MGTTDPB 5.2: My guide to tamer daily pet battles for 5.2

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us
Re: MGTTDPB 5.2: My guide to tamer daily pet battles for 5.2

Post by Formerruling » February 20th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Feedback for Thundering: I don't have a Robo Cub so I tried a few as I don't have any burst mechs leveled and so far Lil'XT fits the bill perfectly (plus is in several of my other battles so it's a reuse of a pet for me), but 1,2,1 not his normal Tantrum/Repair build. Open with Bomb, then Brokenhearted, then Zap-Zap, and the Bomb kills him even if one Zap misses.

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Badpathing » February 21st, 2013, 2:10 pm

Shaytan wrote: My team is a little more simple, what I tend to do is setup my team in the following format

Leveling Pet (typically 15+ at this point)
Leveling Pet (typically 15+ at this point)
Lil'Tarecgosa (2,1,2)

Siren almost always goes first (and when he doesn't I just force him first), so I use the first leveling pet, cycle in the second leveling pet, and then cycle in Lil'Tarecgosa.

Spam Arcane Explosion until both back end pets are killed, Siren will typically only heal and throw up its weather spell the whole time.

Then hit Siren with 4-5 Arcane Blasts, dropping Siren below 750 health and finish him with a Surge of Power.

May take a while to kill all 3 mobs, but you level 2 at the same time.

Shay.
Couple of problems with this. First of all, you are splitting xp. So while you may have two pets getting xp, you are not necessarily leveling 'faster' from a global perspective.

The other is, the guide in this thread is specifically avoiding forced-first-pets. Meaning, the comps are flexible.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Re: MGTTDPB 5.2: My guide to trainer daily pet battles for 5

Post by Gendou » February 21st, 2013, 2:49 pm

Poofah wrote:Definitely this. Try Enchanted Broom (Batter/Sweep/Wind-Up) and Phoenix Hatchling (Burn/Cauterize/Immolation). If you don't start against Grizzle, you can Sweep to get him, then Wind-Up Batter Batter Wind-Up him. Phoenix can handle the mechanopeep and the flower, since being faster nerfs their multi-hit attacks, and you can Cauterize their big hits (Wind-Up or Shock and Awe, and Roots).
I leveled those two specifically to try this strategy.

It was brilliant. Image
ImageImage

Cabadath
Pet Score:2577
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Cabadath » February 21st, 2013, 3:05 pm

I absolutely love such comps as you suggested for Payne, Poofah.
No better way to start a flexible team vs a tamer than bringing a stun or force-swap pet to the table.

And I also love the fact that while trying to find a perfect team for the tamers, you can try a pet and deem it unfit for the battle in question, but suddenly find out that if one uses one of its other abilities instead it suddenly rocks! That is very rewarding :)

Haven't logged in to wow for a while, but I am definitely optimistic about broom + phoenix.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 21st, 2013, 4:39 pm

I have been skipping all dailies other than Panda dailies for tamers. I guess with so much I want to do, and the extra travelling associated with those trainers, I just decided they were not worth the effort.

None-the-less, the broom and phoenix combo sounds fun. Maybe I should park an alt over there or something.

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114

Post by GilroyKilroy » February 21st, 2013, 6:23 pm

Shaytan wrote: May take a while to kill all 3 mobs, but you level 2 at the same time.
Not really since they split xp.

Ronkuby
MVP
Pet Score:5650
Realm:Garona-us

Post by Ronkuby » February 21st, 2013, 6:41 pm

Cabadath wrote:2.6 Mo’ruk
-Very reliable, but a little slow and boring with refreshing Emerald Presence and using Emerald Dream. Not too slow though, as Lightstalker takes extra dmg from Emerald Bite.
-Woodcarver, Lightstalker, Needleback (usually start with Woodcarver).
1: Emerald Proto Whelp [4] (2,2,2)
2: Carry pet (won’t take any damage. Can use a lvl 1 pet)
3: Gilnean Raven [8] (1,2,1)

-If you have any teams killing Mo’ruk faster than this, and just as reliably, please let me know!

Vs Woodcarver first:
-Round 1: Use Emerald Bite
-Round 2: Use Emerald Presence (Woodcarver will use Burrow).
-Then just use Emerald Bite, refresh Emerald Presence when the current shield has 1 round left, and use Emerald Dream when you are getting low on hp (it’s nice if you time Emerald Dream so that you get the last rounds heal right after you get hit by his Burrow, then finish him off to face Lightstalker).

-Note that if you have 1 round left with Emerald Presence when Woodcarver has 1 round left with CD on his Burrow, use Emerald Bite instead of refreshing your shield. The following round he will Burrow, and you can use Emerald Shield. If you refresh the shield instead of attacking, you won’t be able to attack him next round because of the Burrow, forcing you to waste a round by using Emerald Presence again (unless you really need to use Emerald Dream).

Vs Lightstalker first:
-Round 1: Use Emerald Presence.
-Then use Emerald Bite, refresh Emerald Presence when the current shield has 1 round left, and use Emerald Dream when you dip low on hp.
-If you are put to sleep by Lightstalker’s Moth Dust, pass the round and use Emerald Presence immediately. You will be low on hp at this point, so use Emerald Dream.

Vs Needleback:
-Only use Emerald Bite vs Needleback, letting your Emerald Proto Whelp die while doing some damage on Needleback.
-When Emerald Proto Whelp dies, field your carry pet to immediately switch him out for Gilnean Raven. Use Call Darkness, then Nocturnal Strike, and finish Needleback off with Peck.
Why use a breed 8 raven rather than 10? The 10 will have more health and power, and the extra speed of the 8 doesn't help against powerball or while the flying racial is active.

Saviya
Pet Score:11609
BattleTag®:Saviya#1875
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Saviya » February 21st, 2013, 7:33 pm

This is going to sound crazy but I just about lost my mind trying to kill Nishi with my turtle... took soooo long, and if dive missed once, it was basically starting over. So... thank you for this information! Hopefully I can beat him without wanting to break my computer now :D

edit: finished leveling my strider... he killed all 3 and ended up full health. I feel so dumb for not having leveled him before!

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 21st, 2013, 9:47 pm

@ Cabadath, for your Zushi strat....man, I cannot get it to work. I am running breed 4 Jade Ooze, and I just cannot live through the 2nd pet. I mean, I can use that comp to 'win' but it feel very very tight...

definitely not taking out two pets with the ooze; not even close.

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » February 22nd, 2013, 1:26 am

Badpathing wrote:@ Cabadath, for your Zushi strat....man, I cannot get it to work. I am running breed 4 Jade Ooze, and I just cannot live through the 2nd pet. I mean, I can use that comp to 'win' but it feel very very tight...

Then you are probably unbelievable unlucky or doing something wrong since I've used that strategy for AGES and 95% of time it works (rest 5% is naturally streaks of bad luck). However, if you are unlucky with Diamond or a just generally low to begin with for Mollus, you could try using Absorb in the first and third rounds to help recover a bit. But in general, if nothing gets missed/dodged from Ooze, this fight is a walk in the park.

Also, Onyxian Whelpling/Spawn of Onyxia can work a bit better against the strider since they have Lift-off (I use Onyxian whelp).
- Taking your candles since 2005

Usaia
Top Rater
Pet Score:2410
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Usaia » February 22nd, 2013, 2:58 am

Badpathing wrote:I have been skipping all dailies other than Panda dailies for tamers. I guess with so much I want to do, and the extra travelling associated with those trainers, I just decided they were not worth the effort.

None-the-less, the broom and phoenix combo sounds fun. Maybe I should park an alt over there or something.
I parked lvl 1 alts on the tamer location of Winterspring, Deadwind Pass, Uldum and Argent tournament grounds. The only one that is not low level alt-friendly is Shadowmoon Valley tamer -- there are 2-3 mobs that attack you before you can engage the tamer. In Deadwind Pass you get killed after the fight but it's no problem as the graveyard is right next to Lydia and you can interact with Lydia without aggroing the mobs. Takes ca 5-10 mins to get the exp and bags from the parked ones.
Aaloe (EU/Draenor)

Lilhottie
Pet Score:2252
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Lilhottie » February 22nd, 2013, 4:31 am

Poofah wrote:
Stencil wrote:One thing about Major Payne is that his is a team that really punishes you for being slower than him.
Definitely this. Try Enchanted Broom (Batter/Sweep/Wind-Up) and Phoenix Hatchling (Burn/Cauterize/Immolation). If you don't start against Grizzle, you can Sweep to get him, then Wind-Up Batter Batter Wind-Up him. Phoenix can handle the mechanopeep and the flower, since being faster nerfs their multi-hit attacks, and you can Cauterize their big hits (Wind-Up or Shock and Awe, and Roots).
Tried tonight and died 5 of 6 times. Broom owns Grizzle and has a little life to do something to another pet. Phoenix Hatchling owns Beakmaster but takes damage. Phoenix can't manage Bloom solo even from almost full health. Broom can't finish either Beak off (to allow for an aquatic to take Bloom), or Bloom (mechanical damage is weak against Elementals so he only has 1 5 round strong attack.)

Even tried to sweep Bloom in to kill him 2nd (with Phoenix Hatchling) and still died. Each battle took ~20 rounds.

What am I missing here?

Molten Hatchling aoeing and tanking Grizzle did it extremely deterministically in 1 battle that lasted 52 rounds.

Cabadath

Post by Cabadath » February 22nd, 2013, 7:13 am

Badpathing wrote:@ Cabadath, for your Zushi strat....man, I cannot get it to work. I am running breed 4 Jade Ooze, and I just cannot live through the 2nd pet. I mean, I can use that comp to 'win' but it feel very very tight...

Strange. I don't think even the RNG gods have bothered me much with this team.

Have you made sure to apply acidic goo first and then corrosion? If you do it the other way around you may experience big problems.

Diamond: Acidic goo, corrosion, absorb, absorb is enough to finish off diamond and leave you with at least 4-500 hp.
Mollus: Acidic goo, pass (because he dives and you would miss anyway), corrosion, absorb until mollus dies. Takes about 3 or 4 absorbs. You will survive with about 500 hp I think.

[quote="Ronkuby"
Why use a breed 8 raven rather than 10? The 10 will have more health and power, and the extra speed of the 8 doesn't help against powerball or while the flying racial is active.[/quote]

My rundown:
Yes, 10 is slightly better than 8. It has 65 more hp and 16 less speed. It does not have more power like you say though. Both have 289 power. In my setup, 65 hp is unimportant, and speed is not an issue either way. It is attack power that matters, ruling out breed 5. Since breed 8 and 10 have the same attack power, I would say that the difference is marginal. If that 65 extra hp would have been important, I wouldn't have used the pet because of lacking reliability. The speed isbprobably wasted on breed 8, but it could play a tactical role (haven't checked).

Thanks for pointing it out though, I might just level a breed 10 just out of principle :).

Cabadath

Post by Cabadath » February 22nd, 2013, 8:53 am

Lilhottie wrote: Tried tonight and died 5 of 6 times. Broom owns Grizzle and has a little life to do something to another pet. Phoenix Hatchling owns Beakmaster but takes damage. Phoenix can't manage Bloom solo even from almost full health. Broom can't finish either Beak off (to allow for an aquatic to take Bloom), or Bloom (mechanical damage is weak against Elementals so he only has 1 5 round strong attack.)

Even tried to sweep Bloom in to kill him 2nd (with Phoenix Hatchling) and still died. Each battle took ~20 rounds.

What am I missing here?
Seems that others have experienced reliability with the setup. Did you perhaps use conflagrate instead of cauterize?

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » February 22nd, 2013, 10:22 am

I just tried the strat this morning. It worked flawlessly.
In fact, it worked so well that I was forced to swap out the Ooze on the last pet just to keep from accidentally soloing the strider with it. At the end, the Ooze was only at 3/4 health and the strider was sitting at around 400 with dots ticking.
You do have to make sure you do the dot order correctly in order to get the maximum 'up time' with increased damage for absorb heals.
ImageImage

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 22nd, 2013, 12:00 pm

Heh, I will try again today. I assure all of you who replied, I am doing the correct order.

Maybe RNG was just kicking me in the nuts *shrug*.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 22nd, 2013, 1:56 pm

Tried again today, same results. I get Mollus to around 1k hp and then my ooze dies.

In this case I got diamond first. Followed the ability order, he died with me at around 1k hp or so. After dive from Mollus we traded absorbs for a few turns, second dive killed me.

Not sure what the deal is, but this just does not work for me..

Tried again, this time got Mollus first. After killing him, Diamond took me out with his first 1-2 combo. Again, following the order exactly, using the correct breed, not missing.

Just not working.

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » February 23rd, 2013, 12:16 am

First, Thanks a ton for this guide, Cabadath. I've altered quite a few of my teams based on this and it's made tamers that annoyed the heck out of me much easier! I even went out, caught and leveled a breed 4 jade ooze just for this and I'm very happy I did. I think today was the least trouble I've ever had on the Fish Guy tamer. :D

Second, I used Lilhottie's suggestion of Molten Hatchling to drain tank and AOE the back row to death on Payne and I have to say I was extremely happy with the results. It's slow but I'm ok with that!
Image Image

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » February 23rd, 2013, 1:35 pm

Badpathing wrote:In this case I got diamond first. Followed the ability order, he died with me at around 1k hp or so. After dive from Mollus we traded absorbs for a few turns, second dive killed me.
This is what happens ~almost with me too. Ooze has less hp tho usually. What happens next is:
  • R1:
    Mollus - Acidic Goo
    My ooze - Acidic Goo

R2:
    Mollus - Dive
    My ooze - Pass turn

R3:
    Mollus - Dive hit (lets assume it hits)
    My ooze - Corrosion

R4:
    Mollus - Absorb
    My ooze - Absorb (Acidid Goo ends)

R5:
    Mollus - Absorb
    My ooze - Absorb (Corrosion ends)

R6:
    Mollus - Acidic Goo
    My ooze - Absorb (Mollus dies)
I can't even remember when I've gotten second dive with that tactic, if something gets missed/dodged, my ooze dies before the Dive. Oh, I don't even really bother to try unless I get Diamond first.
- Taking your candles since 2005

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 23rd, 2013, 3:53 pm

For the record, it worked today. I cannot honestly say I know what the difference is. I did everything exactly the same as the prior few days.

*shrug*

I can say, when it works, it is pretty nice.