PVP Q&A from GPBL Season 2 Champion

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Maniack
Pet Score:1708
Realm:Tichondrius-us
Re: PVP Q&A from GPBL Season 2 Champion

Post by Maniack » June 2nd, 2013, 11:14 am

Khayah wrote:Giving your first suggestion a try i encountered hard problems to defeat teams using Ion Cannon or Surge of Power as finisher. Tarecgosa is quite common and Tranq Yeti on the rise due to Lightning. people use lightning in the beginning, switch another pet and use the yeti as last pet as a second lightning + ion cannon is devastating. Any chance to counter that?
Hello, Tranquil Mechanical Yeti In its rare form is 273 speed, means you can actually open with your broom and swap him off to distrupt its first move or just let him Ion cannon your broom, you will not take more than 40% of your total health so no matter how hard yeti hits, it wont kill ya. :)
This is one of the situations on which you have to stop from your normal step by step and be a little creative in this.
Anticipating your opponent and then continue with your plan :)

If you use batter and wind up with their Call lightning and your unholy ascension is upon their team already, then you will really hurt them, it shouldnt be much of a problem.

Also your crow or raven MUST be s/s, knowing that at some point at the end you will be below 50% hp you still want to be faster than your opponent.

Hope this helps

Chasmyr9922
Pet Score:2824
Realm:Arathor-us

Post by Chasmyr9922 » June 3rd, 2013, 12:26 am

@Maniack

Thank you so much for posting your teams. I leveled an Enchanted Broom, Crow, and a Gilnean Raven. Somewhere in there I forgot to level my ghostly skull to 25 :oops: . However I used the above combo and had a much higher success rate. I was at maybe 15% win rate but I was closer to 50 yo 65% tonight on my server. I also experimented swapping in a Tolai Hare pup and a scourged whelping as well.

Jimbodan
Pet Score:8469
BattleTag®:jimbodan#1642
Realm:Moonrunner-us

Post by Jimbodan » June 3rd, 2013, 6:24 am

I've been having lots of problems against teams that deal damage to all my pets (Lil Rag with Magma Wave, Lil XT with Tantrum, Pets with Arcane Explosion, ETC...) My Skull can keep up with the damage just fine, but after a little bit my back row is almost dead.

Maniack

Post by Maniack » June 3rd, 2013, 10:39 am

Jimbodan wrote:I've been having lots of problems against teams that deal damage to all my pets (Lil Rag with Magma Wave, Lil XT with Tantrum, Pets with Arcane Explosion, ETC...) My Skull can keep up with the damage just fine, but after a little bit my back row is almost dead.
Try either of the following:

Option 1 Open with ghostly skull and do Ghostly bite, then switch to broom and do sweep.

Option 2 Open with Broom, do wind-up, tank first aoe, then do sweep. Then if opponent switches back to original pet, hit it with wind up, if not, then go back to skull and proceed with original plan.

Hope it helps :D

Maniack

Post by Maniack » June 3rd, 2013, 10:47 am

Chasmyr9922 wrote:@Maniack

Thank you so much for posting your teams. I leveled an Enchanted Broom, Crow, and a Gilnean Raven. Somewhere in there I forgot to level my ghostly skull to 25 :oops: . However I used the above combo and had a much higher success rate. I was at maybe 15% win rate but I was closer to 50 yo 65% tonight on my server. I also experimented swapping in a Tolai Hare pup and a scourged whelping as well.
I'm happy to help, and glad to hear it is working for you!
However, Ghostly Skull is a very important, if not vital component of this team, you need to get off Unholy ascension upon enemy team for this team to maximize the damage and to fulfill the purpose of this team ;)

Jimbodan

Post by Jimbodan » June 3rd, 2013, 5:37 pm

Maniack wrote:
Jimbodan wrote:I've been having lots of problems against teams that deal damage to all my pets (Lil Rag with Magma Wave, Lil XT with Tantrum, Pets with Arcane Explosion, ETC...) My Skull can keep up with the damage just fine, but after a little bit my back row is almost dead.
Try either of the following:

Option 1 Open with ghostly skull and do Ghostly bite, then switch to broom and do sweep.

Option 2 Open with Broom, do wind-up, tank first aoe, then do sweep. Then if opponent switches back to original pet, hit it with wind up, if not, then go back to skull and proceed with original plan.

Hope it helps :D
Thanks! I'll give it a try, although usually it's not just one pet. Most of the time it's a whole team set up this way where all 3 pets on the other team can damage my back row.

Post by Guest » June 4th, 2013, 12:25 am

I'm not one to copy other people, I like doing my own thing ... but your second group just makes me giggle. (Either went up against you or someone who read this post yesterday and even though I died I had to laugh at the strategy) Afraid I don't know all the in and outs of PVP pet battle yet so my win record with said group isn't as good as yours. But messing with people's plans is just funny to me. Thanks for posting! Only 84 wins to go and then I can go back to doing other things. ~ K

Maniack

Post by Maniack » June 4th, 2013, 9:40 am

Koori wrote:I'm not one to copy other people, I like doing my own thing ... but your second group just makes me giggle. (Either went up against you or someone who read this post yesterday and even though I died I had to laugh at the strategy) Afraid I don't know all the in and outs of PVP pet battle yet so my win record with said group isn't as good as yours. But messing with people's plans is just funny to me. Thanks for posting! Only 84 wins to go and then I can go back to doing other things. ~ K
Probably someone read this, because i didnt play yesterday, anyhow, the second's team strategy is pretty hard to beat, it has way to much distruption, in fact, 5/9 teams abilities are distruption abilities :)
It is a very fun team to play.

Jimbodan

Post by Jimbodan » June 5th, 2013, 6:11 am

For team 2, which breed do you use for your Flayer and Basilisk?

Maniack

Post by Maniack » June 5th, 2013, 10:28 am

Jimbodan wrote:For team 2, which breed do you use for your Flayer and Basilisk?
Flayer is S/S and Basilisk is H/S

Grifter
Pet Score:2869
Realm:Blackhand-eu

Post by Grifter » June 6th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Hi Maniack, I just wanted to say thank you for your tips. I was realy afraid of the pet battle PvP, since I'm not the biggest PvP fan out there. In the last few days I aquired and leveled your "Team 1" and did Pet PvP for the very first time today. I just won 9 out of my first 10 fights ever (the 1 battle I lost, I lost due to a missed swap :? ). Unbelivable!

I had to change the tactics from time to time in reaction to my opponent and his team, but I must say your Team 1 is very versatile. Needless to say I like it. :D Now I just need to get my hands on a claw (I hate archeologie and am a poor sob :lol: ) and the rest of Team 2. :mrgreen:

Maniack

Post by Maniack » June 6th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Grifter wrote:Hi Maniack, I just wanted to say thank you for your tips. I was realy afraid of the pet battle PvP, since I'm not the biggest PvP fan out there. In the last few days I aquired and leveled your "Team 1" and did Pet PvP for the very first time today. I just won 9 out of my first 10 fights ever (the 1 battle I lost, I lost due to a missed swap :? ). Unbelivable!

I had to change the tactics from time to time in reaction to my opponent and his team, but I must say your Team 1 is very versatile. Needless to say I like it. :D Now I just need to get my hands on a claw (I hate archeologie and am a poor sob :lol: ) and the rest of Team 2. :mrgreen:
Wow! I'm very happy to hear about your success and experience!
Reacting and preventing is what will get you to be a successful pvper :) Seems to me like you already are.

If you liked "team 1", you're gonna love "team 2", it is very fun to play.

Have a great day,

Khayah
Pet Score:2454
Realm:Aegwynn-eu

Post by Khayah » June 11th, 2013, 5:17 pm

What would you say to an unborn valkyre in 3/13 instead of skull as unholy ascension pet?

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » June 12th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Finally gave team 1 a try. Now keep in mind I never did random battles before, and I started 4-1. At times I swapped the crow for an idol depending on teams I was seeing, but still nice success

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » June 12th, 2013, 11:03 pm

What I hate about these posts.

I have like 85 pets currently at 25. I read another thread similar with a good team and strategy.. plus the two teams here.. is 9 total pets.. none of my 85 are those 9... lol

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » June 13th, 2013, 2:52 am

Khayah wrote:What would you say to an unborn valkyre in 3/13 instead of skull as unholy ascension pet?
The function of the skull is to kill the first enemy and put unholy ascension up. Most of the time you can finish your enemy with ghostly bite in your UD extra turn. That starts the asymmetry of 2 vs 2 plus 25% more damage taken, which is the core of the team.

If you like to replace the skull (which performs excellent) with something else you have to ask if the replacement is able to put up unholy ascension and finish the first pet. When you use unholy ascension in your last regular turn you get a buffed ghostly bite which hits like a truck and most of the times finishes the enemys first pet. The Val'kyr could put up a buffed CoD but you don't want the pet to die in 5 rounds, you want it to die now.

In my opinion, the Val'kyr would be the weaker option for this team.

Maniack

Post by Maniack » June 13th, 2013, 10:21 am

Tahsfenz wrote:Finally gave team 1 a try. Now keep in mind I never did random battles before, and I started 4-1. At times I swapped the crow for an idol depending on teams I was seeing, but still nice success
Hi, IMO i would not use idol instead of crow S/S. You see, crow's purpose is to finish off with speed and big hits before unholy ascension buff goes away, and if you use an idol, you most likely will end up losing 1 turn of a nice 25% extra damage, plus, if you use sandstorm, you will diminish your own buff.

I guess i'd have to try your setup to know if it works as intended but i would have to level up an idol, since i have never used it, i just dont like it. :P

Maniack

Post by Maniack » June 13th, 2013, 10:23 am

Kring wrote:
Khayah wrote:What would you say to an unborn valkyre in 3/13 instead of skull as unholy ascension pet?
The function of the skull is to kill the first enemy and put unholy ascension up. Most of the time you can finish your enemy with ghostly bite in your UD extra turn. That starts the asymmetry of 2 vs 2 plus 25% more damage taken, which is the core of the team.

If you like to replace the skull (which performs excellent) with something else you have to ask if the replacement is able to put up unholy ascension and finish the first pet. When you use unholy ascension in your last regular turn you get a buffed ghostly bite which hits like a truck and most of the times finishes the enemys first pet. The Val'kyr could put up a buffed CoD but you don't want the pet to die in 5 rounds, you want it to die now.

In my opinion, the Val'kyr would be the weaker option for this team.
Kring is totally right about this, there is no better way to explain it :)

Maniack

Post by Maniack » June 13th, 2013, 10:26 am

Azrile wrote:What I hate about these posts.

I have like 85 pets currently at 25. I read another thread similar with a good team and strategy.. plus the two teams here.. is 9 total pets.. none of my 85 are those 9... lol
For my team 1, you would have to spend arround 5k to get both ghostly skull and enchanted broom. As of the Crow, you just gotta farm it.

For team 2, you would have to spend more gold, arround 15-20k, since Claw is a bit more expensive. As of Flayer and Basilisk, you can find em in the wild. :)

Scarydreams
Pet Score:2669
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Scarydreams » June 13th, 2013, 11:28 am

I just want to take a sec and thank you for making this guide for us. I have been wanting to to do the new PVP Pet battle quest but was unsure of myself. Right now I only have a handful of level 25 pets and they are.
1. Bandicoon Rare
2. Dancing Water Skimmer Rare
3. Fel Flame Rare
4. Fire Beetle Rare
5. Flayer Youngling Uncommon
6. Kun-Lai Runt Uncommon
7. Lil' Tarecgosa Rare
8. Oasis Moth Rare
9. Water Waveling Rare
10. Yellow - Bellied Bullfrog Rare

I do have several up and coming pets my problem is I love them all so it makes leveling them a chore I have been trying to stick with just a few a power level them to 25 and that has been going good the last few days.
Im not real sure which of the above I will use for my team untill I get more level 25 pets I guess trial and error will help me decide.
Thanks again for the post and if anyone has any thoughts to what might make a good team with what I have please feal free to reply.