1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Zarhan
Pet Score:4748
BattleTag®:Zarhan#2663
Realm:Dragonblight-eu
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Zarhan » February 14th, 2013, 3:23 am

Firefly

Perfect for capturing low level pets even at high level itself. Just use Confusing Sting and wait for it to be capturable.

Faelar
Top Rater
Pet Score:6744
BattleTag®:Faelar#1331
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Faelar » February 14th, 2013, 4:25 am

Moonkin Hatchling
While not the strongest pet the best thing I've found is using Entangling Roots when you know an enemy is about to take to the air or hide under the ground.The roots will not miss despite the enemy being in the air or underground. That way you do not waste a turn swinging at empty air! The following round the pet will take big damage from your roots and your Moonfire to the face!

Iskra
Pet Score:13201
Realm:Khadgar-us

Post by Iskra » February 14th, 2013, 5:03 am

Shimmering Wyrmling

This pet is amazingly strong when trying to battle Grand Master trainers, and level pets. It has decent HP, an above average normal attack, the ability to reduce opponent damage output, and finally it has Reflection. Granted its getting nerfed in 5.2, but the ability to every 5 turns negate an opponents attack is huge. Not to mention the immense versatility it brings in reflecting multi-turn set up attacks, or huge single hits, or simply reflecting an attack of a type you dont otherwise have available. And finally, its magic type, so those immense hits the grand masters epic or legendary pets can land, are capped at 40% of HP.

Isolt
Pet Score:1891
Realm:Wildhammer-eu

Post by Isolt » February 14th, 2013, 5:20 am

Remember not to go into battles with only 10hps on your Alpine Foxling, or any other pet for that matter. Dying instantly doesn't capture the rare. Doh! :lol:

Skexis

Post by Skexis » February 14th, 2013, 6:16 am

[pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet].

Warning! Do not use Magma Wave on Sons of the Flame or Sons of the Root as this will crash and end your petbattle too soon, Executus!

Sethalaen
Pet Score:3012
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Sethalaen » February 14th, 2013, 7:14 am

Despite their less than impressive appearances, the various snails in game are remarkably good for dealing with the Pandaren Spirit Tamers' elemental pets.

I personally use Silkbead Snail but any snail will do, though ones with more speed or more health are better, just in case. Going first or being able to take a hit harder is always good!

Snails are highly effective against Elementals for multiple reasons.
1. They are Critters, and thus take less damage from any Elemental Abilities.
2. Absorb is not a huge heal, but it can be used every single round, giving you steady heals, which are good for long-lasting fights. The other first slot ability, Ooze Touch is also excellent if you are planning ahead and their next pet is a Flying pet and does a nice bit of damage.
3. Acidic Goo is excellent to use against Elementals when paired with Burrow, to make it hit even harder. Shell Shield is also good for an Elemental that tends to give debuffs, such as Wild Winds or Cyclone.
4. Burrow is an Aquatic ability and does extra damage against Elementals, plus allows you to avoid big attacks if you time correctly. Headbutt is not as heavy-hitting, but still a good go-to nuke.

In short, the adorable little boogers are wonderful for fighting Elementals and often overlooked, but they are tailor-made to deal with those pesky Elementals.

Another extremely durable, self-healing pet is the Emerald Proto-Whelp. This little dragon is tough-as-nails with his Emerald Dream heal. Very few pets can do enough damage fast enough to kill him before it completes and when it does, he's usually at or near full health. Pair it with Emerald Presence and this fellow is nearly immortal.
Last edited by Sethalaen on February 14th, 2013, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bossy
Pet Score:5269
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Bossy » February 14th, 2013, 8:05 am

Diemetradon Hatchling

If you want to get this 'lil guy and none are up, a good way to farm the Elder Diemetradons is to choose 3 -4, and keep killing them until some start spawning with hatchlings. Raid mark the "mother" diemetradons to make sure you don't kill them.

I chose a small area that I could see from my flying mount, and watched the three I had raid marked, along with clearing out the other 4 - 5 that would spawn, hoping for more "mother" spawns.

Doing this, it didn't take long at all to gain a lovely little rare version of this cutie.

Zurcn
Top Rater
Pet Score:3286
BattleTag®:zurcn#2228
Realm:Aggra (Português)-eu

Post by Zurcn » February 14th, 2013, 8:12 am

Magical crawdad
Extremely durable, if you run it with renewing mists and wish you'll find that there are very few pets who can take it out without flying moves.

Nephelle
Pet Score:13082
Realm:Nordrassil-eu

Post by Nephelle » February 14th, 2013, 8:39 am

I love dragons! Maybe it's a gnome thing , having a magnificent creature flying alongside you, making you feel more powerful. You know, like those dwarves that build the enormous places with the very tall ceilings! :P

And dragons are indeed powerful! Either whelps, serpents, mechanical or undead ones, they can help you overcome even that pain of a tamer DMF one(I still think that this monkey of his cheat!). So many dragons to choose from, so many abilities for different situations. And in most cases they even deserve "the undying" title for themselves :D

My old time classic one is Onyxian Whelpling.This beauty has helped me lvl all my baby pets without even sweating.
Strong Tail Sweep, a Lift-Off to avoid annoying pet abilities like burrow, dive, whirlpool etc, and a Healing Flame which combined with his slower speed than the other pets, makes him a star!

[pet]Lil' Tarecgosa [/pet], Celestial Dragon and Nexus Whelpling are "wins" against flying pets. Use Nexus' Wild Magic or Arcane Storm and follow with his Mana Surge , sit back and enjoy the show :)

I also love my Emerald Proto-Whelp. Great attacks vs magic creatures and ofc his Ancient Blessing. I used her to boost my Highlands Skunk and I saw that his Perk Up worked together with the ancient blessing :o

And ofc, don't forget all these lovely dragon serpents with their Call Lightning that can be really devastating when combined with a mechanical pet!

Take a dragon in your family, you won't regret it :D (well maybe you will, when she/he starts eating all the sheep and your chicken :P )

Ravenmare
Pet Score:5533
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ravenmare » February 14th, 2013, 8:58 am

Alpine Foxling

I have been wonderfully surprised at how versatile this pet can be. Countless times I've taken down a full team with a rare version of this pet. I use Bite Howl and Leap. The damage boost of howl is amazing (coupled with a Bite after), and doesn't miss too often. Leap is great when you need a bit of speed to have the first attack. :)

Legedaryk
Pet Score:2179
Realm:Shadowsong-us

Post by Legedaryk » February 14th, 2013, 9:41 am

I use my hopling all the time. His stats make him much more useful then the feral vermling.

His high speed benefits most of his abilities.

Merlista
Realm:Perenolde-us

Post by Merlista » February 14th, 2013, 10:29 am

Tiny Sporebat

If you love Dragons (and who doesn't!) you might want a dragon team. Other than your mechanical and dragon pets, all of the others fall into either the ImNotLuckyEnoughToHaveGottenThatOneYet, LooksTooMuchLikeABird, ImTooCheap or JustPlainUgly categories. The Tiny Sporebat nicely rounds-out a dragon-themed team without going too far outside the look and feel.
Last edited by Merlista on February 14th, 2013, 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Nurot
Pet Score:3591
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Nurot » February 14th, 2013, 10:36 am

When capturing a Sumprush Rodent be sure to let all your friends know so they can come and grab one as well. In doing this everyone gets the pet as they spawn constantly for 20 minutes from the crate. If you still have some pets from the zone to upgrade as well the secondary pets from these can be uncommon and rare zone spawns as well. Also in bringing your friends, if you manage to NOT get a rare pet in the alloted time, make it a condition that with them coming along, when they have enough commendations for their own crate that they bring you along as well and everybody is sure to win.

Emsidoodles

Post by Emsidoodles » February 14th, 2013, 10:38 am

Crimson Geode - When trying to capture pets such as this, who use Stone Rush, use a pet with 100% dodge abilities such as Nether Faerie Dragon with Evanescence.

Use it once the pet is low enough health to capture, if the pet can't hit you, it can't damage (and kill) itself!

Rasfred
Top Rater
Pet Score:5337
Realm:Terokkar-eu

Post by Rasfred » February 14th, 2013, 10:57 am

For an eggciting pet fight with eggxtraordinary results, an always eggcellent choice for a pet will be your trustworthy Egbert. He'll eggxceed your every eggxpectations with his great fighting eggxpertise and ensure you an eggxtreme eggxperience :)

This is a well dokumented fact, supported by the best pet fighting eggxperts out there ;)

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Ysabell » February 14th, 2013, 11:12 am

Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling is the only mechanical pet (takes reduced damage from magic attacks) with a dragon attack (does increased damage against magic pets). This makes him especially useful in fighting challenging pets in the magic family and well worth your consideration for use of your first mechanical or even generic battlestone upgrade.

Aetherion
Pet Score:2569
Realm:Suramar-us

Post by Aetherion » February 14th, 2013, 11:15 am

Call Lightning also works with Area of Effect abilities! Using it and switching to a pet with abilities like Magma Wave, Tidal Wave, and Whirlwind will essentially give those moves 25-35% increased damage done for the remainder of the lightning storm (Depending on stats/levels/etc.).

I'm particularly fond of using [pet]Lil' XT[/pet]'s Tympanic Tantrum as it also benefits from the 25% bonus mechanical damage. :D

Ziel
Pet Score:3390
Realm:Twisting Nether-eu

Post by Ziel » February 14th, 2013, 11:22 am

minfernal
When looking for this pet create a character (dk is a good choice) on a low populated realm of your choice. Then camp it near his spawn points. I've found him by logging in during server reset (3am) on the lower pop realm I used to play on. Even though blizzard states that he shouldn't spawn then he's been spawning a lot during that time for me. Same thing with other pets like the cogblade raptor. Even with CRZ low pop realms usually have a lot less players around so you wont have that much competition and around 3am server time the servers on all realms are a lot less populated anyway.