5.3 changes ridiculous Blizz overkill

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Re: 5.3 changes ridiculous Blizz overkill

Post by Quintessence » May 26th, 2013, 9:26 am

Luciandk wrote:Try a H/P Menagerie Custodian instead of a Darkmoon Tonk. I find it performs much better. Especially on a hard hitter like gorespine. Being able to go first with your powermoves is a godsend thanks to Overtune.

Menagerie Custodian have a similar loadout to Darkmoon Tonk, sharing the two power moves Shock and Awe, and Ion Cannon. But also having a better stat spread. More points in attack, less points wasted in speed. And yet with Overtune you will outspeed all the beasts of fable, which is what makes the MC dramatically pull ahead.
Absolutely! I saw your other post on the Custodian and it inspired me to start leveling it. I got lucky and actually have a H/P! Once it's max level, I'll definitely sit my tonk for a bit to try it out. :D
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Finkployd
Pet Score:4153
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Finkployd » May 26th, 2013, 9:44 am

Pacer wrote:After the patch all my saved teams from the addon was gone and I had to come up with new teams. Put together 3 teams, one for each BoF type and I one shot them all so I dont see what the big deal is.
I did the same thing. Made 3 teams and one shot all the beasts. Just choose appropriate counters with good movesets

Casdon
Pet Score:2189
Realm:Misha-us

Post by Casdon » May 26th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Finkployd wrote:
Pacer wrote:After the patch all my saved teams from the addon was gone and I had to come up with new teams. Put together 3 teams, one for each BoF type and I one shot them all so I dont see what the big deal is.
I did the same thing. Made 3 teams and one shot all the beasts. Just choose appropriate counters with good movesets

That is great, but would you mind posting your teams, to help the rest of us who are struggling. It took me about 25 tries to kill Dos-Ryga, until I read a few posts and leveled my miniwing

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » May 26th, 2013, 3:45 pm

I didn't have a really terrible time with the new beasts of fable, but I certainly won't be doing them again since I finished the Longest Day achievement. I'm really glad I finished upgrading all my pets to rare before 5.3.
Image Image

Ultraclad
Pet Score:3795
BattleTag®:ften#1550
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Ultraclad » May 26th, 2013, 4:49 pm

I'm having a hell of a time with Lucky Yi atm. Seems I just can't time out my bursted Ion Cannon from the Thanksgiving Thunder Cleave Team(Turkey/Sunreaver Sentry/Menagerie Custodian) to kill him before he heals twice.

I am thinking of trying to use the mortal strike on my Death Talon Whelpguard in order to reduce it, but then I'd lose either the thunderstorm or +100% damage debuff on him in order to buff up the Ion cannon.

Any ideas? Oh and to note, I have zero humanoids at level 25. I would have to catch a rare runt and level it if I want to go that route.

EDIT: Got it done, just had to get another thunderstorm out and then burn him a bit until he healed and 1x Overtune and 1x Ion Cannon. Longest Day done!

Finkployd
Pet Score:4153
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Finkployd » May 26th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Casdon wrote:That is great, but would you mind posting your teams, to help the rest of us who are struggling. It took me about 25 tries to kill Dos-Ryga, until I read a few posts and leveled my miniwing
Sure. I prefer power breeds for most pets on these teams

for aquatic BoF-
Crow S/S (the only one where breed might be important)
alpha strike/call darkness/Murder (against pets that can heal I use nocturnal strike)
Brilliant Kaliri P/S
Quills/shriek/Nocturnal strike(if used with the murder debuff still up it WRECKS)
Imperial Eagle Chick P/P
Slicing wind/adrenaline rush/lift-off

for beast BoF-
Warbot P/P
Missle/Toxic Smoke/Launch Rocket
Son of Animus P/P
Metal Fist/Siphone Anima/Extra Plating
I actually went with Lil' Ragnaros on this team because it just worked but you can swap him for another mech if you want
Sulfuras Smash/Conflagurate/Flamethrower

for critter BoF-
Alpine Foxling P/B (anything with this moveset should work)
Bite/Howl/Leap
Stunted ShardhornP/P
Smash/Horn Attack/Trumpet Strike
Kun-lai Runt P/P
Thrash/Frost Shock/Deep Freeze

Raptorbait

Post by Raptorbait » May 27th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Phraide wrote:Team :
1: Unborn Val'kyr (1,2,2)
2: Pandaren water spirit (1,2,2)
3: Chrominius (1,1,2)

Round 1: Unholy Ascension
Your Unborn Val'kyr resurrects
Round 2: Curse of Doom
Your Unborn Val'kyr dies
Switch to Pandaren water spirit
Round 3: Geyser
Round 4: Whirlpool
Round 5: Switch to Chrominius
Round 6: Howl
At the end of this turn, Curse of Doom, Geyser and Whirlpool detonate at the same time with a +125% boost (25% from Unholy Ascension and 100% from Howl). The enemy takes a truckload of damage and is stunned.
Round 7: Surge of Power if the enemy is still alive
This worked nicely on Lucky Yi for me (even tho my PWS was only 16 and could only do one round with whirlpool)...thanks!

Catalytic
Pet Score:4337
BattleTag®:Lyrics#1788
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Catalytic » May 28th, 2013, 7:53 am

Lucky Yi is still doable in 3-4 rounds with the Zandalari Kneebiter, with some RNG, of course. The first day my ZK died and I finished Yi off with my Flayer Youngling. The 2nd day and since then, Yi dies in 3 rounds. Black claw, Hunting Party, Bloodfang...except I never get to use Bloodfang, so I have to bandage after every fight. (I never used the Legendaries to level characters, because the pet xp was so low, but I needed a few Lesser Charms on one of my alts the other day, so I battled him a few times in a row to get them. Incidentally, before when I fought the Legendaries on an alt, I would get 100+k xp for the toon, now I only get like 44k, so other than farming Charms, it isn't worth it to battle them over and over.)

The aquatic Legendaries, I'm using a full team of Moths. Two are H/P, one is P/S. Alpha Strike, Cocoon Strike, Moth Dust. Usually it works well, sometimes the one in Townlong is an ass. Most of the time, I can *almost* solo them with the P/S Moth, and have to switch to one of the H/Ps to finish them off.

Nitun is, and always has been for me, a PITA. My team for him used to be KunLai Runt and 2 Flayer Younglings. I use the debuff to add XX to every hit fromt he Runt, and then Rampage on all of them. I try to Deflect anytime he has that super one-shot I'm gonna kill you debuff. I tried to use the Zand. Kneebiter, and wasn't impressed, so I'm going back to my KLR/FY/FY team for him.

Kawi the Gorger has RNG, but the Anklebiter can solo him sometimes. Other time, Kawi kills him off quickly, but I haven't had trouble finishing him with my Flayers.

For the beasts, with the exception of the DW one (he has that shield he puts on that does dmg to you with every hit) I use Clockwork Gnome, Built Turrets and the punch, never time to repair. I drop as many turrets as I can, use the punch in between. Darkmoon Tonk is 2nd, I start with the Stun hit in the middle slot, Rocket til I think I'm going to die, then I use the hard hitter in the 3rd spot. (Sorry, half asleep and I can't remember what some of them are called) Darkmoon Zepplin next, Bombing Run, then Decoy, then Rocket til dead. For the DW guy, I start with the Tonk, then Zepplin, and then if I need him, I have XT in my 3rd slot, with his bombling, repair, and Zap.

Draconigena
Top Rater
Pet Score:9001
Realm:Turalyon-eu

Post by Draconigena » May 31st, 2013, 3:44 am

I found the most trouble with Xi’a, and more perticular the shield-pump combo

He can keep his shield up 100% of the time, since the CD is shorter than the duration.
This is bad design to me but whatever.
You can only defeat this pet because his AI is bad:
If he would just cast shield – pump x 4, he would basically kill you without standing a chance.
We are lucky he casts this tidal wave so often.

Last reset I was tring out one of the glowflies. What a bad mistake that was: I got hits in of 7-8 HP on slicing winds.

Slicing winds hit for 148 per attack (HP/speed breed on my pet), or 148*1.5 = 222 HP on a weak defense vs flying pet, which Xi’a is.

I have 2 possibilities:
If the damage reduction happens before the shield:
222*50% reduction = 111
111 – 152 shield = 0

If the damage reduction happens after the shield:
222 – 152 shield = 70
70 *50% reduction = 35

The second possibility hits consistently for 35 HP or more(if crit) so since I only got hits in of 7-8 HP, I tend to believe that it is possibility 1 that happens, and that I get hits in if the attacks crit.

So the basic strategy against this pet is to have hard hitting abilities, optimally combined with strong defense and/or heals.
I swaped out slcing winds for the beast abilities, and replace flying pets with hard hitting magic pets.

Lexy
Top Rater
Pet Score:9286
BattleTag®:Kat#1332
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Lexy » July 8th, 2013, 10:45 pm

I was able to kill Kafi with just one Pet, my Lil XT. I put up the Boombot, Heartbroken ... zap zap zap. Dead :)