1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Amp
MVP
Pet Score:13126
BattleTag®:Amphitrite#1841
Realm:Terokkar-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Amp » February 11th, 2013, 6:57 pm

This is probably my favorite pet to use Call Lightning with. It is almost as strong as the Onxyian Whelpling, so if you chose to, you can use this pet alone. I prefer to use Call Lightning then switch to a good multi hitting pet like any squirrel. The reason is that Call Lightning almost doubles the damage for each hit within a single ability. The extra hit component of Call Lightning is NOT restricted to mechanical abilities. It also takes advantage of DOT skills. Turtle pets or any pet with an ability like Shell Shield are extremely strong against a multi hit/DOT abilities and typically blocks the extra hit from Call Lightning.[spell=][/spell]

Amp

Amoure
Top Rater
Pet Score:3024
Realm:Dragonblight-eu

Post by Amoure » February 11th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Minfernal isn't a hard to get pet! I was just casually filling my petlist going off zone by zone catching the pets that appear there. I never knew Minfernal was hard to catch. I just read the in game description, started to kill the bigger demons and what do you know. One appeared right there. I never knew the pet was hard to get till I started to read upon tips for getting my Scourged Whelpling.

But the biggest tip I can share is this! Be patient and have fun with it!

Lonamire
Pet Score:13618
Realm:Khadgar-us

Post by Lonamire » February 11th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Fluxfire Feline is a huge damage dealer, with bonus mechanical rez! Use Wind-Up, then Supercharge, followed by another Wind-Up for insta-death to any opponent.

Askevar
Top Rater
Pet Score:11340
Realm:Azuremyst-us

Post by Askevar » February 11th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Dancing Water Skimmer is an excellent pet to use against the Pandaren Earth Spirit in the Panda Spirit Trainer battles. The pump ability is a high damage one that is very damaging to a very difficult pet tamer.

Sabuulia
Pet Score:1729
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Sabuulia » February 11th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Terrible Turnip - When using the Turnip to capture higher level pets, open with Sunlight. As Sunlight increases a pets maximum health, you will be able to tame the pet much earlier, as it will reach 35% of this amount much more quickly!

AnneVilters
Pet Score:4815
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by AnneVilters » February 11th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Metalclaw my Fluxfire feline is a killer when facing beasts. Are you tired of the little polarbear owned by Major Payne to get his health back after you tried so hard to get it down or of the mole in the Vale of eternal blossoms to smash your pets to bits? No fear Fluxfire Feline is here. Snakes, spiders, bears and so many more beasts are no match for this little kitten. All it takes is to wind it up, wait and watch it pounce. It'll turn any size beast into it's own little toy, albeit with some scratches. And eventhough it may not look pettable with the metal plating and such, looks can be deceiving. Just give it a pet and it'll purr to it's heartcontent or look in those azure blue eyes and you'll see the love it has for their owner. So be sure to add one to your collection, you will not be disappointed by this fellow. It'll serve you well in battle against pesky beast and it's a joy to have following you around.

Manual on how to destroy beasts supercharge , wind-up , wind-up and watch it work.

Jezzibella

Post by Jezzibella » February 11th, 2013, 9:21 pm

My pet tip for levelling battle pets:
fly out to the shrine of two moons and at coordinates 72:27 there is 4 Eternal Strider spawns and another 3 or 4 at 68:44
these striders are the perfect pets for levelling because they very rarely open up with an attack, most will open with either Cleansing Rain Pump or Soothe allowing you to open with a low level for one round, than switch to a high level before they can attack.
I always use my Pterrordax Hatchling against the striders because he is flying and does high damage against the aquatic pets, it makes for a quick battle, due to the additional pets usually being other aquatic pets, or a flying pet, and his heal is really great, i rarely have to use my Revive Battle Pets ability after a battle.
i hope this is helpful :)

Adalto
Pet Score:8519
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Adalto » February 11th, 2013, 9:43 pm

There is a tip to 1 hit kill for most of fight's with my champion Fluxfire Feline.
first turn = supercharge
second turn = wind-up
final turn = wind-up
You Win!
it work on almost of fight's.

Linora
Pet Score:2809
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Linora » February 11th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Snowy Owl - Use the ability Nocturnal Strike with another pet that can cast Call Darkness. My favorite is the Dark Whelpling because who doesn't love to have a dragon on their team! The Snowy Owl's Nocturnal Strike has an awesome sound effect and always hits when the weather is Darkness. Don't worry if you don't have a pet that can cast Call Darkness, the other choice in that slot, Predatory Strike is equally awesome. If your target's health falls below 25% after you hit it with Predatory Strike, it automatically dies.
Attachments
wowowl.png
Picture with me and my Snowy Owl
wowowl.png (223.92KiB)Viewed 5543 times
Last edited by Linora on February 12th, 2013, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mkeyes
Pet Score:5587
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Mkeyes » February 11th, 2013, 9:52 pm

ImperiaL Eagle Chick
http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/flying/birds-of-prey/imperial-eagle-chick/

Are you trying to farm a rare version of this pet?
Are you frustrated to find them perched high above tree branches?

Then this is for you!

All you need is a mage! If you don't have one go level one! Mages are ideal when farming pets!
All the teleports saves time on travelling to pet spawn loications, and all you can eat conjured food while camping!

So here is the strategy, if you find one of these annoying pets perched high above.
1) On your mount - fly down half way --to minimize fall dmg
2) target pet and cast counterspell, this will put you in combat with the pet
3) when the pet reaches you be sure to have a clear terrain
4) quickly cast invisibility, to get out of combat
5) quickly click on pet while invisible to engage in combat!
6) Battle & Win! Add your rare pet to your collection!

PS, this also works on any pets who are on uneven terrain

Jediknight223
Pet Score:1313
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Jediknight223 » February 11th, 2013, 10:16 pm

Emerald Whelpling

A good combo to use is Moonfire, then either Tranquility or Emerald Dream to keep this Pet going for awhile. It really helped during the Trainer Battles. Hope this helps my fellow Trainers!

- Jarius

Karamel559
Pet Score:2674
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Karamel559 » February 11th, 2013, 11:15 pm

I love using [pet]Lil' XT[/pet] when the first and hopfully second or third pet is a beast. His heartbroken+Tympanic Tantrum can take out almost all three pets with just the 3 turns of Tympanic Tantrum.
Great for leveling low level pets
He is a bit noisy but well worth the noise

Everelda
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Everelda » February 12th, 2013, 12:04 am

Tiny Bog Beast

What makes this pet unique for the pet battle system:
Humanoid/Elemental/Beast move pool.

Dragons in the pvp function of pet battle are annoying. Humanoid hit helps here and in PvE/PvP you get a stun very useful if you decide not to use the humanoid damage. Elemental damage is average and fairly consistant and is strong against those pesky mechanical pets due to its elemental moves and a Elemental race typing. Beast damage adds flexibility to this set for different situations.Also as an elemental it ignores weather effects so use this to an advantage against your enemies.

Major downfall for this pet in a team is lack of spike damage move early on and no heal factor, but the longer than average elemental dot and slightly larger health pool helps here with switch out and endurance teams.

This pet may seem rare but it really is easy once you know how to make it spawn. Tiny Bog Beast is significantly larger than the other critters in the area. Tiny Bog Beast is located by the lakes area west/northwest of Greenwardens grove around and near their larger cousins (not on them that's only flavor text).

- Step One: Kill the critters (battle and regular) in the area including the critters (battle and regular) on the border and a little ways into the Direforge Hill area and the border of the Ironforge Tomb area.

*Helpful tip right clicking will start a battle but left clicking allows you to use a character ability to kill capture creatures.*

- Step Two: fly/run around the area in a good pattern going from the lower end all the way to the top near the mountains edge.

- Step Three: spawn may take 5-20 mins depending on last kill and RNG spawning timers.

Reason you kill the critters, tiny bog beast shares spawn spots with the critters and ALSO slots for if it can spawn since the area has a maximum critter count. Thus you need to make sure it has places to spawn. Though it may not necessarily spawn right where you kill the critters. It will often spawn close to them within 5-15 yards of any critter point. That's why you must run the whole area.

(Killing critters in the second green belt area where the whelps are may help as well)

Other helpful hint. after a server restart/maintenance there will be 5-15 of these running around though once these are used up it goes back to the original 1-3 up at a time thing often only spawning the extras after you kill/defeat/capture one. Most I've seen up at once and not just respawn is 2.

This was my main post on Wowhead.com when the pet was first introduced. This has been the highest rated and most commented upon post for the Battle Pet itself.

Azilda
Pet Score:4805
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Azilda » February 12th, 2013, 12:53 am

Cornish Rex

If you use a flawless battle stone this is the most powerful of the cats.

I use this pet in the Valley of the Four Winds to level all of my other pets (even from level 1!) I tend to attack the critters, and leave the aquatic pets alone

Strategy @ Level 25 -- Make sure the you are using the following attacks
1. Pounce
2. Screech
3. Devour

Have the pet you want to level start the fight, attack once and switch to the Cornish Rex.
You have to make sure you are faster than the pet you are battling if not Screech, Pounce it until it's almost dead, then Devour it gaining most if not all of your health back. Wash, Rinse, Repeat and before you know it, your level 1 pet is also level 25 without using many if any stable keepers, band-aids or revive pet spells!

Shivaraye
Pet Score:2119
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Shivaraye » February 12th, 2013, 1:13 am

feline-familiar is a great pet to use while leveling *any* low level pets around Tavern In The Mists. All of the wild pets are critters and weak against the familiar while it heals with Devour . Start with the lowbie, swing once and even if it misses, assuming if it lives, put it in the back row and watch it zoom to level 20 while your familiar plays bodyguard.

Bacarra
Pet Score:3395
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Bacarra » February 12th, 2013, 1:38 am

The Giraffe Calf can frequently be found travelling with a heard of Barrens Giraffes (not Dusthood Giraffes), and sometimes there's more than 1 calf with the heard. But please be sure to kill the whole heard, not just battle the calf, so they can re-spawn faster. Plus, the have a chance to drop the rare Savory Deviate Delight recipe!

Khamerta
Top Rater
Pet Score:3584
Realm:Nordrassil-us

Post by Khamerta » February 12th, 2013, 1:43 am

When fighting Critters types, I always use my Kun-Lai Runt. Since she is a Humanoid Type, she takes less damage from Critter abilities but her Thrash, Mangle, and Rampage abilities all do extra damage to Critter types.

Also

When fighting Undead types, I use Spiny Terrapin. He takes less damage from Undead abilities. If you use Powerball, which is good against Undead types, plus increases your speed, with Healing Wave you are usually set to win.

Quendo
Pet Score:13842
Realm:Nathrezim-eu

Post by Quendo » February 12th, 2013, 2:00 am

Against Aki's Dragon the best pet by far is Clockwork Gnome with his ability Build turret. The additional damage from the Dragon's Call Lightning will take out the Dragon as well as half of the next pet. To level a lowbie pet use it against the Cricket, as this does not do much damage.

Elewis
MVP
Pet Score:7758
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Elewis » February 12th, 2013, 2:09 am

festering maggot

Don't let his uglyness fool you, if he's breed 6 he's a real monster. He's very hard to kill with acidic goo and then consume use the burrow on cooldown. He's a fabulous critter killer. Also if your terribly forgetful like I am I came up with a naming system for my pets. I use C for critter kill ability U for undead H human and ME mechanical etc.. so festering maggot would be U C H ME Ugly, rather appropriate don't you think.