1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Arximed
Pet Score:4197
Realm:Frostmane-eu
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Arximed » February 8th, 2013, 4:21 am

Dragon Kite

I won the pet from BMAH after some nice bid battle. It's still in my bag. I hope when Bliz implements epic battle pets all pets that are epic before learning like Dragon Kite, Hippogryph Hatchling and so on, when learned will be epic again :)

Dawayn
MVP
Pet Score:4305
BattleTag®:Dawayn#2413
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Dawayn » February 8th, 2013, 4:34 am

Defeat that annoying pets of Nishi while sipping a cup of coffee!

Make a team of:
- Emerald Turtle
Use his Grasp, Healing wave and Headbutt abilities, all others are sort of useless against Siren, since she does hardly any damage. So just Headbutt and Grasp her, and after (finally) killing her, heal yourself for the Turnip. You can then either finish that battle with the turtle, or switch to the whelk. Let the Whelk dive immediately and enjoy the effect :)

- Clockwork Gnome. Very good against Mothran.
Use his Metal Fist, Repair and Launch Rocket abilities. First build the Rocket, and then repair yourself. Launch the rocket, build and launch. Hopefully this won't miss, else finish of with your fists.

- and a lower level pet you wish to level, but I love my Rapana Whelk and always have him as third pet for the unlikely event he needs to clean up the mess. Use him against one of the two elementals, use any combination of his skills, for fast kills use his dps abilities, but for some fun, and to try and let him solo all of the opponents, use Dive and Absorb and see how far you get.

I was able to solo all of Nishi's pets with the Emerald Turtle only, but it took ages to finish :)

Happy battling!

Lagrima
Pet Score:4268
BattleTag®:luisuari#1414
Realm:Minahonda-eu

Post by Lagrima » February 8th, 2013, 4:51 am

Clockwork-gnome - Combine his build-turret with any pet that has the plagued-blood ability. Cast plagued blood first, then swap in the Clockwork Gnome. You'll notice a massive self-healing for several turns.

Tarngath
Pet Score:2695
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Tarngath » February 8th, 2013, 4:57 am

This is a combo I find to be sometimes slow but easily stomps most things flat.

Start out with Terrible Turnip and cast it's Inspiring Song. This heals any left over damage from the previous fight.

Swap to Emperor Crab and castRenewing Mists and then finally swap to

Flayer Youngling and just beat stuff up for 3 rounds. Repeat.

Can be slow but I find I can drop any random pets with 95% health and can do the same for most trainers.

Krovikan
Top Rater
Pet Score:11800
Realm:Minahonda-eu

Post by Krovikan » February 8th, 2013, 4:59 am

[pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet]

The best open (for me) with this pet is:

First: Flamethrower

Second: Conflagrate

Is a bestial amount of damage. Beware with abilitys of the opponent to not use in vain Conflagrate due to its 4 rounds of cd.

Good luck.

Zarkolomej
Pet Score:4475
Realm:Kazzak-eu

Post by Zarkolomej » February 8th, 2013, 5:21 am

Scourged Whelpling
Cought mine yesterday, and i'm going to share trick that i found usefull. Make dk on empty realm (my suggestion would be pvprp empty), finish the starting quests, get on boat/zeppelin to Northland, fly to Dalaran and talk to argent dawn guy on landing pad to take you to sindragosa's fall. Worked like a charm for me, hopefully it will work for you guys aswell :) (same tactics can be used for minfernals and other rare spawns).
Edit: I used same dk to get my kirin tor familiar.

Avarre
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Avarre » February 8th, 2013, 5:28 am

Soul of the Aspects

This is one great looking pet, if you are having troubles with the Pandaren Water Spirit, try this out!
Your team will comprise of your carry (preferably lvl 15 or so) and Soul of Aspects together with Flayer Youngling.

Turn 1 - Start off with Flayer Youngling
~ If you face Marley, use reflect to reflect the whirlpool back at him
~ If you face Tiptoe 1st, use Rampage(3rd button) to get him down, use Triple Snap(1st button) to finish him off if he isnt dead, then follow the above step to reflect whirlpool back at Marley after killing Tiptoe.

After u reflect the whirlpool, switch to Aspects, Marley will do a dive, on the turn you can react, reflect the dive back at Marley. (Marley will then turn damage from Dive and then Whirlpool on the following turn)
Use Surge of Light(3rd button) for a chance to stun Marley. Marley should be near dead at this point. (Use Claw for 1st button for Aspects should u need to face off against Tiptoe)

After Marley is dead, swop in your Carry for one turn(Must watch out for any residual whirlpools from Marley). At this point u can either choose to use either Flayer or Aspects(whichever has more HP left ) .

On his 1st turn the Flowing Pandaren Spirit would usually cast Geyser, and on 2nd turn he would cast Whirlpool. Do not reflect his abilities during these 2 turns BUT continue to beat upon him. On the turn where u notice there is one turn left on the Whirlpool and Geyser debuff, use reflection. His Tidal Wave, Whirlpool and Geyser will all miss your pet. Either the Geyser or Whirlpool would be reflected upon him. Continue beating on him for 1-2 turns and your carry can reap all the experience for himself.

This method works better for Magical pets since they take less damage from Tidal Wave. But you can carry lower level pets as long as you kill the enemies as fast as you can.

Licus
Pet Score:3550
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Licus » February 8th, 2013, 5:36 am

Molten Hatchling

This guy has some potential imho as a good critter and mechanical gnome counter. Magma wave will clear away turrets and other annoying constructs such as decoy. It also has leech life as well as two different web abilities so the pet has some nice self synergy. with the right breed, this pet can be a major self healer.

As a beast with elemental abilities along with cauterize, it stands out amongst most other beast. It might not be a fluxfire feline, but it is not likely to be a pet people see coming.

Leowulf
Pet Score:4114
Realm:Balnazzar-eu

Post by Leowulf » February 8th, 2013, 5:46 am

Porcupette

Bored to tears with farming dailies for this rare-drop critter and can't find it on your server's Auction House? Well remember that pets are now account-wide, so plant toons on other servers to watch the Auction Houses (on both factions, since a pet learned by a Horde alt is now useable by Alliance alts and vice-versa) - find it, buy it, learn it, log your main and summon!

Now your thinking, 'How am I going to pay for it?!' Well remember that duplicate rare drop pet you found on a low population server that no one wants to buy off you? Relearn it, then Put in Cage on a high pop server alt, stick it on the AH and watch the pet collectors come throwing their money at you! Even buy cheap pets on one server and sell them for triple the price elsewhere - just make sure the cash ends up on the right toon so you can buy your Porcupette!

Oldesoul
Pet Score:2283
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Oldesoul » February 8th, 2013, 5:54 am

How to get a Scourged Whelpling in the EU.

(This advice can also be followed for getting a Minfernal, Giraffe Calf, etc.)

Gotta love account-wide pet collections!

If you're playing in the EU, this pet can be easily acquired by visiting the low-population, CRZ-free realm of Shen'dralar. Simply log into the game, select the option to Change Realm at the top of your character selection screen, and head on over to the Spanish realms.

This can be done with a level 1 character, or if you intend to hunt some other rare pets here, I'd suggest you create a Death Knight. (It takes approximately 2 hours to get out of the DK starting zone, but can save you a huge amount of time in the long run when it comes to finding rare "rares".)

All you need is 1 gold for the flight from your Northrend landing site to Dalaran. Once in Dalaran, even a level 1 character can get a free flight (and learn the flight path) to the Argent Tournament grounds by speaking to the tournament representative close to where you've landed. Getting the 1 gold is easy if you've created a DK, but a level 1 character can do it too. (Complete some quests until you have enough silver to pay for the deposit to auction off some pets.)

Once you've reached the Argent Tournament grounds, run south towards Sindragosa's Fall. There are quite a few whelplings that are quite far away from any nasty high level mobs. Also check Silent Vigil (where the graveyard is). The first few that you battle will re-spawn! If you've still not managed to snag your rare, do a death run. Head south through the mobs, and once you're past them you will find another 3-4 unguarded whelplings.

Good luck!

P.S. - If you've now got some spare gold on this realm, you can help your friends get their Whelpling too! Have them create a level 1 character here and give them the 1 gold for the Dalaran flight.

Darky28
Top Rater
Pet Score:3929
BattleTag®:Darky#1885
Realm:Dragonmaw-us

Post by Darky28 » February 8th, 2013, 6:03 am

One pet I absolutely adore is Egbert. When you have him in your battle team and engaging a pet battle, sometimes you see Egbert run off in the far distance. He runs so far that he gets out of the phased area :D
For me this is hilarous every time.

Greets

Warla

Magro
Pet Score:2268
Realm:Garona-us

Post by Magro » February 8th, 2013, 6:10 am

Eternal Strider Great pet for Farmer Nishi fights when leveling lower levels. Use the Strider at max level using the Pump ability. Kills Elementals quickly.

Yamahako
Top Rater
Pet Score:1909
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Yamahako » February 8th, 2013, 6:20 am

My favorite pet is Shimmershell Snail. He's an amazing battle pet with one of the highest possible health pools, and a super great move set. He works as a great tank with a life steal ability, a damage reduction ability, and an evasive 2 round attack ability. But also has a super diverse range of damage dealing moves (Undead, Magic, Beast, Aquatic, and Critter).

The pet has three different versions of stats, so getting the right one can be difficult. They aren't super fast spawners which means you can get rid of all of them fairly quickly without finding the right breed rare, but they spawn in a low level area, so it doesn't take much work to make alts on different servers to check out the shores. They aren't super highly contested, so its more of a numbers game than a try to beat other people to the spawns.

I named mine Gary, because I'm super original.

Usaia
Top Rater
Pet Score:2410
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Usaia » February 8th, 2013, 6:32 am

I like Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog a lot. It's easy to get, it's captured at high level so does not need much leveling and it's the only frog that comes with breed 4 (P/P). It's among one of the pets where breed matters a lot - get anything else but breed 4 and this frog loses it's magic.

Water Jet, Cleansing Rain that gives +25% additional aquatic damage and Frog Kiss that has 25% chance to stun works wonders in most PVE fights. It is also good in leveling other pets, just swap Cleansing Rain with Healing Wave so you don't have to use bandages or healing after every second fight.
Last edited by Usaia on February 8th, 2013, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaloe (EU/Draenor)

Dragonsam
Pet Score:3535
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Dragonsam » February 8th, 2013, 6:35 am

Using the Darkmoon Tonk , when you're in a dire situation and near death use ion cannon and when the enemy attacks and kills you , you revive and give off one last huge burst of damage.

Alatoth
Pet Score:3418
Realm:Vek'nilash-eu

Post by Alatoth » February 8th, 2013, 6:44 am

Anubisath Idol

By far the best pet and my total fave. Grab it after soloing AQ40 with my rogue. This pet is amazing, not only because its mirror attack is useful if you wanna farm earth elemental but also his demolish attack (when you are succesful) is a must when fighting beast pets.

Assessina
Pet Score:1346
Realm:Vek'nilash-eu

Post by Assessina » February 8th, 2013, 6:56 am

Anodized Robo Cub

after countless battles manage to get a stone to make my Cub to a rare and now it is one of my fave pets to battle against critters. his mechanical ability is amazing.

helped me beat Master trainer Major Payne

Huggut
Top Rater
Pet Score:5561
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Huggut » February 8th, 2013, 7:01 am

Terrible Turnip

is by far the best companion for collecting rare battle pets in Azeroth.

His Weakening Blow ability will never bring the pet you want to collect below 1 Health Point.

If your Trap misses and you are losing health he also has the Inspiring Song ability to restore your Turnip's health and that of your team.

He's one Turnip you cannot live without!

Yazhi
MVP
Pet Score:4810
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Yazhi » February 8th, 2013, 7:11 am

For an easy way to get a Harpy Youngling especially a rare, try making a char on a low population server or even have a friend on a different realm invite you over to theirs! I did this and it was full of Harpy's my first being a rare! At such a low level zone it's really easy to get a new char there :)

Spug
Pet Score:5180
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Spug » February 8th, 2013, 7:16 am

[pet]Lil' Xt[/pet]

This pet's Heartbroken ability coupled with Tympanic Tantrum is VERY useful to clobber all trainer's pets when the opponent has a beast on their team. It's especially useful vs Mo'ruk, the Krasarang trainer near Nat Pagel, whose first pet is usually Woodcarver and the extra damage taken to activate the ability is only versus the small dot, Acidic Goo, that he applies. Cheers!