Pet battling tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us
Pet battling tips

Post by Doobjanka » July 14th, 2012, 3:53 am

Include anything you've discovered that doesn't include exploits!

So far, Gazelle Fawn is my favorite pet. I've got mine to level 12 and she carries the rest of my team. You can pick one up in Mulgore. I kept capturing and releasing until I got a rare quality one. Why is the Gazelle so awesome? She's a healer. Yeah, she drops tranquility that lasts for 5 rounds, even if you switch pets, and she has a heal that hits everyone in your group.

To level your lower pets up, have a high pet in the group but the low level as the starter. The moment the fight loads, switch to a more powerful pet and the low level one gets XP. If you do that for the tamer quests you can get 5 levels for a level 1.

Enjoy pet battling and add any tips or tricks you find.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Shadowseek
Top Rater
Pet Score:9488
BattleTag®:Shadowseek#1673
Realm:Medivh-us

Re: Pet battling tips

Post by Shadowseek » July 14th, 2012, 4:37 am

I found that getting to level 4 requires 8 battles in a starter zone. 1 to hit level 2, 3 for level 3 and 4 for level 4. That is without switching pets.

Also if you have a 2nd pet show up during the battle, you can only capture one of the 2 pets. Pick the one you want more and kill the other.

Finally, use your Revive Battle Pets spell once every 15 minutes if your pets are all low on health. It will heal your pets and revive the dead ones. It will also save on 10s if you need your pets alive.

Oh, one more thing. When leveling pets, don't focus too much on just one or two pets. When they pass out you'll have to heal them or visit a stable Master. Instead, level up a few pets. It will take time, but it's worth it, especially when you are doing the trainer battles and need a pet that has abilities that are strong against the trainer's.

(and dang i wanted to say pokemon so badly since I was playing it earlier waiting for realms to come up! lol)

Skulwolf
Top Rater
Pet Score:4831
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Skulwolf » July 14th, 2012, 10:42 am

so happy pet battles is back n i can cont my catching n training. also back when just few ppl w/pet battles. u get extra exp on ur pet when we used to fight each other n they lv up quicker. not sure if they still do now have to test when i get on. also looking for pet battles guild on lost isle.

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » July 14th, 2012, 10:52 am

If I'm on, WarcraftPets Horde is recruiting on the PvE server. Friend Doobjanka for an invite.

I'll be on tonight to start giving out invites.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Thehermit
MVP
Pet Score:3453
BattleTag®:TheHermit#1132
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Thehermit » July 14th, 2012, 9:50 pm

How often do uncommon and rare wild pets show up? I'm guessing you also can't tell until after you catch it?

EDIT: It took me about 3 hours to get a rare gazelle. I caged 10 uncommons and threw away 2-3 before I started doing that.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » July 15th, 2012, 7:21 am

Thehermit wrote:How often do uncommon and rare wild pets show up? I'm guessing you also can't tell until after you catch it?

EDIT: It took me about 3 hours to get a rare gazelle. I caged 10 uncommons and threw away 2-3 before I started doing that.
Apparently, the amount of HP a pet has compared to its level is a good clue.

Thehermit
MVP
Pet Score:3453
BattleTag®:TheHermit#1132
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Thehermit » July 15th, 2012, 2:11 pm

Sunscorch wrote:Apparently, the amount of HP a pet has compared to its level is a good clue.
I noticed that too after a while and it seemed to hold true in my experience so far. If the wild pet has as good or better stats than my pets at that level it's almost certainly at least uncommon.

Jadax
Top Rater

Post by Jadax » July 15th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Once MoP goes live, I expect there'll be a rarity calculator addon within a week :P

Tistal
Pet Score:5250
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Tistal » July 15th, 2012, 3:08 pm

Sunscorch wrote: Apparently, the amount of HP a pet has compared to its level is a good clue.
There certainly seems to be some truth to this. After reading this thread, I decided I'd try it out.

Blighted Squirrels in Silverpine:
Edit: added more numbers
level 5 with 520 HP: rare
level 5 with 467 HP (times 2): uncommon
level 5 with 415 HP: common
level 5 with 378 HP: poor
level 5 with 362 HP (times 5): poor
level 4 with 411 HP: uncommon
level 4 with 393 HP: uncommon
level 4 with 367 HP (times 2): common
level 4 with 352 HP (times 2): common
level 4 with 310 HP (times 2): poor
level 3 with 300 HP (times 2): common
level 3 with 266 HP: poor
level 3 with 257 HP (times 2): poor

Ruzgofdi
MVP
Pet Score:4033
BattleTag®:TrojanRat#1907
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us

Post by Ruzgofdi » July 15th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Remember all those cities in your faction that hardly anyone goes to because they're not the central hub?

When you're starting to level a pet up from level 1, head out there.

As a Horde player, Durotar currently feels like a barren wasteland when looking for pets to battle. Mulgore, on the other hand, has many more opportunities.

Wildkarrde
Pet Score:917
Realm:Firetree-us

Post by Wildkarrde » July 16th, 2012, 9:55 pm

I've found Undercity to be the best place on my server. Remember, the best place to go will be specific to the server you are on, and as more people try out pet battles even those places will become more challenging. I spent about 2 hours in Undercity last time I played, at the beginning I was about the only other person there, by the time I left it was getting pretty hard to consistently find battles.

Duerma
Pet Score:6468
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Duerma » July 17th, 2012, 12:52 pm

The fastest way to get a single pet to 25 is to capture stuff along the way. Fight things at your level or 1 above, capture something, and then add it to your team. This way you don't have to worry about evenly leveling 3 pets, which can take quite a bit longer.

Don't just release your pets once you're at 15 or so - cage them and give them to your friends or guildies. Even a poor quality level 15 is better than a rare quality level 1 if all you're looking to do is capture stuff.

When you get to Pandaria, try to have a good variety of uncommon & rare quality pets that are level 23-24. The stable masters there can't rez your pets, so if you only have 3 you're using, you'll be waiting a terribly long time in between battles.

Pets that can heal are pretty leet, even with the 3-turn hotfix they snuck in yesterday.

As mentioned above, the health is very indicative of the quality of the pet. Every time I start a battle, I compare the max health of the pets I'm fighting to the ones I've already got in my pet journal. I will try to capture the one that has more health than what I've got, and if none of them do, then I know not to waste my time. I'm up to 6 rares this way.

It can be tempting to load up your pets with just very hard-hitting abilities, but if you are trying to capture something, you will want to have something that's weaker, or else you'll often find yourself killing the pet you meant to trap.

Try to avoid cockroaches and beetles that are above level 20. They have an ability called "Apocalypse" that is supposed to kill everything except them after 15 turns. The problem is, it's bugged, and it will randomly kill things during its duration (including the cockroaches that were supposed to survive). It's super frustrating and obnoxious to just have your pets drop dead.

Your pets' XP is split between them, so it's ideal to only use one pet to battle. This is not always possible, but if you have a stable master nearby or a bunch of backups, you can cheat a little. Have the pet you want to level get a couple hits in, then do most of the fighting with another pet. Get the second pet killed, and have the first pet finish off the battle. Since pets don't get XP when dead, the first pet will get all the XP as if it were the only one who participated in the battle.

Jadax
Top Rater

Post by Jadax » July 17th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Duerma wrote:Your pets' XP is split between them, so it's ideal to only use one pet to battle. This is not always possible, but if you have a stable master nearby or a bunch of backups, you can cheat a little. Have the pet you want to level get a couple hits in, then do most of the fighting with another pet. Get the second pet killed, and have the first pet finish off the battle. Since pets don't get XP when dead, the first pet will get all the XP as if it were the only one who participated in the battle.
You might also be able to use the Restless Shadeling's "Possession" ability for this, since the Shadeling counts as dead while it's possessing something.

Daniboone
MVP
Pet Score:13472
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Daniboone » July 20th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Healing your pets only takes as long as a log out takes. I keep another toon sitting by the pet tamer in SW and when I need pets healed before my CD is up, I just log out, get her, get the pets healed and log back on the one out taming pets. Takes less than a minute to get it done.

Angaurwen
Pet Score:4497
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Angaurwen » July 21st, 2012, 4:04 am

So if we can catch poor, uncommon and rare quality pets, reckon there will be any reports of super Epic quality pets?

Aggressive
Realm:Shadowsong-eu

Post by Aggressive » July 21st, 2012, 2:45 pm

I can add my post for this. :) As it contains possible "powerleveling" method. But I won't get surprised if Blizzard nerf this aswell...but...I don't see the point why they should? It's not WoW, it's WoW PBS!!!

Post http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=374

General tips from me...
Use only the pet's you want to level and ALWAYS battle against pets that is +1, they are "easiest" to kill, compared to your own level.

And if you got level 25's, then check my post above.

Dementron
Pet Score:9542
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Dementron » July 21st, 2012, 11:26 pm

In case anyone hasn't seen it, I'll mention the Pet Battle Rarity addon at [url]http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21340-PetBattleRarity.html#info[/url]

This addon is super useful and shows the rarity of enemy battle pets on their tooltips once you are in battle with them.

Right now, healing seems to be at a premium. Since pets only heal 50% of the damage they took in a fight once the fight is over and our only healing spell as a trainer is on a 15 minute cooldown, keeping your team healthy generally requires heavy focus on healing abilities, staying near a stablemaster, logging out and switching to an alt that is stationed at a stablemaster, or regularly switching up team members between each fight. The fawn family is one of the best for low-level healing (Fawn, Little Fawn, Gazelle Fawn and Winter Reindeer), since they get Tranquility at level 2 and Bleat and level 4.

Aggressive

Post by Aggressive » July 22nd, 2012, 5:31 am

Dementron wrote:In case anyone hasn't seen it, I'll mention the Pet Battle Rarity addon at [url]http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21340-PetBattleRarity.html#info[/url]

This addon is super useful and shows the rarity of enemy battle pets on their tooltips once you are in battle with them.

Right now, healing seems to be at a premium. Since pets only heal 50% of the damage they took in a fight once the fight is over and our only healing spell as a trainer is on a 15 minute cooldown, keeping your team healthy generally requires heavy focus on healing abilities, staying near a stablemaster, logging out and switching to an alt that is stationed at a stablemaster, or regularly switching up team members between each fight. The fawn family is one of the best for low-level healing (Fawn, Little Fawn, Gazelle Fawn and Winter Reindeer), since they get Tranquility at level 2 and Bleat and level 4.
Nice addon. But I question myself why Blizzard did not implement this from start already. :S

Aggressive

Post by Aggressive » July 22nd, 2012, 5:32 am

Angaurwen wrote:So if we can catch poor, uncommon and rare quality pets, reckon there will be any reports of super Epic quality pets?
Maybe in a future. I have 650 fights now and have not found anything better than rare. Only diffrent quality rares (like more HP, faster or stronger...or mix of them all).

Anyway, nice addon. I was having hard time to actually spot which was rare and not. I've caught pets with tons of HP, but they were still just uncommon. :S This is a time-saver.

Shalura
Pet Score:7233
Realm:Anvilmar-us

Post by Shalura » July 26th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Angaurwen wrote:So if we can catch poor, uncommon and rare quality pets, reckon there will be any reports of super Epic quality pets?
Reports of them? Sure. Actual ones? Probably not.