Day 1, All Rare, All Families

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Shalura
Pet Score:7233
Realm:Anvilmar-us
Day 1, All Rare, All Families

Post by Shalura » July 25th, 2012, 4:50 pm

I've been going over the list posted on the beta forums of current pets that will be made rare, and collating them as to pet families and/or availability of healing. Here is a list based on what I personally have collected. But most people with 100+ pets should have many of the same pets. I try to avoid TCG/Pet Store/Promotional pets except when there's no other choice. Feel free to add on any you think should be here.

Dragonkin
Any of the [color] whelplings, they will all be rare. The Emerald Whelpling has both good damage and good healing abilities.
Celestial Dragon, has good healing and damage.

Humanoid
Sadly, you have to go Pet Store or Promotional here.
Grunty, or any of the other promotional Murlocks like Deathy, Lurky, etc.
Moonkin Hatchling
Pandaren Monk

Flying
Brilliant Kaliri
Hyacinth Macaw
Firefly

Undead
Fossilized Hatchling
Frosty

Critter
Little Fawn, has great healing but weak damage
Nuts
Stinker

Magic
Disgusting Oozeling

Elemental
Elementium Geode
Pebble
Phoenix Hatchling
Dark Phoenix Hatchling

Beast
Panther Cub
Gundrak Hatchling
Lashtail Hatchling
Razzashi Hatchling

Aquatic
Magical Crawdad, healing and damage
Chuck/Muckbreath/Snarly/Toothy

Mechanical
Darkmoon Zepplin
Darkmoon Tonk
Last edited by Shalura on August 1st, 2012, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Re: Day 1, All Rare, All Families

Post by GormanGhaste » July 25th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Thanks, this is handy.
Mingyao on Madoran

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7459
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » August 1st, 2012, 2:09 pm

I'm not sure you're getting what the "rarity" means in regard to pet battles. I've been having fun (i.e. somewhat obsessed) with it. It's not how difficult it is to find/get the pet, it's the quality of the specific pet you get. The "drop", reward, and Blizzard-bought pets all seem to be standardized, that is, there's no variation in stats. For the "captured/capturable" pets, they have a range -- poor, common, uncommon, and rare. So you can find a poor quality Rat and a rare Rat, or a poor Jade Ooze and a rare Jade Ooze, etc., but there's only one set of stats for the Singing Sunflower, Guardian Cub, or Mechanical Squirrel.
For the families though it is a pain; the first dragonkin you can capture is the nether faerie dragon in Feralas, which isn't too bad, but the first humanoid you can capture is the Sporeling sprout, in Zangarmarsh, which is a level 18-ish pet that fights with two allies (so you need a good set of pets yourself to capture it).
The achievements, at least right now on beta, work from captured pets only, purchased/quest reward/looted pets don't seem to count. :(

--edited to adjust sporeling level (had it at 15, forgot that's the level of pets I sent after it not its level).
Last edited by Cropher on August 1st, 2012, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » August 1st, 2012, 4:34 pm

Cropher wrote:I'm not sure you're getting what the "rarity" means in regard to pet battles. I've been having fun (i.e. somewhat obsessed) with it. It's not how difficult it is to find/get the pet, it's the quality of the specific pet you get. The "drop", reward, and Blizzard-bought pets all seem to be standardized, that is, there's no variation in stats.
That is changing. Some of the non-wild pets are having their rarities upgraded.

Uraa
Pet Score:11608
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uraa » August 1st, 2012, 5:00 pm

Here is the original blue post for any who are looking for the list. As we're still in the beta, this is subject to change.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6080522555#1
Shalura wrote: Razzashi Hatchling (none of the other raptor hatchlings made the rare cut)
Just two spaces up from the Razzashi Hatchling is its cousin, the Gundrak Hatchling. :D Also, the Lashtail Hatchling is at the very bottom of the list.

Cropher
MVP

Post by Cropher » August 1st, 2012, 5:57 pm

Sunscorch wrote: That is changing. Some of the non-wild pets are having their rarities upgraded.
Sort of. What's happening is that the stats of the non-captured pets are being adjusted, so that they're more in line with their world-rarity. E.g., anyone can get a Guardian Cub easily, so they have stats like a "common" captured pet, but it's hard to get a Gundrak raptor hatchling or a Sprite darter hatchling, so they have stats like a "rare" captured pet. It's cool, it'll be interesting to see how it all ends up...

Shalura

Post by Shalura » August 1st, 2012, 11:15 pm

Cropher wrote: E.g., anyone can get a Guardian Cub easily, so they have stats like a "common" captured pet, but it's hard to get a Gundrak raptor hatchling or a Sprite darter hatchling, so they have stats like a "rare" captured pet. It's cool, it'll be interesting to see how it all ends up...
Guardian Cubs are on the "rare" list. All of the Pet Store & TCG pets are. All of the other vendor/quest/drop pets will be uncommon.

Shalura

Post by Shalura » August 1st, 2012, 11:19 pm

Cropher wrote: For the families though it is a pain; the first dragonkin you can capture is the nether faerie dragon in Feralas, which isn't too bad, but the first humanoid you can capture is the Sporeling sprout, in Zangarmarsh, which is a level 18-ish pet that fights with two allies (so you need a good set of pets yourself to capture it).
I'm not sure what the first dragon is, but Nether Faerie Dragon is Flying type. And the lowest level humanoid is the Qiraji Guardling in Silithus @ 16 (I think).

Cropher
MVP

Post by Cropher » August 2nd, 2012, 7:01 am

Hmm, hadn't realized the Quiraji guardling was humanoid. Have to go get one now... I wonder if "Summer" will officially be over by the time the xpac's released (or if they'll still be available for real). All the purchased pets as "rare" quality? That seems... unfortunate... to me. Ah well, I'm still spending far too much time on these (and getting too little sleep)... and this isn't even the "real" game yet... :)

Shalura

Post by Shalura » August 29th, 2012, 11:49 am

Yes, summer will be over by the time Mists is released. The only other wild humanoids are the Sporeling in Zangarmarsh, and the Flayer in Terokkar (not Hellfire).

Imthedci
Pet Score:2862
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Imthedci » August 30th, 2012, 11:44 am

I got my faerie dragon back when you had the alliance quest to raise it from an egg. I miss stuff like that...

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » August 31st, 2012, 10:11 pm

Imthedci wrote:I got my faerie dragon back when you had the alliance quest to raise it from an egg. I miss stuff like that...
Different dragon :P
Same model, but the wild version is spectral.