Nocturnal Strike not ALWAYS hitting

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Andysocial
MVP
Pet Score:8489
BattleTag®:andysocial#1653
Realm:Arthas-us
Nocturnal Strike not ALWAYS hitting

Post by Andysocial » May 30th, 2013, 2:39 pm

I posted in bug report about this, am I thinking this wrong, I have had several times where my crow or raven will have a pet blinded and then they miss with Nocturnal strike an ability that will always hit when blinded and as a side note no other hit modifiers are in play. I have had this with chill and deep freeze also, am I wrong in my thinking or does this sound like a bug.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Re: Nocturnal Strike not ALWAYS hitting

Post by Tahsfenz » May 30th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Is the blindness from darkness? And are you fighting an elemental?

Andysocial
MVP

Post by Andysocial » May 30th, 2013, 3:08 pm

It is from darkness and not always elemental but most of the time I think it is, do they still have dodge built in.

Denverrunner
MVP
Pet Score:6503
BattleTag®:denverrunner#1152
Realm:Arathor-us

Post by Denverrunner » May 30th, 2013, 3:24 pm

I have had this happen too on humans and dragons. Nocturnal strike was not dodged, but missed the target. I submitted a bug report.

Yellowlab
Top Rater
Pet Score:5566
BattleTag®:Yellowlab#1493
Realm:Ner'zhul-us

Post by Yellowlab » May 30th, 2013, 3:35 pm

Andysocial wrote:It is from darkness and not always elemental but most of the time I think it is, do they still have dodge built in.
Elementals aren't effected by weather effects, therefore are never actually blinded, so this is why you are missing. Also, as far as other pets go, nocturnal strike still has a 10% chance to miss due to the darkness.

Andysocial
MVP

Post by Andysocial » May 30th, 2013, 4:44 pm

Yellowlab wrote:
Andysocial wrote:It is from darkness and not always elemental but most of the time I think it is, do they still have dodge built in.
Elementals aren't effected by weather effects, therefore are never actually blinded, so this is why you are missing. Also, as far as other pets go, nocturnal strike still has a 10% chance to miss due to the darkness.
I forgot about the elementals not being affected by weather but can you elaborate on the 10% to miss due to darkness. If darkness is there the chance becomes 100%.

Yellowlab
Top Rater
Pet Score:5566
BattleTag®:Yellowlab#1493
Realm:Ner'zhul-us

Post by Yellowlab » May 30th, 2013, 5:52 pm

I believe it's hit rate goes to 100% in darkness, but the 10% chance to miss from darkness still applies. I could be wrong though.

Finkployd
Pet Score:4153
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Finkployd » May 31st, 2013, 3:32 pm

Yellowlab wrote:I believe it's hit rate goes to 100% in darkness, but the 10% chance to miss from darkness still applies. I could be wrong though.
This is correct. Next time you set up the ability with darkness hover over it. They have updated hit chance to be shown live during the turn and you can see it is 90%.

Callena
Pet Score:9554
BattleTag®:callena#2723
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Callena » May 31st, 2013, 4:43 pm

How does darkness give a 10% chance to miss? I know it gives the 50% reduced healing but wasn't aware of any hit chance reduction - I thought that was from sandstorm?

I feel I am missing something here :)

Tahsfenz
Top Rater

Post by Tahsfenz » May 31st, 2013, 4:55 pm

Darkness does reduce hit by 10%. It's been like that as far as I know.

Andysocial
MVP

Post by Andysocial » May 31st, 2013, 8:15 pm

Well,
I am just glad I got a response over here, the WOW forums were no help and this forum was great.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater

Post by Tahsfenz » May 31st, 2013, 8:16 pm

Finkployd wrote:
Yellowlab wrote:I believe it's hit rate goes to 100% in darkness, but the 10% chance to miss from darkness still applies. I could be wrong though.
This is correct. Next time you set up the ability with darkness hover over it. They have updated hit chance to be shown live during the turn and you can see it is 90%.
I checked the nocturnal strike tooltip when darkness was up. It said 40% hit chance. Always hits when target is blinded. So it's either an inaccurate tooltip or can be considered a bug since always to me would = 100%

Andysocial
MVP

Post by Andysocial » May 31st, 2013, 11:47 pm

Tahsfenz wrote:
Finkployd wrote:
I checked the nocturnal strike tooltip when darkness was up. It said 40% hit chance. Always hits when target is blinded. So it's either an inaccurate tooltip or can be considered a bug since always to me would = 100%
It is so funny, I was just coming here to say the same thing, it would be similar to bleed followed by blood in the water always hit but unlike frost shock followed by deep freeze which has in the tool tip 100%. As the previous poster said this is either inaccurate or a bug, either way very annoying.

Andysocial
MVP

Post by Andysocial » June 1st, 2013, 6:59 pm

Feralsynapse wrote:As far as the 10% missing, I would actually think that is working as intended. As stated above, with the elemental. Using darkness via weather a 'convince' thing vs a non weather move causing the effect.

If a pet becomes 'blinded' be means other than weather, the chance to hit for strike should be 100%.
The elemental part is not in question, that we can all agree on. What is in question is the wording, if a pet is blinded by darkness and the tool tip for nocturnal strike said chance to hit becomes 100% if blinded then I could buy the 10% chance to miss due to darkness; however, the tooltip reads will ALWAYS hit if blinded and that is where the rubber meets the road. Always in my mind is a sure thing.