Starting from level 1 - beginner questions

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Greyraven
Starting from level 1 - beginner questions

Post by Greyraven » February 20th, 2013, 5:59 am

Hi,

yesterday I started getting interested in Pet Battles and I have started to level the following pets: Winterspring Cub, Fluxfire Feline and Onyxian Whelpling. The first two are uncommon and the whelpling is rare. I have chosen the Winterspring Cub because I really like it, the Fluxfire Feline because it is currently very strong (and 5.2 is still a few days away) and the Onyxian Whelpling because I like it and it is relatively strong. I currently focus my leveling efforts on these three pets and they are all at level 14 as of today.

Here are my questions:

1. In battling the NPC tamers, does having a rare pet give you a huge advance over having an uncommon pet? There are Flawless Battle-Stones in the AH ony my realm, but they cost 9k gold each and I don't really want to invest that much at this point.

2. Will the combination of the Fluxfire Feline and the Onyxian Whelpling (both at 25 of course) allow me to use them to level a third pet against the NPC tamers?

3. Will I be able to use the combination of the aforementioned pets to win against all the NPC tamers to unlock the dailies? Or do I absolutely have to level another pet for this purpose?

Regards,
GreyRaven

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Re: Starting from level 1 - beginner questions

Post by GormanGhaste » February 20th, 2013, 6:27 am

I would recommend leveling only rare pets. While you'll want to level up more pets for the tamers, I would concentrate on getting one team to 25 first.
Mingyao on Madoran

Rifkin
MVP
Pet Score:9103
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Rifkin » February 20th, 2013, 6:38 am

Welcome to pet battles :D
Having rares will add advantage, but you still have to learn the tricks to defeating your opponents. Check out the some of the awesome guides that this site offers for pet battling http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/
As for the upgrade stones on AH, i personally wouldn't bother wasting the gold unless you have it waste, during the many pet battles you do, you may be lucky to loot one at the end of a battle. Additional once you start unlock the various dailies, the stones have a chance of being in you reward sack.
I personally haven't used the FFF and Onyxian whelpling much, but i think you may have a difficult time using just the two. With the right combinations you will be able to use two max level pets to level a third pet. Keep in mind tho, some of the NPC trainers can be a nightmare, what works today may totally bomb for you the next day. (that could be just in my own experiences tho)
For your last question, I'm going to go out on a limb and say no........ it may be possible but I really do think that possibilty would only come after many many many battles and you don't sound like you would like to spend the time doing that :P
FYI my "team" consisted (at the start) of 15 different pets, I still find now that they aren't all perfect but having a good pool of alternatives does make battles a lot easier.
Hope I've answered your questions, Happy Hunting :)

Greyraven

Post by Greyraven » February 20th, 2013, 7:17 am

Thank you for your quick answers.

I went to my collection again and I replaced the FFF with a Vampiric Batling and the Winterspring Cub with a Panther Cub, so now I have three rare pets in my main team. Since nearly all my other pets are at level 1, I will focus on these three and try to catch some higher level wild pets as I go along, so I don't have to level so many pets at once but still have substitutes for difficult fights.

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Stabya » February 20th, 2013, 12:15 pm

See if you can get your hands on any Rare Mechanical

They are great to level from day one cause the world is full of beasts, and Mechanicals beat the tar out of them.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » February 20th, 2013, 12:36 pm

When I started, I leveled three core pets and thought they'd work all the way to 25. Sort of. They were the first three to 25, but I had to get them some friends pretty quick. I ended up with six pets that formed two core teams for the tamers, but even then I had to get creative when I hit the Northrend tamers. Try to level a mix instead of just your two. Get an elemental for the mechanicals, a rabbit/squirrel for the undead, and a flyer for the aquatics.

Don't be so quick to dismiss your Fluxfire Feline, just because it's only Uncommon. Try to find a rare one. The wild pets you encounter will be mostly beasts or critters. Your panther will take out the critters, and a mechanical like the Fluxfire Feline will be powerful against the beasts. If you don't want to camp the gnome starting area looking for a rare, try getting a rare Tiny Harvester from Westfall.

I understand about not wanting to level a lot of pets, but you're not going to be able to two man the content with a cat and a dragon. You're going to need a variety.

Corah
Pet Score:13318
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Corah » February 20th, 2013, 2:25 pm

If you have a clockwork gnome, they're good a good rare mechanical to level. Another good choice is some sort of aquatic (to take out the critters), turtles, crabs, crawfish.

Jebi_chan
Pet Score:3463
Realm:Chamber of Aspects-eu

Post by Jebi_chan » February 28th, 2013, 2:27 pm

i love my FFF by the way, hes quick to level and hits like a truck :) just had to get that in there

but i follow the others you do need a bigger team, im struggling with higher pet battles and only have 3 level 25's but getting thoes 3 up quickly helps with catching higher levels to help you later

good luck