Ability Type vs Pet Type??

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Reapersbeast
Top Rater
Pet Score:3171
Realm:Anub'arak-us
Ability Type vs Pet Type??

Post by Reapersbeast » July 15th, 2013, 10:09 pm

So I have to ask, Anyone know why the pet abilities don't match the type of pets??

For example: it would only make sense for a dragonkin's abilities to be classified as Dragonkin, instead they're all random! Now if they wanted to come out with "special/unique/rare"(whatever you want to call them) types of pets, and make a certain dragonkin have a beast ability or something like that, that would be pretty cool, and probably make that pet very sought-after! But instead they decided to just make all the pets randomly have other types of pets abilites....smh! Sometimes I just can't understand Blizz lol!

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Ability Type vs Pet Type??

Post by Quintessence » July 15th, 2013, 10:24 pm

I think it's good that some pets are assigned different ability types. It keeps things interesting and adds some variety to gameplay. I'd get bored pretty quickly if every pet was predictable in that it has the same ability type as its pet family.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » July 15th, 2013, 10:35 pm

Yeah, it would be very boring and predictable if pets only had the same attacks as their species. There are already way too many pets with the exact same spells.

It also gives you a ton more options against the pve tamers.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » July 16th, 2013, 10:51 am

It would help me, for pet sorting, if I could list pets according to the types of pets they were strong AGAINST. At this time, the filters arrange pets by the family that their abilities represent (i.e., Mechanical types of abilities). This tends to encourage me to look mainly for Mechanical pets when I need to counter a Beast. It would really be helpful if I could sort for "counter to Beast", so that I could easily find all the pets, whatever family, that would fit the need.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » July 16th, 2013, 5:47 pm

I think as a general trend it is true that for most pets their ability types for most of their moves match their pet type. Obviously there are lots of individual exceptions but I think it still works as a general rule. Most undead pets have largely undead move. Most aquatic pets have largely aquatic moves. As a pet type, dragonkin, does tend to have more mismatched abilities that some other types of pets but that also makes some sense at some level. Dragonkin are powerful creatures and the different colors have different affinities for different types of magic.

Reapersbeast
Top Rater
Pet Score:3171
Realm:Anub'arak-us

Post by Reapersbeast » July 24th, 2013, 2:09 am

Well sorry to disagree with some of ya but I think Just like every other game, and every other aspect of WoW the spell types should match the class type! I don't want to see a warrior changing into a bear for tanking like a druid does, or a warlock healing a raid. And I don't want to see a tailor making plate armor. There's a reason things match, and not just for common sense, it's for the best/simple organization and convience to say the least! And it would give you the oppertunity to make those rare and unique pets with multiple spell types because the types are similar and benefit each other!

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » July 24th, 2013, 2:30 am

The best counter to magic pets that I have found is the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling... a mechanical pet with a dragonkin attack. I use mine against a number of tamers which would be very difficult to fight if I did not have a pet that was both strong against them and against which their attacks are weak.

There are other examples, but that is the one that comes most readily to my mind.

It has been my experience that pets can be considered to have a sub-type (as it were) and most (if not all) of a given pet's abilities fit either their main type or their sub-type. Take a good look at the pets that have abilities that do not match their families and I am sure that you will be able to see why their abilities that are of a different type fit them.

If the attack types always fit the families, then we would just have a game of rock/paper/scissors.

Violetfemme
Top Rater
Pet Score:4120
BattleTag®:Violet#1301
Realm:Aegwynn-us

Post by Violetfemme » July 24th, 2013, 6:03 am

I love the varying moves within a specific pet type. I think of the pet as far more versatile if I can use it against multiple opponent types. In PvP, that is a necessity since you never know what pets the opponent is coming at you with.

But even for tamer dailies this feature is great! My favorite thing to do is bring an aquatic pet with a non aquatic move to the daily tamer battle in Deadwind Pass. She has 2 undead pets and an elemental and my Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog (P/P) has a strong aquatic move Frog Kiss against her "Jack" and has a strong undead move Tongue Lash against her two undead pets. And to top it off, the undead are weak against aquatic pets. I love that my frog has an alternate family move for this reason. I have other situations too with the tamers, but this is my favorite because I discovered it purely by accident.