1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Xella
Pet Score:13545
Realm:Skywall-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Xella » February 8th, 2013, 11:58 pm

My most unexpected go-to pet for handling many trainer battle dailies is Tsukino, my Elfin Rabbit (though almost any rabbit-style pet will do). Get a breed with high speed and equip her with Flurry, Dodge, and Burrow. With very few exceptions, 325 speed will let you get two rounds of Dodge and get the additional hit from Flurry's speed bonus. Beast abilities are still dangerous but less so, and pets that stun (I'm looking at you, Pandaren Earth Spirit!) are essentially nullified by the critter passive!

Zaika
MVP
Pet Score:10176
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Zaika » February 9th, 2013, 12:08 am

[pet]Lil' XT[/pet]

[pet]Lil' XT[/pet] CRUSHES Beast pets like Jeremy Feasel's accursed Fezwick Monkey. Lead off with Heartbroken and follow with Tympanic Tantrum. By the time the monkey shows he will be 70% dead already! Win!

Chubzpets
Pet Score:8173
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Chubzpets » February 9th, 2013, 12:16 am

Here is a little known thing I discovered. It may be considered an exploit I don't know, but I hope not. There is a bug in the mechanics of the Sinister Squashling or they did not fully explain one if the pet's abilities in the tool tip. Did you know your Sinister Sqaushling can heal for about 800hp if you're smart about it? Probably not. Here's how.

1) Beat the enemy down to about 800hp (doesn't matter how)
2) Cast stun seed
3) Cast leech seed
4) Cast poison lash or burn (doesn't matter)

If the enemy dies to the stun seed your leech seed will heal you for about 800hp. I don't know why. The tooltip doesn't explain it. But if you time it well your Sinister Squashling can solo almost every pet trainer in the game. He already had a stun, a small heal, and leet DPS... now he has a massive heal as well and it doesn't even take a turn to use it. Combine that with the fact that on most realms you can buy one for <10g, imagine rolling around with three of these. No one can stop you now... at least not until they fix this. YOU'RE WELCOME.

Mimp
Top Rater
Pet Score:3426
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Mimp » February 9th, 2013, 12:20 am

I love my Nexus Whelpling, I usually use his Tail Sweep, Mana Surge and Arcane Storm abilities. At the beginning of a battle you can toss up an Arcane Storm and make quick work of many pets with Mana Surge. If you're in a particularly flyer heavy battle you can add in an Arcane Eye, (with Psychic Blast, Drain Power and Mana Surge which all have good synergy with Arcane Storm as well.)

If you're still dealing with low level pets on your account you can get a relatively high level Arcane Eye, (16-18,) with a much lower level team of 3 as the Arcane Eye always battles alone. Getting one or two of these with a level 10-15 team can really accelerate your ability to level other pets.

Silkenfire
MVP
Pet Score:11272
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Silkenfire » February 9th, 2013, 12:38 am

Mr. Bigglesworth

Mr. Bigglesworth, while undead, is a beast! He's excellent for powerleveling a team, as he can simply annihilate opponents as much as five levels above him. If you pair him with a Alpine Foxling Kit who can imbue him with Dazzling Dance, even better.

Grendel
Pet Score:3913
Realm:Turalyon-eu

Going to solo Viscidus?

Post by Grendel » February 9th, 2013, 12:38 am

Getting Viscidus Globule as a warrior is not hard. Just get the Elemental Force enchant on your weapon(s) and you will both be able to freeze Viscidus and have enough melee dps to shatter it.

Tadedra
Pet Score:7267
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Tadedra » February 9th, 2013, 12:50 am

Eternal Strider

Using anyone with strong Aquatic abilities is excellent when Power Leveling Lowbies with the Farmer Nishi Dailies. Her two Elemental pets practically melt with the Pump. She can pretty much solo's them allowing for two low levels to gather 2 - 4 levels per daily based on the lowbies levels.

Vasala
Pet Score:3795
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Vasala » February 9th, 2013, 12:51 am

Everyone knows that the Terrible Turnip is a nice pet for taming due to the Weakening Blow ability. But a fair number of people do not think about the additional boost that Sunlight provides to the taming process. As long as you are facing a pet that is high enough level to survive the damage from Sunlight then you get the bonus of having a much larger taming window due to the 50% boost to all non-elemental pets' maximum health.

When you are dealing with some of the suicidal dragonkin being able to start taming earlier can save an attempt. Most of the dragonkin will use their weather early in the fight if they have one. So just wait for Scorched Earth and then switch the weather with Sunlight and you should have them in taming range before they can try to burn themselves up again ;). (It is just too bad that this strategy can not help with the Stone Rush happy elementals.)

Arrethyn
Pet Score:2790
Realm:Spinebreaker-us

Post by Arrethyn » February 9th, 2013, 12:54 am

Disgusting Oozeling

This pet is often my go-to pet when I don't have anything especially strong vs an enemy pet. The reason for this is the incredible synergy between his abilities

1)Acidic Goo does small damage over time but more importantly increases damage taken by 25% for 3 rounds
2)Corrosion This ability actually has some up front damage, with more damage over time, and a fixed damage taken increase for 2 turns. This works well because at this point guess what? Acidic Goo is also at two turns left
3)Absorb You can really go with either option here but I usually stick to absorb because I've found the healing to be more beneficial than extra damage. By the time you get here most pets will be nearly dead if not dead

There are 2 major counters to this strategy that you should watch out for, the biggest one is pets that have fixed damage reduction such as turtles. Since you're doing damage from 3 different abilities on the same turn by the time you get things stacked up taking 100 off each one hurts bad.

The second is pets that just do a ton of damage and/or disable you such that you die on the 3rd round, especially since it's speed is somewhat mediocre so you have a good chance of being second. Additionally abilities that hit the back line are especially potent as you need to survive as many hits as possible to get the healing started and coming into battle down 400 health can easily spell your doom.

Bonus tip: Combine this pet with Lightning storm for some truly massive damage. The bonus 35 damage at level 25 is applied to both DoTs and is affected by the increased damage effects, the bonus lightning storm damage hits for 240 per DoT, in addition to the Dot's normal damage for close to 1100 damage on the second round alone. Of course pets with multi hi abilities will also be taking out your squishy oozling faster.

Valielina
Top Rater

Post by Valielina » February 9th, 2013, 12:56 am

The Anubisath Idol has the amazing Reflection ability. It also makes this pet very easy to level. After leveling your pet to level 2 team it up with a couple of level 25s and set out to higher level areas to battle. When it is your pet's turn use the Reflection ability, causing the opposing pet to miss and your pet will use the ability instead. Then just put in a level 25 to finish off the battle. All the XP earned goes to your pet, and with the Safari Hat equipped, you get an extra 10%.

This is a pretty good strategy for any power pet leveling, but both Reflection and Sandstorm are incredibly useful.

Emoodymusic
Top Rater
Pet Score:2907
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by Emoodymusic » February 9th, 2013, 1:30 am

Azure Whelpling

This dragonkin has multiple pet-type abilities, including magic, elemental and beast damage moves which comes in handy when you don't know your opponent. He's a tough find and a bit pricey on the Auction House, but well worth the effort to collect and level!

I named mine Mini Kalec...I may be a bit obsessed with the Tides of War novel :)

Ixnaycy
Pet Score:1712
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ixnaycy » February 9th, 2013, 3:03 am

I managed to acquire a Emerald Proto-Whelp and I really like it, especially now that it's Maximum level. I have chosen for the 3 main abilities Breath, Ancient Blessing, Emerald Dream. I have found that using these three abilities when battling I have personally not lost yet, as my pet heals up all the time which give me an edge over my opponent. I start with Breath for Round 1, if the opponent doesn't strike for over 250 hit points I use Breath for a second time else I use Ancient Blessing to heal me for 500 hit points and to add to my total health 125 for 9 Rounds. Then follow up with Breath until my pet drops around 500/600 hit points and that's when I trigger Emerald Dream. Now Emerald Dream lasts for 3 rounds, healing you for 180 the first round, 361 the second and 722 on the third. So at the end your pet is back at full health while you drain you opponent down with Breath.

There you have it, hope you guys enjoy this pet as much as I do :D

Milomoss
Pet Score:3366
Realm:Nagrand-eu

Post by Milomoss » February 9th, 2013, 3:13 am

When fighting with Fluxfire Feline you can use super strong combo on moves: Wind-up - Supercharge - Wind-up for very high damage. This combo of moves used on other mechanical pet makes them ignore their racial ability to come back to life with 25% of their hp after dying and kills them instantly. Sometimes after killing the mechanical pet the first use of Wind-up still remains on Fluxfire Feline so you can get second strong hit again with another Wind-up.

Piazzolla

Post by Piazzolla » February 9th, 2013, 3:30 am

The Crow, who has vexed many a Darkmoon Island pet collector, is extremely worth it and will ruin any aquatic pet's day and is a valuable asset to your team for the Pandaria legendary trainer dailies, especially if you're lucky enough to capture a S/S breed (high speed) Crow. Set him up with Alpha Strike, Call Darkness, and Nocturnal Strike.

When fighting any aquatic pet, first open with Call Darkness for the Darkness weather effect, which blinds all pets on the battlefield. Then cast Nocturnal Strike, which has a 100% hit chance on blinded targets (and, of course, hits HARD against aquatics!), and then just use Alpha Strike while the cooldown on Nocturnal Strike is up (assuming your opponent doesn't submit before then). You're pretty much guaranteed an easy win against all those annoying turtles, crabs, and fish that the trainers use!

The Gilnean Raven is an okay alternative to the Crow if upgraded with a stone, but as it is only available in the P/S breed, a wild Crow is a much preferable pet both to upgrade and use because of it being able to come in the high speed type. And even if you can't find a rare of that breed in the wild, there's nothing that says you can't capture a lower quality S/S Crow and upgrade it with a stone later on. ;) It's well worth the investment.

Xclaywizardx
Pet Score:272
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Xclaywizardx » February 9th, 2013, 3:44 am

When using a pet in the scorpid family always use sting for constant damage; then activate crouchto fend off blows, and finish the enemy off with snap!

Kaiohx
Top Rater
Pet Score:6484
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Kaiohx » February 9th, 2013, 4:00 am

Easiest way I have found to tear through opponents is to start with [pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet]. Start off by firing his Elementium Bolt. While it is in the air, hit Call Darkness and follow up with a Tail Sweep. If your opponent is still alive, the bolt will finish them off.

Jaxthegnome
Top Rater
Pet Score:6995
BattleTag®:Jaxthegnome#1490
Realm:Draenor-us

Post by Jaxthegnome » February 9th, 2013, 4:12 am

Terrible Turnip
Obtainable through Farming any vegetable on your farm in Halfhill. The Terrible Turnip is a great battle pet for several reasons. First, her Weakening Blow ability is great for farming pets. You no longer have to worry about killing that rare pet you just found. Second, while trying to deal with battle pet teams that like to Burrow, you can use your Sunlight to change the weather to your liking and hitting the pets on the bench, and then follow it up with Leech Seed to heal up!

Deirhese
Pet Score:4778
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Deirhese » February 9th, 2013, 4:29 am

Crawling Claw

A good strategy to use especially for pvp pet battles is to first use Curse of Doom then Agony on the first pet in the battle then use Death Grip to pull out another pet while the dotted pet takes damage. Then you use Agony on the pet you death gripped out. After this sequence you can pull back your Crawling Claw and repeat when Curse of Doom comes off cooldown.

Wintersky12
Pet Score:3624
Realm:Shadow Council-us

Post by Wintersky12 » February 9th, 2013, 4:33 am

I love my Magical Crawdad. With a combination of Renewing Mists and Wish it is practically impossible to kill. Always keep Renewing Mists up and use Wish when you get to almost half hit points.

I use my Magical Crawdad in combination with Celestial Dragon for an invincible combination. Thanks to one of the comments I read, I use this combination to quickly level some of my lower level pets while searching for some of those elusive rare pets.