Retitled: Criticism >:(

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Catalytic
Pet Score:4337
BattleTag®:Lyrics#1788
Realm:Greymane-us
Re: Retitled: Criticism >:(

Post by Catalytic » May 28th, 2013, 12:03 pm

GilroyKilroy wrote:
Catalytic wrote:What pet is from PvP battles?
Stunted Direhorn
Blah, thanks much, guess I'll have to get serious about PvP battling /wrists.

Edonae
Pet Score:8952
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Edonae » June 13th, 2013, 8:56 am

Tiggindy wrote:What is the issue are the mechanics gimmicks that made these things a challenge back in the day that prevent reasonable solo now. The chess event isn't too bad, but it's annoying. The first fight in BWL is a prime example of this. It blocks solo peeps from progressing in BWL to get at the other pets there. The fight vs Vashj is at least as annoying as the BWL fight, but at least this is at the end of the raid rather than the start.

I haven't tried Vashj yet, but both Chess and the BWL fight are both quite easy to solo. For Chess, just take the "queen" and run around the board pelting the King, staying out of range of things hitting you. Fairly safe. Just might want to move the king when Medivh cheats.

For Broodlord, start the event, kill every egg you can before mobs start spawning. Kill about 4 more, then release the channel. Kill what's hitting you, then start the channel again. Kill ~4 eggs, release. Lather, rinse, repeat. I get it on the first try every time.

Only annoying one for me is the Twin Emps, because you have to remember to hit the "other" one from who you're fighting at least once between a switch and you killing them. Gotten a lot easier with better gear now, though.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » June 14th, 2013, 9:58 am

Before pet battles, I was one of the collectors who had to catch them all, and prioritised them highly. Back then I was in a minority, now I feel there's a groundswell of people enjoying pet colelcting who maybe only dabbled, or completely weren't bothered before.

This is reflected in the AH market, and because of this, I've found myself approaching pet collecting differently. I still farm the pets as much as before, but now I'm more likely to sell the first ones I get, as the price is artificially high, then a few weeks down the line, I'll buy these pets back for a much lower price. The only pets I keep are those I know I'll level to battle with.

Anyone else do this?

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » June 14th, 2013, 11:02 am

Another point to consider:
The pet game is growing too rapidly IMO. A new collector might look at the vast mountain to climb to get near max #'s of pets and just not bother!

I started collecting this past Dec. and it's taken a concerted effort and a decent hunk of time and focus to collect, level and battle my way up the ladder. Some might argue that this is how real rewards come and I get it. What some of you are saying here (and in the hardest pet to get post) - it's sometimes just a boring slog! Check out the comments from archy players who could hand draw a map of Uldum for all the solves they've done there in hopes of a Claw... or ask fishers who have nightmares of orange carp recurring ...

The pet game is getting vast and seems bound for another grand chapter in 5.4 with an Island and tourny and all

I'm just wondering what a brand new player would think and what will be done (by Blizzard or by us in the pet loving community) to help them feel like it wont be an impossible task for them to eventually 'swim with the others' and be competitive and knowledgeable in this branch of WoW.

Ebil
Pet Score:11957
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Ebil » June 14th, 2013, 12:37 pm

I'm just wondering what a brand new player would think and what will be done (by Blizzard or by us in the pet loving community) to help them feel like it wont be an impossible task for them to eventually 'swim with the others' and be competitive and knowledgeable in this branch of WoW.
I think pet collecting is just like any other part of the game, which means it is more of a time investment then anything else.

The first thing I recommend to people just starting out is to start small, focus on one part at a time. Don't come into collecting pets thinking of knocking out World Safari in three days. Work on doing the smaller achievements like Family Reunion or Building a team. That way there is a sense of progress and achieving goals while still working on the big World Safari achievement.

But the most important thing for new players is to find people of a like mind. They will help and support you in the craziness that loving pets is. As for the pet loving community the only thing we can do is continue to support people new to pet collecting/ battles......or we could make an Elistist Jerks for Pets 8-)

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » June 16th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Anasa wrote:I guess my question is: How do you want to be able to get pets? You don't like the (soloable) old raids.
Lady Vash wants a word with you....