1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Blissotica
Pet Score:3832
Realm:Dragonblight-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Blissotica » February 15th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Celestial Dragon

One of my all time favourite pets and great for levelling lower pets. The unique combination of Ancient Blessing and Moonfire (magic) or Starfall (dragon) makes this little guy a power house. Ancient Blessing boosts the health of every member on its team (5 health per level) and Moonfire or Starfall provides for extra healing (25%).

For levelling lower level pets I use Celestial Dragon along with Crimson Lasher for the Soothing Mists ability which is a 5 round heal though any pet with a multi round heal would work.

Begin with Celestial Dragon and cast Ancient Blessing followed by Moonfire or Starfall. The choice between Moonfire or Starfall is mostly a matter of preference. Moonfire is the hardest hitting ability on a single target that the Celestial Dragon has while Starfall provides team wide healing for your team and team wide damage against your opponent.
Switch in Crimson Lasher or other multi round healing pet and cast Soothing Mists or the other 5 round heal available, [ability]Nature's Ward[/ability].
At this point you switch in your low level pet for a round. Be sure to pay attention to the pet's abilities when you bring the low level in and try not to bring your low level in against a pet that it will take strong damage from.
Switch back to the Celestial Dragon and finish off the other team. If you need a little extra healing swap in your Crimson Lasher or other multi round heal provider for a round or two allowing Ancient Blessing to run through its cooldown as well as providing some extra healing from the multi round heal ability.

Moonfire - magic damage
Starfall - dragon damage
Moonlight, all pets receive 25% additional healing and Magic abilities deal 10% additional damage.

Ancient Blessing
Celestial Dragon
Chrominius
Crawling Claw
Emerald Proto-Whelp
Fossilized Hatchling
Proto-Drake Whelp
Pterrordax Hatchling
Spirit of Competition

Soothing Mists - 5 round heal
Ammen Vale Lashling
Crimson Lasher
Pandaren Air Spirit

[ability]Nature's Ward[/ability] - 5 round heal
Fawn
Gazelle Fawn
Little Fawn
Winter Reindeer

Interesting side note:
Ancient Blessing stacks with Perk Up allowing for a double health boost.
Pets that have the Perk Up ability:
Highlands Skunk
Lucky Quilen Cub
Mountain Skunk
Perky Pug
Skunk
Stinker
[pet]Wanderer's Festival Hatchling[/pet]

Cyberjus
Pet Score:3962
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Cyberjus » February 15th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Pterrordax Hatchling - Use Feign Death if you are facing any massive offensive attack that has a cooldown. It is especially effective against wind up abilities you can see coming.

Mb229raf
Pet Score:1877
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Mb229raf » February 15th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Anubisath Idol

a pet with good offense nice defense and an auto self heal.

Aristaya
Top Rater
Pet Score:12088
BattleTag®:Lamiria#1820
Realm:Thorium Brotherhood-us

Post by Aristaya » February 15th, 2013, 6:47 pm

A pair of [pet]Landro's Lil' XT[/pet]s, or a one paired up with a [pet]Lil' XT[/pet] makes a great powerleveling team when they alternate their Tympanic Tantrums. This works best against beast-heavy groups; my favorite are the clusters of Plains Monitors in Kun-Lai Summit.

Geneticdork
Pet Score:2758
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Geneticdork » February 15th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Sometimes the smallest and weakest pets are underestimated, with more people preferring pets with hard hitting attacks or special moves. The truth is rabbit pets, such as the Elfin Rabbit, can be a great addition to your team. With both the Burrow and Dodge abilities they can evade otherwise lethal attacks that most pets would be destroyed with. Not to mention their Critter passive being able to break free of Crowd Control effects can swing the tide in your favor. So make sure to pack some carrot snacks and bring your cute comrade along! Happy Pet Battling!

Grishgolug
Pet Score:4857
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Grishgolug » February 15th, 2013, 7:25 pm

Mini Thor is the backbone of my team. He's been my fave since day one. I added Kun-Lai Runt to the team and between the two they are my powerhouse base. I love the Mini Thor Toxic Smoke ability and his Launch Rocket is just amazing. The best part is if he does get beat.. he pops right back up for one last blast! :evil:

Azur
Pet Score:5635
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Azur » February 15th, 2013, 7:45 pm

some pets like the Gilded moth spawns in packs. Vile hunting for a rare it can be tempting to battle all pets in sight. A better way is to leave one pet alive, and mark this pet with a raidmarker. About every 7 minutes new pets with different quality and breeds will spawn alongside the pet you left alive. Meanwhile, kill all other battle pets in the area to get more packs of the pet you are after to spawn. After some time you will have several packs that continuelly spawns new pets.

The same stratrgy can be applied to pets spawning alongside adult versions of themselves, like the Infested Bear Cub. Instead of killing all adults, mark them and they will spawn a new pet in about 7 minutes.

Furor
Pet Score:1202
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Post by Furor » February 15th, 2013, 8:00 pm

Emerald Whelpling

This was the first pet I ever farmed. To capture this pet I found that running in a circle around the little pond in front of the cave is a great way to grab all the whelps and nuke them quickly. Wait about 2 minutes and repeat. The drop rate on this pet can be very frustrating and you will collect many items for sell at the vendor or the auction house. The key to this pet is to be persistent and farm it in hour long intervals so you don't burn yourself out.

For battle this pet can be a great long lasting combatant. His moonfire ability will change the weather to moonlight which will buff his first ability breath when cast after. Tranquility will give your pet a nice self heal that if used every 3 turns should keep your pet up through most abilities. The upgraded abilities emerald bite is useful if you have a magic resistant enemy. Emerald Presence is a good damage resistance that is good to use when your enemy has a buffed ability. Finally Emerald Dream is a improved heal but you will lose a turn so only use this if you can afford a lost turn or if you need the extra boost to heals. The passive skill is very useful when you need to finish off a enemy as this pet will deal a bonus 50 percent more damage after knocking a enemy below 25 percent health. I like to use a dps heavy pet to knock down a enemies health first and then use this pet to finish it off as it seems to be a good finisher. Also good to swap in for a heal or so if you need the extra health on any of your pets. SO start off with moonfire and use breath until you need heals then throw out a tranquility and continue with breath until your target is finished.

Ravenlight
Pet Score:8675
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Ravenlight » February 15th, 2013, 8:09 pm

I have found that leveling pets in half-hill area works very well. Since the first attack of most of the bandicoons is a rev up or defensive move, you can easily use a level 1 pet and switch it out immediately after the first attack. Using 2 25's as backup - leveling is fast.

Araielle
Pet Score:3455
Realm:Uldum-eu

Post by Araielle » February 15th, 2013, 8:29 pm

One of the greatest places to lvl up some pets is The Veiled Stairs. There are lots of lvl25 critters there that die very fast to a Flayer Youngling (or any other pet with beast skills, though the FY is just... amazing with the combination of theses 3 habilities: Triple Snap, Focus and Rampage :P
Plus, the pet healer is very near, next to the housekeeper, and as a last bonus, you can check the Black Market very often if you are biding on one of the items.

If you are already fought all the critters in this area, you can move to the Valley of the Eternal Blossom and start fighting the Striders. They are not as easy as the critters from the Veiled Stairs but they will keep you busy until these are up once again.

Enough said, happy hunt!! :D
Last edited by Araielle on February 15th, 2013, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shevajade
Top Rater
Pet Score:13912
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Shevajade » February 15th, 2013, 8:30 pm

The Viscidus Globule drops from Viscidus in the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj (AQ40). This encounter is extremely frustrating if you are a class that doesn't do frost damage or doesn't hit very fast.

If you don't do frost damage consider bringing Frost Oil to put on your weapon in order to freeze the boss, but remember the ilevel of the weapon cannot be higher than 165. You can also enchant a weapon with Deathfrost or Elemental Force. Even if you are a fast hitting melee class, it may take awhile to get the boss to freeze, but it will eventually happen.

Once the boss is frozen you need to do 30 melee hits within in 30 seconds to get him to shatter. If you cannot do this on your own, try using trinkets that summon mobs to help, such as the Crate of Kidnapped Puppies or Barvo Servant Caller.

Milamber
Pet Score:3244
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by Milamber » February 15th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Silkbead Snail

The Silkbead Snail is probably one of the most underrated Battle Pets, but this little guy holds the power over several important battles for any pet collector. Against all the Pandaren Spirits, for sure. I know most posts recommend the Silkbead Snails more recognizable cousin the Rapana Whelk but the Silkbead Snail comes out on top IMO. For one he just looks cooler! :D

In a few totally unrelated Pet Collector tips, Did You Know...

1. In all I have collected over 20 battle stones of various families and 1 Flawless Battle-Stone and all of them has come from Wild Pet Battles. None of the bags has dropped a stone for me. What seems to produce them is when leveling a lowbie against the family of pets that you need the stone, repeatedly. Got 3 Flawless Critter Battle-Stone and 4 Flawless Aquatic Battle-Stone like almost back to back, like this.

2. Verified tip from others: Get a DK on a low pop server and that Minfernal and Scourged Whelpling will be yours in no time. I got mine on my first trip into each zone!

Enjoy!

Sken
Pet Score:1331
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Sken » February 15th, 2013, 8:54 pm

In the early levels of pet battles, you just can't go wrong with Murkablo. Blast of Hatred nearly guaranteed me a win every time. As you level him up, you'll get Bone Prison and Scorched Earth, which are my other favorite abilities to use.

Tesselleta
Top Rater
Pet Score:5699
Realm:Eonar-us

Post by Tesselleta » February 15th, 2013, 9:04 pm

:mrgreen: The flayer youngling not only is humanoid-taking less damage from critters, it has rampage , and triple snap that do more damage to critters. It makes an awesome pet to level other pets, can take out 3 level 25 wild critters easily. The ability reflection is useful to do damage without taking any, and the some of the abilities the flayer can to look really funny, especially stampede-mini flayers running all over the place! :lol:

Batanen
Top Rater
Pet Score:1059
Realm:Khadgar-us

Post by Batanen » February 15th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Spectral Tiger Cub

Use Evanescence at the start of a fight against a stronger enemy to secure your advantage early on with the free turn you gain from it. Follow this up with Leap for the extra speed bonus for your next attack to seal the deal. Of course the hardest part will be tearing your eyes away from how adorable he is to actually battle your opponent. Best of luck to all you aspiring pet battlers out there.

Weeone
Pet Score:2501
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Weeone » February 15th, 2013, 9:18 pm

If you want to level up lots of pets, Pterrordax Hatchling is a great help. Against the neverending Aquatic pets in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, its Lift-Off and Slicing Wind abilities tear through their health, while its Ancient Blessing heals it for over 500 damage at Level 25. Start with two low-level pets have them in for one round each, and then solo the encounter with the Hatchling. Rinse, and repeat!

Moraven
Pet Score:2597
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Post by Moraven » February 15th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Darkmoon Rabbit - The Darkmoon Rabbit is a good choice when you are looking to level up pets on pet master trainers. His fast speed combined with Dodge & Burrow allow him to avoid a lot of damage giving him the ability to take out 1.5-2 pets solo.

Mightywashtub
Pet Score:3284
Realm:The Scryers-us

Post by Mightywashtub » February 15th, 2013, 9:27 pm

I killed all of the rats around the Dalaran crater in an effort to get the Lofty Libram to spawn and was successful after about 30 minutes. Don't forget to go all the way around the rim of the crater even if there aren't any buildings.

Antidentite

Post by Antidentite » February 15th, 2013, 9:32 pm

Terrible Turnip

After months of tending my farm, I finally got this guy. He was totally worth the effort, with his weakening blow ability being invaluable for preventing accidental deaths of pets you are trying to capture. With this guy on your team, you just cant be beet.

Brotherjeffery
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Post by Brotherjeffery » February 15th, 2013, 9:34 pm

Lofty Libram

It can be found around the Dalaran Crater in the Hillsbrad Foothills. It has a low spawn chance. The best way to get it is not to fly around and wait, but rather to engage in battles with the other pets in the area because there is a chance that the Lofty Libram will appear as the backup in the fight.