1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
LGH
Pet Score:3069
Realm:Hyjal-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by LGH » February 8th, 2013, 12:14 am

[pet]Landro's Lil' XT[/pet] is one of my favorites his ability to resist high damage and deal it back via Zap is ideal for leveling lower level pets. His self heal ( Repair ) and passive ability to come back after death for a turn has saved me many times. If you dont wish to spend the money for a mech pet a good substitute that's similar to Landro's Lil' XT is Engineers Personal World Destroyer :D

Diamondsoul
Pet Score:13082
BattleTag®:Beegkitty#1715
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Diamondsoul » February 8th, 2013, 12:18 am

My team for the Darkmoon Faire daily:

Usually Judgement comes out first, then Honky-Tonk, then Fezwick comes out.

Fel Flame H/S, [pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet], and [pet]Lil' XT[/pet].

The Fel Flame is able to kill the first two pets in the battle: Cast Scorched Earth, Conflagrate, Burn until Scorched Earth is back up. By this time, Judgement should be dead and you should be working on Honky-Tonk with the Fel Flame. Once you kill Honky-Tonk, if you WANT to bring in Lil' Deathwing to cast Elementium Bolt and to take the stun for Lil' XT you can, but this team easily kills the other team with just the Fel Flame and Lil' XT. With Lil' XT, I cast XE-321 Boombot, Heartbroken, then Zap. Usually, Lil' XT will take hit and go down. But, he will come back to life for a killing blow if the Boombot does not kill Fezwick first.

Bracia
Pet Score:5440
BattleTag®:Bracia#1256
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Bracia » February 8th, 2013, 12:19 am

Stitched Pup

When killing Gluth in Naxxramas, be sure to take more than just 1 or 2 people. It is not easy to keep Gluth from eating all of the adds and healing himself. If possible, bring 2 tanks, one for the boss, one for the adds.

Ashoke
Top Rater
Pet Score:10151
BattleTag®:Shokie#1985
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Ashoke » February 8th, 2013, 12:51 am

Hi there I have a few tips for pet battlers in general but first of the
Minfernal:

This pet is easily the rarest one of the Kalimdor critters, and he only spawns in the Shatter Scar Vale. As to catching this one it helps to have Characters from different servers parked in the area, but watch out for the infamous spawn inside the trees, there's a small chance you can use an AOE fear to pull them out but its still a pain.

Infinite Whelping:

This one has a kinda wonky spawn area in Tanaris but is predictably in the tunnels of the caverns of time of above where Tick the world dragon spawns, this is another one where you might want to have a few toons camping for it, but with a friend who can port you to Dalaran it's not that bad.

Those are the two I had the most trouble with, but as a note for all the weather dependent spawners like the Baby Ape and the Silithd Hatchling it good to hang around for a few minuets after the wether effect starts for some reason it took almost an hour but I got my Silithd after almost 20 min, and then checked Strangle thorn and the rain was going there and apes spawned that might have been a huge coincidence but always check the other weather spots when one is up: just in case.

As for over all battles and leveling until 5.2 we're still able to use the Safari hat to level 1-25 so long as the pet can survive a hit from a high level world battle: but since that's going away in 5.2 I would point out the best way to level is to use the tamers: the best way is to use pets that are 5 levels lower than the ones you're up against then to destroy them with your 25s. This is probably the -fastest- way to level them and I have been able to narrow down my leveling time to just about an hour and a half with this method, granted there's a lot of flying but if the safari hat is equipped and your pets are leveling its worth the miles you put into flying them around Azaroth!

Oh and one tip on Battling: in the event if you accidentally kill the pet you're trying to catch or if they kill themselves with a move and the battle is still going on you can actually ALT F4 out of the game and DC yourself mid battle: when you log back in you will see the pet you battled with in front of you! So use that liberally for something like a Minfernal

And a Doodle of my Character with Hokisho her Dragon
Happy hunting
Last edited by Ashoke on February 8th, 2013, 3:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

Isilldur
Pet Score:3506
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Isilldur » February 8th, 2013, 12:54 am

Fluxfire Feline

For those fellow Horde members trying to farm this on a High Population server i have one thing to suggest, roll a Gnome on any server tagged with 'NEW PLAYERS'. I did this and in the very room you start in was a Fluxfire Feline and it was infact a Rare on the 1st try. I have done this and several of my guild members and friends have done this as well because like I said on our high pop servers these just don't spawn, on New Player servers these things spawn like crazy. You can also grab the Irradiated Roach whiles your down there too so its a 2 for 1 kinda thing.

Despelled
Pet Score:626
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Despelled » February 8th, 2013, 1:09 am

Baby Ape

While my fellow guild member was farming all of the pets in game he came across the Baby ape actually up in STV. While he told me it was very rare to see he gave me some information to help get this especially on high populations servers, but you have to be a Rogue/Druid in order to do this. While everyone else is running around like chickens with their heads cut off you can take your time and just go Stealth and not have to worry about getting hit or killed by someone of the opposite faction who is jealous about you getting to the pet first. He was the lucky one he came out with a Rare on his first try I got my Rare on my 3rd tame, all while nice and safe in Stealth :D I hope this helps all of the other Dwellers of the Shadows while pet hunting.

Cassuide
Top Rater
Pet Score:2393
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Cassuide » February 8th, 2013, 1:17 am

Nordrassil Wisp may look weak at fist glance but can be very effective against those hard hitting types. It has the move Soul Ward which block a single attack and also has Flash which blinds the target for 2 rounds and since the wisp has very high speed it almost always goes first meaning effectively its more like 3 rounds they are blinded. Don't forget that it is also a magic type meaning it can't take more than 40% of its health in damage. Its other ability Light deals double damage when the target is blinded meaning that it can also hit hard back at the opponent. Keep in mind though using that move set will mean there will be 1 round where all your abilities are on cooldown but of course they will have trouble hitting you while blinded ;)

Primalsiren
Pet Score:1798
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Primalsiren » February 8th, 2013, 1:24 am

Gregarious Grell is great against most tamers and the Pandaren Spirit Tamers. His phase shift used right away dodges their big attacks, follow that with punch and cauterize. I swear he never seems to die! This pet had saved me tons of times because his heal is pretty big and has a relatively short cool down. It can make the fight drag on, but I always use him as my third pet just in case.

Zariya
Top Rater
Pet Score:13396
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Zariya » February 8th, 2013, 1:31 am

Singing Sunflower

My tip is to provide entertainment for my fellow pet collectors.

When you're out and about Azeroth with your Singing Sunflower, do you wish it would babble and sing to you more often? Would you like to be able to babble back? Just copy and paste any of these six commands into your chat line (or create a macro)!

/script PlaySoundFile("Sound\\Event\\Event_PvZ_Babbling.ogg")
/script PlaySoundFile("Sound\\Event\\Event_PvZ_Dadadoo.ogg")
/script PlaySoundFile("Sound\\Event\\Event_PvZ_Doobeedoo.ogg")
/script PlaySoundFile("Sound\\Event\\Event_PvZ_Lalala.ogg")
/script PlaySoundFile("Sound\\Event\\Event_PvZ_Sunflower.ogg")
/script PlaySoundFile("Sound\\Event\\Event_PvZ_Zombieonyourlawn.ogg")

AinesPets
Top Rater
Pet Score:9960
Realm:Blackhand-us

Post by AinesPets » February 8th, 2013, 1:32 am

Onyxian Whelpling / Spawn of Onyxia - is a great pet to use for leveling other pets to 25. The Healing Flame ability allows the little whelpling to solo an entire team of 3 max level pets. Put in your low level pet for a round then let your little dragonkin take care of the rest. If you are facing a team that is a little tougher for your whelpling, put in your Magical Crawdad for a round or two. Use Renewing Mists followed by Wish and your whelpling will be right back in business and ready for the next battle. :)

Zinthas
Top Rater
Pet Score:4654
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Zinthas » February 8th, 2013, 1:35 am

Feline Familiar

Need a little help leveling those rookie pets? Look no further than this furry powerhouse!
Onyx Bite is a solid attack, and great against those pesky fliers.
Stoneskin is a great shield. It will negate most barrage, swarm and dot attacks from squirrels, roaches and fireflies.
Devour to finish them off, and you'll have more than enough health to keep going without having to find your pet bandages.

Kiowa
Top Rater
Pet Score:5349
BattleTag®:Towgrunt#1690
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Kiowa » February 8th, 2013, 1:37 am

A great way to keep low level pets alive against Farmer Nishi is to use Anubisath Idol. When Nishi sends out [npc=]Toothbreaker[/npc] cast Sandstorm during his Sons phase. Then send out your little pet for no damage for one round then switch back to you Idol in time to use Reflection. The Idol should be able to handle the first two pets, then send a Mech pet against [npc=]Brood of Mothran[/npc]. :D

Lorkyn
Pet Score:7513
Realm:Bloodhoof-us

Post by Lorkyn » February 8th, 2013, 1:38 am

Use Azure whelpling's Arcane Storm then switch to Sprite Darter Hatchling 's Arcane Blast for easy dps against flying pets! And they're both so cute!

Derezzed
Top Rater
Pet Score:3012
Realm:Dunemaul-us

Post by Derezzed » February 8th, 2013, 1:42 am

Giant Sewer Rat
Name it after your 'favorite' person and feed it a pet biscuit!
Everyone is going to know how you about so and so without saying a word. :)

You can catch this big boy in the sewers of Dalaran or in the fountain. Breanni may occasionally sell him on the Black Market Auction House, but you may find him cheaper on the regular auction house as this pet is tradeable.
The giant sewer rat is also possible loot from satchels of mystery, obtained by running a heroic dungeon when call to arms is active for your chosen role.
There is an achievement associated with obtaining this pet, 'I smell a giant rat'. You will get the achievement if you fish him up, loot from a bag, or buy from the Black market auction house but not if you get him through a trade or from the normal auction house.
As far as fishing him up goes, it may take you just a few casts and it may take a few thousand. Be persistent! You will get him eventually!
Last edited by Derezzed on February 8th, 2013, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hockeysmile
Pet Score:1298
Realm:Blackhand-us

Post by Hockeysmile » February 8th, 2013, 2:06 am

Hello All,

The highlands turkey, the turkey and the plump turkey all have the ability food coma . This ability is very good for capturing pets in the wild. Simply use food coma to put your opponent to sleep for two turns. Then throw your trap and catch the pet.

Also, all three pets have the ability squawk which doesn't hit for a large amount. This is great for one last minimal hit to enable you to throw your trap. You don't want to risk a critical hit with a powerful ability and kill the pet. This ability allows you to hit the opponent for a little more so you can get them down enough to throw your trap.

Good luck on your safari!
Last edited by Hockeysmile on February 8th, 2013, 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silinia
Pet Score:2220
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Silinia » February 8th, 2013, 2:14 am

Roach

Using this as a starter pet, and opening with apocalypse has won me many battle against pet tamers. Once it hits lvl 20 (or, if you tame it at 22+) you'll be able to start with this, pop Apocalypse, and switch it out. Just be sure you'll keep it alive till the timer ticks. You can use it with any of the beetles/roaches that have it. (just look here at apocalypse to see who they are) Oh, and don't be afraid of burning one of your other pets in the process. That's what they are there for. ;)

Painnlless
Pet Score:2733
Realm:The Scryers-us

Post by Painnlless » February 8th, 2013, 2:19 am

Infested Bear Cub When trying to get your Infested Bear Cub, if there are none up when you arrive at the Azurelode mine area, kill all the Infested bears in the area. Then, after a few minutes, there will be a few Infested Cubs spawning. Pay attention to which Infested Bears the cubs are following. Make sure NOT to aggro those when taming the cubs, because the Infested Bear who spawned the cub will spawn another in a couple minutes, (as long as you don't kill it). Hope this helps!

Ophelyakitty
Pet Score:1260
Realm:Khaz Modan-us

Post by Ophelyakitty » February 8th, 2013, 2:28 am

Hopling

To get this pet simply clear through the stormstout brewery instance and then return to the start and buy 'ling-tings favourite tea' from auntie stormstout. You can now collect the golden hoplings hidden throughout the instance without worring about the timer or drinking multiple teas ;) you will be rewarded your Hopling in the mail

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » February 8th, 2013, 2:30 am

The Cheetah Cub can be found both in Northern Barrens and in a limited part of the north-west tip of Southern Barrens. If you find him in Southern Barrens, he is around level 10 instead of 3 or so.

The tips for the Diemetradon Hatchling and the Infested Bear Cub also apply to this little guy. Go around to the various trees where the Cheetahs spawn... kill any adults that don't have cubs, leave any up that do. It took me just a few passes doing this before I got my rare.

There are a couple places where the cheetahs spawn near where guards path by. One in Southern Barrens and one near Ratchet. In these locations, the guards tend to agro on the adults and will kill them.

When hunting these types of pets, I found it especially useful to do the battles on my rogue while in stealth as that greatly reduced (if not completely eliminated) the chance of agroing the momma.