Player experience question

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Myrna
Pet Score:2361
BattleTag®:Myrna#1877
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us
Re: Player experience question

Post by Myrna » March 8th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Well not bad at 88, with rested and darkmoon faire i'm getting abour 167k now. Still viable at 88!

Stonewallred
Pet Score:1825
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Stonewallred » March 8th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Syrrie wrote:
There was nothing reasonable about the amount of xp that was being given for pet battles.
Yours and blizz's opinion.
Seems to be a lot more folks thinking it was fine on forums and fan sites, just saying.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » March 8th, 2013, 10:06 pm

[url=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8177778086#1]Here's an official update[/url] to the player experience from Pet Battles situation.

I'm a little sad they feel it should be slower than questing, but I understand the logic behind it.

Not sure if this is part of how they factor experience now, but to me it makes sense to battle pets appropriate to your level in order to earn experience. It's just like if you were to grind on random mobs in the world. A level 3 mob giving a level 44 player a large chunk of experience doesn't make much sense. ^^; Just IMHO.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Myrna
Pet Score:2361
BattleTag®:Myrna#1877
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Myrna » March 9th, 2013, 12:14 pm

I can dig slower than questing, I have lots of pets to level to 25. However, I'm annoyed that xp was cut at 89. :/

At least I have an alternative to Outland with my monk!

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » March 11th, 2013, 3:43 pm

I got a level and a half yesterday on my level 73 (now 74 and a half) DK, battling dragonbone condors and imperial eagle chicks and fjord rats. I was getting about 11-13k a battle. Forgot to check how long I was out there. I know I got my rare P/P condor, a rare eagle, and failed to find a rare fjord rat.

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » March 11th, 2013, 7:35 pm

An update to this after today's hotfix:

My level 89 hunter, with rested, just got 194700 xp for fighting a random group of aquatic pets in Vale of Eternal Blossoms.
Image Image

Stonewallred
Pet Score:1825
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Stonewallred » March 12th, 2013, 9:20 am

Nice, now they give alts xp, after grinding from 5k into lvl 89 to 90 via AV yesterday.

Restofarian
Top Rater
Pet Score:4064
BattleTag®:Restofarian#1262
Realm:Azralon-us

Post by Restofarian » March 12th, 2013, 9:54 am

Syrrie wrote:An update to this after today's hotfix:

My level 89 hunter, with rested, just got 194700 xp for fighting a random group of aquatic pets in Vale of Eternal Blossoms.
Glad to hear. Ty for the heads up.

Albain
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Albain » March 14th, 2013, 1:37 am

There might be something I'm missing; at 85+, the exp you gain is at least worthwhile due to how many you can do. However my level 11 shaman, is getting 79 exp per battle - no way is this even remotely near an 'acceptable' level of exp to make it worthwhile. This is battling pets in the zone she should be leveling in, the barrens. Am I missing something important to make it give a little more exp than that? >_o

Hulfnar
Pet Score:2027
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Hulfnar » March 18th, 2013, 1:32 pm

TL/DR Under the right conditions I am still getting ~170k exp per battle.

Details: I have been grinding Arcane Eyes the last few days to level up a raft of battle pets, and under the right conditions I am still getting ~170k exp per battle. I'm not sure what was nerfed, but someone might find this information useful.

My character is level 88 (86 when I started a few days ago). I had been only very casually grinding up battle pets -- my highest was a level 13 Sinister Squashling, and I had a variety of pets in the level 5 to 10 range. I followed some advice and took my Squashling, a level 5 Tiny Harvester and something else (I forget which), and went to capture an Arcane Eye, which turned out to be fairly easy. They only fight solo, so even a low level team of three (of course avoiding using any low level Flying or Aquatic pets) can usually take one out.

I then started grinding up various pets in my collection; I would just rotate teams during the 8-minute heal timer. Each fight would get me about ~170k exp (varied based on the level of the Eye.) I quickly discovered that [pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet] was an Arcane Eye wrecking machine; even at level 8 he could solo two or three Eyes in a row before needing a heal. He would get 220 pet exp per win up until he hit level 16, then the exp dropped to 207.

I tried other nearby zones. In short, I would get ~30k exp for winning a battle significantly below my team level (e.g. Northern STV) and ~170k for winning a battle at or above my team level (e.g. Blasted Lands). What made it more difficult, of course, was not being able to predict with certainty the composition of the other team.