1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Melarilya
Pet Score:4389
Realm:Hyjal-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Melarilya » February 10th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Jubling, along with all of the frog/toad pets, is really good against undead for a number of reasons.

1) Aquatic pets take less damage from undead abilities.
2) Unlike the majority of the aquatic family, frogs have critter attacks such as Tongue Lash and Swarm of Flies.
3) When fighting against Nearly Headless Jacob's team, a frog can change the weather to Cleansing Rain which may negate Mort's damage output by decreasing the chance that Spectral Strike will land a powerful hit against your team.

A level 25 frog using Tongue Lash, Healing Wave and Frog Kiss can solo Lydia's team, so you can level two other pets against this tamer. Just be careful Bishibosh doesn't copy healing wave, or the fight will take a bit longer than anticipated!
Last edited by Melarilya on February 10th, 2013, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jayelham
Pet Score:7909
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Jayelham » February 10th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Fluxfire Feline The "toy cat" for my crazy lil cat lovin gnome. She really likes it

Gwez
Pet Score:13529
Realm:Tyrande-eu

Post by Gwez » February 10th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Mechanical Squirrel may be nowadays a common pet but it has some history in WoW:
Back in the time when the game was released there were very few mechanical pets:
- Pet Bombling and [pet]Lil' Smoky[/pet], which were BoP and gnomish/gobling engineer only;
- Lifelike Mechanical Toad, made by engineers and that don't really look so mechanical; and
- Mechanical Chicken, obtained from obtaining 4 very rare eggs around Azeroth
Made by engineers from a world drop pattern, the Mechanical Squirrel was, along with the chicken, the only mechanical-looking pet anyone could get. Behaving like a common squirrel, and having in consideration that there were no "flesh squirrels" as pets, it was quite an unique and funny companion.
On the release this pet held 2 bugs that made it famous:
- The pet was level 14, making them higher level that their first owners
- It was possible to summon it several times with a simple trick, making you able to be chased by a legion of these playful companions
The second bug was annoying and got fixed "soon" but it was not until The Burning Crusade when the extra 13 levels were taken away. Just note that, as it was a rare world drop, this pet was highly valued on the first months of vanilla.
On a personal note, my Mechasquirrel has been a nice companion for a gnome along these 8 years.

Mliberman
Pet Score:2272
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Mliberman » February 10th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Now is a great time for auction hunters to pick up toxic-wasteling. It has a horrible 0.01% drop rate, but you might be able to save yourself hundreds of hours trying to get this bubbly little guy by just buying him. For those of you trying to earn some money off this guy, save him for a few months to maximixize your profit.

Vaevictus
Top Rater
Pet Score:13469
Realm:Draenor-us

Post by Vaevictus » February 10th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Amber Moth or an equivalent high level moth is excellent for leveling pets in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.

You will need a high enough pet team to capture a Moth and then head to the Vale. Inside the Vale a majority of the Battle Pets are Aquatic and are easy prey for Flying pets. Let your leveling pet get the first hit in, then switch to the Moth. A single Moth can demolish an entire team of three pets easily. Some of the Battle Pet teams have Flying pets as well, but fret not, as the Moth can take care of these solo as well.

The lake in front of Mogu'shan Palace usually has a plethora of Aquatic pets to battle so it makes for a quick trip to the nearby Shrines for healing if need be.

Gerdster
Pet Score:2023
Realm:Grizzly Hills-us

Post by Gerdster » February 10th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Level and use Terrible Turnip when trying to collect pets. His Weakening Blow won't kill the pet your trying to catch, but only bring it down to 1 HP.

Spingus
MVP
Pet Score:12022
Realm:Cenarius-us

Post by Spingus » February 10th, 2013, 6:50 pm

When you have time to really enjoy your pet battles and go at a snail's pace, break out Scooter the Snail for slow-motion slaying.

As a critter he can't be held back by crowd control and Elemental attacks just can't break through his slimy surface.

Scooter likes to give and take: he gives a little damage with his Absorb ability and takes just as much health for himself when it hits. Combine that with Shell Shield for safety and Dive for gravy and you have yourself a slow-as-molasses molluscan massacre machine!

Lovewillkill
Pet Score:5761
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Lovewillkill » February 10th, 2013, 6:52 pm

My pet advice is actually to stay away from the Mini Diablo. Yes, having a miniature Lord of Terror scrambling along beside you is insanely cool, but he has a low health pool and Call Darkness actually misses sometimes.

(Of course, that doesn't keep me from having him as part of my main group. I'm too stubborn to give up on the little guy.)

Nishran
Pet Score:914
Realm:Borean Tundra-us

Post by Nishran » February 10th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Grunty

They are cute to have around especially when fighting the zergling. However, we must also consider the danger Grunty presents. This means that Murlocs have discovered automatic fire-arms in a steampunk-age world. God help us all.

Razelkrol
Pet Score:7711
Realm:Steamwheedle Cartel-us

Post by Razelkrol » February 10th, 2013, 7:25 pm

Fluxfire Feline

I love my fluxfire feline & most already know what a powerful combo it has with Wind-Up & Supercharge, but keep in mind that for many lower level battles, Wind-Up alone can take out an enemy beast pet and finish up the battle a few rounds quicker!

Soresa
Pet Score:2190
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Soresa » February 10th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Tuskarr Kite

"Seeing these kites soaring above Northrend's shores is a clear sign that tuskarr are nearby."

Equipping my Mastercraft Kalu'ak Fishing Pole along with a lucky swig of the Underbelly Elixir lets me stroll through the Dalaran park with style. The pet doesn't fight because that's my style, but be warned, I still have my epic fishing pole.

Odiana
Top Rater
Pet Score:7578
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Odiana » February 10th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Lucky Quilen Cub

My Favorite Companion

Out of all the companion's I have so far, this one tops it at the moment.

When battling, this is the best pet to have out. Perk up gives all the team a health bonus, and it heals the cub. I rotate for best results, I first put my cub under the ground to avoid any attacks from the opposing member, Burrow is a favorite tool I use, then I get the cub to claw, and depending on how bad he is hit, I will heal using his perk up. If he is not hit bad, then I claw again. I try not to let the pets health get below halfway, either perk up or burrow if either, is not on cool down, has saved my cub from harm and won the match. We have had few scrapes, however I just love this pet, for the cute factor, the perk up and the burrow especially. It is a good pet to have ;) and in the critter category I rank him the highest.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and happy pet collecting :)

Neoptolemus
Top Rater
Pet Score:2098
Realm:Laughing Skull-us

Post by Neoptolemus » February 10th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Emerald Whelpling

This is a great pet for leveling or capturing others. Using Emerald Bite, Emerald Presence, and Emerald dream will allow this pet to last through many battles while starting off with a low level pet. It is a great safety net for the long battles where your traps miss more than you'd like.

Lord_gunnar
Pet Score:4336
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Lord_gunnar » February 10th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Best tip I can give would be to make a harvesting team that is also a fast leveler, I do this with [item=}85220[/item] [spell=]135259[/spell]and any low pet. this will let you get as may levles by switching the low pet after the first battle while being able to capture the ones you do not have.

Bubba71352003
Pet Score:1969
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Bubba71352003 » February 10th, 2013, 8:03 pm

One of the best pets to start out with when learn to use the battle pet minigame is the celestial dragon. The main reason to use this little guy besides him looking so cool is the fact that he helps out the whole team. When you use moonfire in combination with ancient blessing not only do you get 25% bonus healing but your max health for the whole team is increase for the next 9 rounds. This is my go to pet when leveling lower pets especially when I try to get the difficulty bonus. I can't wait to see what the furture holds for collecting and battling with up coming patches and expanisons.

DeGei
Pet Score:4359
BattleTag®:degei#1795
Realm:Draenor-us

Post by DeGei » February 10th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Terrible Turnip
Many People know the turnip is great for capturing new pets, but the Turnip is also great for taking down Farmer Nishi in the Valley of the Four Winds. The Farmer likes to lead with Siren a Singing Sunflower who likes to spam cast Photosynthesis with Sunlight. Mr. Terrible can head out and use Tidal Wave and It's own Sunlight to defeat the two back row pets on Nishi's team, while keeping the rest of it's team topped up on health with Inspiring Song. Then have a strong attack pet swap into finish the fight. Great for leveling a low level pet several levels at once.

Brael
Pet Score:2607
BattleTag®:Brael#2930
Realm:Kazzak-eu

Post by Brael » February 10th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Emperor Crab - Start the battle with a Terrible Turnip and use it's sunlight ability, then swap in your crab and use shell shield then renewing mists and start doing damage to the other teams pets while keeping up all 3 and your crab should easily solo an enemy team due to the combination of the damage reduction of shell shield and the healing of renewing mists (Which of course will be being buffed by sunlight).

Amethystrose144
Pet Score:5906
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Amethystrose144 » February 10th, 2013, 8:15 pm

For the Darkmoon Faire Daily Pet Battle, I use Celestial Dragon, Fel Flame and Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot. I start with my Dragon, and reset the fight if he doesn't start with his magic pet. I use Breath until the Eye is nearly dead, then I finish it with Arcane Storm. The next pet is his mechanical, I pull out my Fel Flame and use Immolate and Immolation then just Burn until dead. Elemental pets are immune to weather effects, so I have to swap out for my Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot. The monkey always opens with his stun, but my Arcane Storm counters his stun. I drop Toxic Smoke on the monkey and just Missile Strike him to death. Now, if I could just get the rare pet drop from the battle!!

Nekosgrace
Pet Score:905
Realm:Lightning's Blade-us

Post by Nekosgrace » February 10th, 2013, 8:18 pm

celestial dragon is a formidable player on any pet team, not only for similarly-leveled pets, but higher levels as well. My level 15 celestial is easily taking out opponents on levels up to 23 right now.