PVP Q&A from GPBL Season 2 Champion

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Scarydreams
Pet Score:2669
Realm:Bladefist-us
Re: PVP Q&A from GPBL Season 2 Champion

Post by Scarydreams » June 13th, 2013, 11:31 am

Maniack wrote:
Azrile wrote:What I hate about these posts.

I have like 85 pets currently at 25. I read another thread similar with a good team and strategy.. plus the two teams here.. is 9 total pets.. none of my 85 are those 9... lol
For my team 1, you would have to spend arround 5k to get both ghostly skull and enchanted broom. As of the Crow, you just gotta farm it.

For team 2, you would have to spend more gold, arround 15-20k, since Claw is a bit more expensive. As of Flayer and Basilisk, you can find em in the wild. :)
The Ghostly Skull can be found in Dal for like 35 Gold I think.

Maniack
Pet Score:1708
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Maniack » June 13th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Scarydreams wrote:
Maniack wrote:
Azrile wrote:What I hate about these posts.

I have like 85 pets currently at 25. I read another thread similar with a good team and strategy.. plus the two teams here.. is 9 total pets.. none of my 85 are those 9... lol
For my team 1, you would have to spend arround 5k to get both ghostly skull and enchanted broom. As of the Crow, you just gotta farm it.

For team 2, you would have to spend more gold, arround 15-20k, since Claw is a bit more expensive. As of Flayer and Basilisk, you can find em in the wild. :)
The Ghostly Skull can be found in Dal for like 35 Gold I think.
You are right! but it is not rare, you have to farm or buy a stone to upgrade it :D

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » June 13th, 2013, 10:51 pm

Maniack wrote:
Tahsfenz wrote:Finally gave team 1 a try. Now keep in mind I never did random battles before, and I started 4-1. At times I swapped the crow for an idol depending on teams I was seeing, but still nice success
Hi, IMO i would not use idol instead of crow S/S. You see, crow's purpose is to finish off with speed and big hits before unholy ascension buff goes away, and if you use an idol, you most likely will end up losing 1 turn of a nice 25% extra damage, plus, if you use sandstorm, you will diminish your own buff.

I guess i'd have to try your setup to know if it works as intended but i would have to level up an idol, since i have never used it, i just dont like it. :P
My wife thinks I'm obsessed with pet PvP now :lol:

The idol is a tank, to say the least. I've been using my core two of a Val'kyr now instead of the skull. Just enjoy the pet more. I use the broom and love it here. I'm learning to adjust to the situation and get a kick out of seeing someone forfeit 4 times in a row so he doesn't have to face me.

I've used a few pets as my third, but the raven and idol get the most work out and I see similar success. One is bursts of quick damage, the other is slow and steady. At one point I was seeing lots of elementals, so I used a strider too.

All that said, I just picked up my crawling claw finally and would be interested I testing him out in PvP. I am also curious on a molten hatchling in PvP. I just love the pet.

one pet I'm having trouble with is when a S/S darkmoon rabbit shows his face. I end up having to switch to the idol to meditate the damage or use the broom to burst it down. But I have trouble with an undead starting.

Khayah
Pet Score:2454
Realm:Aegwynn-eu

Post by Khayah » June 14th, 2013, 12:23 pm

I just invested 15k in a crawling claw to start team 2 and would like to ask what you think of a spring rabbit with dodge and burrow instead of flayer youngling (I have a flayer in 5/15 but its to ugly^^)

Maniack
Pet Score:1708
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Maniack » June 14th, 2013, 3:52 pm

Khayah wrote:I just invested 15k in a crawling claw to start team 2 and would like to ask what you think of a spring rabbit with dodge and burrow instead of flayer youngling (I have a flayer in 5/15 but its to ugly^^)
Flayer Youngling must be S/S means 325 speed, and yeah, i would not trade it for a rabbit :P flayer can heal itself from human passive, and deflection is way better than dodge cos it goes before anything else, and the kick from flayer is really nice too, gives u extra heal, time, hits etc...
So, no, stay with Flayer. :D
Good luck

Khayah
Pet Score:2454
Realm:Aegwynn-eu

Post by Khayah » June 14th, 2013, 10:41 pm

Thanks for your help, very appreciated.

Both are fun, i played several matches with bunny and several with flayer. My bunny destroyed a few lightning teams on its own^^ but both combinations are kind of screwed up against a heal + sandstorm team somehow, i played 2 matches each going 71 rounds against two different opponents using anub idol + crawdad + xy, kind of awful and definitively not fun at all although i even managed to win one match. I Think i will skip them in future.

Ishad
Pet Score:2745
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ishad » June 15th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Using Blighthawk H/P + Hopling S/S + Enchanted Broom S/S. 9 of 10 wins, only problem - anubisath idols. Going to try Crow instead of hawk, should be able to handle them idols as well.

Vilgiforts
Pet Score:696
Realm:Howling Fjord-eu

Post by Vilgiforts » June 17th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Greetings Maniack!
Thank you for an awesome guide. I tried the first team and found it awesome and very strong, but i was much more interested by the second team, I really liked its concept. If you don't mind, I would like to ask you several questions about some problems I encountered.
First: What do you do when the enemy team has several or even 1 325+ speed pets? They are the biggest problem for me, since my team's damage just disappears. If it is only 1 pet, I can win, trying to damage it with the Claw, but if there are two of them, or they try to keep this pet away from me while the Claw is still alive, i can't do anything. My Claw tries to deal as much damage to this speed pets as possible, and naturally dies pretty soon, and then... I can't damage them, because Flayer and Basilisk need speed advantage, Kick becomes useless and well, I lose=) How do you conter them? And how do you handle your Claw? Should it stay on the sidelines until the dangerous pet is released, so it can kill it?
Second: The second problem is Sandstorm and Armor skills which reduce the dmg from each attack by 70 for several turns... First time i encountered this problem, I trashed the enemy team, until he had only 1 crab with 2/3 health, and I had basilisk and flayer at full health and... he just tanked me and even had a chance to win... Every attack dealed only 100-180 dmg because of the shield and he just healed it, until i finally managed to control him and attack with his shield down. So, what is your strategy in this case? If he uses sandstorm, and keeps the caster away he can finish my claw faster then i can kill the caster and then gg, no dmg...=(
Ah, and also, how do you conter this 2-3 direhorn runts teams?=( I still haven't beaten even one team with 2+ of these guys=(
Hope you will give me some tips, since I really like this team! Thanks!

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » July 16th, 2013, 2:27 am

I finally got my claw and tried team 2. I find the Scalded Basilisk Hatchling under performing, which probably means I don't play him correctly. How am I supposed to use him? The Crystal Prison has a long cooldown, Feign Death has a terrible long cooldown. And Thrash doesn't do that much damage.

In addition to that, nearly every team I fight uses at least one mechanical which is strong against the basilisk and has so much health that the team has a problem taking it down.

How would you play this team against e.g. one of these Minefield/Sticky Grenade teams? They have a lot of burst and, as far as I know, we can't prevent the damage from the minefield. Or against the turret teams.