1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Dreamfinder
MVP
Pet Score:2060
Realm:Drak'thul-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Dreamfinder » February 15th, 2013, 10:26 am

Feline Familiar - With both Stoneskin and Devour, it can end a fight with 100% health (especially against critters). Stoneskin also protects against poisons, and devour is a beast ability, making this the ultimate critter killer. Onyx Bite, the primary attack, is good against flying pets.

Larimar
MVP
Pet Score:7634
Realm:Nagrand-us

Post by Larimar » February 15th, 2013, 10:27 am

Renewing Mists and Shell Shield

This is one of the greatest defensive combo in the pet battle world!

By using these two abilities together your pet can either massively reduce the damage taken (IE: Bleat or Headbutt) or in some cases fully negate an opponent’s attack(IE: Swarm or Build Turret).

So which pets have this great combo – The crab family:

Emperor Crab, Shore Crab, Strand Crab, Spirebound Crab, Strand Crawler and Shore Crawler.

Use in Combat:

Renewing Mists
Lasts 3 rounds

Can be cast the next round after Renewing Mists finished. The heal will happen once the spell is cast.

Shell Shield
Lasts 5 rounds

You should always refresh your Shell Shield when there is a single round left on the Shell Shield buff.

When starting combat I prefer to cast Renewing Mist Prior to Shell Shield . As the fight goes on the round you need to refresh the spells works out better and you shouldn’t have an issue always keeping both buffs ups.
Sample.jpg
Sample.jpg (27.54KiB)Viewed 9370 times
Tip: You can refresh the spells early if your opponent Dive/Burrow/Lift-Off (or uses other similar abilities)

Warning: You are unable to stack Renewing Mists, so if decide to use two pets with this ability make sure the weaker Renewing Mists has finished before reapplying otherwise it will reapply the weaker spell.

Numbers:

How much healing Renewing Mists will do and Shell Shield will absorb depends on the breed of your Crab.

There are 4 available [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/breeds/]breeds[/url] of the Crab Families in the world:
Shell-Shield.jpg
Shell-Shield.jpg (62.99KiB)Viewed 9370 times

Ephemeria
Pet Score:3441
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Post by Ephemeria » February 15th, 2013, 11:18 am

Ode to Fluxy

An engineering masterpiece of gears and cranks and steam
this cute Fluxfire Feline has the sharpest claws you've seen.
Give him two rounds to shift gears and a third round to kill,
pair him with Anubisath Idol and freely impose your will.

Anub's nasty Sandstorm mitigates enough damage to relieve
poor fragile flux's low health, thus enabling him to achieve
An easy kill with his massive 1800 hits
leaving opponents pet's parts to explode into bloody little bits.

But Blizzy saw the power was simply way too much
so they will clip his claws in 5.2 with a blasted nerflike touch.
So go fetch yours now, outside Gnomeregan, and use him while you can.
His dominance is fleeting, like soft butter in a pan.

KillerCaitie
Pet Score:2884
Realm:Borean Tundra-us

Post by KillerCaitie » February 15th, 2013, 11:34 am

Today, I shall share with you all the ancient incantation of poetic pleading!

Frigid Frostling mini pet,
Why have you not dropped for me yet?
Look at my toon and upon inspection,
You'll see him missing from my collection.
This lack of pet causes such depression,
I need him for my mini pet obsession.
Ahune, why must you torment me so?
Three shots down, twelve more to go.
I only have two weeks a year,
With each flower filled bag I start to fear.
This is my fifth Midsummer season,
So is a lucky drop so out of reason?
I'm losing hope, it's starting to slip,
Will I ever get to loot the Ice Chip?

Saz
Top Rater
Pet Score:8583
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Saz » February 15th, 2013, 11:54 am

Scourged Whelpling

Trying to find one of these little guys can be the bane of your existence. There's a theory out there that these guys will spawn shortly after a CRZ (cross-realm zone) restart, though it doesn't always seem to be the case. The Scourged Whelplings however do seem to be on a 24 hour respawn timer. Assuming that you're in touch with other farmers from either your realm, or even other realms, who have recently managed to capture theirs, you may use this information to your advantage. Your friend Polly caught her Scourged Whelpling at 2pm on a Friday? Log in just before 2pm on Saturday to see if you can get lucky yourself!

Spawn time tactics such as this can work for many of the mass/rare spawn pets. Keep in mind however, if your friend is on another realm, you will have to take into account their CRZ time. If Polly is on an Eastern Time server/CRZ while you're on a Central server, you'll have to be on when it's 2pm for Polly (assuming you're grouping with Polly to get pulled over to her realm), which would be 1pm for you.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Gwrgwir

Post by Gwrgwir » February 15th, 2013, 12:40 pm

When farming for http://www.warcraftpets.com/go.asp?pet=Tiny-Bog-Beast, and you've cleared the location such that none are currently spawned - you can fly to the circle of outer binding in Arathi and kill http://www.warcraftpets.com/go.asp?pet=Tiny-Twister.

By the time you've cleared a few Tiny Twisters, the Tiny Bog Beast should be respawned.

Vaettir
Pet Score:8579
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Vaettir » February 15th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Sporeling Sprout - It maybe not one of the more obvious choices as a humanoid pet with the highly popular Anubisath Idol and Flayer Youngling as options, but he has been a very strong member of my team leveling up to 25. The combination of the his Crouch ability to avoid large chunks of damage, Leech Seed to both heal up and damage the opponent and the humanoid passive (ability to recover 4% of their maximum health every time they attack) add up to a very formidable ability to stay alive. The Sporeling Sprout also has the ability to use a 4 round DOT, Creeping Fungus, instead of Leech Seed. While not as apparent as the indicated healing of Leech Seed, Creeping Fungus can also be helpful in healing by infecting the target and then switching your Sporeling to the back. He will avoid any direct damage and will continue to heal as the Creeping Fungus continues to put out damage. I am using breed 8 as it puts out decent damage and will be faster than a number of other pets that you run across. That extra speed has made a huge difference in allowing him to take out a target first, get a free heal and be ready for the next pet. The speed also allows him to put up Crouch first before the damage comes in for that round.

Spergo
Pet Score:1357

Post by Spergo » February 15th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Fluxfire feline
This pet is freaking op (it will gets nerfed in 5.2) just use wind-up-supercharge-wind-up to one-shot any pet.

Dalikskywing

Post by Dalikskywing » February 15th, 2013, 12:59 pm

Feline Familiar

With Pounce, Stoneskin, and Devour you can solo pretty much everything there. Stoneskin will help mitigates damages while Devour will recover your health.

The one thing it can't do is shield very low level pets, so you may want to bring along a Darkmoon Zeppelin or a Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, both of which have Decoy.

Mattpashia

Post by Mattpashia » February 15th, 2013, 1:02 pm

The first pet I leveled was [pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet] and I'm really glad I did. He's a fun little guy! And when paired with the Pandaren Monk they are a dynamic duo! Deathwing has a high damage + stun ability already, in his Elementium Bolt ability. He also has a high damage weather effect that causes blindness in Call Darkness. The monk has an ability that is a pretty high damage + stun when a target is blinded in Fury of 1000 Fists. Then you use his double-damage when target is stunned ability Takedown. This may not be the best combination out there, but I'm definitely having fun with it :) I hope some of you will too!

Xiie
Top Rater
Pet Score:4705
Realm:Xavius-eu

Post by Xiie » February 15th, 2013, 1:20 pm

Darkmoon Hatchling

This pet has two abilities which are affected by your opponent's max health: Trample and Predatory Strike. Combine these with a pet that casts Sunlight, increasing all pet health by 50%, and you will do a lot more damage.

Grimstone
Pet Score:7820
Realm:Khaz'goroth-eu

Post by Grimstone » February 15th, 2013, 1:41 pm

The single most valuable tip: Always look before a battle what pets you got selected and if they are still alive! Nothing is more teeth-grinding than realizing that you cannot catch that rare Minfernal because a lvl4 Toxic Wasteling is the only pet (half) alive :-(

Fenril
MVP
Pet Score:6549
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Fenril » February 15th, 2013, 2:31 pm

This works for the Spirit tamer in MoP called Whisper Pandaren Spirit in Jade Forest at loc 28,36.

I start off using the Nordrassil Wisp (RARE) since it has one of the fastest pets you can own and it will go first against a lot of pets.

Now starting the fight off aginst the Moth named Dusty and I use my shield or first spell called Soul Ward and when they cast the spell Moth Dust, it is blocked 100% of the time.

The second round starts and I am going first as usual and I cast a blind called Flash , that will blind the Moth 50% of the time and on the second turn they will cast Cocoon Strike awhich will miss 50-100% of the time depending on your RNG and when you time to cast, use Beam which will be blocked 100% of the time but that is ok.

The third round the Moth is still blinded by Flash and will cast Moth Balls that will miss your pet 100% of the time. So this is pretty much a free round for you to use the Beam that will do around 240-260 damage and even 350+ if it crits.

Then rinse and repeat the above steps. The fight might last 20 or so rounds at times, but if blind hits and it does 98% of the time you are always getting a free hit in at least 1 to 2 times per round. There has been times my (RARE) Nordrassil Wisp has beaten both Spirit tamer pets the Moth (Dusty) and second pet that comes in called Whispertail.

By the time the third tamer pet gets in this fight is cake or even if your Nordrassil Wisp does die on the second pet as long as you always start off with a block/blind/damage, it make any of these fights easy as pie.

This is in my opinion the hardest of the spirit tamers more so when you get to the last pet and I had some fights where he has taken out 1 1/2 of my pets just by himself if you get some bad luck with the RNG and miss/dodge a few times.

The blind or Flash on this Nordrassil Wisp is so awesome, combind with the speed which makes your pet go first 100% of the time and using the Flash when it is up, there has been a lot of times that I have killed at least one and sometimes two of the tamers pets and recieved NO Damage to my Nordrassil Wisp!!!

Try the Nordrassil Wisp and you will fall in love with its speed, Soul Ward and Flash. I also use this on the Spirit tamer in Kal-Lai Summit at 64, 93 called the Thundering Pandaren Spirit starting out against the Pandaren Earth Spirit.

**************NOTE***********

This has changed since 5.2 patch was released and the wisp doesn't even do 1/4 of what was stated above, so sorry for the change.

**************NOTE***********
Last edited by Guest on March 5th, 2013, 9:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kelijar
Pet Score:795
Realm:Xavius-eu

Post by Kelijar » February 15th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Comment on Muckbreath, Toothy, Chuck and Snarly:

Look out for other abilities that benefit from the Rip bleed effect. For example, all the crocolisks have Blood in the Water, and all bears have Maul.

Terume
Top Rater
Pet Score:12502
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Terume » February 15th, 2013, 3:24 pm

When wanting to use your tanky pet soon (and if the opposing pets allow), have a pet that can use Sunlight. With 50% of their health added on for 9 rounds, your tanks can be unstoppable!

Pebble has the most health in my menagerie, but I often use the [pet]Wanderer's Festival Hatchling[/pet] so I can heal up and take full advantage of the extra health. Tons of damage with Pump, tanky and a heal - what could be better?

Sefera
Pet Score:2957
Realm:Bloodhoof-us

Post by Sefera » February 15th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Tips for getting an Aqua Strider
Killing [npc=]Nalash Verdantis[/npc] can be a bit tricky if you're an under-geared lowbie. Have a spell interrupt that can be used on his Torrent ability and a stun or knockback to use on his Rain Dance once he begins to channel. If you can stop both these powerful spells, the fight is pretty easy and all you need is a bit of luck that he'll drop your companion.

Post by Guest » February 15th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Nether Faerie Dragon is one of my favorite "utility pets" for leveling up other pets in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. With its Slicing Wind, Moonfire and Arcane Blast, it works well against flying and aquatic foes, the only types found there. Paired with another level 25, it will help you level your low levels pets to 25 with ease, as battle-able pets, such as the flocks of eternal striders found near both Shrines, are abundant and respawn quickly there. Plus it looks pretty :D

Angryangra
Pet Score:2721
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Angryangra » February 15th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Speedy is my all-time favourite pet. He was my pet even before you could battle with pets, because he is always so happy and CUTE! His ability Shell Shield is very handy to counter abilities that do little damage, but several times in a row, like the aftermath of Stampede.

<3 Speedy!

Nauana
Pet Score:5814
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Post by Nauana » February 15th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Is anyone else ever annoyed by those battles where the first two enemy pets are fairly easy to kill, but the last one ends up kicking your butt because they have some big devastating attack or really effective heal spells?

Chrominius Is your answer!

This strategy works like a charm for me every time (please note, this is not an effective strategy if the FIRST pet in the trio you go up against is a big meanie - you need to live through a number of hits to make this viable. This only works if the *last* pet you fight is the doozy).

Your primary attack will be his Arcane Explosion. While it certainly isn't the fastest way to kill the pet you are currently facing, the backline damage really starts to add up after a few rounds.

You must include Ancient Blessing in your ability set. Obviously timing matters for the first time you use it - you don't want to pop it early and waste healing, but you want to use it as early as possible *without wasting healing* so that it's available again ASAP. Once you have popped this ability you will generally want to use it again as soon as it is up, but obviously use your judgement and take the enemy pet rotation in to consideration - sometimes it makes so much more sense to delay the heal by a round or two.

Ravage rounds out the combo with an additional heal that can be used once you've whittled your enemy down low enough to kill them with it. For this strategy, the *only* time you ever want to use ravage is when you're reasonably certain you will kill your current opponent with it.

With this combo of abilities, Chrominius should defeat the first pet and survive well in to the battle with the second. All the while, the 3rd pet - the 'doozy' - has been taking constant damage from the arcane explosion, and unable to do anything about it! By the time it is their turn to enter the battle field they will be weakened to the point where the rest of your team will have no trouble at all cleaning up.

Added Note:
This strategy is SUPER EFFECTIVE against any team that has one or more pets that deal flying damage. If they belong to the flying pet family, that is an extra bonus, because they'll die even faster from the Arcane Explosion; but even if they aren't a member of the flying family, any flying-classified ability that they use will be weak against Chrominius. Consider the Pandaren Air Spirit legendary pet battle in the Jade Forest. *All three* of those pets deal flying damage. I can solo that entire team with Chrominius, including the Air Spirit at the end with the annoyingly effective healing, and complete the battle with nearly full HP to boot.

Hekkate
Pet Score:5608
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Hekkate » February 15th, 2013, 4:54 pm

fox kit is a great battle pet against critters!! I don't have a lot of experience with levelling battle pets yet, but am an avid collecter and hope to learn a lot from all these awesome posts!