Darkmoon trainer... bugged? still?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jalad
Pet Score:3765
BattleTag®:Jalad#1735
Realm:Draenor-us
Darkmoon trainer... bugged? still?

Post by Jalad » April 12th, 2013, 4:37 pm

I hate this guy... I really do.

I've also thought his monkey was a cheat ;P but today, I've had a number of big attacks go off against him and they do... nothing. I see no "Miss," no "Dodge," the monkey just takes no damage and then proceeds to hit me.

Anyone else experiencing this? I haven't noticed this before, wondering if it's worth putting in a bug report?

Jalad
Pet Score:3765
BattleTag®:Jalad#1735
Realm:Draenor-us

Re: Darkmoon trainer... bugged? still?

Post by Jalad » April 12th, 2013, 4:41 pm

He was also just able to stun me two turns in a row...

Klunketh
Pet Score:2429
Realm:Al'Akir-eu

Post by Klunketh » April 12th, 2013, 4:55 pm

can 2 pet him, clockwork gnome the darkmoon zep, back up with another mech

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » April 12th, 2013, 8:14 pm

He isn't bugged. Just can be difficult, particularly the monkey due to his stats and his abilities.

Things can happen rather rapidly in that fight since the monkey is fast and opens with a stun; the bananas also are multiple hits (3 times, if I recall; both when it is cast, and also at the end of every turn the buff is up). This makes it look like he is "cheating", or can make it easy to miss things. The combat log usually clears up some confusion though.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » April 13th, 2013, 6:21 am

Klunketh wrote:can 2 pet him, clockwork gnome the darkmoon zep, back up with another mech
I never thought of the zep as my #2. I've been using a Phoenix hatchling or a yellow moth. Usually I can use as low as level 1. But for the gnome I use abilities 2,1,1. He's key to the team. RNG can still bite every once in a while, but that's any trainer.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » April 13th, 2013, 9:01 am

Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling and Infinite Whelpling can two-pet him unless you get unlucky.
That having been said, I try not to go in with leveling pets below L18 or 19, just so they can help a little. :?
ImageImage

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » April 14th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Used to be if you used Decoy against the monkey he bugged, so I just quit using it and the battles go just fine. Not sure if this is what is happening to you or not.

I use Mech Panda Dragon, Fel Flame, and Zeppelin. If the Zeppelin is needed, I just don't use Decoy. Hope this helps :mrgreen:

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » April 14th, 2013, 6:14 pm

because i don't have a dragonling, i normally do him with a infinite dragonling and broom. usually i need more than 1 try because a lot can go wrong: attacks missing, the dragonling getting the dragon buff at the wrong moment, early advantage not going off properly ecetera ecetera. the most important point is to get sandstorm off before the monkey enters the game to ensure that the banana spell doesn't do too much damage. then two wind-ups should normally be enough to kill the monkey. well, unless one misses.... :evil:

Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Waflob » April 15th, 2013, 1:50 am

I have found a nice strategy for this, but it still hasn't resulted in the pet ....

Start with Personal World Destroyer and Quake for the first 3 rounds, followed by Repair. Depending on how the relative life values of PWD and the frontrow pet look, I'll either pass until Quake is up, or attack (Metal Fist). By the time the PWD dies, that irritating monkey is under half health.

Then swap in [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet], who lasts until the tonk dies or is swapped out. If I'm lucky with the timing, then Sons of the Flame will be active while the monkey comes in, completely negating his stun. This is usually enough to finish it off, but just in case, I have an Emerald Proto-Whelp, which is a pretty good general all-round pet.

I stoned and levelled PWD especially for this fight and have not regretted it once.
Hope this helps.

Deepfriedegg
Pet Score:2663
Realm:Aszune-eu

Post by Deepfriedegg » April 15th, 2013, 5:42 am

Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling with Breath makes the Eye a joke. When the Eye is dead, I put up Decoy and switch to Lil Ragnaros and do Conflagrate and then Sons of the Flame. By now, the tonk should use the racial res so you just finish him off with Sulfuras Smash. Now do as much damage to the monkey as you can and based on situation in which you are, either switch to carry pet or back to MPD use Breath, Decoy when it is available and when monkey is around 650 HP, you can use Explode and win.

Alternate strat without Lil Ragnaros would be not switching MPD but do as much damage as you can with Breath to the tonk, use Decoy on the Tonk and when it is on 650, use Explode. This will prevent the Tonk from using his racial Res. Then have another pet with mechanical abilities and a carry pet to finish the Monkey

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896

Post by Gromagrim » April 15th, 2013, 5:46 am

Started using an infinite whelp for the first two, if he dies before the tonk, my second pet is my own tonk (1,1,2). Missle to finish the enemy. Switch low level pet in to take the minkey stun, then I find there's enough health on the tonk to survive to get off a shock and awe followed by an ion cannon finish.

And you, it can go wrong -_-

Adely
Pet Score:4378
BattleTag®:Adely#1848
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Post by Adely » April 15th, 2013, 8:21 am

I usually go with Dark Whelpling (2, 2, 1), Phoenix Hatchling (1, 2, 2) and Darkmoon Tonk (1, 1, 2). The whelp destroys the eye in 3 - 4 hits with Tail Swipe and casts Darkness on the Tonk. If I'm lucky (with incoming damage), my whelp still has enough HP to use Lift-Off and avoid the trainer Tonk's Lock-On. His Tonk is at least half dead when my whelp dies and is easily finished by the phoenix Immolate -> Conflagarate combo. I'm not sure but I think Darkness also reduces the rez heal. The monkey takes a lot of damage from the phoenix cause it is faster and is able to get off another Immolate -> Conflagarate combo. Once the phoenix is dead, my Tonk can finish off the monkey in 1 - 2 hits. Sometimes I get lucky with dodges on the phoenix and can 2 pet the battle. It might not be the best team, but it definitely gets the job done in one shot.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896

Post by Gromagrim » April 16th, 2013, 5:54 am

I think most people are looking for strategies where 2 level 25 pets kill his team, allowing a lower level pet to benefit from the experience.

Beesknees
Pet Score:6328
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Beesknees » April 19th, 2013, 9:27 am

Also, it only costs a token to fight him. You can use a lower level who can purchase a token cheaper. So you can fight him over and over until you win. I've had to fight him up to 5 times to win- having one pet at full health and the opponent at less than 300 and still dying. Sometimes its how lucky/effective your attacks are.

But, I've written down these tips to try next time.

Ragingfurball
Top Rater
Pet Score:1829
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Ragingfurball » April 21st, 2013, 7:43 pm

While I find Jeremy Feasal (The Darkmoon Tamer) to be a moderately difficult fight, I can *usually* beat him within two or three tries. My go-to team consists of a Feral Vermling, then a Darkmoon Zeppilin, with a Sprite Darter Hatchling to finish up. I won't go into detail as you're probably already oversaturated with them.

The one issue I consistantly have against him is that danged monkey and it's bananas attack. I don't know if the effect last longer than the cooldown, or if it's just a cheating bastage, but I've had it hit my critters with 6-7 banana attacks in a single round before; which is a death sentence.

Laxman22
Pet Score:6987
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Laxman22 » May 6th, 2013, 4:55 am

Gilneas wrote:He isn't bugged. Just can be difficult, particularly the monkey due to his stats and his abilities.

Things can happen rather rapidly in that fight since the monkey is fast and opens with a stun; the bananas also are multiple hits (3 times, if I recall; both when it is cast, and also at the end of every turn the buff is up). This makes it look like he is "cheating", or can make it easy to miss things. The combat log usually clears up some confusion though.
The fact is the monkey can hit you up to 4 times before you can even attack him once.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » May 6th, 2013, 11:34 am

Beesknees wrote:Also, it only costs a token to fight him. You can use a lower level who can purchase a token cheaper. So you can fight him over and over until you win. I've had to fight him up to 5 times to win- having one pet at full health and the opponent at less than 300 and still dying. Sometimes its how lucky/effective your attacks are.

But, I've written down these tips to try next time.
Personally, I have tokens practically coming out of my ears! You get free ones just for doing the profession dailies each month. Since I have an army of alts who all do the profession quests and don't play the games anymore, I have actually had to delete a few tokens.

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Nagini » May 6th, 2013, 1:02 pm

I usually get the DMF trainer down in one shot unless my luck is really bad, using Celestial dragon (breath for the eye) Fel Flame for the tonk and a Moth (any moth) for the monkey. it takes less damage from its attacks, use cocoon strike(?) to defend yourself from stuns and moth dust occasionally even puts him to sleep.

Good luck getting that eye!

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » May 6th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Laxman22 wrote:
Gilneas wrote:He isn't bugged. Just can be difficult, particularly the monkey due to his stats and his abilities.

The fact is the monkey can hit you up to 4 times before you can even attack him once.
Yes, if you are slower than him and not a critter, he hits you multiple times in a row because you essentially lose two turns to the stun. It only appears to be more than a legitimate amount because the bananas are a multihit attack, and fall at the end of each turn in addition to their upfront damage. It sucks, but its how the mechanics are supposed to work.