Fastest way to level a pet

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Raelbo
Top Rater
Pet Score:9182
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu
Re: Fastest way to level a pet

Post by Raelbo » May 15th, 2013, 5:47 am

I use Hyuna to level up my level 1 pets.

I normally run with Onyxian Whelpling + Spawn of Onyxia.

The Whelpling will annihilate the firefly with tail sweep. I use a healing flame once it is on low health, so that my killing blow grants me the dragonkin +50% damage buff against the snake.

Tail Sweep the snake. Then lift off to dodge the burrow, and usually hit the snake hard. One more tail sweep kills the snake.

If I get unlucky I may loose the Whelpling before the snake dies, in which case I bring in the Spawn of Onyxia and finish it.

Dor the Wall, the turtle has one big hit every 4 rounds. It will open with its attack. I usually lose my first pet to this attack. If it's my second pet, it can take the hit no problem. Just healing flame. After Dor hits, you can safely swap in your level 1 for 1 round while he shields/heals.

I basically use lift off to dodge every second attack (when it hits it is also devastating against aquatics). Every other attack I recover from using healing flame. With bad luck, it can take a few extra turns to kill Dor but if you are smart and use their abilities correctly it is impossible for the turtle to kill either Spawn of Onyxia or Onyxian Whelpling.

Alternatively, just about any moth works well against Dor as well. You just need to time Cocoon Strike to absorb his attack.

Demoiselle
Pet Score:2013
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Demoiselle » May 15th, 2013, 5:26 pm

I'm just starting to get a system down for trainer leveling a pet, so I thought I'd share.

I seem to be leveling 2 lowbies & one captured rare every time I run through the trainers. I'm satisfied with that number. There might be a better way, but I like mine because it's not too fiddly.

The first thing I do is queue up the pets I want to level the next day. Then while I'm running around Pandaria I'll expose them to a couple of wild pet battles against 25s, to get level 1s up to level 5-10. So 2-4 pet battles wherever I happen to snatch an extra minute.

The next day I'll slot in one of my queued lowbies and take it through the trainers. Kara & Winterspring first. Then Shadowmoon, then the Pandaria trainers. I start with Nishi (of course), then make a circuit going up to Courageous Yon next and around in a circle, counter-clockwise.

By the time I get to the burning spirit my lowbie is 20+ and can take a hit or two, or finish off a trainer pet that's close to dying. Because I'm still working on a crew of pets that can reliably 2-man all the trainers, this ends up being pretty important. A level 22-23 lowbie can take out 1/4 to 1/3 of one trainer pet's health, and that often makes the difference for me.

Usually, continuing counterclockwise, I've got a pet at 24 and change while I'm on my way to Mo'ruk. So I stop next to Mo'ruk and battle the wild turtles until my first lowbie pet is 25. 1-2 battles. Then, with Mo'ruk, I'll slot in a wild captured rare that's already 20+.

Then the shrine tamer, the whispering spirit, and Aki. For these I'll slot in a new lowbie, primed to the 5-10 region. For the thundering spirit I'll use the wild-captured, already 20+ that I started on Mo'ruk.

Between Obalis and Major Payne, those two pets end up at 25 or pretty near to it.

-- In the beginning, I used the trainers to level pets that I needed to battle more trainers. You can get a single pet to 25 in a day even if you aren't doing the spirits, or if you can't carry a pet through Mo'ruk, Obalis, or Payne...as long as you've got access to the easy Pandaria trainers, like Nishi and Yon and Hyuna. The Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdor/Outland circuit only took my pets to 20 or so, and those last five levels take forever to grind.

-- Note: I just completed the pandaren spirit quest & before I turned it in, I was indeed able to repeat battles with individual spirits & get lots of trainer-boosted xp for each battle. The whispering spirit is great for this because (1) almost any two dragons can solo the trainer and (2) if you're trying to get a crew of pets together to 2-man the trainers, you'll be leveling up some dragons.

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » May 16th, 2013, 3:11 am

Nice roundup.
-- Note: I just completed the pandaren spirit quest & before I turned it in, I was indeed able to repeat battles with individual spirits & get lots of trainer-boosted xp for each battle. The whispering spirit is great for this because (1) almost any two dragons can solo the trainer and (2) if you're trying to get a crew of pets together to 2-man the trainers, you'll be leveling up some dragons.
This is important. Whoever hasn't finished the spirit quest yet should take advantage of this. The amount of XP you get there is huge. However i'd suggest to do the flowing spirit because this one tends to be a very quick fight with a vampiric batling (if you don't have one, try a regular bat but i'm not sure this works) and a dragon.