game other than pet battles. First thing I did when I got home was try to finish off my remaining LFR instances to get closer to the Legendary cloak. Here I got punished for my procrastination again and ended up with some less than stellar raids. We made our way up to 3 determination buffs on multiple bosses in SoO but we did finish everything, I got some gear and now I'm only 2 titan runestones away... should be able to finish up next week. It's about 12:45 now, finally time for the Celestial Tournament!

I start off with Blingtron 4000 and one-shot him with a team someone posted (Eternal Strider, Direhorn Runt, Lil' Ragnaros). I move on to Kiryn and use the same team that person suggested (Unborn Val'kyr, Blossoming Ancient, and something else). I get no where near close to winning so I restart the tournament so I can try again with the same team, thinking the Blingtron 4000 win didn't seem too RNG. Once again it doesn't succeed so I try a new team (Giant Bone Spider, Pandaran Fire Spirit, Lil' Bling). WOW... that Giant Bone Spider got stomped. Reset the tournament, tried again. Getting frustrated now, mostly at my procrastination, and opt for a team that seems more solid (Gusting Grimoire, Tiny Shale Hatchling, Darkmoon Zeppelin). This worked like a charm!

Back to Blingtron 4000. I load up the original team that one-shotted it and... RNG hates me now. Lil' Ragnaros gets smoked with only 40 HP left on Lil' B. Alright, people posted other teams that worked so I head back to the forums... I don't have the exact pets but I try something similar (Aqua Strider, Core Hound Pup, Dark Phoenix). Once again I get smoked. That first team did seem strong so I suck it up and reload the tournament. One-shot team... manages to one-shot Blingtron 4000 with half-life left on Lil' Ragnaros.

Back to Kiryn and my team (Gusting Grimoire, Tiny Shale Hatchling, Darkmoon Zeppelin) wins again with flying colors (I think I'll stick with this team).

Finally I get to try out Wise Mari! I liked the Blingtron 4000 team so I copy that person's strat for Wise Mari (Gilnean Raven, Scourged Whelpling, Snarly). I'm mid-battle now... it's about 2:10 and dailies reset at 3:00... I've got plenty of time because the Celestial Children are old hat at this point.

[Server] Shutdown in 15:00.

Nooooooooooooo! My heart is in my throat, I don't want to wait another week to get Xu-Fu (I chose Zao first).

Thankfully this team is perfect for Wise Mari and I wipe up the rest of his pets.

I run to Chi-Chi... Beasts of Fable team it.

I run to Xu-Fu... heal up Chrominius and Pandaren Water Spirit with my Lil' Fawn.

I run to Zao... Beasts of Fable team it (I have two Unborn Val'kyr, but before I did I used a Ghostly Skull to achieve the same).

I run to Yu'la... I've done it before with the Gregarious Grell, but worry that she may not die fast enough. I go with the team I used last week (Qiraji Guardling, Feline Familiar, Pandaren Monk). She dies but there are some painful misses that eat up my precious minutes.

By the time I get to Xu-Fu to finally kill him, I've only got 5 minutes. I put Worg Pup, Darkmoon Tonk, and Menagerie Custodian into their battle slots and go. Everything is going fine until... Xu-Fu doesn't die after the second round of Shock and Awe > Ion Cannon. I want my Menagerie Custodian get smoked by Xu-Fu while he just sits there recovering. I panic!

3:00

Quick, quick... what do I have that could possibly kill him fast.

I put in a Dragon Kite, Clockwork Gnome, Tranquil Mechanical Yeti.

Call Lightning > Volcano (wtf?) and swap to Clockwork Gnome, throw up a turret but now it's Moonlight... no! I go to Mechanical Yeti and Call Lightning again... I queue up the Ion Cannon and my yeti dies! Xu-Fu hits so hard, but I forgot he was mechanical! He rezzes and finished Xu-Fu off.

1:00

I leave instance and turn in my weekly. The server goes down.

I've learned my lesson... but I wanted to share my story and thank this community. Without you, I wouldn't have gotten my coin this week and would have had to wait one more week to get my next Celestial Child.

Here are my final teams from this week... in case it helps someone else!

Blingtron 4000 - Eternal Strider, Direhorn Runt, Lil' Ragnaros
Shademaster Kiryn - Gusting Grimoire, Tiny Shale Spider, Darkmoon Zeppelin
Wise Mari - Gilnean Raven, Scourged Whelpling, Snarly

Xu-Fu - Worg Pup, Darkmoon Tonk, Menagerie Custodian (should have worked!)... won with Dragon Kite, Clockwork Gnome, Tranquil Mechanical Yeti
Zao - Unborn Val'kyr, Chrominus, Pandaren Water Spirit
Chi-Chi - Unborn Val'kyr (Ghostly Skull if you don't have two Val'kyr), Chrominius, Pandaren Water Spirit
Yu-la - Qiraji Guardling, Feline Familiar, Pandaren Monk

Remember that you can reuse pets that don't die by healing them up with a third pet like a Lil' Fawn against someone like Yu-la or Xu-Fu who don't do too much damage in the first round!

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text!
Nice! It's always nice to get a nice rush in the morning...Or before sleeping. My Shademaster with Bone Spider is indeed weak, although I one shotted it after I used her, you're not the first to have trouble using it. I have no idea how my team worked like a charm (I killed Nairn and I still had the undead turn to the next pet). Next time imma try with Lofty Libram or infested Bear Cub. It's really annoying how you can't battle the trainers once the tournament is over, I'd be happy to review these strats :/

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » October 1st, 2013, 7:25 am

In the EU, it's the same set-up as last week: Cho, Goldbloom and Sully.

Edit: Didn't know quest reset on Tuesday but NPCs change on Wednesday. :shock: :oops:
Last edited by Rioriel on October 1st, 2013, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sydnay
Pet Score:3380
Realm:Blackhand-eu

Post by Sydnay » October 1st, 2013, 8:29 am

Rioriel wrote:In the EU, it's the same set-up as last week: Cho, Goldbloom and Sully.
That's because the setup changes wednesday (tomorrow) when the regular weekly ids reset.
I really don't understand why Blizzard is doing that (it's the same with the PVP Petbattle weekly), but gives us the opportunity to use the same setup 2 times in a row.

Rioriel
Top Rater

Post by Rioriel » October 1st, 2013, 12:45 pm

Sydnay wrote:
Rioriel wrote:In the EU, it's the same set-up as last week: Cho, Goldbloom and Sully.
That's because the setup changes wednesday (tomorrow) when the regular weekly ids reset.
I really don't understand why Blizzard is doing that (it's the same with the PVP Petbattle weekly), but gives us the opportunity to use the same setup 2 times in a row.
Ohhhhh. How weird! I'll keep my eye on who we get tomorrow and then work on levelling extras I might need for next Tuesday then... or not if I don't manage it. Heh.

Darklynx
Pet Score:9711
Realm:Tol Barad-us

Post by Darklynx » October 1st, 2013, 1:14 pm

Got the same trainers as week 1 (Lorewalker Cho, Sully and one I forget).

Used the same strats, worked like a charm :D Waiting on week 3 trainers to review my strats :[

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322

Post by Anasa » October 1st, 2013, 4:08 pm

CutieTaunie wrote:I move on to Kiryn and use the same team that person suggested (Unborn Val'kyr, Blossoming Ancient, and something else). I get no where near close to winning so I restart the tournament so I can try again with the same team

Congrats! (and you're welcome! :))

Out of curiosity, what happened on Kiryn that the Val'kyr/Ancient didn't work? Did you try to use Unholy Ascension instead of Haunt?

Rioriel
Top Rater

Post by Rioriel » October 2nd, 2013, 4:33 am

Week 4 in the EU: Taran-Zhu, Wrathion and Chen Stormstout.

Waveryn
Pet Score:13627
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » October 2nd, 2013, 8:31 am

Rendigar wrote:Blizzard really should do what they've done in the past and build the add-on PetBattle Teams into the game. It allows you to save your teams, lock them so you cannot accidently change them, and currently I am using it to track more than 50 different teams I use for different fights throughout Pandaria and the tourney (I have multiple teams for testing the 5.4 guide I posted recently, for example). You can get the add-on from Curse.com here: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/pet-battle-teams
I have this add-on but can only save 18 teams how are you tracking 50 different teams???
Wave

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » October 2nd, 2013, 7:03 pm

Waveryn wrote:I have this add-on but can only save 18 teams how are you tracking 50 different teams???
When was the last time you updated it? I have had 50+ teams for quite some time now, so you should verify you have the latest version from Curse. If need be I can go look in the LUA files and see if mine has a version number you can compare to, but go look on Curse first.

Waveryn
Pet Score:13627
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » October 3rd, 2013, 5:41 am

Rendigar wrote:
Waveryn wrote:I have this add-on but can only save 18 teams how are you tracking 50 different teams???
When was the last time you updated it? I have had 50+ teams for quite some time now, so you should verify you have the latest version from Curse. If need be I can go look in the LUA files and see if mine has a version number you can compare to, but go look on Curse first.
I will check, I pay curse and get updates almost daily and automatically so if I do not have the latest version I am going to be a bit POed at them :lol: Thanks Rend.
Wave

Stencil
Pet Score:3290
Realm:Elune-us

Stencil's Legendary Celestial Teams

Post by Stencil » October 3rd, 2013, 8:51 am

These are my teams for the 4 Celestial Legendaries. My goal was to lock in fast, bulletproof strats that didn't use up to many of my good or interesting pets. I wanted to save as many of those for the underbosses as possible. I ended up with two Daylight/Explode teams and two teams based around Pandaren Water Spirits and Howl.

Zao, Calfling ofNiuzao
4 rounds
1: Echanted, Festival or Lunar Lantern
2: H/H Minfernal or H/H Netherspace Abyssal
3: H/H Minfernal or H/H Netherspace Abyssal
- Illuminate > swap pet
- Explode
- Explode

Yu'la, Broodling of Yu'lon
5 rounds
1: Singing Sunflower
2: Pet Bombling
3: Pet Bombling
- Sunlight > swap pet
- pass > Explode
- Explode

Chi-Chi, Hatchling of Chi-ji
5 rounds
1: Pandaren Water Spirit
2: Chrominius
3: no 3rd pet needed
- Geyser > Whirlpool > swap pet
- Howl > Surge of Power

Xu-Fu, Cub of Xuen
8 rounds
1: Scalded Basilisk Hatchling (Bite, Feign Death, Screech)
2: Pandaren Water Spirit (Water Jet, Whirlpool, Geyser)
3: Fox or Worg with *less* than 1546 health (Bite, Howl, Leap)
- Screech > Feign Death > swap to spirit
- Geyser > Whirlpool > Water Jet (will be killed, select 3rd pet)
- Howl > Leap > Bite

I added the Basilisk to the Xu-Fu team as insurance. I believe that the Water Spirit could be killed in two attacks if Xu-Fu were to get a crit with just one of them. The Basilisk makes sure that the Spirit is faster than Xu-Fu in these turns and then uses Feign Death to safely swap it in; this should make it impossible for the Water Spirit to die before it can apply both Geyser and Whirlpool.

EDIT - I did more testing and Xu-Fu did kill the water spirit in 2 attacks when he crit. Thanks to the Basilisk trick, both Whirpool and Geyser were already up. If this happens, your Fox/Worg should leap on its first turn, before casting Howl at the usual time. If your Fox/Worg then gets 2 shotted and killed after putting up Howl, the the Basilisk should Screech > Bite if its the H/B breed or Bite > Bite if its the H/S.
Last edited by Stencil on October 4th, 2013, 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fmackenz
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Fmackenz » October 3rd, 2013, 1:05 pm

Ok, that's pretty slick.

But why use the Sunflower on Yu'la, Broodling of Yu'lon? Why not just use another lantern? Illuminate does more damage than sunlight. And everyone should have at least 2 lanterns.

Frank (Oberion)

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » October 3rd, 2013, 3:37 pm

Fmackenz wrote:Ok, that's pretty slick.
But why use the Sunflower on Yu'la, Broodling of Yu'lon? Why not just use another lantern? Illuminate does more damage than sunlight. And everyone should have at least 2 lanterns.
Frank (Oberion)
I'd guess it's what he had handy at the time - and it shows what you can do with what you have. The bomblings have less health than the H/H Minfernal/Abyssal's, but 2 of them did well enough with the weaker attack of the Singing Sunflower. Technically he could have used 1 water spirit and healed up between fights, too. It's definitely a fast way to do things, if you have the pets. If you don't have H/H minfernal/abyssals then the strat may not work at all because they could get a heal off and then all you have is a lantern. The optimal explode team is (until you get 2 [pet]Blackfuse Bombling [/pet]) 2 of the H/H Minfernals/Netherspace Abyssals and any of the lanterns with Illuminate. But lots of other combinations can work, just need to see what your pets explode for when buffed by Sunny Day's health increase.

If you only have 1 Pandaren Water Spirit you can even save the Yu-la fight for last so you can heal up your Spirit between the 2 fights you use her in. :) It's all about using what you have.

CutieTaunie
MVP
Pet Score:12014
BattleTag®:Taunie#1587

Post by CutieTaunie » October 4th, 2013, 3:07 am

Anasa wrote:
CutieTaunie wrote:I move on to Kiryn and use the same team that person suggested (Unborn Val'kyr, Blossoming Ancient, and something else). I get no where near close to winning so I restart the tournament so I can try again with the same team

Out of curiosity, what happened on Kiryn that the Val'kyr/Ancient didn't work? Did you try to use Unholy Ascension instead of Haunt?
It wasn't the Val'kyr that was the issue, it was the Blossoming Ancient. He could not kill the Kun'Lai!

Stencil
Pet Score:3290
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Stencil » October 4th, 2013, 10:40 am

Fmackenz wrote:But why use the Sunflower on Yu'la, Broodling of Yu'lon? Why not just use another lantern? Illuminate does more damage than sunlight.
Anything more than 0 would be more damage than Sunlight vs Yu'lon since Emerald Presence blocks all of Sunlight's damage. I guess that using Sunlight does clearly reveal that the Explode damage is sufficient to kill Yu'lon and there is absolutely zero RNG involved. So, you could use a Illuminate for more damage, but that damage would be superfluous to requirements.

That may have been the reason I chose the Sunflower, but I don't really remember for sure. It could have just been an automatic "magic pet versus dragonkin attacks baaaad" kind of thing. /shrug

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322

Post by Anasa » October 4th, 2013, 11:52 am

CutieTaunie wrote:
Anasa wrote:

It wasn't the Val'kyr that was the issue, it was the Blossoming Ancient. He could not kill the Kun'Lai!
Interesting. Here's how my rotation went on that fight if you want to try it again next time she comes around:

Shademaster Kiryn
-[pet]Unborn Val'kyr[/pet] (1,2,1)
-[pet]Blossoming Ancient[/pet] (2,2,2)
-[pet]Darkmoon Tonk[/pet] (1,1,2) (or your favorite burst Mech)

Start with Unborn Val'kyr: Curse of Doom > Haunt (very important to use [ability]Haunt[/ability], NOT Unholy Ascension)
Swap to Blossoming Ancient: Sunlight (gets rid of Nairn's weather) > [ability]Ironbark[/ability] > Photosynthesis > Ironbark
-keep alternating Ironbark with keeping up Sunlight and Photosynthesis, but try to have Sunlight available again for when Stormeon comes out.

I used this team against her several times (had to reset having trouble on Blingtron a bunch of times), and found it to be quite reliable.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: Celestial Tournament 101 [US and EU tips]

Post by Tekulve2012 » October 5th, 2013, 5:41 pm

Posted a shout out recommend for the undercard thread