1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Kiaryn
MVP
Pet Score:5084
Realm:Cairne-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Kiaryn » February 8th, 2013, 2:35 am

Emerald Proto-whelp

I use this pet more then any other pet I have. This little guy is great against magic pets. So I use him against the darkmoon faire tamer, the tamer in shadowmoon valley, as well as the Spirit of Air. His ancient blessing is a huge help. I also love using proto-strike as it hits very hard as well as allowing you to avoid a round of damage.

Laytis
Top Rater
Pet Score:10760
BattleTag®:Laytis#2225
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Laytis » February 8th, 2013, 2:43 am

WEELLLL, I guess i gota pick Crow, Hes bird, passive speed, Second line of a abilities such as
Alpha Strike, Shouldn't need to comment why this is good using a pet thats a bird and/or faster than the opponent.
Call Darkness Good weather effect, Either used for removing the current weather effect for a less hurtful one upon you or in combination with...
Nocturnal Strike If used well with Call darkness you are almost guranteed 600 hits each time you move it at 25
Overall this is a extremely useful pet against those pesky aquatics that love to self heal, as Alpha strike manages 500 per usual hit and Noctural combination up to 1000.
/bow - ;)

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » February 8th, 2013, 2:53 am

Sumprush Rodent - I highly suggest finding a friend (or two) to farm commendations with. Commendations are shared loot so each player benefits off every drop. Not only does it make it easier with double the damage and/or heals, but it gives you someone to share the misery with :) as well as doubles your chances of getting a rare rodent or two after all the hard work, because you get two (or more) boxes to drop, which of course increases your shot at rares.

A great choice (at least for Alliance) to farm would be the reliquary guys in the cave. Two players can easily get 200-250 commendations in only 15 minutes.

Nomadking
Top Rater
Pet Score:13512
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Nomadking » February 8th, 2013, 2:56 am

Although it's not stated in the tooltip, the Reflection ability that the Flayer Youngling and Anubisath Idol have will not only cause your opponents next attack to miss, but also any group effects that detonate that round as well, with the last spell that misses being the one reflected.

This can be great fun against pets like the Pandaren Water Spirit where you can avoid damage from Whirlpool, Geyser and another attack, all in a single round! :)

Macabrelove
Pet Score:4705
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Macabrelove » February 8th, 2013, 2:58 am

Sprite Darter Hatchling
I've always wanted this pet since vanilla. lol I finally got it towards the end of Cataclysm. This pet was definitely worth the wait.
Don't waste your time killing the sprite darters in Feralas. Just head to New Thalanaar and kill all the Grimtotems. It took me about 2k kills. Find a video to watch and mow them down. :D
My all time favorite ability rotation is:
Step One! Evanescence
Step Two! Moonfire
Step Three! Arcane Blast

As long as you keep steps One and Two on CD, it's oh so awesome. You may have to hit Arcane Blast a couple more times, but the damage stacks. The more you hit one pet with it the stronger it gets. Moonfire is very close to being a one shot against flying types.

Xerol33t
Pet Score:645
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Xerol33t » February 8th, 2013, 3:02 am

Clockwork Gnome is my choice for pet and I recommend him as good starter pet. Pretty easy to obtain for me and it got some cool abilities like Build Turret and Repair.

Most times I try first to put turret first, then repair, put second turret and change your pet to other because turret lasts until they break :)

Blahtik
Top Rater
Pet Score:2959
Realm:Kilrogg-eu

Post by Blahtik » February 8th, 2013, 3:04 am

Anodized Robo Cub and Fluxfire Feline make an excellent team. The team works great for leveling by pet battle trainers, even the Spirit Trainers and all Pandarian Trainers.

Talents should be:
Anodized Robo Cub: Demolish, Repair, Supercharge
Fluxfire Feline: Claw, Wind-Up, Supercharge

Ideally, you start with the low level pet, you do one round and swap in one of the mechanical pets - best to put Fluxfire Feline against the pet with the biggest health or the one that is the most dangerous as Anodized Robo Cub seems to take beatings better and also can heal. The tactic is simple, once you determine who will fight who for the Fluxfire Feline its Supercharge followed by two Wind-Ups and for Anodized Robo Cub its Supercharge followed by Demolish (with some luck, you won't miss too often).

Fighting the trainers in Pandaria can bring pets up multiple levels at a time and even on 22-25, a single level per battle. After you level 20 pets it starts to get boring, but at least doing it like this saves time and yields great rewards!
Last edited by Blahtik on February 8th, 2013, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legolasgirl
Pet Score:3444
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Legolasgirl » February 8th, 2013, 3:07 am

For new collectors with a bit of spare gold, invest in an Emerald Whelpling. This particular pet's skill set allows it to be leveled to 25 without ever having to use another pet. For starters, it's type is dragonkin. Dragonkin take more damage from humanoid pets, and you are unlikely to encounter many of these in the wild, and certainly not forced to fight them at any given time. Secondly, it's abilities Moonfire coupled with Tranquility allow you to keep a decent heal up while using either one of its first 2 abilities for decent damage. Lastly, a dragonkin's racial ability when timed correctly can cause devastating damage to the next pet to enter a battle. For example, if you have moonfire up and have beaten the first opponent at the same time that it comes off CD, you will have the extra 10% damage from the previous use, plus the 50% from your racial for a blast of power equaling to almost double the damage. If your newest opponent happens to be of the Flying variety you may even be able to 1-shot a lvl 25 opponent!

Goo6982
Pet Score:1403
Realm:Stonemaul-us

Post by Goo6982 » February 8th, 2013, 3:15 am

Sprite Darter Hatchling ability Moonfire was the easiest way I found to over come the last master pet battler Aki the Chosen's pet Stormlash's ability call lightning. Making the lightning disappear meant a quick win for me.

Krotonbug
Pet Score:13872
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Krotonbug » February 8th, 2013, 3:22 am

Clockwork Gnome

Name your pet Jeeves or Gnimo, pop a Magic Pet Biscuit on him, and see if you can fool anyone.

Lostno
Pet Score:4073
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Lostno » February 8th, 2013, 3:26 am

so, my favorite pets, because you get the best of both worlds....highest Def and high attack vs certain classes:

vs Aqua use Jade Owl (he is magic, and casts flying spells)
vs critter use Curious Wolvar Pup (he is Human, and casts Beast spells)
vs Dragon use Scourged Whelpling (he is Undead, and casts Human spells)
vs Elemental use Rapana Whelk (he is a critter, and casts Aqua spells)
vs Flying use [pet]Lil' Tarecgosa[/pet] (she is a Dragon, and casts Magic spells)
vs Human use Mr. Grubbs (he is a Beast, and casts Undead spells)
vs Magic use Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling (he is a Mechanical, and casts Dragon spells)
vs Mechanical use [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet] (he is a Elemental, and casts Elemental spells..... and completely OP)
vs Undead use Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog (he is a Aqua, and casts Critter spells)

not always the strongest pets, but they will give you the most bang for your buck (live longer, strike harder).....make most masters trivial.

Rayquaza_70
Pet Score:2304

Post by Rayquaza_70 » February 8th, 2013, 3:34 am

Magical Crawdad. One of the best tanks/staller/support in the game. Use Snap or Surge to whittle down opponents health and use Renewing Mists and Wish to recover yours or an allies health.

Tyloncorp
Pet Score:4397

Post by Tyloncorp » February 8th, 2013, 3:36 am

Pair a Pterrordax Hatchling with any magic using pet (I love the power breed Nether Ray Fry for this) and you have a perfect dream team for farming the Aquatic pets around the Vale of Eternal Blossoms - His heal and flying attacks mean he can go on and on without needing a bandaid. This is useful for both power leveling other pets to 25, as well as farming for BoE and Aquatic Battlestones.

Speaking of aquatic battlestones - Use one on a Sea Pony! The resulting pet, when leveled to 25, can basically solo Farmer Nishi - make sure she sends Siren(The Sunflower) out first! Use Tidal wave to kill her back line, cleansing rain to heal what little damage your team receives, and then use Pump to off the Siren in one hit!
Last edited by Tyloncorp on February 8th, 2013, 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » February 8th, 2013, 3:36 am

De-Weaponized Mechanical Companion

While this name monster doesn't have the coolest looks in the game, don't let the outside fool you. He is a a real beast when it comes to fighting critters or beasts making him an excelent pet leveling other pets.

You can obtain this mechanical pet three ways (in theory):
  • Build it yourself via Engineering (475 skill required)
  • Buy it from the auction house or from other player
  • Loot it from the Blingtron's daily quest reward (VERY low change though)
Sadly, he comes only in Uncommon quality which means before you can unleash his best potential, you need to upgrade him with Flawless Battle-Stone or Flawless Mechanical Battle-Stone. After the upgrade, his breed (#5 speed) gives him the whooping speed of 325 at level 25 (1481 HP and 244 power) effectively outnumbering most non-flying wild pets speed-wise.

However, it's not the speed alone what makes him so great. Other awesome factor is the mechanical racial which allows him to ress upon death. But he does also have great abilities to make the deal even more sweeter:

Tier 1:
  • Metal Fist is the main bread and butter when fighting beasts.
  • Thrash combined with pet's high speed really makes socks (at least if they used them) spin in critters' paws. Going first guarantees this ability to hit twice and gives a chance for the third hit. You actually might always choose this over Metal First due to the third hit - assuming you are not facing beasts. If all three hits land, critters are taking roughly 600 damage per round killing them in a jiffy.
Tier 2:
  • Overtune is good if you are facing pets with speed buffs or debuffs giving you the upper hand for Thrashing. But usually, Extra Plating takes always the upper hand of tier 2 abilities.
  • Extra Plating halves the damage taken for 3 rounds with 4 rounds cooldown making it really one of the best defensive abilities around. Combined with Repair, you are almost guaranteed to survive the repair time.
Tier 3:
  • Demolish hit real hard on beasts but on the downside it also has a huge chance to miss (50%). Might be worth a shot though if you are not facing pets which hurt you a lot.
  • Repair heals your pet for a good 60% of it's health but it requires you pet to "charge" it for three rounds. During these rounds you can't perform any action so using this ability requires good timing. You have to anticipate the coming damage and use this a bit before your pet dies. Luckily, if you are using this after Extra Plating, you have much better changes of surviving even with low health.
My suggested setup for overall use would be:
Thrash - Extra Plating - Repair (for beasts and flyers, use Metal Fist)

Try maximizing your Extra Plating uptime while Thrashing in between. Repair when needed and preferably always after using Extra Plating to cover the charge up time.

Hope this helps you discover this great pet too!
- Taking your candles since 2005

Cartez
Pet Score:2988
Realm:Sinstralis-eu

Post by Cartez » February 8th, 2013, 4:03 am

Brilliant Kaliri

While you are afking in the vale of eternal blossom waiting to raid or so ...
Create a team with this flying pet and go PL your low lvl pets on the aquatic pets of the area (you have some near the temples)
Most of the time the eternal strider you will find are starting the fight with a non-lethal attack so you can even take with you a lvl 1 pet that will be lvl 6 at the end of the fight ^^

Faela
MVP
Pet Score:2774
Realm:Moonglade-eu

Post by Faela » February 8th, 2013, 4:09 am

Fel Flame is a solid choice to use against the Darkmoon Faire pet tamer. His Scorched Earth and Flame Breath are strong against the magic-type Judgement, and Conflagrate will do significant damage to the mechanical-type Honky Tonk since the weather will still be Scorched Earth.

Other pets with the same ability set are Searing Scorchling and Spirit of Summer.

Lunarific
Top Rater
Pet Score:4359
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Lunarific » February 8th, 2013, 4:12 am

Darkmoon Tonk

This pet is great for farming beasts for stones! Lock-On will demolish one beast in two turns, and Minefield will often one-shot the next beast to swap in. I enjoy farming in Cradle of the Ancients in Uldum as most of the pets there are beasts, and they come in groups too!

(Note: There are other mechanical pets with the Minefield ability, however they have Launch Rocket instead of Lock-On- both are of similar efficacy, but Launch Rocket's animation takes forever!)
Last edited by Lunarific on February 8th, 2013, 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Galth
Top Rater
Pet Score:4448
Realm:Pozzo dell'Eternità-eu

Post by Galth » February 8th, 2013, 4:12 am

Magical Crawdad - Soul of the Aspects - [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet]

This combo I invented, returns the greatest attack combined with maximum defense, to have a very balanced team.
1) We must begin with "Soul of the Aspects" and use his ability "Sunlight" the motivation of this Pet is not only this ability, but also his great speed that will be useful for this combo.
2) Then we will need to field "Magical Crawdad" Because of its quantity of life That he will become immortal if unit to its ability "Wish & Renewing Mists" that means about 2800 That of life, and before anyone can kill his skills will be reusable.
3) Finally, if it would against a team like yours, you can use "[pet]Lil 'Ragnaros[/pet]" because of its attack power, and his two skill "Flamethrower & Conflagrate" that will bring victory in difficult times with more defense against the companion .

This is one of many combos that I have studied with great attention to detail and balanced, I posted an image very simple to understand better what I said.
Last edited by Galth on February 8th, 2013, 5:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

Lisanette
Top Rater
Pet Score:6418
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Lisanette » February 8th, 2013, 4:14 am

Wolpertinger

Pretend it is a little rogue trying to stunlock using Headbutt, Horn Attack and Sleeping Gas. Awesome!
I <3 my Wolfie
[url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anwxfm9jABocdDItb1N6QlhvbnMzQVVHQWgtOVBnWFE]Google-doc with all breeds and ability sets[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151106511417504.417452.700887503&type=3]Facebook photoalbum with pet-related stuff[/url]