1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Susha
Pet Score:1418
Realm:Mok'Nathal-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Susha » February 9th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Festival Lantern or Lunar Lantern

If you normaly play only one faction and are thinking of making a DK to get the opposite lamp, don't do what I did and wait till the last minute. Do it early enough to level the new toon clear to 60 and buy flight training and old world flying. It will make your life much easier when doing opposing cities elders. Particularly for an Ally going to the horde side. As they've removed the boat to Darnassus, if you can't fly you first have to swim across the ocean (and die from fatiuge several times as it affects your ghost too) and then get killed by the guards many, many times. Learned this the hard way. I possibly qualify for title of Queen of corpse-running, but that was the worst one I've ever done. Be smarter than me! :)

Rifkin
MVP
Pet Score:9103
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Rifkin » February 9th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Dark Phoenix Hatchling

This little guy is very handy in a lot of battles when you use immolate and conflagrate, he may not always survive the fight but he does enough damage to allow your other pets to earn the victory :D
Also if you're a bit vain and want to go for a more traditional look the Phoenix Hatchling has these abilities

Baldr
Top Rater
Pet Score:1991
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-us

Post by Baldr » February 9th, 2013, 9:48 pm

A great utility pet is the Worg Pup, it is very effective against the large number of critter pets in the game, a has a large amount of health points, unfortunately the only way to get a rare is to use a stone on it. The Fjord Worg Pup has the same abilities, lower health, but much higher attack and easy to a get a rare version.

Thenameless
Pet Score:7056
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Thenameless » February 9th, 2013, 10:14 pm

chrominius - An all around great pet for leveling low levels and also for beating those pesky Pandaria Tamers or Spirit Tamers. With high health and two possiable healing abilites in ravage and Ancient Blessing he can be force to be reckoned with against most non-humanoid pets. His ability to change damage types between beast and magic damage also gives him a versitily that is not seen in many other battle pets.

Chuggy
Pet Score:1916
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Chuggy » February 9th, 2013, 10:56 pm

Nether Faerie Dragon - Evanescence is great to use on the Darkmoon Monkey Fezwick at Darkmoon Faire to avoid its seemingly limitless Banana Barrage damage along with a heavy hit so that you can get those good hits in to finish it off!

Ryshat
MVP
Pet Score:1960
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ryshat » February 9th, 2013, 11:02 pm

The Armadillo Pup is a guild reward for being Exalted in your guild and completing the Critter Kill Squad achievement by killing 50,000 critter. Yes, 50,000!

To kill that many critters quickly, you need lots of critters grouped close together with a quick respawn.

For those level 40 and up, the best place I found is Terrorweb Tunnel in Eastern Plaguelands (entrance in the upper left cord. 4,35). With hundreds of little creepy crawler critters scurrying about, it's just a matter of running though, using an AOE, multi-shot or some other mass critter killing skill and then returning to the entrance to wash, rinse, repeat. Takes about 10 minutes to clear and you should be able to net at least 1500 critter per hour.

Ranophan
Top Rater
Pet Score:7722
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Ranophan » February 9th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Irradiated Roach

Tired of getting slaughtered by the guards trying to find this one as horde?

Just create a brand new shiny gnome on the random server of your choice and take a peek through the newbie area. There are bound to be a few wandering around and if not simply try another server til you get one. Nice way to pick up your Fluxfire Feline as well. Of course your mileage may vary... that random number generator can be a fickle mistress.

Csara
Top Rater
Pet Score:11407
Realm:Suramar-us

Post by Csara » February 9th, 2013, 11:33 pm

Razzashi Hatchling - a nice way to powerlevel in Valley of the Four Winds

My personal favourite power-levelling strategy:

Use a team consisting of:
  • Razzashi Hatchling (or any other pet with Devour, I just love this guy's looks)
  • a pet with a nice strong flying attack against aquatic (I like to use my Crimson Whelpling for this, as it has a nice heal as well)
  • and, of course, the low level pet of your choice
Head to Valley of the Four Winds, where critters abound, and farm away! Start with the lowbie, swap in the Razzashi Hatchling and kill each critter with Devour. With a three critter group, you should be able to finish the fight with full health on the Hatchling and, if the lowbie levels, full health overall.

If you get unlucky, and get a turtle or otter, or two, use your flying pet to finish them off. Unsurprisingly, you'll find that the aquatic pets are more common the nearer you are to the rivers.

Rengots
MVP
Pet Score:13832
BattleTag®:jamerdean#11833
Realm:Alterac Mountains-us

Post by Rengots » February 10th, 2013, 12:35 am

I love using my Robo-chick, this one is good against aquatic and "mainly" beast. He's my fav for fighting that Nasty, Evil Jeremy Feasel especially when the darkmoon pet master gets a lucky crt on my chick and BOOM he's back from the dead for one more round :D.

-Rengots

Tempestnight
MVP
Pet Score:11559
BattleTag®:Tempest#1262
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Tempestnight » February 10th, 2013, 1:10 am

I have found my favorite pet of all is the beautiful Sprite Darter Hatchling Tho she may not have much life at end level compared to wall like pets like the Emerald Turtle If you use her Moonfire with a few Arcane Blast many pets can be taken down very fast!
And to help out Evanescence fades you into a cloud of mist to get off a free hit

Judel88
Pet Score:1066
Realm:Trollbane-eu

Post by Judel88 » February 10th, 2013, 1:16 am

Minfernal
Scourged Whelpling

If you're having trouble finding one of these rare pets, just make a character on a server that does not participate in cross-realm zones ( such as Earth Ring (EU) server ), preferably a deathknight, since youll start off at 55 and after the starting quests you can get a Minfernal within 15 mins, lvl it up to about 68 and you can go northrend for the Scourged whelpling :)

Saishi
Pet Score:6443
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Saishi » February 10th, 2013, 1:24 am

Cat and Spirebound Crab

I was pleasantly surprised by both of these pets. Cat has great survivability if you can time Devour just right so it becomes the killing blow. Spirebound Crab I use to solo many pet battles and level 2 pets at once. Pop Shell Shield and Renewing Mists and the Snap or Surge depending on the opponent. This does require you to check the pets before hand so you can chose the most affective ability.

Once you have your high level team and are ready to start collecting those pets remember to collect in the high level areas first and work your way backwards through the zones in order to have the highest level pets and as little levelling time as possible. ie, Collect the pets from MoP zones first, then from Cata zones, etc.

Also, work towards your Safari Hat by completing Taming the World, and then don't forget to equip it.

Kwatee
Pet Score:3314
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Kwatee » February 10th, 2013, 1:43 am

Terrible Turnip

The Terrible Turnip is a must have for any battle pet collector's taming team. He secures his home on your taming team with the ability Weakening Blow. This ability is essential in successfully capturing those low level pets without accidentally killing them.

Cheapi
Top Rater
Pet Score:3276
BattleTag®:Cheapi#1262
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Cheapi » February 10th, 2013, 1:55 am

Deathy.

Deathy may not be the most powerful pet but he is the most interesting. While possessing devistating attacks combos such as using Roar to boost the power of your next 3 attacks followed by a Call Darkness to blind and reduce the healing the enemy receives with a 2 round power hammer of Deep Breath, you will smoke some powerful foes. But it's Deathy's belching of smoke rings and breaths of fire that take him 8 feet off the ground that make him the most memorable and loveable pet to ever be introduced into Azeroth.

Behaltermann
Pet Score:679
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Behaltermann » February 10th, 2013, 1:58 am

Found a neat trick for leveling Anubisath Idol, using the ability Reflection. It doesn't seem to matter what level foe you're facing; he will always dodge the first attack and return it with minimal damage if you use Reflection as your very FIRST action. Then, if you immediately pet swap to a higher level pet and then defeat the other pet, Anubisath Idol receives bolstered experience. Other pets with this ability include Flayer Youngling, Mana Wyrmling, Shimmering Wyrmling, and Soul of the Aspects.

Papadoc
Pet Score:5657
Realm:Eonar-us

Post by Papadoc » February 10th, 2013, 2:20 am

I love my Clockwork gnome for lvling new pets with. It has a great heal in repair that easily allows it to heal itself through 8 minutes worth of pet battles while you are waiting for the healing cooldown to finish.

[pet]Lil' xt[/pet], [pet]landros lil' xt[/pet], personal world destroyer,anodized robo cub all share this ability.
Last edited by Papadoc on February 10th, 2013, 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rorybear
Pet Score:3957
BattleTag®:Rorybear#1957
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Rorybear » February 10th, 2013, 2:24 am

Mini Diablo

This pet along with Panda Cub and including Zergling became the inspiration/gateway pets of many to start pet collecting in 2004. The true vanity player saved their limited bag and bank space to keep pet containers readily available to brighten everyone's game play.

Shankly
Pet Score:3007
Realm:Stormreaver-eu

Post by Shankly » February 10th, 2013, 2:47 am

If you still haven't got your Scourged Whelpling, try searching for it around the time the server restarted on maintenance day. They seem to respawn every 24hrs following the server restart so even if you couldnt log on right away on Tuesday/Wednesday, they should still respawn at that time on the weekend. Of course, its a bit of a guessing game to know the right time. I got lucky one Thursday at about 9:30am.

And for the Minfernal, and just about any other rare pet without special spawning conditions, killing/despawning all the other pets in the zone will increase the chances of the rare pet spawning.

Navimie
MVP
Pet Score:9445
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Navimie » February 10th, 2013, 2:55 am

One of my earliest pets, that saved me a lot was Gregarious Grell. He was quite unique before 5.1 (when Corefire Imp appeared), and his Phase Shift and Cauterise have saved me countless times and were turning points in a lot of my battles. These days, the poor guy has been left on the wayside a little due to all the new exciting (and some very strong pets) but he is one true fighter!