1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jasonx666
Pet Score:2063
Realm:Azralon-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Jasonx666 » February 7th, 2013, 10:32 pm

much as Raven and Ghostly Skull have abilities that have much damage but with little chance of success but the night time has chance to hit normal, as the raven have the night ability, is a good combination, and the night ability it is strong against dragons that is the mascot of several favorite tamers, and the skull has a powerful ability but that has as its stun penalty, its a powerfull combination.
Last edited by Jasonx666 on February 7th, 2013, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenie
Pet Score:4872
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Jenie » February 7th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Sprite Darter Hatchling - Using Evanescence on a pet slower than you will give you two rounds of immunity to damage. This ability is perfect against the Pandaren Earth Spirit Tamer because you will not get stun and you'll avoid the second attack.

Potter78
Pet Score:5040
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Potter78 » February 7th, 2013, 10:40 pm

gilnean raven

This pet is only obtainable by having a worgen of at least lvl 10 to purchase from Will Larsen is Lor'danel in Darkshore.
He can only be purchased once per worgen.

Best utilised with call darkness/nocturnal strike

keep in mind however that nocturnal strike can often miss even with darkness up if you are vs an elemental type pet as they are not affected by weather.
Last edited by Potter78 on February 7th, 2013, 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Oskor
Pet Score:7458
BattleTag®:NostraThomas#1360
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Oskor » February 7th, 2013, 10:41 pm

Crawling Claw - An epic reward from Tol'vir archaeology, it shows up in your archaeology tab as "Mummified Monkey Paw." With a level 90 character with maxed (600) Archaeology, the best way to work toward this reward is to complete Mogu and Pandaren digsites in Pandaria and then trade Restored Artifacts to Brann Bronzebeard for Crate of Tol'vir Archaeology Fragments. These crates will contain five to thirteen Tol'vir fragments and occasionally even a Tol'vir Hieroglyphic!

(Note: You may also work toward the reward through standard Tol'vir archaeology; however, it will take much longer to finish each artifact as you will be forced to complete non-Tol'vir sites along the way. If you prefer this method, you will only need 450 Archaeology, so you may choose to start earlier!)

In pet battles, the Claw excels at disrupting your opponent's strategy by introducing the randomness of Death Grip! Are they setting up for a mega attack or a much-needed heal? Simply yank one of their pets out from the back row instead! You can almost hear their cursing and complaining from here! To swing things even further in your favor, make sure to load them up with your Agony and Curse of Doom DoTs before you make the switch. (Remember that they'll still continue to take damage, even when they're not active!)

If you prefer not to use Death Grip, Ancient Blessing is a powerful alternative. Put up your DoTs and then time your self-heal carefully (or use it on cooldown) to keep your Claw alive while you watch your enemy die slowly and painfully. The added maximum health for your whole team is just a bonus.

Note: While Dark Simulacrum sounds like it could be a fun toy, I'd avoid it. In it's current form, it is notoriously buggy.

Gabreaal
Top Rater
Pet Score:2660

Post by Gabreaal » February 7th, 2013, 10:43 pm

I've been able to make use of just five pets in three different teams to take down all pet tamers with relative ease, most with a spot open for leveling another pet! Harbinger of Flame, [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet], a super fast Alpine Hare, Onyxian Whelpling, and an Emperor Crab. Harbinger and Lil' Ragnaros both can combo their respective Burning ability with Conflagrate for super high damage, the Hare and Emperor Crab both have amazing defensives (Dodge and Shell Shield) while Onyxian Whelpling is on hand to take care of the few flying pets some of the tamers like to use. As always, use the pets you like, but if you're struggling like I was, I would recommend leveling a few of these to make farming for your very own Porcupette easier!

Principa
Top Rater
Pet Score:9797
BattleTag®:Principa#1346
Realm:Winterhoof-us

Post by Principa » February 7th, 2013, 10:53 pm

The Stunted Shardhorn was a pretty easy farm for me, and I hope he's the same for you! He's a great beast with tons of health and is hilariously huge, especially when fed a Magical Pet Biscuit (larger than most hunter's pets I've seen!)

(Yes, I named my shardhorn Cyrano.)

My tip is to use him to in fight against the Flowing Pandaren Spirit-- if I give him Smash, Horn Attack, and Trumpet Strike, he can usually take out Tiptoe (critter) and Marley (aquatic), then take the first big explosion from the Pandaren Water Spirit, allowing you to level up a low level and work on collecting a new pet at the same time.
Last edited by Principa on February 7th, 2013, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Njb377
Top Rater
Pet Score:3145
Realm:Kazzak-eu

Post by Njb377 » February 7th, 2013, 10:57 pm

undercity rat

this pet was a real pain for me to catch as a rare. a Tip for all others looking to catch this as a rare.. just put 1-2 alts in UC (more servers/alts the better) and run around every 20 mins or so and clear all the rat and you will get your rare soon enough. i found it better than clearing all the pets and waiting for new ones to spawn.

Milly
Pet Score:3032
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Milly » February 7th, 2013, 11:00 pm

The Fel Flame is an invaluable asset for taking down Honky Tonk at the Darkmoon Faire. I was able to beat him easily with an Uncommon quality, even before reaching Level 25. Good luck getting your Darkmoon Eye!

Koneko
Pet Score:4343
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Koneko » February 7th, 2013, 11:01 pm

Eternal Strider

This pet (or any of the other striders with a high attack rating) makes for a powerhouse against most elementals.
I use one I named Pencil to power level two level 1 pets at once on Farmer Nishi.

The level one pets have to be critter or magic type.
Start off with the strider, make sure that the flower is the first pet in Nishi's line up.
Cast pump, then cast cleansing rain.
Now swap out your first level 1 pet.
If your other is a magic type, simply swap back to your strider, if not swap to the next pet then swap back to the strider.

Now cast pump again, then pump once more.
Finish the flower off with water jet (typically 1 - 2 hits).
When the terrible turnip comes out, cast pump to do massive damage.

It will then submerge.
While it is submerged cast pump to get it primed, then cast cleansing rain again.
Finish it off with water jet (typically 1 - 2 more hits).

When the grub comes up, hit it with pump.
Then prime pump again.
If you have a magic pet, now is the time to switch it in so it can absorb the damage from burrow, if not just hope it doesn't take out your strider.
Now finish off the grub with your final pump and enjoy your two new level 8 pets!

Phlogiston
Pet Score:4747
BattleTag®:Phlogiston#1786
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Phlogiston » February 7th, 2013, 11:07 pm

Magical Crawdad - Excellent tanking pet. Combine Shell Shield with the Wish ability to surely (though sometimes slowly) wear down almost any opponent. Just beware of fliers. Combine with any pet who can cast Sunlight to get the most out of this combo. Great against elementals if you use Surge, or take down critters swiftly with Snap.

Matsumi
Top Rater
Pet Score:7348
Realm:Shadow Council-us

Post by Matsumi » February 7th, 2013, 11:15 pm

Eternal Strider

One of my go to pets against elementals is my Eternal Strider, though Mirror Strider/Aqua Strider/Dancing Water Skimmer/Fishy/Sea Pony/Tiny Goldfish could all work just as well since they all can have the same moveset.

The reason why is because of Pump mixed with Cleansing Rain. Say you're fighting against the Pandaren Fire Spirit. You select Pump first to charge up your attack after he uses Immolate on you. He'll hit you rather hard with his next spell so you select Cleansing Rain next so that you deal 25% more damage and heal a tiny bit. He will then heal up but you have done no damage to him so it means nothing and then you select Pump again taking out nearly all of his health in one go. Now you have the option to take a risk and select Pump again as he immolates you (which depending on your health could kill you). But if successful you will use Water Jet to take him out. Having Pump already saved up, you are able to immediately use it on the next pet, therefore taking out a chunk of hp before going down.

Lumuchan
Pet Score:9786
Realm:Shadow Council-us

Post by Lumuchan » February 7th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Fluxfire Feline Even a common variety of this pet can take down most others in a pet battle with the use of windup followed by super charge then windup again. It helps if you leave a saucer of oil for them before the battle otherwise they just might ignore you like a regular cat does.

D_prelude
Pet Score:2651
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by D_prelude » February 7th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Curious Wolvar Pup

With Snap Trap, Maul, Punch, this fighting pup has all his bases covered, he's very anti-critter(Up there with Kun-Lai Runt and Flayer Youngling) as well having his own defenses and even a little AoE with Whirlwind, making him combat ready for all situations.

Highly Recommend this pet, you won't find another humanoid-beast wannabe that can maul like him.

Awker
Pet Score:3070
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Awker » February 7th, 2013, 11:27 pm

Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling

If you are Alliance, you can level your level 1 pet to level 4 very quickly just below the mage tower in Stormwind. There are 4 wild pets (squirrels or rabbits) that respawn fairly quickly. I should only take 4 minutes or so to get those first levels to fill your abilities bar.

Noviticus
Pet Score:1750
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Noviticus » February 7th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Noviticus's tip on levelling pets

Do it the hard way for two pets, all the way to level 25. Then place a level in your first slot... then head out to Panda Land, find yourself a level 23-25 Bandicoon. A 1st level pet normally can withstand one hit, switch over to your level 25 and defeat said level 23-25 Bandicoon and gang... your 1st level pet will jump 5-6 levels immediately, stay around Half Hill Village for the stable master heal. Head back out, and find more level 23-25 Bandicoon gang, each fight will level your pet at least 1 level until you hit about level 15-ish. After which, it procressivelly requires more fights to level.

Sincerely,
Noviticus
Elune server

P.S. I has a spare Goblin Shore Crab if any one is interested in buying it off of me. :)

Korphi
Top Rater
Pet Score:7980
BattleTag®:Hypnotic#1255
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Korphi » February 7th, 2013, 11:38 pm

[pet]Lil' XT[/pet]

Perhaps the best pet for leveling if you prefer a more grindy approach to it.
Head out to Kun-Lai, where most enemies are beasts. You can have any pet around level 4 to take a hit from the enemies, then swap out to XT.

Use heartbroken, with his tympanic tantrum. Sit back and enjoy.

Bertor
Pet Score:12862
BattleTag®:Davenor#1183
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Bertor » February 7th, 2013, 11:40 pm

My friend Snarly

My little crocodile named Snarly was the first companion I leveled to 25. I spent a lot of time doing the fishing dailies in Outlands back in the days and Snarly was the first of the four baby crocs I got.

He has lots of awesome abilities. My favorite moveset against trainers is to first apply Rip and then Blood in the water. I found it particularly useful against any of the Pandaren spirits as they are elementals and weak against water. If they don't die from this deadly combo, make sure to use Surge to finish them off quickly.

Snarly has been my fateful companion in Mist of Pandaria, but might soon be replaced by the new Electrified Razortooth in 5.2 because they look awesome! :D

Lighto73
Pet Score:7344

Post by Lighto73 » February 7th, 2013, 11:48 pm

Kun-Lai Runt If you aren't fighting critters, use his Deep Freeze and Takedown ablities, if Deep Freeze stuns then Takedown does double damage.

Also, he is a humanoid and has beast attacks making him great to use against critter types!

Oceanaia
Top Rater
Pet Score:5376
BattleTag®:Oceanaia#1971
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Oceanaia » February 8th, 2013, 12:13 am

Still stuck on the Pandaren Sprit Tamers?

Rapana Whelk and Silkbead Snail are AMAZING for these elementals. Their Dive does a great deal of damage. Not a fan of leveling? these 2 snails are both found in Pandaria and are a minimum level 23.