Wild Crimson Hatchling with Aki?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us
Wild Crimson Hatchling with Aki?

Post by Breehit » July 10th, 2013, 7:01 pm

I just got finished with the Pandaria trainers, and I have hit Aki the Chosen. The Wild Crimson Hatchling seems to get me every time. I have tried several different pets that are supposed to be strong vs dragonkin (humanoids..kun lai runt, qiraji guardling) without success. I have read that Anubisath idol might work, but his sandstorm is not strong vs dragonkin, so I was unsure. Also, I know that some of the pets were recently changed/nerfed, so I was not sure that older recommendations were still valid. What pets will work to defeat Aki currently? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Wild Crimson Hatchling with Aki?

Post by Luciandk » July 10th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Use Anubisath Idol and Jade Owl

Use Crush, Stoneskin and Deflection

on critter. Pop Stoneskin, spam crush until you need to refresh stoneskin. Always do it with 1 turn left on duration, or you become vulnerable to debuff next turn. As long you have the stoneskin up, no doubledamage.

Once it dies and you face Stormlash. Open up with Deflection to resist Call Lightning. Dont bother with Stoneskin now, Spam Crush until it dies.

Depending on how much health you have left, you can make a good dent in the otter as well. but make sure to time Stoneskin refreshes to the turns where it dives, then pop deflection on the turn after. Sometimes Anub have soloed the whole team. But usually he gets popped by the otter. Then swap in Jade owl and finish it off.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » July 10th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Thanks! I will try it!

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » July 11th, 2013, 2:29 am

Frosty (wotlk collectors edition) works excellent against him if you have him. Change the weather with Blizzard on the first turn and then just beat away with the #1 ability. i usually put down ice tomb near the end to stun the 3rd pet.

i start out with Hyjal bear, who demolishes the first pet. But you need to swap in Frosty when the first pet dies or the bear will die on the first hit. I swap in Frosty, he beats dragon pretty easily, then he dies to the 3rd boss, bring back the Hyjal bear, who can just about finish off the 3rd pet, which makes this Tamer battle a great way to quickly boost a lvl 20ish pet.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » July 11th, 2013, 4:22 am

Most lvl 1s can easilly survive a single round with the critter pet, due to that it always starts with Stampede. Only exception is undead that takes increased damage from critter attacks. And a lowbie just needs to soak damage once to get xp.

Just use Anub, it hard counters the first 2 pets due to taking less damage from critters and crush severely hurts dragons. And you have Deflection to stop Call Lightning, as well Stoneskin to never take the double damage debuff.

Sandstorm while lasting longer, is too much of a pain with the critter. Due to the lowered hit and damage done, it will take a LONG time to spam Crush to overcome its constant healing.

Tenshiame
Top Rater
Pet Score:3475
BattleTag®:AmaraAme#1364
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Tenshiame » July 11th, 2013, 6:20 am

I beat it in 2 hits with my pandarean monk pet every time

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » July 11th, 2013, 6:48 am

Aki is one from easiest pet masters. Anub with sandstorm can get whole team solo. If I lvling my pets I do it same way - Anub - sanstorm -swap on 1 lvl pet, swap on Anub and kill 1st with no xp lose, deflect lighting storm, sandstorm next round. Anub is slower drake so he didnt get duble hit from tail atack. If he still have near 1k hp after drake he also got otter. If it will not happen you may use some bird or mosh.
GG and your 1st lvl pet stays 10-14 lvl (up to buffs).

Teacake
Pet Score:2717
Realm:Misha-us

Post by Teacake » July 11th, 2013, 8:50 am

I use Scourged Whelpling, Darkness and then Tail Sweep, never have any problems and generally get a few hits in on the otter as well. I use a Flayer Youngling for the cricket - one Rampage takes it out - and keep it in to Deflect the Lightning Storm before bringing in the Whelpling. (Flayer still has plenty of health left to finish off the otter once your leveling pet has gone in for one round, as well.)

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » July 11th, 2013, 9:20 am

Peoples problem is the Call Lightning when your pet still has Shattered Defenses up from the critter. Any pet that got a mitigation shield that allows full block of Swarm against will take out the critter as Swarm is the only attack it got.

On the dragonkin, without shattered defences on you, its quite easy. A flurry like attack will do wonders, utilize the Call Lightning to your own good.

Simple solution: Get Anubisath Idol, I do use Stoneskin>Sandstorm myself on the fight. I stopped deflecting the Call Lightning as the damage isn't quite high, dragon goes down one round faster. But either way works. You only die if you miss several Crushes, the dragon needs 3 to die.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » July 11th, 2013, 9:38 am

The 'Veteren' pet guide use a Spirit Crab, easy to get from ghostlands beach as a wild pet.

Shell shield completely negates the swarm, and most of the call lightning damage. This pet will reiably take out first two pets and even get a whirlpool on the otter.

Then any flying pet will mop up the otter.

This has been my preferred tactic since they nerfed oozes.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » July 11th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Gromagrim wrote:The 'Veteren' pet guide use a Spirit Crab, easy to get from ghostlands beach as a wild pet.

Shell shield completely negates the swarm, and most of the call lightning damage. This pet will reiably take out first two pets and even get a whirlpool on the otter.

This is the strat that I currently use. Works like a charm!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Slick
Pet Score:1771
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Slick » July 11th, 2013, 1:22 pm

I always solo this with Anub using the other posters strat but I use Sandstorm instead of Stoneskin so I can bring level 1's in during the critter to level them to 9 (with lesser biscuit). If I get a lot of unlucky misses then I may not solo and have to start again but normally I 1 shot it. I don't deflect call lightning I just crush him until dead.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » July 11th, 2013, 4:35 pm

This fight should be a joke to beat with any decent pet that has a good dmg reduction buff/debuff. Several have already been mentioned here such as a Crab or Anub but there are many other options available. The key is that the cricket's only attack is the stamped type attack. A good dmg reducer will completely block it so you basically take no dmg while killing him and importantly prevent the double dmg debuff from being up when Aki uses his big weather attack on the first round after the cricket dies. At that point you've got three pets to kill of Aki's remaining two pets so it really isn't hard to manage. A good flyer like a P/P moth will easily own the last pet.

Dawayn
MVP
Pet Score:4305
BattleTag®:Dawayn#2413
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Dawayn » July 11th, 2013, 11:47 pm

My team consists of
Kun Lai Runt (thrash, mangle, rampage) vs the Critter
Scourged Whelpling (tail sweep, call darkness, plagues blood) vs the Hatchling and
Disgusting Oozeling (absorb, corrosion, acidic goo) vs Whiskers

The Runt always survives the cricket (Chirrup), and he also always survives the first hit by the crimson hatchling. He then lands Mangle on her and dies :)

Next comes in Scourged Whelpling with Call Darkness. That should take off about 50% of the hatchling's health. Next Plagued Blood because everytime it attacks you, you'll gain some health back. And the tail sweep, tail sweep and so on. Dead in no time

Most times the Scourged Whelpling also kills Whiskers, sometimes the third pet is necessary. I just dot whiskers to death then in one or two turns.

Good luck :)

Keavy
Top Rater
Pet Score:3862
Realm:Ahn'Qiraj-eu

Post by Keavy » July 12th, 2013, 5:41 am

I do it with a s/s Zandalari Kneebiter and Clockwork Gnome.
The dragons lightning storm boosts all mechanical abilitys, inc the three shots fired from turrets!

Take care of the critter with black claw and hunting party.
Next you put black claw up on stormlash the dragon. Your raptor will die from lightning storm, so a speed/speed breed raptor is recomended.

Clockwork Gnome comes in and puts up turret, most of the time this alone will finish the dragon.

Most times I get the Otter down too without repairing the Gnome.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » July 12th, 2013, 7:03 am

Keavy wrote:Take care of the critter with black claw and hunting party.
Next you put black claw up on stormlash the dragon. Your raptor will die from lightning storm, so a speed/speed breed raptor is recomended.
As long as you use Leap instead of Hunting Party a P/P will be fast enough to go first against Stormlash.

Khorah
Pet Score:11506
BattleTag®:Khorah#1833
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Khorah » July 12th, 2013, 8:08 am

Gromagrim wrote:The 'Veteren' pet guide use a Spirit Crab, easy to get from ghostlands beach as a wild pet.

+1
I struggled with Aki and skipped her until I read this strat.. It is almost laughable now to beat her..
I use Spirit Crab, Pterrordax Hatchling (just for giggles), and a lowbie pet to level up.. Aki gives AWESOME exp for pets!!
Load up Snap, Whirlpool, and Shell Shield.. Start off with shield and keep it up at all times.. learn the crickets rotation (swarm swarm, team heal, big heal, swarm..).. Your shield means you take NO damage from swarm, so if you miss, just keep watching the rotation.. You want to be able to kill him with one Snap, but before you do, refresh shield, use whirlpool, then finish him off. This means that when the dragon comes up, you can hit him with Snap, then the whirlpool goes off..
For the dragon, keep using Snap and keep you shield up which negates the Lightning Storm..
You should finish the fight with ~500 hits.. You want to finish the dragon with Whirlpool off of cd!
The otter always starts with dive, so hit him with whirlpool.. this DOES affect him even with him submerged... His dive will probably kill you, which is fine since the crab is undead.. You rez and hit him with snap, and whirlpool goes off.. You hit him with a final snap before you die again..
At this point, he has ~300-400 hits.. Switch in your lowbie, then switch in your flyer and finish him off..

Profit :D

Slab
Pet Score:3088
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Slab » July 12th, 2013, 8:33 am

Aki is, IMO, the line in the sand where you have top stop thinking about what pet to use because of Pokemon rules ("It's a Water pet, so use Flying") and start being more specific about the movesets ("Wild Crimson Hatchling uses Call Lightning, which can be negated by Stoneskin or Shell Shield"), and find the overlap between moves/strength/etc you need for the three enemy pets and a pet you own.

That's where the community guide come in, and I haven't seen anyone link it yet so here: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =10&t=4314

Spirit Crab's Shell Shield stops virtually all of Chirrup's damage, and then minimizes Stormlash's Call Lightning, so he helps you get pretty far in the fight.

(There is also a "beginner" version of that guide": http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =10&t=4580. Check them both out, even after doing almost every Pet Tamer daily for months, I still refer back to it for ideas and memory refreshing.)

Dawayn
MVP
Pet Score:4305
BattleTag®:Dawayn#2413
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Dawayn » July 13th, 2013, 12:03 am

In this thread the guide you mention had been referred to as the 'veteren' pet guide :)