1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
No1schmuck
Pet Score:4018
Realm:Kargath-us
Swinging in the Dark

Post by No1schmuck » February 14th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Pandaren Monk provides incredible damage and moderate survivability. Under Darkness weather, all pets are Blinded, improving the Pandaren Monk with the use of Focus Chi followed by Fury of 1,000 Fists to start with. This automatically stuns the target for one round and causes massive damage, setting up the Pandaren Monk for the next attack: Takedown. Although its normal damage is substandard, it is doubled when the target is stunned. While Fury of 1,000 Fists is under cooldown, Takedown is used one more time and then Focus Chi. Fury of 1,000 Fists will be available for one more use before Darkness expires. Finally, Takedown is used one more time if the target still lives.

Ryna
MVP

Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Ryna » February 14th, 2013, 6:30 pm

Despite (or perhaps because of) his surly disposition, the Purple Puffer is one of the more powerful aquatics. His pump is capable of soloing several of the trainers, such as Bloodknight Antari, Farmer Nishi, and Seeker Zusshi. Surge guarantees that he will go first so you can get that bit of damage in before your opponent's pet is unattackable while it winds up for a big attack. A nice heal keeps him up for longer, and coupled with any pet that has Cleansing Rain (such as Sea Pony or Aqua Strider) makes a devastating combination against more than elementals.

Adtz123
Pet Score:637
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Adtz123 » February 14th, 2013, 6:35 pm

3x Scalded Basilisk Hatchling from Blade Edge's Mountain

Get 3 of these with the speed build preferably, and own pvp pet battles. Crystal-prison,Feign-death,Thrash. Safe absolute rotation will be stun-trash-feign death, but sometimes it is better to change your rotation so enemy will not notice your pattern. For instance stun-trash-trash-feign death

The most important decision is to use Feign-death at the right moment, for example use it when you know/predict that your opponent will use Reflection to reflect your Crystal-prison, or in the case of Feign-death still on CD, you can just pass.

You will mos likely use Crystal-prison everytime it is not on CD. Scalded Basilisk Hatchling has above average speed stat, so you will benefit greatly from this ability since you are faster than your opponents. Same thing with Thrash where you get better chances with more hits with faster speed.

Feign-death is the most useful ability in the game with a mere 5 rounds CD. Use it to avoid massive attacks, stuns or to swap companions with nothing to lose! You will have most of the ability up and ready to use again most of the time right after Feign-death

Against enemies with higher speed stat, you can get Screech on 1 of your Scalded-Basilisk-Hatchling

Going against 3x Scalded Basilisk Hatchling:
The counter for this combination would be to use flying pets such as Gilnean-Raven, or a combination of super speedy pet with disabling abilities (stuns/flinches) and weather effects that proves unfavourable like Arcane Storm

However, I can say that the winning ratio of this combo on pet battle finder is >80%, at least until Blizz nerf them!

Not so important tip:
I named my 3 lizards: You, Mad and Bro
Just to make opponents even madder

Good luck with the contest!

Botch58
Pet Score:8557
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Botch58 » February 14th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Nightsaber Cub

No tips or tricks just a heart felt bond with this pet. This pet reminds me of my sweet Koko whom I miss dearly after a short battle with liver cancer. Every time I have him out it brings back fond memories. R.I.P Koko forever in my heart.

Dantbadger
Pet Score:4789
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Dantbadger » February 14th, 2013, 8:06 pm

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/hu ... sath-idol/ is rapidly becoming one of my favorite pets. While not yet as nasty as my http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/hu ... youngling/, I think when at lvl 20 he might just surpass him. I have learned as with all pets with reflect, be aware of who you are facing, sometimes it's not always best to hit it first thing, however there are times you should if you know your opponents pet has a heavy sot they can start with.

Raziya
Pet Score:4131
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Raziya » February 14th, 2013, 8:27 pm

Anubisath Idol is an amazing pet due to it's Sandstorm ability - a potent weather effect that negates the damage that would be caused to you from not only just DoTs, but also small, quick attacks, like Stampede. This allows you to effortlessly breeze past Courageous Yon and Grand Master Aki if you are looking for some easy experience for a lower level pet, or just working on completing your dailies. It also has access to Reflect, which is a powerful counter to many abilities, especially two turn attacks like Geyser, Lift Off, or Burrow.

Rightur
Top Rater
Pet Score:3014
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Rightur » February 14th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Catching Minfernal can seem like impossible.

A small but IMPORTANT tip: Instead of having your character logged in, sitting in an area forever. Instead do this: just log from time to time and look for the pet in the 'outer' spawn spots. Make sure you use an addon that shows you the spawn points percisely, such as PetTracker, which can be downloaded here at http://www.warcraftpets.com/downloads/pet_addons/

So what you will do is go around the 'outer' spawn spots for Minfernal or also Scourged Whelpling. You will be amazed how many people would camp over the main central spots and miss spawns on the outer spawn points. This is how I got my Minfernal. :D

Lepaulard

Post by Lepaulard » February 14th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Rabid Nut Varmit 5000

Although rather difficult to obtain due to the many possible breeds, I've found a 5/15 breed of this pet to be highly effective at taking out most of the more difficult beasts encounters. Give it a shot and see what you think.

For your primary attack in almost every situation you'll be using Metal Fist because this pet is chosen for its anti-beast capability. Even though it's a fast breed and Thrash would get an extra attack, it is still going to be inferior for this purpose.

During an encounter you'll want to open up with Extra Plating and try to obtain maximum uptime (use it again when it's off cd). This and most other avoidance/reduction type defensive abilities are much more effective when you're able to attack before your opponent (the reason the 5/15 breed is so nice) because they provide their bonuses for an additional round (the one you used the ability). These abilities also typically do not use your pet's power level to determine their effectiveness (exceptions being Shell Shield and other similar abilities that provide a scalar reduction). Some knowledge of enemy abilities and their cooldowns can also insure that these abilities are up to block or reduce the enemy's most damaging attacks.

Your slot three ability will determine what you use next - for more defensive beasts like Major Payne's Grizzle you may want to have and follow up with Rabid Strike in this slot in order to help kill him more quickly during Hibernate. Now you get to enjoy the benefit of a greatly increased damage debuff but without subjecting yourself to significant downside either (remember you've got Extra Plating). You'll easily dispatch Grizzle with consecutive Metal Fists and make a good dent into Beakmaster X225 (assuming Grizzle was first in the lineup) and have a good opportunity if you choose to debuff it with Rabid Strike as well. A fast critter with some evasion capability such as an Arctic Hare would be a great followup pet to complete the battle with Beastmaster X225 and Bloom leaving you a free slot to level your choice of pet (I'd recommend putting it first with Grizzle, anticipating a possible Bash on his first move and then switch in your Rabid Nut Varmit 5000.

In other matchups against more offensive-oriented beasts or if you just prefer a more defensive mindset you may consider using Repair as your slot three ability instead of Rabid Strike. This will be used more on demand as needed to heal your pet for significant amounts of damage. It won't be as effective on this breed as on a 4/14 power breed, but it really doesn't matter much because the Extra Plating is keeping damage levels done by your opponent so low. This method converts the Rabid Nut Varmit 5000 into an even more tank-capable pet. It's a great method to use for Fezwick on Darkmoon Island and one you can effectively utilize against Judgement before taking on the dreaded monkey. You don't really need to race to kill Fezwick and having Extra Plating on your side will swing things wildly in your favor and prevent that crazy damage from stacking up too high too fast. Just be careful not to try to use Repair when Fezwick's Clobber will come off cooldown during the charge time (I personally don't use it against him but I make sure I'm nearly topped off when I finish Judgement).

If you weren't able to get a 5/15 Rabid Nut Varmint 5000, don't despair as many of these moves are available on other pets and the most important point - try to use pets faster than your opponents if possible for defensive abilities like Extra Plating, Evanescence, Dodge, Shield Block, Soul Ward and the like. Preventing or reducing an extra round of damage can be sometimes just the edge you need.

Pomelo
Pet Score:1012
Realm:Dragonmaw-us

Post by Pomelo » February 14th, 2013, 9:17 pm

It's been so much fun reading everyone's tips and really helpful, too! I wish I had something similar to submit, but unfortunately a long and drawn-out move has kept me from really diving into MoP the way I have with previous expansions, so I have little to offer in that department. For now, the best tip(s) I have for one of my most cherished pets is, this..

Clockwork Gnome: Is a Titan created, clockwork mechagnome. Personally, I named mine Tik Tok. He's ever my protector and will often refer to himself as the Royal Army of Azeroth. He seems to be a huge fan of teaming up with my Westfall Chicken and Sinister Sqashling. But, on occasion he has been known to slow down and even stop dead in his tracks. Sometimes he can talk, but not move, and other times he can move, but not speak. In case you've ever experienced similar problems with your very own Royal Army of Azeroth, here's what I suggest:

FOR THINKING · WIND №1 UNDER LEFT ARM
FOR SPEAKING · WIND №2 UNDER RIGHT ARM
FOR WALKING & ACTION · WIND №3 MIDDLE OF BACK

Also, I would recommend being sensitive when in conversation with your Clockwork Gnome. Tik Tok often gets in heated discussions with me about how Ghostcrawler owes him a Gump, but how a Moose will suffice. Or, at least a Moose head, as he puts it, as long as we can find a comfortable sofa. It's a little odd, but I just figure he's got a screw loose somewhere. And, when we're not too busy, we're always hunting down some sort of magic powder, on the side. Weaugh! Teaugh! Peaugh! ... I'm not sure why I just said that. All in all, the Clockwork Gnome is a fantastically valuable companion to have on your team! I just wish mine would stop calling my gnome warlock Dorothy, from time to time. That's not her name. ;3

+10 awesome points to anyone who can guess the Baum inspired cult classic these tips reference! \{◕ O ◕}/

Sharleendk
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Sharleendk » February 14th, 2013, 9:34 pm

A setup that usually works for me, I'd say at least 80% win ratio.

Minfernal
Blighthawk
Scourged Whelpling

(I have Minfernal as the nr1 pet to trick my opponents into thinking I will start with him)

1. I start out with Blighthawk, if I'm faster than the opponent I will start with lift-off followed by ghostly bite, if both abilities hit thats around 1400 damage on my opponent.

2. I then switch to Scourged Whelpling and use Call Darkness and then spam Tail Sweep, when either my opponent or my Scourged Whelpling dies I switch back to Blighthawk to do Ghostly Bite again.

3. I switch to Minfernal at this point my Blighthawk is usually still alive with low hp (if he dies I continue with him until he dies from the undead racial). As for my Minfernal I pretty much use this to counter Fluxfire Feline but it's OK against other opponents also.

I start with Extra Plating then I go for Crush and Meteor Strike if I anticipate a hard attack when my Extra Plating has worn off.

Usually my team wins before my Minfernal dies, I tend to not use the comet ability cause it always misses.

The main reason my team is usually the winner is the way it counters some of the most used pets (Anubisath Idol, Flayer Youngling and Fluxfire Feline), Ghostly Bite is devastating against Humanoid pets. I always wait with Ghostly Bite against the Reflection pets until they have used their Reflection.

I lose often to teams using Rabbit pets and the Darkmoon Zeppelin (I sometimes manage using Scourged whelpling to counter the Decoy)

Evileye23
Pet Score:2779
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Evileye23 » February 14th, 2013, 9:45 pm

Having trouble defeating the Pandaren Elemental Spirits to obtain your pet versions of them? Here are a few pets I have found useful in a daily farming of the spirits that has helped me get multiple copies of the Pandaren Air Spirit, Pandaren Earth Spirit, Pandaren Fire Spirit and Pandaren Water Spirit.

Flayer Youngling

This versatile little guy is obviously handy for his Reflection ability, but also serves as solid damage with Blitz and Rampage, as most of the back up pets the spirits use are dragonkin and critters.

Magical Crawdad

The magical Mr. Pinchy here could teach the tanking classes a thing or two about defense! Magical Crawdad sports nearly 1900 HP at level 25 and is nearly impossible to take down with his ability combo Shell Shield and Wish. His damage with either Snap or Surge is pretty minimal, but if you don't mind an endurance fight, he is very useful against critters and the elemental spirit pets.

Tolai Hare

Not expecting this cute little fella to be very useful? To be honest, I only use him when fighting the Pandaren Earth Spirit. The reason behind this is because Tolai Hare is a critter, which means any elemental damage is weak to him. Also, being a critter means that the Pandaren Earth Spirit's multiple stuns wear off at the end of the turn, making them useless. Add all this up with the Tolai Hare's 305 speed (which makes him JUST a little faster than the Earth Spirit) and it puts a big dent in the Earth Spirit's usefulness. Really if you have any critter that has a 305 speed you will find one of the most annoying pet battles in the game to be pretty easy.

Alfeagtigt
Top Rater
Pet Score:4382
Realm:Terokkar-eu

Post by Alfeagtigt » February 14th, 2013, 10:43 pm

I just want to tell witch companion i like the most-Cinder Kitten is good on most critters with Rend and Leap that gives speedboost. But best of all is that hes so entertaining when he is licking hes paws and rolling around like he dosent care much about the fights :)

Emi
Top Rater
Pet Score:3222
Realm:Khadgar-us

Post by Emi » February 14th, 2013, 11:03 pm

Gilnean Raven is my very favourite pet! Use Call Darkness and then Nocturnal Strike and that will usually kill your opponent!

" But the raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only,
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did out pour.
Nothing further then he uttered - not a feather then he fluttered -
Till I scarcely more than muttered `Other friends have flown before -
On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before.'
Then the bird said, 'Nevermore'."

Tyledres
Pet Score:3443
Realm:Drak'Tharon-us

Post by Tyledres » February 14th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Anubisath Idol

A tip for farming Anubisath Idol off the twins. It drops off Emperor Vek'lor, the one that only takes magic damage. So if you're soloing the Twins and only focusing on Emperor Vek'nilash you won't ever see the pet drop. You have to make sure that Vek'lor takes enough magic damage so that's his loot table also shows up.

When I ran on my dk, I went blood and used death and decay, disease, and some death coils on Vek'lor while focusing mostly on Vek'nilash.

On my druid I would use ff, moonfire, and some wraths at the beginning of the fight before changing to kitty and killing Vek'nislash.

Thorsvalkyrie
Pet Score:770
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Thorsvalkyrie » February 14th, 2013, 11:38 pm

My claim to pet fame will always be my Fetish Shaman, a great little pet and a great game came with it :D

Jera
Pet Score:652
Realm:Grim Batol-eu

Post by Jera » February 14th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Nordrassil Wisp

If you're looking for an interesting name for a pet connected to elven lore (it could be a Nordrassil Wisp , a Teldrassil Sproutling , a Faerie Dragon or the like), you can use this "elven word generator" made by Kheldul from dungeoneer.com for inspiration: http://www.dungeoneer.com/cgi-bin/dragons/elvish?num=25

It will initially suggest random words inspired by Tolkien, but you can also ask for words related to certain things, e.g. silver, forest, shadow.

I hope you find something of interest! ^^

Elryn
Pet Score:8856
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Elryn » February 14th, 2013, 11:45 pm

Hunting the mildly elusive Giraffe Calf? Make a macro! Spamming a macro is easier than checking each battle pet on you map, or trying to spot the correct giraffe from the air.

Dearth
Pet Score:1732
BattleTag®:Megoman#1717
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Dearth » February 15th, 2013, 1:02 am

Core Hound Pup

If you have an iphone or ipad you can get the Authenticator in the form as a free app in itunes.

Xhutch
Pet Score:4547
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Xhutch » February 15th, 2013, 1:24 am

For the epic pet battle in the vale, i believe the thundering pandaren spirit daily, this is the go to team for easy win. I start the battle with my Nordrassil Wisp. I always make sure hes starting against the Pandaren Earth Spirit since ive found its the fastest way to win. You need to capture a Nordrassil Wisp with good speed so he goes first. Now he has a shield ability, Soul Ward, that will block an attack. The Pandaren Earth Spirit will most likely use his stun first, Crystal Prison, so i hit Soul Ward, he stuns me, i pass(dont swap pets), he uses his other big ability, Rupture, which is blocked by Soul Ward, i then blind him with Flash, and then i spam Beam until i see his next big ability, which will be Crystal Prison coming off cooldown then rinse and repeat and its good bye Pandaren Earth Spirit. Then after you have finished off the spirit you should be good to go. I follow with the Fluxfire Feline and the Emerald Turtle depending on which pet is in will depend who goes in after the Nordrassil Wisp dies. Hope this makes for easy daily farm and good hunting!

Malkil
MVP
Pet Score:9193
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Malkil » February 15th, 2013, 1:33 am

Feline Familar will help you level your pets with ease.

Get one up to level 25. Using a battle stone on it to make it rare is recommended, but not required. Then equip it with the following abilities:

Pounce
Stoneskin
Devour

The following wild pets can be found in The Veiled Stair, all of which are critters (which your Feline Familar's attacks will be strong against):

Bandicoon
Malayan Quillrat
Malayan Quillrat Pup

Use a low level pet (even a level 1 pet has a chance of surviving if the opposing pet uses Spiked Skin or Survival, then use any available ability. This will flag your low level pet as having participated in the fight (and thus get exp for the battle). Note that the ability doesn't have to hit in order for it to count.

After this, if your pet survived, switch to your Feline Familar. If not, then go to the nearby stable master (Kama the Beast Tamer outside of the Tavern in the Mists and heal your pet for 10s.

Your Feline Familiar should then keep up Stoneskin, which will reduce the damage all attacks and completely negate the damage from Poison Fang and Spiked Skin. After that, use Pounce to get the opposing pets to about 700 health or less (may vary if Spiked Skin is being used) and use Devour to finish them off. This will usually heal your Feline Familiar to full or nearly-full, allowing for you to level your pets with minimal risk.