Tocy's Guide on Pet Battles: Discussion, what say you?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us
Re: Tocy's Guide on Pet Battles: Discussion, what say you?

Post by Yamum » August 1st, 2013, 6:12 am

Thanks for the guide. The English is a bit difficult...

Chimonks
Pet Score:2869
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Chimonks » August 1st, 2013, 6:23 am

Yes, the post could be cleaned up a little bit. But other than that, nice job. Some good ideas!

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » August 2nd, 2013, 11:31 am

“…when i asked the eprson who used it, he said…” How can you talk with someone you are or have pet battled with?

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » August 4th, 2013, 9:15 am

Man, if you wrote - I lost 90% of battles before I found tips what I want to show you, - it could be interesting. Not this. You see, teams like "2 anubs + magical crawdad" were well known from time Anub was added.

Simmias
Pet Score:4458
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Simmias » August 6th, 2013, 12:18 am

People will not bother to look at forum threads when they are horrible to read. Stop using elipses all the time and please spellcheck before submitting. Take your time when creating and you will get better replies.

Smokes
Pet Score:2626
BattleTag®:Smokes#1457
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Smokes » August 6th, 2013, 3:59 am

I have to agree that your post is hard to read, which (other than the fact that I have yet to PvP pet battle) is why I did not comment. If you are making a guide that you would like people to use for reference, using a lot of abbreviations like 'ur' and 'combis' combined with the absurd amount of unnecessary ellipses, clusters of exclamation points points and misspellings are things to avoid. Your post is long and you put a good deal of thought into the content, but because you don't appear to have put the same thought into composing the post, it encourages readers to skip most of it or give up entirely. I think if you used the edit button and cleaned it up as has been suggested, then you might find yourself with the lively pet team composition discussion you want!

Rosalyne
Top Rater
Pet Score:5903
BattleTag®:Rosalyne#1595
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Rosalyne » August 6th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Simmias wrote:People will not bother to look at forum threads when they are horrible to read. Stop using elipses all the time and please spellcheck before submitting. Take your time when creating and you will get better replies.
Agreed. I haven't read most of this user's posts because they're simply way too hard to read. Use proper sentence structure instead of ellipses, avoid abbreviations unless they're common ones and use spellcheck - Firefox has it built in, and I believe Chrome does too.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » August 6th, 2013, 6:33 pm

I suggest people try to let the grammar and appearance of the original post slide for a few reasons: (a) there is already a lack of true pet battle discussion here and discouraging expression of ideas won't help (b) We all know people who post here have various ages and languages of origin...we can cut people some slack [ I'm not presuming anything about this thread's original author] and (c) I wonder if some people are reluctant to post their winning combos for fear of having to face that same team in pet pvp. It would be a poor reason to bash this thread.

I check this forum as often as the trade threads in hopes of reading sharp commentary from users like Poofah, Luciandk and others ... Keep it fun everyone and we might all learn more

Rosalyne
Top Rater

Post by Rosalyne » August 7th, 2013, 1:17 pm

My intent wasn't really "bashing" but offer some tips to get more interest. I would love to have a discussion about pet battles and good teams we've seen, but it's very hard to comment on a post that you are struggling to read. Even just cleaning up the sentence structure would help. I was assuming that the poster is likely not a native English speaker, which is fine. Honestly, the ellipses and "stream of consciousness" style is what makes it most difficult.

And back on topic - I've encountered some seriously nasty team setups in pvp, but naturally can't remember any off the top of my head. I'm going to be doing my weekly shortly though, so I'll keep an eye out for any particularly wicked teams.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » August 7th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Some really good ideas here thanks for the tips because.... I need them. LOL

Guys not everyone has English down pat, and for a lot of people English is a 2nd language. I have no knowledge of this author's origins but I do ABSOLUTELY love that FACT that they are trying to help people with pet PvP.

Anything and anyone has to help me get to a place where I am more comfortable and confident in my pet PvP abilities is greatly appreciated. (Cuz honestly I am not so good at it.) Ok truth is I am awful LOL

Rosalyne
Top Rater

Post by Rosalyne » August 7th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Just lost (badly!) to a nasty team makeup: Wild Jade Hatchling, Clockwork Gnome and Zandalari Kneebiter P/P

He brought out the Hatchling first and used Call Lightning, switched to Clockwork Gnome and planted a Turret, then swapped in the Kneebiter for Black Claw. The ticks of the turret were doing about 250 per hit, plus the extra from the lightning. I managed to kill the Kneebiter and get the Hatchling to about half hp, but he wasted me pretty quickly.

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » August 9th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Lightning teams well played are not “Lucky”. They are a good team. Anything can be easy to counter if you know what you are facing. Thing is, typically you don’t. In 10 random battles, when I play, that lightning team (though I use an SS Zandalari) I usually win 7 or 8 +/-. in 10 random battles. I don’t know about that counter team. Have you ever played it? Will it beat the popular pvp teams? If it can, why don’t I ever see it? What 3rd pet do you recommend? And what is your general strategy and synergy. I will play that team and let you all know my results. I believe if you face a good team you should make that team and play it. Learn its strengths and weaknesses. Then see if you can’t improve it. Same key skills with a better breed or even a different pet with the same key skill but a better overall move set.

Rosalyne
Top Rater

Post by Rosalyne » August 9th, 2013, 9:48 pm

Holyalliance wrote:easy to counter...a team that can counter is...minfernal/ragnaros/any pet with a weawther effect that goes good with this combi

your opponent was just lucky...
Yeah, it's easy to counter - IF I knew what team I would be facing. It's impossible to predict the exact makeup of a team in random battles. I'm well aware of many teams that could counter the lightning team, but if I start running with them, then I can easily be countered by someone with a different setup that is strong against mine. I thought the point of this thread was to discuss strong combinations, which is what I did. I got my butt kicked, thought it seemed like an interesting team (first time I'd seen that exact setup), so I posted about it.

I do pet pvp for fun and always use the same team. I probably have a 50/50 win ratio, but I'm just doing it for fun and to get the Stunted Direhorn. It interests me to see some of the teams I face - there's been some good ones!

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » August 9th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Holyalliance wrote:easy to counter...a team that can counter is...minfernal/ragnaros/any pet with a weawther effect that goes good with this combi

your opponent was just lucky...

those types of combi pets like he has, only works best against certain teams...just like what i go with imp/fel flame/zandalari

Exactly, when I start seeing a lot of direhorns, it is time to pull out the lightning-turrets-dots

You would not believe how fast a direhorn dies to a sunreaver ( storm-dot) and then clockwork-turret

Rosalyne
Top Rater

Post by Rosalyne » August 10th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Azrile wrote:Exactly, when I start seeing a lot of direhorns, it is time to pull out the lightning-turrets-dots

You would not believe how fast a direhorn dies to a sunreaver ( storm-dot) and then clockwork-turret
This is precisely the reason I cry when I see a lightning/turret team...I use a Pygmy Direhorn. :lol: But like I said, I'm not really serious about pvp, so I just stick with the one team and whine a little when I get my butt kicked.