1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Isaacm
Pet Score:2017
Realm:Outland-eu
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Isaacm » February 15th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Harpy Youngling

This amazing looking pet can be difficult to obtain, but I've got the trick for you! Try nuking/killing all the critters and pets in the area where they spawn and they are bound to show up MUCH sooner! :) This is one of my favorite pets, for sure!

Dodes
Top Rater
Pet Score:2931
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Dodes » February 15th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Find and level counter-pets as soon as you are able to. Counter pets are pets that are strong both offensively and defensively against a given type. For instance, Elemental gets a boost when it attacks mechanical and it is strong against mechanical attacks. This is my list:

Aquatic: Jade Owl (magic with flying attacks)
Beast: Nether Ray Fry (not perfect counter pet but it has a strong defense and works against MANY types)
Critter: Kun-Lai Runt (humanoid with beast attacks)
Dragonkin: Scourged Whelpling (undead with humanoid attacks)
Elemental: Silkbead Snail (critter with an aquatic attack)
Flying: Nether Sprite Dragon (dragonkin with magic attacks)
Humanoid: Devouring Maggot (beast with an undead attack)
Magic: Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling (mechanical with a dragonkin attack)
Mechanical: Lil' Ragnaros (Any elemental with elemental attacks will work)
Undead: Leopard Tree Frog (aquatic with critter attacks)

No tamer daily is too difficult if you have and use the right counter-pets against them, but if you do not have the right pet a few along the way might be tough enough to discourage you from becoming the pet collector you were born to be!

Phy

Post by Phy » February 15th, 2013, 5:05 pm

The Terrible Turnip is excellent for not killing a pet you want to capture by using the Weakening Blow ability.

Nerraw
Pet Score:2904
Realm:Dragonmaw-eu

Post by Nerraw » February 15th, 2013, 5:14 pm

Mini Thor - This guy is pretty awesome. His health pool, combined with the fact that he's Mechanical (he revives when dying once per battle), gives him quite the advantage in terms of durability. His abilities are also pretty solid. Minefield is excellent against opponents with several pets, and Sticky Grenade can do a lot of damage if you're in for the long haul. Their alternatives are also quite good, with Toxic Smoke being a decent DoT and Launch Rocket being able to do a lot of damage in a shorter timeframe than the grenade.

The only weak ability on this dude is in my opinion the Batter ability. Due to the Thor's lack of speed, you will not be faster than your opponent for the majority of battles, making the Missile the safer option.

But overall, if you're lacking a tank in your pet team, this one is a safe option.

Luthien
Top Rater
Pet Score:11936
Realm:Goldrinn-us

Post by Luthien » February 15th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Anubisath Idol

It´s a great pet, but can be a little annoying to get. In order to solo the twins you need to aggro them and go to a corner near the stairs, choose the one that you can hit (one is imunne to magic, the other to physical dmg) and hit hard. Don´t change your target, but use some AoE if you can. In that position they can´t nuke you away and if they change places won´t make any difference.
Just a reminder: You need to hit both of them (at least once) or you won´t be able to loot one of the twins.

Teretina

Post by Teretina » February 15th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Nordrasil Wisp http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/ma ... ssil-wisp/

Does great damage after using Dark Whelpling's "Call Darkness" Spell.

Be sure to have (Light) as your 1st ability, as it isn't the default.

(Actually found this on accident, but worked out really well! Just sucks that Light has a 3-round cooldown. I usually use that time to Arcane Explosion, so you're hitting all pets while you wait!)

Kalaranax
Pet Score:3918
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Kalaranax » February 15th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Crimson Whelpling

One of my core trio pets, the crimson whelpling (whom I named Rheastrasza in honor of the memory of Rheastrasza's lost egg/child she sacrificed to save Wrathion i.e. Rhea of the Badlands) has lift-off which although is a great attack (when it hits) but is a better defensive move to avoid many numerous "land mine"-like abilities. Using lift-off with healing flame gives the crimson whelpling a lot of survivability in pve and pvp pet battles. :D

Kalaranax

Lethe
Pet Score:6170
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Lethe » February 15th, 2013, 5:33 pm

Flayer Youngling - I had a very difficult time defeating the Pandaren Spirit Tamers, especially the Thundering Pandaren Spirit. In the end I found Flayer Youngling to be invaluable. I always lead with the Flayer Youngling, using Reflection immediately if the elemental pet is first, otherwise I use Rampage and Triple Snap to defeat Sludgy. I then use the Aqua Strider's Water Jet, Healing Wave and Pump, to defeat the elemental, and finally [pet]Lil' XT[/pet], using Zap and XE-321 Boombot to defeat the rat. I still find it a hard fight, and I know I'm going to have to change my team and perhaps my strategy after 5.2!
Last edited by Lethe on February 15th, 2013, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malanade
Top Rater
Pet Score:7203
BattleTag®:Malanade#1295
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Malanade » February 15th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Jade Tentacle

Please, for the love of the Light, please do not use this pet to harass the critters and pets in the surrounding area! But by all means, using it's unique mode of transportation to startle that certain party member who just can't seem to pay attention.. With well placed footing, the Jade Tentacle will be sure to pop out under their feet and scare the living daylights out of them!

Disclaimer, do not use to scare gnomes, it may send them flying.

Fiala
Pet Score:7403
BattleTag®:Fiala#1993
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Fiala » February 15th, 2013, 5:42 pm

Two of my favorites are Fluxfire Feline and Darkmoon Rabbit. The Fluxfire Feline is super powerful as a 2-3 turn KO. Especially if you need to pop a strong Beast. Wind-Up, Supercharge, Wind-Up, against those with higher health, Wind-Up, Wind-Up for those with lower.

As for the Darkmoon Rabbit, I use Huge, Sharp Teeth, with Dodge and Burrow. Decent DoT damage (thats Beast damage from a critter!) and lets you dance around lots of incoming damage!

Euphyley
Pet Score:4094
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Euphyley » February 15th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Emerald Proto-Whelp (I LOVE this pet) :D

This guy is my go-to pet for power-leveling other pets. I generally use him and another appropriate pet (depending on what I'm fighting) to move all of my low level pets up in level by fighting trainers around the world. He can take out pretty much anything the trainers in Pandaria can dish out. (Especially flying pets.)

He can actually (quite easily) solo the whispering Pandaren Spirit. He doesn't hit hard against any of the pets that that trainer has, but every single pet this trainer has hits weak against the welp. None of his pets ever come close to killing the proto whelp, so long as you keep up Emerald Presence and use Emerald Dream before his health gets too low.

Oh Emerald Proto-Whelp, what did I ever do without you?

Masterchieffloyd
Pet Score:2440
Realm:Deathwing-us

Post by Masterchieffloyd » February 15th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Combining long duration dots with [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet] Sons of the Flame can kill off other pets without having yours be exposed to damage.

Tlatlicue
Pet Score:888
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Post by Tlatlicue » February 15th, 2013, 6:01 pm

I started leveling my Azure Whelpling because he matched my troll's hair. However he is a very good pet to use in pet battles in which you want to capture a pet or if you want to do trainer battles. I usually start with Arcane Storm this guarantees that the other two pets that are waiting to fight get damage, then I use Surge of Power followed by Claw until I am able to use arcane storm and surge of power if it is necessary. All in all i really think the Azure Whelping is a great pet, not only does it look very classy in his azure colour tuxedo but he is a great fighting pet.
Last edited by Tlatlicue on February 15th, 2013, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Throatslit
MVP
Pet Score:13129
Realm:Nagrand-us

Post by Throatslit » February 15th, 2013, 6:02 pm

[pet]L'il Ragnaros[/pet]

Always be on the lookout for opposition pets using evasive maneuvres (Like Moth Balls or Burrow)before using Conflagrate. Use something like Sulfuras Smash whilst the other pet is flying or burrowing, or else all the extra bonus damage (due to striking with Conflagrate whilst the opposition is burning) will go to waste and you will have to wait out the cooldown.

Atuna
Pet Score:788
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Atuna » February 15th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Onyxian Whelpling is a great pet due to its ability to heal itself using Healing Flame. Didn't get this pet while it was still in the game? No problem! Spawn of Onyxia is practically the same pet and is tamable in dustwallow marsh!

Yavial
Pet Score:1139
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Yavial » February 15th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Squirrel

I really like this guy for his Nut Barrage ability. It's a nice way to add some more damage each round.

Quil2
Pet Score:3642
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Quil2 » February 15th, 2013, 6:09 pm

Sporeling Sprout:

This pet makes an excellent 'tank'. The crouch ability is great when you know a big hit is incoming. Combined with Leech Seed and the humanoid passive that restores 4 percent health per hit, you can often out last and wear down stronger opponents!

Aalma
Pet Score:2891
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Aalma » February 15th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Amethyst Shale Hatchling, Emerald Shale Hatchling, and Crimson Shale Hatchling are great for collecting wild critters! Use Sticky Web then Leech Life to quickly bring down the critters health and keep your Hatchling's health up. (Keep Stoneskin on reserve for those tough or high level critters.) With this rotation, I've taken down teams of 3 without ever having to switch out to another pet! :D Happy Collecting! ;)

Steeldragon
Pet Score:1983
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Post by Steeldragon » February 15th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Onyxian Whelpling (and its capturable counterpart Spawn of Onyxia is a strong pet to use in the Darkmoon Pet Battle against Judgment the Darkmoon Eye. It's slow speed allows it to fully utilize Tail Sweep and keep itself alive with Healing Flame.

Kriss

Post by Kriss » February 15th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Ethereal Soul-Trader has a nice ability Life Exchange at level 20. This pet sells on ebay and amazon around 180.00 USD+/- but I noticed that Nether Faerie Dragon and Sprite Darter Hatchling have the same ability at level 15 so try these and save some money. I must admit that I do get lots of whisps about how nice the Ethereal Soul-Trader looks.
Restless Shadeling and/or Shore Crab are the pets I use for leveling lowbies. Restless Shadeling has the Plagued Blood and Death Coil to help with healing and Shore Crab has two healing options Renewing Mists for the team and Healing Wave for self heals.
My favorite places for leveling have been Uldum in the area with the columns behind the building where I port in 53.07, 29.21 and Vale of Eternal Blossom close to the Pet Daily quest giver 68.79, 44.48. These locations are close to pet healers have decent respawn times and no bad guys attacking me. Just a note-I do not level my pets on a pvp server.