1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Amithyst
Top Rater
Pet Score:11246
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Amithyst » February 11th, 2013, 8:06 am

Phoenix Hatchling

This pet drops off of Kael'thas Sunstrider, the final boss in the BC Heroic Magisters' Terrace. It has an 11% drop rate from him, it also has a 0.2% chance to drop from the reward bag given to tanks/healers occasionally from the LFG tool (source wowhead.com). If you do runs for the White Hawkstrider mount (dropped by same boss) often then you'll likely run into a couple of these little guys along the way.

This little pet lends a considerable edge to combat when you're leveling him up with other pets. The three moves he learns first are Burn, Cauterize, and Immolation.

A very good strategy I used while leveling him was to put him as the first pet in my line up and immediately cast Immolation as your first move. Then you can switch it out with another pet that is a more tanky sort (I used my Onyxian Whelpling) and burn the enemy down while the Immolation continues to burn them adding to the damage even while your Phoenix Hatchling is on the back lines.

The heal that your hatchling has, Cauterize, also helps tremendously if you choose to play it on the front lines, healing a set amount plus half the damage of the last hit you took. When playing him at the front while leveling it is still a good idea to set up Immolation first before whittling away at their health with Burn and maintaining your health with Cauterize.

When you have leveled it up to 20 and get your final move, Conflagrate, then your little hatchling is powerful enough to take out weaker pets (especially mechanical pets) with as little as two hits. By using a combination of your abilities first hitting them with Immolate and then Conflagrate, you dish out a crazy amount of damage!

The first move you have the option of keeping Burn or switching to Peck, this doesn't make much of a difference as they both deal the same amount of damage. If you need flying damage for utility then taking Peck would probably be a good idea, I had a flying pet - Pterrordax Hatchling - in my line up so I didn't have need for it and kept my phoenix as pure elemental damage.

It is a good idea to experiment with your timing of abilities with pets that can cause weather effects too. As an example I took my Onyxian Whelplings ability Scourched Earth and set it up then switched my Phoenix back out since it ignores the damaging effect. With this I was able to take Conflagerate and have the burning bonus with it and still keep my heal ability Cauterize because I didn't need to have Immolate to apply that burning status.

Have fun with it, and good luck! :3

Ginúshi
Pet Score:8881
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ginúshi » February 11th, 2013, 8:28 am

Clockwork Gnome

Due to its ability to heal with Repair and its Mechanical feature of resurrection, you can get up to almost 4000 HP equivalency with this pet.

One can fight an entire team of level 25 pets with only the Clockwork Gnome and come out at almost full health if played well.

Janii
Pet Score:1712
Realm:Hellscream-eu

Post by Janii » February 11th, 2013, 8:59 am

The Oily Slimeling or Jade Oozeling are great damage dealers. First cast Acidic Goo and secondly cast Corrosion. Acidic Goo increases all damage with 25% and Corrosion increases all damage again with a fixed amount. With these two dots running you can cast Absorb to keep yourself alive. Usually after the first Absorb the enemy dies from the dots.
The dots are especially useful against pets that uses an ability like Dodge, Burrow or Lift-Off because the dots just keep on ticking.

Piaevo
Pet Score:1774
Realm:Eonar-us

Post by Piaevo » February 11th, 2013, 9:14 am

I am not as skilled as most of the pet battlers here, but this is what I have to offer.

I finally got my first pet to 25 this ast weekend. I first leveled a Cat named Chupa (short for Chupacabra).

I found that mainly going against Critters that Claw and Devour kept me out more battling than running back to a Stable Master to heal up my pets. I found that the Cat really had something to fight in most of the zones that I was running through. I really suggest leveling a Cat or a similar pet with this skill set. Now at level 25 I can start a fight with a pet I want to level and then switch over to the Cat and solo the rest of the battle.

Good Luck.

Salgam
Pet Score:2274
Realm:Twisting Nether-eu

Post by Salgam » February 11th, 2013, 9:23 am

Red Cricket

If you having a hard time to doing Pandaren Earth Spirit Daily battle, use Red Cricket as opener pet. Start with "Screech" to slow the spirit down. Then "Cocoon Strike" to avoid the next attack. After "Nature's Touch" to heal you up. You can kill the Earth Spirit easily. Choose next 2 pet to encounter other two opponent. =)

Grimpally
Pet Score:4398
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Grimpally » February 11th, 2013, 9:32 am

Soooo, anyone else on a low to medium pop server having trouble finding the more common TCG pets at reasonable prices or in come cases, finding them at all. Pets such as the following Gregarious Grell [pet]Landro's Lichling[/pet] [pet]Landro's Lil' XT[/pet] Sand Scarab and Nightsaber Cub. Well fear not i've found a way. I've had success making alts on about 6 different High/full pop Normal Servers (the normal servers tend to be more pet battle crazy than the Pvp) Just little lvl 1 toons parked Right in SW at the AH. What you do is Scan the auction house for the pets you need and since there are so many people there are usually about 3-5 of the TCG pets in there alot of times up three or four of the same pet up at a time So /who whatever the name of the person selling the pet you need is, And since battle pets are account wide you offer a trade for what you need. The Pandaren Earth Spirit and his three brothers usually barter well, All the new raid pets as well. I've found that Lvl 25 pets work as pretty good currency too. The key is your probably going to want to offer them alittle more in value than what they are trying to get out of the pet since they are going out of they're way to help you out, Remember being nice is going to take you a long way here. Now keep in mind this isn't always going to work you are going to get turned down plenty of times, So thats why you play the numbers (other servers) But if you keep steady at it you will get what you need in no time, and you wont have to deal with people trying to sell the sand scarab for 95k, like they do on my server lol. Well I hope this has helped at least one person with their collection, Godspeed everyone and good luck with the contest.

Macfly
Top Rater
Pet Score:13848
Realm:Anvilmar-us

Post by Macfly » February 11th, 2013, 10:07 am

The Snow Cub is a good pet to use to level other pets because of Devour.

I've leveled alot of my pets to level 25 using the Snow Cub in the Valley of the Four Winds around The Heartland.
The teams are mostly critters so the Snow Cub does extra damage and using Devour to finish of opposing pets means less flights to the stable master or use of bandages since it has a big heal effect.

Stitches
Pet Score:2283
Realm:Laughing Skull-eu

Post by Stitches » February 11th, 2013, 10:29 am

Celestial Dragon can prove to be a good pet to boost lower levels with, especially if you put a level 1 pet against the tamer in 1000 needles (it will boost them to level 7 per fight)

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » February 11th, 2013, 10:43 am

Mr. Bigglesworth

Once you have the Raiding with Leashes achievement which you get from learning all of the raid pets, Mr. Bigglesworth will show up in your pet inventory. His lvl 10 Ability is Ice Tomb which hits pretty hard in its own right, but it is instant death when combined with Prowl.

Here's how a round goes with Mr. Bigglesworth.
Battle Starts: Cast Ice Tomb
Round 2: Cast Claw
Round 3: Cast Prowl
when the round ends, Ice Tomb lands - your prowl makes it hit for 150% of its normal damage and typically against a non machine at lvl 24-25 you'll hit for 1,500-2,000 damage.

Doesn't work as well in pvp situations because real people try to avoid it more so than the NPCs do. :)
Still, it wasn't intuitive to me that the Prowl ability would increase a multi-round attack's damage.

Painwielder
MVP
Pet Score:2348
Realm:Drak'thul-us

Post by Painwielder » February 11th, 2013, 11:14 am

This is a pet both with great battle ability and great vanity amusement. The Kun-Lai Runt!

First, the battle aspect; This pet has a great power breed that hits 341 (and personally, I love power pets for battling in general) which is great alone but even better given his abilities. Rampage and Deep Freeze are hard hitting abilities that you want power for in general to make the best use of them. Then you have Mangle which is as well augmented by having a high power rating! Without getting too lengthy, you then have it's diversity to deal some extra blows to Dragonkin, Critters and Mechanical all the while healing him as he strikes. And if you throw out Blizzard to augment Deep Freeze, there's the potential to destroy your enemy pet before it can even react.

Now, the vanity fun of this pet is very unique; when you have him out he makes loud stomping sounds as you jog along, letting your enemies know something big and bag is coming! :P Additionally, when you stop he lets out a roar every time to announce your arrival, in case the loud stomping wasn't enough. Lastly, if you throw a pet enlarging item to him, he grows to the size of your character which a lot of pets can't quite get to. It's like being a hunter with a yeti pet that may not be deadly in the pve world, but certainly is in pet battles!

All in all, an amazing pet to add to anyone's collection be it for battle, vanity, or the obvious choice of both! Cheers! ^^

SilverJade451
Top Rater
Pet Score:4687
BattleTag®:SilverJade#1697
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by SilverJade451 » February 11th, 2013, 11:28 am

One of the more difficult types of pets for me were definitely the ones that don't spawn with weather or seem to be on a timer, but just SPAWN. A great example of this is the Rusty Snail. Not the most glamorous, I know, but still an essential part to any collection! I tried logging in at different times, I tried killing/battling other pets in the area, everything. But this guy spawns like a wizard, never early, never late but precisely when he means to. The best bet is to hang out, if you have the time and other pets to level, or park an alt character above the beach to check back throughout the days. Make sure you are checking ALL the way to the tower from the horde base too, because these little buggers like to spawn along the inlet AND in the water!

Goolatza
Pet Score:3519
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Goolatza » February 11th, 2013, 11:37 am

Scooter the Snail
Having trouble with the Earth elemental tamer in Panda-Land? Try useing Scooter as your first pet. Since he's a critter elemental's have weak attacks againest them. Scooter also has aquatic attacks which are strong againest elemental's. Finally critters passive is breaking CC quicker then other pets which is great since the earth elemental loves to stun. Granted any snail works great I just have a soft spot for Scooter :ugeek:

Qhorin
Pet Score:2861
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Qhorin » February 11th, 2013, 11:51 am

Guardian Cub

This has been my go-to pet on my way to the Pro Pet Mob achievement. He eats up the wild aquatic pets (Eternal Stiders, etc) throughout the Vale of Eternal Blossoms for a few reasons.

As a Flying pet, he deals +50% damage to the almost completely aquatic threesomes. He also takes -33% reduced damage from the occasional beast ability. Most importantly, Reckless Strike 2-shots most aquatic pets.

As the aquatic pets often heal or charge up to start the match, you can usually get away with leading with a level 1 pet, attacking once, then swapping for Guardian Cub to solo all 3 pets.

Alexsertu

Post by Alexsertu » February 11th, 2013, 11:54 am

I impressed your Tips.Its high quality.Dog,groomer new york.

Winterfell
Pet Score:2034
Realm:C'Thun-eu

Post by Winterfell » February 11th, 2013, 12:15 pm

The lowly Rabbit is a great pet to use against other pets that use hard-hitting abilities like ghostly-bite, wind-up or pump, specially if it's a high speed breed.

With it's dodge and burrow abilities it can nimbly get out of harm's way while it nibbles happily at other pets' health.

Nomm
Pet Score:3004
Realm:Spirestone-us

Post by Nomm » February 11th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Diemetradon Hatchling, in the P/P power breed (brd 4), is one of the hardest-hitting critter-killers, ideal for leveling up pets by chain fighting critters in eastern Valley of the Four Winds. His Ravage ability hits harder than Devour of most other beasts, and still has the bonus heal on a killing blow, enough to allow this pet to fight for hours without needing a single pet bandage!

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » February 11th, 2013, 12:37 pm

My favorite (since I keep farming rares, even after I got all the wilds) is still the Terrible Turnip. I keep him up as either the first or the middle pet whenever I do wild battles. Since I have him at level 25, he will not eat xp from my leveling pets. He is even an ok battler for wild battles, with Sunny Day serving as a decent finisher after I get the pet down to 1 health point.

Maxon
Pet Score:1565
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Maxon » February 11th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Corefire Imp's ability Immolation hits even from the back row. This pet is a humanoid, so it is healed every time it does damage. Cast Immolation, do some damage through other spells, and put in the back row to heal up, while still doing some damage.

Sigrot
Pet Score:3037
Realm:Staghelm-us

Post by Sigrot » February 11th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Crawling Claw. Just wish he could give me a "hand" while doing all that digging...

Ebbie
Pet Score:4510
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Ebbie » February 11th, 2013, 1:59 pm

In your quest for the Giant Sewer Rat it's good to break up the monotony by running randoms or doing BG's. Throw some tunes on to listen to and by all means don't expect to get it because if you do it won't drop. Same rules apply to the Magical Crawdad and the Sea Pony.

Happy hunting!