1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Wolffe
Pet Score:1766
Realm:Llane-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Wolffe » February 9th, 2013, 10:35 am

Armadillo Pup

If you know you are going for the Critter Kill Squad achievement and you are still leveling your character, be sure to level through Mt Hyjal and Uldum. Both of these zones are full of critters to kill as you quest.

As an added bonus, both of these zones are chock full of battle pets, so it's easy to level your pets as you quest and kill critters! Killing three birds with one zone, as it were. :D

Waddatoe
Pet Score:2076
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Post by Waddatoe » February 9th, 2013, 10:47 am

So, there's this guy most of us have met. You never really see him. You know he was there though, because he dropped his Toy Train Set in the Auction House. Your Wind-Up Train Wrecker is still on cooldown from the last train fan.

Summon your [pet] Lil' XT [/pet] or [pet] Landro's Lil' XT [/pet]. He'll like the train. He'll like it a lot. In fact, he'll like it so much that he'll break it into several blessedly silent pieces. The best thing is- he doesn't have a cooldown. He'll like the 16th train just as much as the first one.

You'll be saving eardrums one Auction House at a time.

My Lil' eardrum hero in action:

Sedaii
MVP
Pet Score:8199
BattleTag®:Sedaii#1645
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Sedaii » February 9th, 2013, 10:49 am

Scourged Whelpling - I think we all agree that this has to be one of the lowest availability pets with some of the highest competition. I had alts on 3 servers camped out. I checked them regularly for several weeks and no luck. Then I took the advice given by another poster and waited for a server restart. Of course, a whole lot of other people probably read that same tip because when I got into position, it was very heavily camped.

Here's my tip: I know the more addons you have enabled, the longer it can take to load into a zone, so I disabled all of my addons before the restart. As soon as the realm was available again, I logged in, the little green paws were there, and I got my scourged whelpling! I really believe that few extra seconds gave me the advantage I needed to get him before they were all tagged :mrgreen:

Happy Hunting!

Sedaii
Attachments
Scourged_Whelpling_2-9-13.JPG
One that didn't get away.
Scourged_Whelpling_2-9-13.JPG (59.4KiB)Viewed 5646 times
Last edited by Guest on February 15th, 2013, 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Suicune
Pet Score:2665
Realm:Azuremyst-us

Post by Suicune » February 9th, 2013, 10:59 am

Aqua Strider (my personal choice, though any water strider will work)- A great, fast way to power level pets that are level one use this pet's Soothe ability. I usually have my strider (doesn't even have to be level 25, but the higher the better) in my first slot, my level one pet, and a flayer (any pet with moves strong against critters works- preferably level 25) and do this in Valley of the Four Winds. The abundance of pets to battle so close together (as well as a trainer daily) can help you quickly level pets. Everyone has their own way of power leveling, I feel like I get the best results here. The Valley has been known to have a decent droprate for Critter Stones, and you may even come across flawless stones as well. If you are stalking Galleon, this is a great way to pass time constructively!

Soothe helps you ensure that your level one pet will not be hit accidentally, one-shotting it. Cast the ability, let the strider take the first hit, swap your level one pet in and attack, swap to your 'critter killer' immediately- you should be able to wipe the whole wild pet team out with the last pet. Once your pet goes through one or two of these battles, they should be fine to take at least one hit from the trainer (Nishi).

Swap your strider if so desired to a different pet for Nishi. Emperor Crab is good due to heals and strong elemental counters. I find that swapping the lowbie pet in to tag Nishi's Singing Sunflower, then swapping out works great, as it's turn is mostly self heals. Wearing your Safari Hat while doing all of this will yield the best results- in a short amount of time you will have boosted a level one to roughly halfway to 25! Including the trainer daily is just that- a daily thing. Your mileage will vary depending on the type of pet you are leveling, though if you have strong teams for some of the other dailies (possibly even the legendary trainers), and are able to two-pet them, with your lowbie being able to survive one hit, you can quite possibly burn through levels super fast with minimal fuss or headaches.

Xenomist
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Ner'zhul-us

Post by Xenomist » February 9th, 2013, 11:08 am

Here is a tip when leveling or just clearing out extra wild pets:

Razzashi Hatchling is great at killing wild pets. As many are critters this guy makes quick work of them. The best part is don't forget to Devour each pet as it dies. Built in healing that won't even slow your damage! Unless your fighting a bunch of rares in a row you will never need to heal him up.

Keimoo
Pet Score:1981
Realm:Winterhoof-us

Post by Keimoo » February 9th, 2013, 11:12 am

Pandaren Monk

I find this guy a great pet to battle with when collecting. He didn't take much damage and would give enough damage to be able to capture the pet you want. He seems to always be in my main three when out leveling

Natallina
Pet Score:4065
Realm:Hydraxis-us

Post by Natallina » February 9th, 2013, 11:32 am

Core Hound Pup

Use the Core Hound's Howl ability, along with a move such as Surge of Power from[pet] Lil' Tarecgosa[/pet], for a super powered finishing move. At low levels, it's nearly guaranteed to one shot whatever you are fighting!

Delillah
Top Rater
Pet Score:2309
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Delillah » February 9th, 2013, 11:35 am

The Spirit of Competition has to be my 'go to' pet. While this little guy was only available during the Chinese Olympics as a pvp reward, any old players who over looked him might want to go back and try him out. Brightly colored and full of a variety of abilities, don't let him fool you, he packs a punch.

At level 25 he has 1627 health, 289 attack, and a speed of only 244... but that speed is a plus in fact. His ability on the first tier after level 10 makes up for that. Tail Sweep: 278 Dragonkin damage and 108 damage if he goes last. This packs quiet a punch verses Magical pets. While his little brother, the Celestial Dragon does get some nice magical abilities his level 10 ability is Roar which is Beast damage. The secondary ability for the Spirit of Competition is a choice between a bonus for three rounds 25% attack power/154 damage on a Magic based ability or a lovely heal 432 health, Ancient Blessing, which is increased by Moonlight, so his little brother, gets a nice combo there. Ancient Blessing also increases hit points for 9 rounds. The third ability, Lift off verses Flame Thrower, Lift off 540 damage and a round of immune to damage! Flame thrower is 231 Elemental Damage with 77 damage for two rounds to the whole team. Only weak to humanoids and low damage to undead, in the world of wild pet battling he's an excellent ally.

But what helps make the Spirit of Competition stand out for a 'go to' leveling pet? His survivability! He is one tough to kill little guy. He makes an excellent pet for capturing new wild pets and power leveling your little friends. He 'can' out darn near whole groups of 23s that are green and below mixes! Aquatic pets are everywhere and they heal and heal and heal... sometimes even before the fight starts. So, take your low level pet against one swap him after a turn, unless he's an elemental he will take low damage typically. Lift off Sometimes can kill an enemy Aquatic of high level out right, though it does seem to miss quite a bit. Then, your Spirit of Competition can make fast work of the rest of the team your against.

I once gained 5 levels on a level 1 pet using this technique, and I have had much success leveling others. One warning the pet I captured the same day as this guide to Spirit of Competition, Scourged Whelpling packed an impressive wallop with the ability Call of Darkness (Humanoid Damage) that also reduced the healing I received. :shock: Never the less, don't count the Spirit of Competition out!
Last edited by Delillah on February 9th, 2013, 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chaosnova

Post by Chaosnova » February 9th, 2013, 11:40 am

A well rounded Team one or two of each class of pet is the way to go. it may take some time but its well worth it having the options available for any pet battle :D

Ctaylor01
Pet Score:1289
Realm:Eonar-us

Post by Ctaylor01 » February 9th, 2013, 11:42 am

Cinder Kitten and [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet] are a great combo. Use one of the Cinder Kitten's two burning abilities (Scortched Earth or Immolate) and then switch to Ragnaros' Conflagrate. It will kill any enemy pet easily.

Estraneo
Pet Score:1677
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Estraneo » February 9th, 2013, 11:43 am

Pandaren Monk

Pandaren Monk is an interesting pet and it works well with darkness combos. When you have a pet that could do Call Darkness, use it and swap Pandaren Monk; the first round use Focus Chi, then second round use Fury of 1,000 Fists, it will make a guarantee stun plus chopping almost half of the opponent's health. At this point, use Focus Chi again; because of the stun or swapping, you have a free round for getting your next attack to do double damage again. Investment effects which could also do stun or roots can make the combo even better.

Figgy
Pet Score:4765
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Figgy » February 9th, 2013, 11:51 am

Flayer Youngling

This lil' beauty helps me to win all my battles. Triple Snap Reflection and Rampage are the choices for me. Triple Snap has a chance to hit the target 1-3 times. (because he is humanoid as well, he heals with every hit.) Rampage has the Flayer Youngling attack for three rounds (healing after each hit) with a three round cooldown. Lastly, Reflection is the ace in the hole. It will reflect any ability so that it misses you and you perform the attack instead. The trick to this pet is you must be aware of the sequence of abilities your opponent cast or at least what abilities he casts and use Reflection wisely.

Jolienne
Pet Score:5004
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Jolienne » February 9th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Fast Alpin Hare (or any other rabbit)

Using the Dodge and Burrow ability, this pet is amazing against the Pandaren Earth Spirit Tamer. It can dodge a lot of its abilities and it's immune to Crystal Prison. With some luck, it can kill all three pets. On Darkak, its even possible to never get hits.

Lugia
Top Rater
Pet Score:3747
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Lugia » February 9th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Disgusting Oozeling
One of my favorites and always my third pet when farming pets/ leveling.

I go with theses spells for the majority of the time:
Absorb- good for catching pets and having enough health at the end to kill the secondary/ third pets
Corrosion - good when trying to kill a mob quickly stack, this with Expunge
Expunge- strong hit (likly to fail but when it doesent its worth it)
Self heal and decent dps what else would you want?

My Disgusting Oozeling is called Slimer and I would leave home without him :D It took me ages to get this pet, but as soon as pet battles came about he was first on my list to level. There is not enough love for this pet.

Lugia
Last edited by Lugia on February 10th, 2013, 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delafant
Top Rater
Pet Score:3809
BattleTag®:DELAFANT#1706
Realm:Nathrezim-us

Post by Delafant » February 9th, 2013, 12:53 pm

My "go to" pet combo is always Oily Slimeling and Scourged Whelpling and then one of my choice (usually one I am leveling). The Oily Slimeling has 2 great abilities that really help if he is taking a lot of damage. I always open with corrosion and then use absorb . For my scourged whelpling I have him use tail sweep, call darkness, and plagued blood. Call darkness is especially helpful when you are fighting Grandmaster Aki and her dragon does the extra lightening damage. The plagued blood ability is also useful if you know that your whelp is going to die, cast that as your last ability after resurrecting and any damage the next pet you choose will heal it :). I find using the oily slimeling and scourged whelping combined with any of my other pets (especially for leveling) has assured me victory! I hope this has helped :D!

Phidra
Pet Score:5695
Realm:Draenor-us

Post by Phidra » February 9th, 2013, 1:00 pm

My team to defeat Jeremy Feasel in the Darkmoon Faire

Fel Flame (Elemental) vs Honkey-Tonk
Wild Crimson Hatchling (Dragonkin) vs Judgement
Mini Thor (Mechanical) vs Fezwick

Fel Flame is very strong against Honkey-Tonk. I've often two shot him.
Wild Crimson Hatchling can take some hard hits from Judgement, but there is a heal available to you.
Mini Thor can easily take out Fezwick, so long as you don't mind a little bit of frustration with his stuns.

Enjoy!

Arishia
Pet Score:10067
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Arishia » February 9th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Anubisath Idol - This pet is beyond useful against NPC trainers. I've found that you can use his reflect to turn back the most hard-hitting attacks. If you're fighting a pet with an ability that puts an area attack with a countdown on your pet, when it's at 2 turns left, swap in Anubisath. You'll lose a turn to the swap, but on your next turn you can reflect the attack right back. It's especially effective against the Pandaren Water Spirit trainer as two of his pets like to use Whirlpool, and one uses Geyser. You can use Reflect to avoid all the damage in one turn, so if you have multiple attacks about to hit you, reflect will negate them all and reflect back the last one in the stack =)

Sea
Pet Score:396
Realm:Pozzo dell'Eternità-eu

Post by Sea » February 9th, 2013, 1:56 pm

Dark Whelpling: I got this pet to "Dustwallow Marsh" from "Searing Whelp" these monsters have a chanse drop of 0.18%.
This pet is strong for some of his special abilities such as:
- "Call Darkness" that halves healing received by 50%;
- "Lift-Off" a shot very effective against aquatic creatures, as well as allow you to recharge your skill, it can be used in combo with "Mini Tirael" with the ability "Surge of Light" that allows you to stun a pet with a probability equal to 100%.
Last edited by Sea on February 9th, 2013, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eridalafar
Pet Score:4100
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Eridalafar » February 9th, 2013, 1:57 pm

[pet]Lil' Tarecgosa[/pet]

I put it on the secind place of my order of battle when I am figthing a pet tamer that can have a flying pet in thier first or second possition. So if the flying pet get in the first place, I can change for Lil' Tarecgosa, and only taken low dommage from the change of pet. This trick can be used for any other pets that have dommage reduction vs one of the 2 first pets of a figth.

Eridalafar

Kalliope
Pet Score:4013
Realm:Dethecus-us

Post by Kalliope » February 9th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Why, Tranquil Mechanical Yeti, whyyyyyy?

Why indeed! Once upgraded to rare quality, this guy packs a huge punch with Supercharge/Metal Fist combos. He doesn't have defensive capabilities, but luckily, he can often two-shot his opponents, which makes the best defense a good offense.