Pet Exclusions?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
NoxCrucifix
Top Rater
Pet Score:7397
Realm:Alleria-us
Pet Exclusions?

Post by NoxCrucifix » December 7th, 2011, 5:31 pm

As far as I know (unless I missed some announcement) Blizzard originally stated that most but not all pets would be eligible for pet battles. So, which ones do we think might not make the cut? Or, alternately, which ones would you personally choose not to fight?

For me, I think they might exclude the balloon pets and maybe the broom, and most likely the squires and guild heralds. Personally I'm hoping they DO let us use the silly balloons and the broom and whatnot...it would be too fun! I will probably not fight any of the humanoid pets, like the oracle and wolvar orphans, just because they seem like children to me.

Jorth
Top Rater
Pet Score:12163
Realm:Area 52-us

Re: Pet Exclusions?

Post by Jorth » December 7th, 2011, 8:18 pm

I don't think Cockroach will be able to fight... although I want it to, I don't think it'll make it... and balloons... no balloons :lol:

Monekop
Top Rater
Pet Score:13159
BattleTag®:MonekopSilk#2526
Realm:Shadowsong-eu

Post by Monekop » December 8th, 2011, 5:26 am

I would be surprised if any inanimate object made it into the battlegroups but i would very much like to see it happen. there should be no excludsions if they are "smart" enough to follow you while flying 1km in the air on a dragon

Moritach
MVP
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Moritach » December 8th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Well, the balloons and kites don't follow you...

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » December 8th, 2011, 4:14 pm

I plan on using my Dragon Kite! :)
Mingyao on Madoran

Dirtyshadow

Post by Dirtyshadow » December 9th, 2011, 1:25 am

I wonder if the Squires and Heralds and Xmas Helpers would be exempt... seems unfair to have children and men fight pets.

Also what happens to the pets that normally interact... will Rocket Bots one shot each other, will the Creepy Crate eat all contenders, will Stinky scare away any and all black cats, does your opponent need to drink to fight your Pint Sized Pink Elekk, Grunty vs Zergling... who will win ?

Ritsuka
Pet Score:2137
Realm:Thorium Brotherhood-us

Post by Ritsuka » December 15th, 2011, 3:27 pm

I expect they'll sadly exclude balloons, and probably kites. That's sad, Dragon Kite would be an amazing contender! It's so huge and has all these interesting articulation points, I just think it would be so fun to watch battle. It's already pretty impressive just standing still.

On another note, I wouldn't be shocked if they disallowed "out of game acquired pets". That would take murlocs out! As Murkimus would obviously dominate all other pets without question, perhaps it's in the interest of fairness. XD

I also say this because for some reason I was under the impression different pet types will have different strengths, naturally implying rare ones would be stronger? And the rarest are all out of game additions. I'd like to see them have the same base stats across the board, and have them stay usable.

I don't think I'd want to let my little Gorloc adoptee Roo fight. I'm supposed to protect him!

My gaggle of blonde human men, well, they would just look silly fighting cats and sentient crates and stuff. They're the only ones I would expect to be disallowed, where I wouldn't be particularly sad about it. You can't even keep the adult ones out as real companions after all.

Twilight
Top Rater
Pet Score:1404
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Twilight » December 29th, 2011, 10:38 pm

They'll have to exclude the poor Elwyn sheep, unless they remove the wolf that comes to eat it.

Quil2
Pet Score:3642
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Quil2 » December 30th, 2011, 10:56 pm

I plan to have my campfire ready for anyone who plays a turkey against me!

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » January 19th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Maybe they'll just exclude some of the rarest pets, so they don't have to figure out particulars for something the vast majority of people don't have. (It would be beneath those pets, anyway, they expect someone else to do their bidding!) And, yeah, they'd have to exclude anything with a 4 hour lock out or some such.. Well, we'll see. Not convinced I'll like this..
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

RallyC

Post by RallyC » January 27th, 2012, 3:57 am

Seeing as how they changed how the Winter Veil pets work this year I doubt they'll be able to battle. After all, all one would have to do is get searing scorchling close to tiny snowman and the poor little guy would melt. Actually, scratch that, all the player would have to do is summon the snowman on any day that wasn't Winter Veil and he'd be gone :( .

Also all the object pets would probably be out. I'm sorry, I just can't see a balloon being much a threat to anything.

Likely they'll pick pet that have clones to make move sets easier. Example, all cat cubs will have the same kind of attacks and only the looks for them will vary. Same goes for all the raptors I imagine (though the fossil one might be out due to its... unique situation).

It's hard to say as to how they'll handle TCG Loot cards and Blizz store pets... They are rare yes but adding them might give people an unfair advantage depending on their abilities. Still they are so rare, it seems more of a reward to have a unique pet that has a special moves set that's not shared by many. So it could go either way at this point I feel. What may likely happen is they won't add the store and card pets at first but, as this is likely something that'll become somewhat popular in game, as time passes and people start trading pets in game and buying them on the auction house pets that don't fight will likely be over looked and, if they require any grinding to obtain at all or require actual money to obtain, will likely be ignored all together.

Pinkymac
Pet Score:1398
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Pinkymac » February 9th, 2012, 11:19 am

I think the lanterns, lamps, and broom won't work either...

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » February 9th, 2012, 1:38 pm

You know, people keep saying this will be a Pokemon like game, but I've never played Pokemon so that doesn't mean anything to me. I understand the new system will be "turn based" but other than that I know nothing. Can someone who has actually played Pokemon give me some idea how those matches go?

Maleika

Post by Maleika » February 11th, 2012, 3:24 pm

As much as I would LOVE to use my Windrider Cub I kind of hope that its excluded along with the Gryphon Hatchling and any other Blizz store pet, CE pet or TCG pet. I dont want to see these pets later on the AH being sold after spending rl money on them to get them. (As nice as it would be to maybe stumble across a Panda Cub.)

If it took some special event/code to recieve the pet it should be, at the least, excluded from AH trade IMO. Otherwise, what was the point of buying a CE in the first place, or hunting down the rare TCG...

If its not obtainable in game it shouldnt be eligable for trade!

NoxCrucifix
Top Rater
Pet Score:7397
Realm:Alleria-us

Post by NoxCrucifix » February 17th, 2012, 2:30 am

Lysi wrote:You know, people keep saying this will be a Pokemon like game, but I've never played Pokemon so that doesn't mean anything to me. I understand the new system will be "turn based" but other than that I know nothing. Can someone who has actually played Pokemon give me some idea how those matches go?
It's been a long, long time since I played any Pokemon, but back in the good ol' days of the original Red and Blue versions, battles went something like this:

You encounter a wild Pokemon. You send one of your own to attack it. The battle is turn based, meaning first one pokemon attacks and then the next, back and forth one attack at a time until one Pokemon is defeated. If you wanted to catch that Pokemon and add it to your team, you had to beat on it enough to weaken it but not cause it to faint (ie kill it).

So if the new pet battle system is actually going to be anything like Pokemon, then we'll encounter wild critters out in Azeroth and fight them with one of our own pets until we can somehow conceivably catch it. It's really a simple system. I'm curious to see how true the comparison is.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » February 17th, 2012, 2:49 am

NoxCrucifix wrote: It's been a long, long time since I played any Pokemon, but back in the good ol' days of the original Red and Blue versions, battles went something like this:

You encounter a wild Pokemon. You send one of your own to attack it. The battle is turn based, meaning first one pokemon attacks and then the next, back and forth one attack at a time until one Pokemon is defeated. If you wanted to catch that Pokemon and add it to your team, you had to beat on it enough to weaken it but not cause it to faint (ie kill it).

So if the new pet battle system is actually going to be anything like Pokemon, then we'll encounter wild critters out in Azeroth and fight them with one of our own pets until we can somehow conceivably catch it. It's really a simple system. I'm curious to see how true the comparison is.
Thanks for the info! I did a little looking around and the screenshots here make it look pretty straight forward.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists- ... pet-battle

Well, we'll see. I just don't know if I want other pets beating up my bunnies! And Lil' Timmy's kitty, I mean he wouldn't want that.. XD

Rmd83

Post by Rmd83 » March 13th, 2012, 4:00 am

Oh come on guys, no stinker love? You know he'll be legit...stinking cloud will pwn! :P

Megabucks
Pet Score:13352
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Megabucks » March 27th, 2012, 6:46 am

I can't imagine the new darkmoon zepplin will be a battle pet.

I also have doubts about the spirit of summer and any of the humanoids. (Squires/Guild heralds/Panderan monk)

Nursie
Pet Score:4675
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us

Post by Nursie » March 27th, 2012, 6:56 am

Dirtyshadow wrote:I wonder if the Squires and Heralds and Xmas Helpers would be exempt... seems unfair to have children and men fight pets.

Also what happens to the pets that normally interact... will Rocket Bots one shot each other, will the Creepy Crate eat all contenders, will Stinky scare away any and all black cats, does your opponent need to drink to fight your Pint Sized Pink Elekk, Grunty vs Zergling... who will win ?
Image humaniods are one of the 10 types of pets that we are meant to be getting.

Mirage
Pet Score:2633
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Mirage » March 28th, 2012, 10:07 am

They have a humanoid category for pet battles, but, I feel like that will be things like the Fetish Shaman and the baby murlocs. Perhaps even Lil KT and such. Otherwise, I'd guess things like Squires, Heralds, and the like would not be included.