1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Valyndris
Pet Score:2288
Realm:Stonemaul-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Valyndris » February 9th, 2013, 2:35 pm

Pink Murloc Egg - Gurky is a very rare baby murloc, she does a cute little dance which is a reference the Michigan J. Frog.

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » February 9th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Mini Thor - He is my secret weapon. Attack first with Toxic Smoke which gives you a two round DoT while you get Launch Rocket wound up and fired. I love its animation too :)

Another tip: Use a moth against Dor the Wall. Hit with Slicing Wind and time Cocoon Strike for when she punts you. They share the same cool down so you will never take any damage.

One more: In a lot of tamer fights whether or not you win or lose depends upon if your strong against their pet matches what they put out first. You can either forfeit and try again or switch your lineup. Ever notice that when you switch your lineup the tamer switches theirs so again you are not up against the best match up? Well use this to your advantage and switch your lineup twice at the same time. That way you wind up with your original lineup and the tamer switches. This trick has worked more times than not for me.
Last edited by GilroyKilroy on February 10th, 2013, 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by GrosBonda » February 9th, 2013, 2:48 pm

[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/dragonkin/serpents/thundering-serpent-hatchling/]Thundering Serpent Hatchling[/url]

As Profile say :
Guilds can unlock this pet by completing the Challenge Conquerors: Gold - Guild Edition achievement.

Members must be revered with their guild to purchase this pet from a guild vendor.
But We all know it is not all guild who can or have achieve it.
So the trick is to found a guild who have this achieve, and try to get an invite, there is a guild on Kil'jaeden who accept pet collectors and who have the achieve (i dont know if i can give name here so i will not but it is easy to found the info)
when you get an invite get yourself to revered with the guild and save your gold. The pet cost about 270g

Note: when you reach revered and bougth your pet dont forget to thank the guild and if you can, help other fellow collector who just start, some gold and bag or anything is always welcome and will help. it happen to me and repeat it to someone else.

Wigginette
Pet Score:1942
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Wigginette » February 9th, 2013, 2:52 pm

A good tip for the Crimson Whelpling is to be sure to use it's healing flame after a big hit because it does a base heal plus half the last hit the whelp took. This mean you can easily heal back 500 h.p. sometimes more.

Bhaud
Pet Score:3042
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Bhaud » February 9th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Darkmoon Island's Crow is only available as a secondary pet. Darkmoon Glowflys level 5 and up will bring a second pet with them to the battle. Here are the possible secondary pets on Darkmoon Island:
Crow
Rat
Sea Gull
Adder
Roach
Last edited by Guest on February 9th, 2013, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaklav
Pet Score:2213
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Vaklav » February 9th, 2013, 3:08 pm

[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/dragonkin/dragon-whelps/lil-deathwing/]Lil' Deathwing[/url]

I started leveling Deathwing as my first pet purely out of his coolness factor, and soon realized what a powerhouse he is. I try to have him as the third pet in every battle, and he usually finishes up every remaining pet my opponent has.

[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/dragonkin/tail-sweep/]Tail Sweep:[/url] The drawback to lil' Deathwing is that he usually goes last, but tail sweep turns it into a constant advantage by giving you extra damage when you attack last.

[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/dragonkin/roll/]Roll:[/url] Roll will give you a nice damage boost that truly makes Deathwing a monster when it comes to damage.

[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/dragonkin/elementium-bolt/]Elementium Bolt:[/url] As much as i love using Cataclysm as my third ability, Elementium bolt is really the nuke for Deathwing. You should always start with the Elementium Bolt, and after doing damage for 2 rounds, watch as your nuke finishes off a pet.

Hands down my favorite pet in the game.

Ornie
Pet Score:2586
Realm:Xavius-eu

Post by Ornie » February 9th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Rapana Whelk - Not everyone has the time to level a huge amount of (rare) pets to lvl 25, so you can always form a team that is strong against the team you are going to fight. (with dailies at least, you know what the weaknesses of the opposing team will be). I had the same problem.. But not anymore!! I caught a Rapan Whelk, and at first I was happy that I got a rare one and only had to level it like 3 lvls to 25.. But then I found out that it has a diverse set of attacks!!

If you want to be strong against:
Flying pets? Use Ooze Touch
Humanoid pets? Use Absorb (It even heals your Rapana Whelk!)
Undead? Use Acidic Goo (The pet you are fighting will even take 25% more damage now)
Elemental? Use Dive (Plus you can dodge an attack when you are submerged)
Critter? Use Headbutt (Maybe you'll even stun the opposing pet..)

So when you don't have the time to lvl a load of pets, Rapana Whelk offers a versatile set of abilities :D

Zaccheo
Top Rater
Pet Score:13472
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Zaccheo » February 9th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Well one of my favorite pets is fluxfire feline maybe however not for much longer :( however i do wish he had a special attack for Fezwick just for when he kills me yet again with Banana barrage in the last second, i'll leave it to your imagination where i'd like to stick his bananas but anyone thats been been caught by him yet again will know what i mean hehe :)
Last edited by Zaccheo on February 9th, 2013, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finkployd
Pet Score:4153
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Finkployd » February 9th, 2013, 3:21 pm

Tips for catching the elusive Baby Ape.

This cutie happens to have a weather restriction for it to spawn. Located off the coast of Stranglethorn Vale on Jaguero Isle; It must be raining in order for the pet to appear. They are the Gorillas in the Mist.

Tip 1: Jaguero Isle has its own weather. Meaning the rest of the cape of Stranglethorn's weather will not be shared; if you're on your way there and notice there is no rain you should not give up just yet! Once you get to the isle and it's a bright and sunny day it's safe to say you will not be catching your ape.

Tip 2: It is often easier to camp a character on the isle than fly there every time you want to check for the ape. What this means is you fly there on an alt (or even run there on a level 25+, it is stv after all) and if you come across a sunny day you just log out; leaving the character there for you to quickly check in on the weather. I used this method to catch my ape and many other difficult pets (silithid hatchling, minfernal, scourged whelpling, etc.) It also works great for pet battle dailies in those far away zones like Shadowmoon Valley and Icecrown.

Mestkever
Pet Score:1941
Realm:Darksorrow-eu

Post by Mestkever » February 9th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Crawling Claw - Used to be my favorite pet when I didn't have it yet. I digged and digged a lot of tol'vir fragments but never got that one. Until the day we could sell pets on Auction House! I found a nice Crawling Claw for a bargain of 9000G! I bought the bugger (ofcourse) and learned it and was really happy with it! 5 minutes later another one popped up on Auction House for 5000G.. Ouch, Well, I needed to have that one too! Maybe make a friend happy with it. So then I had 2.

A couple of days later I gave tol'vir another try for the mount. And yes, I found the claw. Again. So 3 claws in my possession. Made my wallet happy, and my friend happy. We played Rock, Paper, Scissors. All night long!

Azayzel
Top Rater
Pet Score:3540
Realm:Ner'zhul-us

Post by Azayzel » February 9th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Toothy

Huge fan of any of the baby crocs for just getting started. They have Devour which is great for the abundant amount of critters you need to grind your way up on. When combined with Consume, it makes for less trips to the stable master.

Nearlysober
Top Rater
Pet Score:13614
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Nearlysober » February 9th, 2013, 4:33 pm

Terrible Turnip - This is the best pet to have on your team when looking for new captures. His Weakening Blow attack will never take an opponent below 1 health, so just be mindful to not have any DoTs up on the target and you won't have to worry about killing a rare by accident.

Zemenar
Pet Score:2531
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Zemenar » February 9th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Stunted Shardhorn - When hunting for a rare, sometimes one will spawn inside a tree (i've found at least 4 spots this happens at). You can still fight some of them however, if /tar Stunted and you set up a keybind for "Interact with Target". Otherwise you'll have to kill the poor pet to improve the chances of it spawning elsewhere.

Nomadd
Top Rater
Pet Score:12444
Realm:Tortheldrin-us

Post by Nomadd » February 9th, 2013, 4:38 pm

A tip for one of my favorite pets:Cogblade Raptor -

The typical set up that I like to use is Batter(a must IMO), Screech (although overtune can be used in situations where cutting their speed won't make you attack faster), and Exposed. The synergy with Batter and Exposed is just amazing. If you want to really fancy (and I usually do) you can even combine skills like Mangle from the likes of a Kun-Lai Runt or a Stunted Yeti, or better yet a Call Lightning from a variety of pets. All of these abilities will stack and will add on to the effect of Call Lightning.

Your main goal here is to set up all of your extra damage buffs, and then ensure that your Cogblade Raptor is faster than the opposing team as to maximize damage from your Batter.

Nothing is quite as fun as watching your little raptor friend take out an enemy in a single turn!

Dpartd
Top Rater
Pet Score:13118
BattleTag®:Dpartd#1530
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Dpartd » February 9th, 2013, 4:51 pm

If you want a fun pet battle team made up of Dogs, these are the dogs to have:

Stitched Pup
Chrominius
Core Hound Pup

This setup provides a variety of pet types and abilities...and is really fun to boot!

Lauriainna
Pet Score:2096
Realm:Draenor-us

Post by Lauriainna » February 9th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Phoenix Hatchling
If your Fox Kit is about to die, and you can get a Howl off, Use Immolate and Conflagrate for HUGE damage!

Cabadath
Pet Score:2577
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Cabadath » February 9th, 2013, 5:06 pm

With the new dmg penalty from forfeiting battles to force the trainer to give you the needed first pet, and the nerf to fluxfire feline, I have been at work trying to find a team for every highlevel trainer where you can have 2 lvl 25 pets and 1 lowlvl pet for leveling, and where you can take down the trainer no matter which pet the trainer starts with.

In this little adventure of mine, I have found that Infinite whelpling (breed 4) is very interesting indeed.

Apart from it being a very solid pet in general with its healing flame and high damage abilities tail sweep and early advantage, it has a very nice synergy with the dragonkin racial giving +50 % dmg when bringing an opponent below 25 % hp. Nothing new here, but I stumbled upon something I hadn't really considered before, although it's really a no-brainer:

Being a solid pet, it dishes out high dmg and can heal itself back up pretty decently. The first trainer-pet is often easy, which gives the infinite whelpling a great dmg-bonus to the next opponent due to the dragonkin racial. If this second pet is a mechanical (which often is a pain because of the high damage abilities of such mechanical pets), then you are in for a treat!

1) Dragonkin racial bonus +50 % dmg
2) early advantage deals extra dmg vs mechanical pets.
3) Your infinite whelpling will probably have low enough hp from fighting the first pet, that you get the extra hit from early advantage

Result: 2x850-ish dmg (without crit), oneshotting or almost oneshotting the mechanical opponent.

Example 1: Major Payne (killing Grizzle is easy), oneshotting Beakmaster (that was a very satisfying thing to see happen, and I was a bit flabbergasted to see all his HP disappear in a 2x850-ish hits). Just finish Beakmaster up with a tail sweep, or let another pet such as spawn of onyxia (breed 4) finish him and the last pet.
Example 2: Jeremy Feasel also works, but you "only" bring Honky Tonk down to about 200 hp left doing this.

Another question is whether I find a very reliable team combination to finish the enemy team off no matter which pet they start with. But this was an interesting find for me anyway.

Penglet
Pet Score:1663
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Penglet » February 9th, 2013, 5:10 pm

Deathy is my favorite pet. He's best against almost anything other than a critter (and holds out pretty well against them too). I know he's a Blizzcon exclusive, but you can - and I did - get him off eBay for about $125 US. Below is my usual rotation that will kill nearly any opponent in two to three rounds.

Start with **Clobber - This ability has a really fun animation but, more importantly, will stun your opponent for one round.
Next attack with Deep Breath - This is a Dragonkin ability and does some major damage. Unfortunately it takes a round to charge.
Finally, if your opponent's still alive, finish with Call Darkness. If this doesn't finish them off, it will at least diminish any healing they attempt.

Rinse and repeat until your opponent is a smoldering pile of ash.
**Note: This is not necessarily the best opener if you're playing against an NPC or actual player. Stuns should generally be used against NPCs or players when you want to force them to change their pet.

Stel613
Pet Score:1254
Realm:Shu'halo-us

Post by Stel613 » February 9th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Enchanted Broom creepy crate

Enchanted broom with Creepy crate (or crawling claw for those of you lucky enough to obtain one) is an almost unstoppable combination when using the sweep and death grip ability.

These 2 abilities give you control over which pet your opponent has in play which gives you a great advantage. Not to mention the wind-up attack is very strong and the Crate has a DOT ( agony )you can apply before you death grip their pet out of play.

Magic pets can only be dealt a maximum of %40 of their maximum health in a single hit so this pet is very good against strong pets such as Fluxfire (pre-nerf) and Pandaren monk or any other increased 2 round attacks.

Also I would suggest swapping your broom out when you manage to survive a near fatal attack (assuming you are faster than your opponents remaining pets). This way when another one of your pets die and a new round starts your broom will go first and you will get an extra hit in by using sweep at a critical time. especially if you were able to get part 1 of wind up on the previous round

:)

Mena1516
Pet Score:4394
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Mena1516 » February 9th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Emperor crab I have found that this pet is the most useful with elementals and with leveling lower pets with the tamers. It can solo most tamers. :D