Celestial Tournament 101 [Full tourney + 4 beasts tips]

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Re: Celestial Tournament 101

Post by Quintessence » September 11th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Xu-Fu is giving me the most problems right now. So many crits destroy my team, and his heal (even without Moonlight) is obnoxious. I'm pretty frustrated at this point, but I refuse to quit since I don't want to start all the way over from the beginning.

I've tried the suggested Call Lightning, Flock and then clean up. Didn't work and Xu-Fu healed up after killing my Chicken. Didn't have a my Tranquil Yeti up to use, so I tried multiple other Call Lightning pets. None of which seemed very effective.

Tried the standard Curse of Doom, Geyser, Whirlpool, Howl, etc. but that failed miserably since Xu-Fu crit Chrominius for over 1k.

Tried a number of other mechs + Call Lightning, but unless the pet had an avoidance move to avoid Feed (an attack+heal), my pets kept going down faster than they could get Xu-Fu's health down. Oh and did I mention the frustratingly large crits at the worst possible times? :(

Edit: I tried the Call Lightning strategy again and the RNG gods were finally in my favor. Manged it with Sunreaver Micro-Sentry, Call Lightning and then swap. Second up was a Westfall Chicken and Flock. Thankfully my chicken dodged quite a bit, allowing it to use Flock more than once. Once it died, brought the Micro-Sentry back in, Call Lightning again and then Laser to finish Xu-Fu off.

I used way more pets than I would have liked just on Xu-Fu. :\
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » September 11th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Chi Chi
I used the classic bof setup, curse of doom pet, swap to pandaren water spirit putting up geyser and whirlpool, then swap to chrominius and using howl and an attack or two to finish off

Yula
Gregarious Grell nearly soloed Yula. Incredible counterpet, then just a couple pets with dragonkin damage

Xu fu
Darkmoon Zeppelin
mechanical pandaren dragonling
darkmoon tonk

Explode is key, seems to ignore the damage reduction

Zao
Sunreaver micro senty
clockwork gnome
tranquil mechanical yeti

Call lightning>fel imolate>swap>Clockwork gknome>build turret>swap>tranquil yeti>call lightning>ion cannon>Swap>clockwork gnome>build Turret>swap>sunreaver mico sentry>fel immolate

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Anasa » September 11th, 2013, 2:33 pm

I have the "Sully, Dr Ion, Cho" setup this week, and here are the teams I used to beat them:

Sully: Spined Terrapin with Powerball and the heal (probably any turtle would work here), Lil Bad Wolf, and Guardian Cub

Dr Ion: Sunreaver Sentry (Call Lightning, DoT) + Netherspace Abyssal (two DoTs, one that works from the backline) + Blossoming Ancient to "tank" through the rest.

Cho: Emerald Proto-Whelp chews through 1.5 of his pets, Flayer Youngling mops up, Kun Lai Runt in reserve in case.

I threw far too many mechs at the Ox celestial. I just could not damage him fast enough to outlast Wish.

Chi Chi, while being flying, doesn't seem to take the bonus damage from Magic like he should. Could not kill him. Leveling up a Darkmoon Eye and Lil Tarecgosa to see if I can do better.

Yu'la I used the Val'kyr, Water Spirit, Chrominius team, but I think I have enough good Humanoids (Flayer Youngling, Kun Lai) that I might start using the Val'kyr team to take out the Ox instead.

I didn't even try Xu'fu. I was getting too sorely beaten up by the others.

I'm going to find another Call Lightning pet, and am considering finding every pet I have with a stun/deflect/dodge and leveling them up.

Anasa
Top Rater

Post by Anasa » September 11th, 2013, 3:28 pm

Bloodhound wrote:Oneshot Chi-Chi with this strategy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm1pwCwwjq4
Could you TL;DW for this? Some of us are at work and can't watch videos :)

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 11th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Anasa wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:Oneshot Chi-Chi with this strategy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm1pwCwwjq4
Uses a Sen`Jin fetish 2/2/1, Disgusting Oozeling 1/1/2 and Enchanted Lantern 1/2/2 with two of them only being uncommon because it was on PTR. Debuff him and dot him. Make sure to reapply the debuff on the Sen'jin rez round. Really didn't even need the lantern as it just cast one ability that was dodged and chi-chi died to dots. All the dots ticking with the extra dmg and 25% additional dmg took him down pretty well.

Adumbledore
Top Rater
Pet Score:9248
BattleTag®:ADumbledore#1672
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Adumbledore » September 11th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Kpb321 wrote:
Anasa wrote:
Uses a Sen`Jin fetish 2/2/1, Disgusting Oozeling 1/1/2 and Enchanted Lantern 1/2/2 with two of them only being uncommon because it was on PTR. Debuff him and dot him. Make sure to reapply the debuff on the Sen'jin rez round. Really didn't even need the lantern as it just cast one ability that was dodged and chi-chi died to dots. All the dots ticking with the extra dmg and 25% additional dmg took him down pretty well.
I did something similar, but with a Rapana Whelk instead of the oozeling. The whelk's nice since it's a critter, it takes reduced damage from fire quills.

Visit my pet battle blog: http://petpersuasion.wordpress.com/

Keavy
Top Rater
Pet Score:3862
Realm:Ahn'Qiraj-eu

Post by Keavy » September 11th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Wrathion
Peanut - Trample, Trumpet Strike and Stampede ( Use Trumpet Strike and then Stampede )
If you don't have Peanut at 25 a cricket works just fine too, just don't forget swarm.
Anubisath Idol - Crush, Stoneskin and Deflection ( Use Stoneskin and Crush, Deflection when Elementium Bolt has 1 round left )
Flayer Youngling - Blitz, Deflection and Kick ( Shouldn't have to do much before the fight is over )

Taran Zhu
Lost of Lordaeron - With Curse of Doom
Stitched Pup - With Howl
Ruby Dropling or a Maggot of some sorts.

Chen Stormstout
Cogblade Raptor S/S breed - Batter, Screech and Exposed Wounds ( Use Eposed Wounds - Screech - Batter )
Sunreaver Micro-Sentry - Laser, Haywire and Supercharge ( Use Supercharge - Haywire, Laser till dead, don't use supercharge when it comes of cd on the elemental. Just Laser. )
Pandaren Water Spirit - Water Jet, Whirlpool and Geyser ( Use Geyser - Whirlpool - Water Jet )
Last edited by Keavy on September 19th, 2013, 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keavy
Top Rater
Pet Score:3862
Realm:Ahn'Qiraj-eu

Post by Keavy » September 11th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Thanks a ton for the link! Too late for me this week, but next week I wont have to go throu 20 pets to take him down...
Chi-Chi was the only one I had problems with! :evil:

Anasa
Top Rater

Post by Anasa » September 11th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Adumbledore wrote:
Kpb321 wrote: Uses a Sen`Jin fetish 2/2/1, Disgusting Oozeling 1/1/2 and Enchanted Lantern 1/2/2 with two of them only being uncommon because it was on PTR. Debuff him and dot him. Make sure to reapply the debuff on the Sen'jin rez round. Really didn't even need the lantern as it just cast one ability that was dodged and chi-chi died to dots. All the dots ticking with the extra dmg and 25% additional dmg took him down pretty well.
I did something similar, but with a Rapana Whelk instead of the oozeling. The whelk's nice since it's a critter, it takes reduced damage from fire quills.
I was looking at the Whelk today too as a candidate for that fight. I got the Living Fluid yesterday, so I'm thinking about just making a heavy-stacked Acidic Goo team to take on Chi-Chi. It helps that I'm not using any pets like that for the other fights. Tainted Waveling looks pretty good too.

Likebigbuttz
Pet Score:5322
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Likebigbuttz » September 11th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Had my first look at the tourny last night. Went in without looking at guides for the challenge of it. All I heard was that it was hard. In the end I was pretty stoked with how well it went.

One shotted the three tamers, just using pets that were strong against their pets.

Goldbloom (Bird, Beast, Magic)
Shimmering Wyrmling (1,2,2)
Havester (1,2,1)
Spawn of Onyxia (2,1,2)

Sully (Undead, Critter, Aqua)
Yellow Bull Frog (2,1,2)
Direhorn Runt (1,1,1)
Highland Turkey (1,1,2)

Lorewalker Cho (Flying, Magic, Dragon)
Nexus Whelpling (1,2,2)
Emerald proto Drake (1,1,1)
Sporeling Sprout (1,1,2)

Zao (Beast)
My first attempt here was a big failure and I had a few moments thinking I would struggle, THEN I remembered a little trick a stumbled upon using Turrets and Black Claw. Needless to say I was very happy with the result. The round where there are two turrets up and he is debuffed with Black Claw - GAME OVER lol

Clockwork Gnome
S/S Zand Dino

Turret, Swap, Black Claw, Swap, Turret

Chi-Chi (Flying)
Want to try 2 snails with Dive, Sheild and Ooze but went with
Crow (1,2,2)
Spectural Porc (1,1,1)
Minfernal (2,1,1)

Used Darkness abilities and worked well enough. I think the snail group will work well bevouse the multi attach is weak against Critters plus Shield to take even more of an edge off. Ooze is strong against flying. Fingers crossed for that, other wise this Darkness team worked fine.

Yu’la (Dragon) – Not killed….
Want to try a team of Voodoo Fig to turn it undead then use a fast rabbit to kill and avoid hits with perhaps a glowfly to tick away damage with the 6% HP debuff.
Will try some hard hitting Humanoids with Deflection too (got ‘Lil Wolf to 25 last night also)

Killed countless pets on this one and made plenty of mistakes. Will keep trying but like the sophistication of an Turn Undead (Rot ability) then using Critters to kill.

Xu-Fu (Beast)
Cograptor
Darkmoon Tonk
???

Killed before it got to the 3rd Pet but it was another hard hitting Mech.
Really need to burst this down. Not sure if I was lucky with RNG but only used the first 2 pets.

Misstic
MVP
Pet Score:6356
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Misstic » September 11th, 2013, 8:19 pm

Rendigar wrote:Did not get enough time in this morning at the tourney to put together sufficient information, but may as well get some of it out here for people who can use it. Sorry in advance for the wordiness, will clean it up when I get to try again tonight. (Note in advance: I have 2 Chrominius' which is how I got to use him for 2 fights).

vs Lorewalker Cho:
Chrominius - Howl + Surge kills Wisdom the owl dead, broom will kill Chrom before he recovers or might get 1 bite in.
Cogblade Raptor [5-S/S] - Infected Wounds + Batter to kill Patience the broom, repeat on the dragon til raptor dies.
Scourged Whelpling [6-H/H] using just Tail Swipe killed him pretty easily.

vs Dr. Ion Goldbloom (Screamer (the ptero flyer) has Feign Death, which swaps in Trike when he uses it):
Emerald Proto-whelp - Proto-strike (hit each other as both up high), Emerald Bite, Ancient Blessing (he swaps out), continue Emerald bite on Trike (you get 1st hit with non-P/P breeds), Proto-Strike if alive to do so, then Emerald Bite til whelp dies.
Darkmoon Tonk - missile till Trike dies, Screamer will be slower so you shoot before he flies up if he comes out. vs Chaos Shock & Awe + Ion Cannon then Missile til Tonk dies.
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling cast Decoy and then Breath until Chaos dies. Breath til Screamer dies (if he swapped out twice)

vs Sully "The Pickle" McLeary
Imperial Eagle Chick - Thrash , Lift-Off, Thrash, Adrenaline Rush, Thrash til he ascends. Thrash vs Monte (Lift-off after he dives, if you are still faster) til Eagle dies.
Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot [5-S/S] - Minefield, Missile til Monte dies (you are faster if S/S breed). Sticky grenade, Missile til Bot dies.
Gilnean Raven - Call Darkness + Nocturnal Strike (Alpha Strike if needed due to dodges)

Against the 4 legendary beasts I used some canned teams from my Pandaria legendaries:
vs Zao (the ox, who has a massive 990+ pt heal) a team of Zandalari raptors (3 of them, though I only needed 2) with Black Claw + Hunting Party finished him off quickly.

vs Yu'la (dragon, who has no heal, but does have a lift-off evade/attack and low health), I used a classic explode team - enchanted lantern to cast Illuminate, swap to a minfernal/netherspace abyssal and explode (make sure to use it in response to his lift-off, which he will probably open with), then a darkmoon zepplin to explode.

vs Xu'fu (tiger, 3rd ability is a claw w/massive heal) I used the "classic" burst team - Val'Kyr (unholy ascension), Pandaren Water Spirit (Geyser, Whirlpool, dies before Water Jet casts), Chrominius (Howl, Surge of Power)

vs Chi-Chi I ran out of time before the server restart, I screwed up too many times to win in time. He always starts with his tranquility (heal over 2 turns) then an attack (his only attack is a 1-2 shot elemental, with +1 attack if he's faster, which he is) then his evade (100% chance to dodge for the turn it's cast on). He doesn't always cast Tranquility when it's available, but he always uses his dodge when it's available (so far as I've seen). Mana Surge misses too often, and he hits too hard, any misses = loss. Still trying.
Nice write up thank you. I did have an issue though. You said to use "Chrominius" TWICE. Mine was dead when I got to Xu'fu. Do you have 2 leveled? Thank you.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479

Post by Tekulve2012 » September 11th, 2013, 8:52 pm

For those fighting the Dragonoid Yu-la (or yu-lan)
This is 1 of the 4 beasts bosses you beat after Pickle/Ion and Cho

I checked and its true that the Gregarious Grell can solo this pet ..just use its block and cauterize and its first attack which is strong vs dragons does the rest ... Awesomely efficient

Raptorbait

Post by Raptorbait » September 11th, 2013, 9:54 pm

Tekulve2012 wrote:For those fighting the Dragonoid Yu-la (or yu-lan)

I checked and its true that the Gregarious Grell can solo this pet ..just use its block and cauterize and its first attack which is strong vs dragons does the rest ... Awesomely efficient
You musta got lucky. Nothing seems to work here for me...maybe I'm just unlucky. I give up...this sucks.

Annys
Top Rater
Pet Score:4729
BattleTag®:Annys72#1333
Realm:Mok'Nathal-us

Post by Annys » September 11th, 2013, 10:47 pm

My husband beat the tourney twice..once for himself and once for me. The most difficult for him was Xu-Fu. The way we figured this was to block his healing ability. This is what we found made it impossible to beat him. We used 3 moths for this strategy. (Thank goodness we collected so many moths). He will not use his last (healing) ability unless he takes a certain amount of dmg (about 200-400) then he will use it for every cd, so what we did was hibernate every time he was about to use it and hope that our moth puts him to sleep to get those extra hits.

With Chi-Chi he used Arcane eye and pets like him. He used blind and shield.

We figured out for the pet trainers to use pets that were capable of taking out their pets but not use our power pets or our favorites until we got to the Legendary pets. He figured it out the second time around when he did my tournament. It took him a long time to get both but he got them.

Good luck to all and I hope this helps out a bit! :)

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554

Post by Kpb321 » September 11th, 2013, 11:42 pm

Raptorbait wrote:
Tekulve2012 wrote:For those fighting the Dragonoid Yu-la (or yu-lan)

You musta got lucky. Nothing seems to work here for me...maybe I'm just unlucky. I give up...this sucks.
Grell can definitely solo him. It did it for me too but there were some lucky spots where yu-la missed so I'd be prepared with another 2 pets if you need them.Biggest tip I can give is be early on the healing. You don't want to waste it but he hits hard when the racial activates due to you dropping below 50%.

Anasa
Top Rater

Post by Anasa » September 12th, 2013, 12:37 am

I beat it tonight!

I had to use the BoF team for Chi-Chi, but my other plans worked out fine. Whelk + Living Fluid + Lil Tarecgosa was NOT enough to overcome those quills and tranquility.

I'll post my full teams/strats tomorrow. I bought Chi Chi as the first pet because he was the most annoying! Also his set of abilities are the most interesting to me.

Nihilith
Pet Score:8734
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu

Post by Nihilith » September 12th, 2013, 1:51 am

Delinda wrote:I'm having big problems with Taran Zhu and his monks. Has anyone managed to beat him?
Managed to be consistent with the following set-up:

Unborn Val'kyr: Shadow Slash - Curse of Doom - Unholy Ascension
Lost of Lordaeron: Absorb - Siphon Life - Curse of Doom
Stitched Pup: Diseased Bite - Howl - Plagued Blood

Darklynx
Pet Score:9711
Realm:Tol Barad-us

Post by Darklynx » September 12th, 2013, 2:58 am

That's how I did it the first week:

Lorewalker Cho
- Shimmering Wyrmling (1/1/2)
- Dark Whelpling (2/2/1)
- Qiraji Guardling (1/1/2) Breed: 11/21

Wisdon: Netherwyrm > Drain Power > Deflection > Feedback until you kill it [should take 3]
2nd pet: Deflection > Feedback until you die
Dark Whelp > Tail Sweep until you kill it.
3rd Pet: If Dark Whelp is alive, Darkness > Tail Sweep.
If not:
Qiraji Guard: Blackout Kick > Crush > Crush

Ion Bloom
- Azure Whelpling (2/2/2)
- Yellow Moth [P/P] (2/1/1)
- Scourged Whelpling (2/2/1)

Azure Whelp > Ice Tomb > Breath > Breath (Ice Tomb will hit)
He'll switch pets, so Breath on the switch.
2nd pet: Breath until you die.
Scourged Whelp > Dragon Tail it kills, if he put on Screamer use Death and Decay, because he'll Fake Death.
On the undead turn of the Scourged Whelp, put up Plaged Blood.
Yellow Moth: Moth Balls > Cocoon Strike > Alpha Strike until you win
If Screamer is still alive, Alpha Strike ftw.

Sully
- Stitched Pup (2/2/2)
- Stunted Shardhorn (1/1/1) Breed: 6/16
- Brilliant Kaliri (2/1/2)

Plagued Blood -> Howl -> Flurry (it'll be a double k.o. and he'll die after)
Throw the Stunted Shardhorn -> Trumpet Strike
2nd pet: Trumpet Strike again (if you're slower) -> SMASH
3rd pet: Smash until you die.
Throw Brilliant Kaliri.
Shriek -> Quills -> Quills -> Predatory Strike

And you're set. Now to the Celestials:

Yu'la
- Qiraji Guardling (The same from the first fight, he should not have taken any damage)
- Feline Familiar (stoned) (1/2/2)
- Pandaren Monk (2/2/1)

Blackout Kick -> Punch Punch Punch [he'll lift-off] -> Hawk Eye -> Punch until you die.
Feline Familiar -> Call Darkness -> Onyx Bite until you die or he dies
Pandaren Monk -> Fury of 1000 Fists.

Zao
- Sunreaver Micro-Sentry (2/2/1)
- Zandalari Kneebiter (Power) (2/2/2)
- Zandalari Anklerender (Speed) (2/1/2)

Call Lightning -> Fel Immolate -> Fel Immolate
Zandalari Kneebiter > Black Claw > Hunting Party (he should die now)
If he doesn't: Zandalari Anklerender -> Hunting Party (he should still have both debuffs from the Anklerender, so you can just attack)

Xu-Fu
- Fjord Worf Pup (1/2/2)
- Darkmoon Tonk (1/1/2)
- Menagerie Custodian (2/1/2)

Worg Pup > Dazzle Dance > Howl > Bite until you die
Tonk > Shock and Awe > Missile > Ion Cannon

Chi-Chi [Aka Hellspawn] - Sad fact: I tried the Apocalypse strat with a Cockcroach and a immortal Crawdad against it. New boss mechanics don't allow it to die. FUN.
- Gilnean Raven (1/1/2)
- Silkbead Snail (1/2/2)
- Lil' Tarecgosa (2/1/1)

Dark Flame > Nevermore > Swap to Lil Tarecgosa
Arcane Blast > Arcane Blast > Arcane Blast > Surge of Power [She should kill your pet here]
Snail > Acidic Goo [make sure it hits] > Ooze Touch until you kill it.
You can use the Gilnean Raven to finish it off if RNG is mean, just remember to use Dark Flame first and Nevermore before he uses the attack (if you're faster, which you should be)

Ridgebj
Pet Score:3993
BattleTag®:dds#1808
Realm:Gundrak-us

Post by Ridgebj » September 12th, 2013, 3:11 am

For Zu-fu I followed advice I found on YouTube and used a p/p fjord worg and a p/p spider with tonk as backup

Dazzling dance
Howl
Dead
Brittle webbing
Spiderling swarm
Zu-fu dead

Perhaps I got lucky but I can't recall any crits