1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Rinael
MVP
Pet Score:5023
Realm:Zul'jin-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Rinael » February 13th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Hunting the beautiful Imperial Eagle Chick in Grizzly Hills is tricky, as many of them are high in trees.

While airborn, engage the chick with a move that does no damage, such as a mage's Spellsteal or a taunt. Mages can cast Slow Fall, priests can Levitate, and druids can pop flight form before hitting the ground. You have to leave combat before you can begin a pet battle. Mages can hit Invisibility to leave combat quickly, or you can run away.

It's tricky to then initiate a pet battle before the chick can reset. I highly recommend binding a key to Interact With Target. To do this, from the Game Menu select "Key Bindings". Scroll down to the "Targeting Functions" list until you find "Interact With Target" and click on the red bar labeled "Not Bound". You'll be prompted to select a key for that function; I use the "~" key.

So when you land after engaging the chick, start hitting your key for interacting with it, running away if necessary to drop aggro.

Quarla
Pet Score:8915
BattleTag®:Quarla#1841
Realm:Magtheridon-us

Post by Quarla » February 13th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Razzashi Hatchling makes for an awesome pet to power level lower pets once you get the little guy up to level 25. While he’s not the only pet with the Devour ability the combination of his strength and Leap make him able to chew threw the primarily critter heavy pets in the Heartland very quickly. It’s super easy to get pets up to level 10-15 and then level them the rest of the way via trainers.

Idle
Pet Score:2829
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Idle » February 13th, 2013, 4:09 pm

This is by far my favorite tip to tell friends who are collecting pets in Pandaria:

The Kun-Lai Runt is awesome for fighting against critters. As a humanoid he takes less damage from critters and he has 3 beast attacks that totally tear critters up. Take the time to find a rare one, you won't regret it!

ButterflyDragon
MVP
Pet Score:8636
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us

Post by ButterflyDragon » February 13th, 2013, 4:21 pm

My entry is a bit different. I've researched the best Pet/Ability combination to use for each Pet Family. The list is not all-inclusive. I crafted it with my Collection in consideration (which is quite extensive, but does not include every pet available). Keep in mind that you want to make sure you have the appropriate abilities setup prior to engaging your opponent. Also keep in mind that just because an opponent may be a particular Pet Family, they may not necessarily have or use the same family of Abilities.

Opponent Type Guide

Aquatic
The best type of pet to use against an Aquatic pet with primarily Aquatic abilities are Magic pets (due to reduced damage from Aquatic attacks) with Flying abilities (that provide bonus damage against Aquatic pets). The following pet within my collection was an ideal match for this type of opponent.
Jade Owl
Due to many Aquatic pets having the Dive, I will make sure Lift-Off is in my game plan prior to engaging the opponent. Typically you will find in many higher level battles that you will always go last. For those instances be sure to save the cooldown on Lift-Off for when the opponent uses Dive first.
Beast
The best type of pet to use against a Beast pet with primarily Beast abilities are Flying pets with Mechanical abilities. Unfortunately no type of pet with that combination exists (as far as I could find in my research). When confronted with this match-up I of course use a Mechanical pet. My favorite pet to use:
Mechanical Squirrel
If it's a strong opponent I have a specific strategy I will use. I use Wind-Up immediately. Use it again to get the massive attack. I will then use it immediately again for the 10% damage buff. If it looks like one more massive attack won't kill your opponent, then chip away at their health with other attacks. If your Mechanical Squirrel is then killed, immediately use the massive attack by using Wind-Up again upon being resurrected.
Critter
The best type of pet to use against a Critter pet with primarily Critter abiliities is a Humanoid pet with Beast abilities. The following Humanoid pets are ideal matches for this type of opponent.
Curious Wolvar Pup

Flayer Youngling

Kun-Lai Runt

Stunted Yeti

I prefer to use the Flayer Youngling due to it's Reflection ability. While true it's not a Beast ability, it allows you to be missed by a devastating attack and have it reflected back to your opponent.
Dragonkin

The ideal type of pet to use against Dragonkin pets using primarily Dragonkin abilities is an Undead pet with Humanoid abilities. The pet that comes closest to fulfilling that combination:
Scourged Whelpling
Unfortunately it's Humanoid ability is a team attack (which will be wonderful if going against a team of Dragonkin pets) but not conducive if going up against one Dragonkin. (In those instances it would be best to go with your Humanoid pets)
Elemental
The ideal pet to use against Elemental pets are Critters with Aquatic abilities. That combination is quite limited. The following pets (primarily snail type) have the Dive ability as it's sole Aquatic ability. But due to the reduced damage taken from Elemental abilities, they can be quite devastating when used against Elemental pets.
Rapana Whelk
Rusty Snail
Scooter the Snail
Shimmershell Snail
Silkbead Snail

The Dive ability used in conjunction with Absorb makes Snails a formidable opponent against Elemental pets.
Flying
The ideal pet combination to use against Flying pets with primarily Flying abilities are Dragonkin pets with Magic abilities.
The following pets meet that criteria.
Humanoid
The best combination to use against a Humanoid with primarily Humanoid abilities are Beast pets with Undead abilities. There are basically 2 types of Beasts with only 1 ability that fits that ideal matchup. They are:
Spiders with the Leech Life ability.
Insects with the Consume ability. (All except for the Silithid Hatchling)
Magic
Against a Magic pet with Magic abilities you want to use a Mechanical pet with Dragonkin abilities. The pet to fit that combination (albeit slightly) is:
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling
The Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling only has one Dragonkin ability, Breath, but it's quite effective. When combined with the Decoy ability, you should have no problem against Magic pets.
Mechanical
The best combination to use is an Elemental pet with Elemental abilities. The vast majority of Elemental pets fit this description but my favorites to use are the following:
Fel Flame
Terrible Turnip

By the way, Terrible Turnip is a wonderful pet to use to capture low level pets you may accidentally kill with your abilities while trying to weaken them. Terrible Turnip's Weakening Blow ability will never kill your opponent. The attack cannot reduce your opponent's health below 1, which makes it perfect for capturing that low level pet you want!
Undead
When battling Undead pets with primarily Undead abilities the ideal combination to use is an Aqautic pet with Critter abilities. The following pets are ideal:
I hope my guide can help you achieve greater success in your pet battling adventures. Keep in mind this is not an all-inclusive listing of the best pets. Variations, such as opponent ability and strength, can force you to alter your strategies. Above all, have fun!

Roarey
MVP
Pet Score:12979
BattleTag®:Roarey#1820
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by Roarey » February 13th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Happy Team, guaranteed to make you smile on even the worst day!

Moonkin Hatchling start with a little pet interaction.../dance

If this doesn't start the grin..then use my surefire smile combo: Find a moderately difficult battle to enter and use:

Singing Sunflower cast a little Solar Beam followed by Inspiring Song

Next switch to:
Moonkin Hatchling cast Punch followed by Entangling Roots

Finally if you have a really stubborn frown...
launch the all out grump erradicator Egbert and cast Feign Death

Use this tip freely and often...no horrible mood shall be able to resist!! (can't guarantee a pet battle victory, only the smile victory!)

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » February 13th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Another few tips for fellow pet masters.
1. If you see char with Disgusting Oozerling never try to remove disease/poison from him.
2. Insects are the most powerful warriors from aquatic family. From all insects Dancing Water Skimmer in 12/22 breed has the highest health (1546 hp), what make him the best choice (IMHO) to fight against any elemental battle pet.
First tip, if DWS is slower then elite battle pets, Cleansing Rain goes last in round, what helps to control weather effect and heal after incoming dmg.
Second tip, Pump not only does great dmg, but also applies dmg buff for 10%, what in some cases can be better, then release Pump. For example, first enemy pet already decreased to half health. In this case I prefer to charge Pump and finish him by Water Jet, even if it will take 1 more round. But next enemy pet will be pumped in first round. Many battle master’s pets start from buffs/debuffs, after what they use few rounds attacks. So, if we start from Pump 1st round and use another Pump in 3d round we do 2400+ dmg for elemental pet or 1600+ dmg for other families. For example, I use this mechanic to lvl my pets on pet master Farmer Nishi.
3. New pet Anubisath Idol is the best pet tank we still saw. But he has 2 weaknesses.
First weakness – his tank properties - 74 dmg reduction from Sandstorm+74 dmg reduction from Stoneskin don’t protect from Glowing Toxin, what does 6% target max health as dmg every round.
Second weakness – as humanoid Anubisath Idol takes extra dmg from undead abilities with lifesteal effect like Absorb, so his opponents steal more health. And I can imagine how, for example, some rare Spider with Sticky Web and Leech Life can eat this OP pet, which gets so many good tips in this topic.
To close this weaknesses I changed Stoneskin on Reflection and use it to reflect Growing Toxin against flies, and lifesteel from pets with it. For example, if some Silkbead Snail uses Dive and Absorb , I prefer to reflect Absorb.
4. In first sight Call Lighting looks like great spell for many serpents from dragonkin family. This weather effect adds dmg for Cyclone and both hits Tail Sweep. For example, Thundering Serpent Hatching with rotation Cyclone, Call Lighting, Tail Sweep will do 1.000+ dmg to enemy team from 3 round and further. But it is false sight. First, it takes a lot time to proc and 1 round continues near 1 minute. Moreover, buff from Call lighting may more than 2 times increase dmg wild pets. So, in my opinion, this ability has great potential but useless in modern kind.
5. In next patch 5.2 Bliz will plan to make penalty for escaping combat to prevent exploit with waiting for “right” pet order. Switch pets in time they are hitted by legendary pets isn’t good idea. But we still have solution. Fowl pet Turkey like bird has 50% bonus to speed on start. Also Turkey have great spell Food Coma what puts target to sleep for 2 rounds. I believe, that usage rare Turkey 5 breed (325 speed on 25 lvl) just to sleep from start legendary pet and switch on his antipet will be useful for some hard fights.

Nefertum
Pet Score:3043
Realm:Darkspear-eu

Post by Nefertum » February 13th, 2013, 5:24 pm

Amber Moth

In Vale of Eternal Blossoms you can level any pets quickly by battling the water critters around the lake, they always spawn in groups of 3 water pets, so one or two flyers should finish the whole team off, giving you a chance to level a low level pet fast. These battles also have a high chance of dropping Flawless aquatic battle-stones.

Spiritseeker
Pet Score:1616

Post by Spiritseeker » February 13th, 2013, 5:33 pm

The Fluxfire Feline is a great team member for high damage. Casting Wind-up twice does massive damage when trying to kill those pesky critter fast in a battle. For even more damage sandwich Prowl between the Wind-up casts.

Add Cinder Kitten and Feline Familiar for a great Crazy Cat Lady team.

Islaud
Pet Score:864
Realm:Thorium Brotherhood-us

Post by Islaud » February 13th, 2013, 5:54 pm

Terrible Turnip is the best pet to use when collecting lower level battle pets that you missed while leveling your main team. Get him to level 25 and you can pretty much use him for any sub-25 pet, with his Weakening Blow, though it is weak against Beast types. 3 of his abilities deal increased damage to mechanical types, so save him for those battles. In battles before level 10 against critter types, use Weakening Blow to get them close to or near 1, then finish them off with a Leech Seed, and hope that if they're faster that they don't heal!

Djetox
Top Rater
Pet Score:4928
Realm:Kirin Tor-eu

Post by Djetox » February 13th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Hello, i have many little tips to level up my pets.

I level up many pets at the same time every day with this strategy.

Make sure that you are wearing your Safari Hat^^

Lvl 1/6: i go in the Vale of Eternel Blossom with two Gilded moth. Put the pet to level in first and let's battle any pets of this zone. Pets around Aki l'elune are great for example. Why? beacause 9/10 the pet use a Heal or a CC, so your pets won't die. If it happened just rez your pets at your City near there.
Use Alpha Strike Cocoon Strike and Moth Balls to slow ennemy (against flyers for example)

With one fight, your pet will be level 6, i prefer do like that, so you may have more chance that your pet won't die against Battle'pets Master's Quests.

Lvl 6/20: i do Battle'pets Master's Quests, i put the pet to level in first place then i fight against the two last trainers of Azeroth (near Karazhan and at Winterspring), all trainers of Outland, WOTLK and Cataclysm)

Lvl 20/24+: I fight against MOP 'trainers

Lvl 24+/25: I do the same that with lvl 1, you gain 545 exp at lvl 24 so with 1/3 fight the pet is lvl 25 GG

You can also fight in 4 Winds'Valley with two cats. Panther Cub and Winterspring Cub are really great beacause there are many Critters. Use Claw Rake and Devour to kill ennemy so you will regen life and you can chain battles.

I will tell you the best pets i use to fight against Trainers, the pets should be strong beacause you have to win with only two pets^^

Onyxian Whelpling ou Spawn of Onyxia if you don't have the first, take Tail sweep Healing flame et Lift-Off
Anubisath Idol take Crush Reflection and Sandstorm
Fluxfire Feline breed S/S take Claw Wind-up and Supercharge
Flayer Youngling breed S/S take Blitz Reflection and Kick
A rabbit breed H/S or S/S but first breed is suffisant like Darkmoon Rabbit with Scratch Dodge and Burrow
Mr. Bigglesworth is really good too with Claw Prowl and Ice Tomb
Magical Crawdad or a crab breed P/P with Surge a heal and Whirlpool or Wish with the Magical Crawdad (Emperor Crab breed P/P is the better crab for me
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling with Breath or Thunderbolt Decoy and Bombing Run is better than Darkmoon Zeppelin beacause he is faster (breed S/S) so you fight at first place against most of pets.

A little tips to counter Reflection use an ability like Death and Decay of the Scourge Whelpling your ennemy can't Reflection. Breed H/H is the best for me beacause he is the slowest breed and have many PV. take Tail Sweep and Plagued Blood you will receive more than 150/200PV each turn.

Esterhazy
Top Rater
Pet Score:3718
Realm:The Scryers-us

Post by Esterhazy » February 13th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Darkmoon Tonk

I've spent many a day on PTR battling the elite pets. A team of 3 lvl25 Darkmoon Tonks easily decimates the elite beasts with ease. You need to defeat them to achieve Fabled Pandaren Tamer which will award you the red panda first time achieving it then it'll open a daily which gives you a chance to obtain other cute pandas which are found in the daily Fabled Pandaren Pet Supplies

This is how you want to set your Tonks up:
1st tonk: Missile, Minefield, Lock-On
2nd tonk: Missile, Shock and Awe, Ion Cannon
3rd tonk: Missile, Shock and Awe, Lock-On

Plan of attack:
1st:
Lay minefield then spam Lock-on and missile, this tonk rarely makes it far but you want to have those minefields down asap, that's really the only purpose for this tonk.
2nd:
Ion Cannon every time it's up, shock and awe the beast if Ion is off. This tonk will cut through a nice chunk of HP and sets the beast up nicely for the last tonk.
3rd:
Spam Lock-on. Watch their HP if their HP is low enough that a Shock and Awe will take them out (instead of wasting a move locking on) then take them out with that.

Elite battle pets has been the one thing I've been trying to master and the above team works miracles against the following elite:
Ka'wi the Gorger LVL25 (Grub)
Kafi LVL25 (Summit Kid) - The hardest elite to beat IMHO
Greyhoof <Calf of Darkhide> LVL23 (Mushan)

I've tried other mechanical teams with fluxfire felines, the gnomes, the XTs, Anodized Robo Cub, the chickens etc etc and I found the Tonks are the fastest way to cleave through these elite beasts.

Dmarson
Pet Score:4313

Post by Dmarson » February 13th, 2013, 7:21 pm

I put the Blighthawk in my rotation because it has a great finishing move. GhostlyBite It is great when you are in trouble and about to loose.. :D

Nightgriffin
Pet Score:2538
Realm:Grizzly Hills-us

Post by Nightgriffin » February 13th, 2013, 7:53 pm

The Nexus Whelpling is an terrific finisher. Mana Surge while in Arcane Storm allows for powerful hit, but he truly shines when the draconic ability kicks in.

Here's how to optimize him:
  • Bring him in when all opponent's pet have been hit and the current pet HPs are around half his max HP.
  • Cast Arcane Storm - If well timed it should bring the pet HP whitin range of a kill by Mana Surge but without brining the pet under 25% HP
  • Cast Mana Surge - on the best case scenario it will kill the pet making the next attack doing 50% more damage thanks to the dragon type ability
  • Watch him kill his next opponent, triggering the dragon ability again for the last pet.
He's the serial killer of the battle pets!

Labyrinthe
MVP

Post by Labyrinthe » February 13th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Pandaren Water Spirit is a fantastic pet to use against elemental pets, particularly against the daily questgiver Wastewalker Shu and his elemental pet Pounder. The water spirit's aquatic attacks do extra damage to elemental pets but at the same time you avoid any loss of accuracy when he uses his Sandstorm ability, as elementals ignore all weather effects. By the time you down Pounder you'll still have enough HP left over for the weather effect to disappear and get in a Dive and/or Geyser on the follow-up pet Crusher.

Barbatusz35
Pet Score:744
Realm:Dreadmaul-us

Post by Barbatusz35 » February 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm

After many weeks of runs finally (and after swapping a few pets) i was able to complete my raid pets achive! Tho this did include borrowing a caged Viscidus Globule the rewarded Mr. Bigglesworth is now my favorite pet!

Post by Guest » February 13th, 2013, 9:19 pm

One of the best pets to help defeat the Pandaren Spirits is the Rapana Whelk. The aquatic-based dive can really knock a lot of health off the difficult elementals and following up with shell shield helps ensure you'll survive.

Snipery67
Pet Score:1135
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Snipery67 » February 13th, 2013, 9:34 pm

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/dr ... of-onyxia/

The spawn of onyxia is one of my favorite pets for its versatility. Able to take down flying, magic, and aquatic pets with ease and a fantastic heal that makes it able to counter heavy hitters, she takes up two of my three battle spots (also named them after my twin girls). The key to using the spawn effectively is when and how to use her heal. You need to be able to predict your opponents big moves and use them immediately afterwards. The flight ability she has makes her able to escape from big damage hitting attacks if she is faster than her opponent and it adds the versatility of doing extra damage to aquatic types.

Demonicchoas
Pet Score:3381
Realm:Spirestone-us

Post by Demonicchoas » February 13th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Infinite Whelpling is the best with his gas attack repeated till half then his time move. If you get low just use his heal. Sorry if the pet link didn't work its my first time :(

Sytherlin
Pet Score:2213
Realm:Khadgar-us

Post by Sytherlin » February 13th, 2013, 9:43 pm

When fighting the Wind Pandaran Spirit in the Jade Forest, bring out a team of dragonkin, such as Spawn of Onyxia, Celestial Dragon, etc. All of the Battle pets you fight use flying attacks, which do reduced damage to dragonkin. I make sure I use my Onyxian Whelpling on the critter, since it knocks out the cocoon strike, and still does extra damage with the Tail Sweep attack.