What an ass move!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Robsolo
What an ass move!

Post by Robsolo » June 25th, 2013, 7:24 pm

This is the first time I have experienced this.

I did a pet battle last night. Somehow it came down to our last pets. (I'm really bad and usually loose before I've even killed one opponent.)

It was my magic crawdad vs his cricket thing. Because of the heals on both, the battle was really long. I knew I had a slight advantage, so I kept at it. Hit, hit, heal, shield, hit, hit, hit, heal, etc.... I think he knew it too, because he started letting the clock almost play out each round before doing his move, so I would get bored. Even when he KNEW I was going to win, he keep doing it. Then, when it was a 100% sure thing I would win, instead of running, he just left the computer, so the last few rounds I just played myself as the clock ran out each turn and he did nothing.

What an ass! At least it was a win.

Have people experienced similar encounters?

Selina
Pet Score:7553
BattleTag®:Tigerlily#1408
Realm:Stormrage-us

Re: What an ass move!

Post by Selina » June 25th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Oh yes, I experienced this earlier today, and many other times. I was using my darkness team, and it was obvious I was going to win was at full health he was about 30% on his direhorn, so the person let the time run out. They are fixing it in 5.4, though.

Nivrax
Pet Score:2635
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Nivrax » June 26th, 2013, 3:44 am

I had it happen only once in 100+ battles. For a troll move, it's pretty weak. I mean, they wasting your both your time and their time. If they think it's worth it, it means they think your time is more important than theirs, so you're better anyway, at least that's my point of view :P.

Crysania
Pet Score:2661
Realm:Nemesis-eu

Post by Crysania » June 26th, 2013, 4:30 am

I found a team called Wait Or Leave, 3 undead pets with a lot of health
As team name says, he didnt do anything whole combat.
I won after very long time, waited 10 seconds then joined another battle: still him :cry: this time I left

Blizzard should do something, halve time for choosing abilities or pets could be a start

Caniki
Pet Score:7379
BattleTag®:Caniki#1336
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Caniki » June 26th, 2013, 5:49 am

This is being addressed in patch 5.4, thankfully.

Violetfemme
Top Rater
Pet Score:4120
BattleTag®:Violet#1301
Realm:Aegwynn-us

Post by Violetfemme » June 26th, 2013, 6:04 am

How are they addressing it? I don't want them to take away too much time, as sometimes it takes a little longer to figure out a strategy against a particularly strong team. I guess it could be something like the deserter debuffs where if you go afk and "time-out" of too many rounds, you can't battle for 30 mins.

I have only seen it happen a few times as we got to the end of the battle and it was clear I was winning. I wasn't sure if the opponent was trying to work on a strategy or deliberately trying to annoy me. However, I won and also had the pleasure of seeing the same opponent in the next battle and watching him/her forfeit to me.

Teacake
Pet Score:2717
Realm:Misha-us

Post by Teacake » June 26th, 2013, 7:36 am

Violetfemme wrote:How are they addressing it?
Sort of like diminishing returns on turn timers:
Round timers in PvP Pet Battles will now get progressively shorter for a player who takes more than 15 seconds to issue a command during their turn.
I think it's a smart approach. There aren't many times in a battle where choosing takes a long time several turns in a row, so this shouldn't hurt people genuinely trying to think out their strategy, but if you get into a battle with a clock-runner, it won't be all that long before you can just swat them to death and go.

Violetfemme
Top Rater
Pet Score:4120
BattleTag®:Violet#1301
Realm:Aegwynn-us

Post by Violetfemme » June 26th, 2013, 11:09 am

Nice! I think that will be perfect! I can't think of any time where I needed to "think" each round. Usually it is only at the beginning or if one of my pets gets demolished far quicker than expected.

Robsolo

Post by Robsolo » June 26th, 2013, 10:37 pm

As for the 'wasting his time and yours'...

That's what I thought too. Maybe he left, but maybe he was just sitting there waiting for me to play it out. So I healed myself up to full and cast shield on myself again, just to take up a few extra turns in case he was sitting at the computer! I didn't care. I was just happy for the win!

ha. ha.

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » June 27th, 2013, 11:12 am

Crysania wrote:I found a team called Wait Or Leave, 3 undead pets with a lot of health
As team name says, he didnt do anything whole combat.
I won after very long time, waited 10 seconds then joined another battle: still him :cry: this time I left
I know I'm stubborn but there's no way in hell I would ever let this dbag get away with a "victory". If the guy is just alt-tabbed and wants to grind his "wins" like that, whatever, but there's no way I'm enabling that, and I have all the time in the world when it comes to "beat" him at his game. Same with people who try to troll you with the name of their pets, all it does is make me feel good when they get a nice spanking.

Teacake
Pet Score:2717
Realm:Misha-us

Post by Teacake » June 27th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Dash wrote: I know I'm stubborn but there's no way in hell I would ever let this dbag get away with a "victory". If the guy is just alt-tabbed and wants to grind his "wins" like that, whatever, but there's no way I'm enabling that, and I have all the time in the world when it comes to "beat" him at his game. Same with people who try to troll you with the name of their pets, all it does is make me feel good when they get a nice spanking.
I've started keeping my Kindle at my desk for this very purpose. (Or as a last resort, I have plenty of, yanno, work I could be doing.)

And I really wish there was a way to report pet names. I'm not easily offended and don't want to be the WoW police, but making me look at racial slurs is not cool.

Ridgebj
Pet Score:3993
BattleTag®:dds#1808
Realm:Gundrak-us

Post by Ridgebj » June 30th, 2013, 7:50 am

Teacake wrote:
Violetfemme wrote:How are they addressing it?
Sort of like diminishing returns on turn timers:
Round timers in PvP Pet Battles will now get progressively shorter for a player who takes more than 15 seconds to issue a command during their turn.
I think it's a smart approach. There aren't many times in a battle where choosing takes a long time several turns in a row, so this shouldn't hurt people genuinely trying to think out their strategy, but if you get into a battle with a clock-runner, it won't be all that long before you can just swat them to death and go.
Would be better to auto forfeit after missing 3 rounds in my opinion.

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » June 30th, 2013, 3:40 pm

This: "Would be better to auto forfeit after missing 3 rounds in my opinion"

The computer usually won't let me move until the animation for both parties’ moves has stopped. With Whirlwind and other moves that is a problem and sometime I don't even get a move off meaning the other guy gets a free move or two.

Iskren
Pet Score:1885
Realm:Kazzak-eu

Post by Iskren » July 1st, 2013, 4:32 am

In this case is an ass move ok but sometimes when i have 3 pets alive and enemy has like 1 i skip a turn a two just trying to say them its may be time to surrender already :)