1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Sarrowynne
Pet Score:828
Realm:Lightbringer-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Sarrowynne » February 10th, 2013, 4:15 pm

I find for power leveling the Feline Familiar is the best. Stoneskin against a critter's Stampede is super effective (I see whut I did thar). I just have my leveling pet make the first strike, then swap out and win the match.

My Personal World Destroyer and Mini Diablo along with the Familiar were the first pets I leveled and I pretty much powered through everything.

Selserene
Top Rater
Pet Score:7625
Realm:Shadow Council-us

Post by Selserene » February 10th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Feral Vermling - This little guy is particularly strong against Aki the Chosen, the Grand Master in Vale of Eternal Blossoms. Use nothing but his Dreadful Breath ability against her cricket, Chirrup, until her dragon Stormlash is dead. Combine the Feral Vermling with a pet that casts Cleansing Rain and Dreadful Breath will kill both Stormlash and Whiskers, leaving only Chirrup to finish off. Using this method you can level two pets up against Aki the Chosen with ease.

Scooter the Snail - Scooter is a very underrated battle pet vs tamers. His large health pool makes him a tank. Using Absorb, Shell Shield, and Dive this pet can nearly solo the Kun'lai Summit Grand Master, Courageous Yon, and kills the Pandaren Earth Spirit's pet of the same name swiftly.
Last edited by Selserene on February 10th, 2013, 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nevermore06
Top Rater
Pet Score:9990
BattleTag®:Whispered#2506
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Nevermore06 » February 10th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Fluxfire Feline is a great pet to use in combination with Call Lightning, an easy pet at high level obtainable with Call Lightning is a Wild Jade or Golden Hatching in Jade Forest. No worries, there are not that many and they don't respawn so fast - better set up your tent and cooking fire and prepare for a night of "camping"! ;)

Fluxfire Feline is an awesome pet to use against following Master Tamers in pandaria: Nishi, Hyuna, Courageous Yon, Wastewalker Shu & Mo'ruk - so all except Seeker Zusshi although you can also use it there!
Last edited by Nevermore06 on February 10th, 2013, 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elfshine
MVP
Pet Score:4782
BattleTag®:Elfshine#1723
Realm:Skywall-us

Post by Elfshine » February 10th, 2013, 4:21 pm

For any of those difficult-to-find battle pets that we all seek, such as the Minfernal, Infinite Whelpling, or the Anodized Robo Cub, please take any quality that you get then use a stone on them. This keeps plenty available for all of your fellow players and makes it so much nicer of a community!

Oh, and nothing beats a good Tail Sweep from your Infinite Whelpling for beating up most opponents!

Albusseverus
Pet Score:664
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Albusseverus » February 10th, 2013, 4:33 pm

Lofty Libram

I spent two and a half hours doing nothing but battling to get this. It finally appeared next to the tower and to my delight it was a rare. I then went looking for other pets after I got it and I made my way back around to the crater and there were four more floating there. The time I got mine was between 5-6 am EST

Ksat
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Ksat » February 10th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Using the Anubisath Idol to battle Grand Master Aki will always get you a win. If you get the dragon first use the reflect ability to avoid the major damage of the pets first move, then use sand storm on the next attack to get rid of the weather affect that causes extra damage when attacked. You need to get rid of this because the pet you will fight after this is a wasp and it uses an ability that even with sand storm up will trigger the extra damage if it's attack misses. The 3rd pet you'll fight is an otter with the dive ability, time up reflect with Dive and you will be able to win this battle with one pet.

Slithytove2
Pet Score:6404
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Slithytove2 » February 10th, 2013, 4:53 pm

My favorite team: I open with Fire Beetle, cast Scorched Earth, then switch to Lava Crab and Conflagrate. This usually finishes off the first opponent. Rinse and repeat, filling with Cauterize and a basic attack. I also like to keep a flying or non-elemental with a solid heal, in case I end up against an aquatic.

Ceantari
Pet Score:2046
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Ceantari » February 10th, 2013, 4:59 pm

One of the best places to power level your pets are the Valley of the Four Winds and the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. Both these zones are especially good for leveling Humanoid and/or Flying pets. So bring your Kun-Lai Runts and Stunted Yetis to battle Critters, and bring your Blue Mini Jousters and other Bird of Prey types to rock the Aquatics!

Mayhemia
Top Rater
Pet Score:11549
Realm:Blade's Edge-us

Post by Mayhemia » February 10th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Scourged Whelpling

There are many tips about catching this guy at server restart and it certainly helps to park two toons. One toon that has completed the zone and one that has not. I found that the toon that had completed the zone had the best chance of catching this little guy.

But he is well worth the effort, with his tail sweep attack he gets an extra strike when he goes last. And he usually goes last against the battlemasters. Put up plagued blood onto the enemy and both strikes of tail sweep will heal him. Also, when he dies he gets two extra rounds due to his undead ability. I find he can absorb three huge attacks at the point of dying and deal upto 2000 damage before he finally drops. Not bad when he only has 50 HP left!

Or pop a plagued blood up as the last attack to help heal the next pet in battle. It will depend on whether you are likely to take down the opposing pet with your final hit or not as this guy exits the battlefield.

I find him durable with decent dps and able to solo at least two out of three pets when taking on the high level battlemasters. My favorite battle pet.

Bigbassman628
Pet Score:998
Realm:Archimonde-us

Post by Bigbassman628 » February 10th, 2013, 5:16 pm

One tactic I found useful while battling other trainers is to maximize damage increase abilities with large cooldowns. My favorite example of this is with my Pandaren Monk. I start off a battle with Focus Chi, and use the dmg incrase on Fury of 1,000 Fists. Then when there is 1 turn left on the Fury of 1,000 Fists cooldown, use Focus Chi again, then use Fury of 1,000 Fists the next turn. This will yield the highest amount of possible uses of Fury of 1,000 fists during a fight.

Bellenova
Pet Score:2204
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Bellenova » February 10th, 2013, 5:29 pm

My favourite battle pet has got to be hands down [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet]. I use him along side Spawn of Onyxia, who has the ability Scorched Earth which causes the Burning status. If you switch out Spawn of Onyxia for [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet] who is an elemental he will not take extra damage from the weather effect and allows him to use Conflagrate, which does double damage if the target is Burning.

Another cute ability is this pet's Sons of the Flame skill. This ability summons 6 tiny fire elementals in a circle who all cry out in teeny tiny voices "By Fire Be Purged!".

Rathtairis
Pet Score:663
Realm:Alterac Mountains-us

Post by Rathtairis » February 10th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Cinder Kitten was a must-have for me.
One of my good friends played a feral druid during Cata and was hell-bent on getting the staff to transform her into the fire kitty. Unfortunately, she died in a car crash before she ever managed to achieve it. In memory of her, this pet is always by my side.

Phyrelizard55
Pet Score:1093
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Phyrelizard55 » February 10th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Hopling needs to take advantage of it's speed, using Backflip and Tounge Lash efficiently will be effective when considering the only pet with a faster speed than it is flying pets when their speed is above 50%

Darkmoon Turtle is effective against any pet that uses a lot of attacks in succession, rather than large single hits using Shell Shield, it is also able to reduce the amount of attacks on certain pets by increasing it's own speed with Powerball

Arithusa
Top Rater
Pet Score:3859
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Arithusa » February 10th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Now that you can max out at level 90 in Panderia, it's easy to solo some vanilla raids for the Raiding with Leashes achievement. When venturing into the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj, remember to bring a frost-enchanted weapon if you do not have any frost-type spells! There is a pet Viscidus Globule that drops from Viscidus, who only dies if you freeze him enough times into an ice block.

Nobledictator127
Pet Score:955
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Nobledictator127 » February 10th, 2013, 5:42 pm

anubisath idol This pet is a beast and highly worth the grind to get him. Use his sandstorm for high damage and nerfing of your opponents damage. Also use reflection early and often, this guide is a rock. He fits in well with anyone as you can bring pets in and out and still take less damage as sandstorm stays on.

Thephoenix3000
Pet Score:5886
BattleTag®:Phoenix#1432
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Thephoenix3000 » February 10th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Black Tabby Cat Is a very strong farming pet as most zones have critters, Using the Flawless Beast Battle-Stone will bring it up to rare quality and one of the strongest cats in the game. Using the ability Devour as finishing move will allow you to continue fighting with minimal downtime.

Dizzy_moogle
Pet Score:3708
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Dizzy_moogle » February 10th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Diemetradon Hatchling

If you are having trouble finding these in Un'Goro Crater try killing any of the Elder Diemetradons that are up then start waiting for them to respawn. Some of the elder ones that will spawn will spawn with "babies" i.e the Diemetradon Hatchling. If you battle the pet but leave the accompanying mama up, after about 5-7 minutes another pet will spawn in it's place. A good way to go about doing this is to set raid markers on the mothers that spawn with babies and leave them up and kill off the ones that don't spawn with the pet.

Wowaholic
Top Rater
Pet Score:2106
Realm:Wildhammer-eu

Post by Wowaholic » February 10th, 2013, 5:56 pm

My favourit way of lvling lowbee pets=D

Amber Moth this is my fav flyer which I use in vale of eternal blossems to lvl up my low pets fast (making sure they are a minimum of lvl 3ish so they dont get oneshotted;)) close to the waterlines in the entire vale there are almost only water type pets which you simply 2 shot or 1 shot with your flyer. I make sure my lowbee pet is in pet slot 1 be sure to cast 1 spell atleast and then bring your moth out. preferably an magic pet with it aswell for the occasional flyers that you encounter. and boom spam lvls inc (aspecially with your safari hat) bonus on this is with the difficulty bonus and the speed of pets dying more chance on the stones :D I had several stones drop for me this way and a great way to kill time when waiting for raid or dungeon queue^^

Khaledra
Pet Score:2348
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Khaledra » February 10th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Here are some tips for melee classes towards the raiding with leashes achievement:

Anubisath Idol

Because this drops off Emperor Vek'lor of the Twin Emperors fight in AQ40, this can be a tricky fight for physical dps classes. It's easy enough for a magic user: just make sure your dps on him is higher on Vek'lor than the Twins' ability to heal each other and you have it made. This is harder for physical dps classes because Vek'lor MUST be tagged with magical damage in order for loot to drop off him (and this pet ONLY drops off Vek'lor the magic boss, not Vek'nilash the melee boss). Luckily, you probably have the solution in your bags already if you have been using the Blingtron on a regular basis: the G91 Landshark! It counts as magical damage. What I did on my Paladin was walk close enough to Vek'lor to use the Landshark on him, which starts the fight. Then I just switched to Vek'nilash, popped all my dps cooldowns and successfully dpsed them down. I was lucky enough to get this pet on my first try on these two, and again two weeks later.

Viscidus Globule

As you probably know, there are two tricks to the Viscidus fight: frost damage and melee hits. However, most classes don't have frost damage available to them. So what to do? Find a cheap, MIsts of Pandaria green quality weapon on the auction house (a fast 1-hander) and enchant it with Elemental Force. The extra elemental damage this enchant does counts as frost damage and will successfully freeze Viscidus. Once frozen, you have a brief period of time in which to do a certain number of melee blows (I don't know the exact number, only that it was nerfed in 5.1). As a Retribution Paladin, pop your Guardian of Ancient Kings. Between the two of you, you will do enough melee hits to break him *just* before he unfreezes again. It's tight, but you can do it. I imagine a Death Knight using Army would also successfully break him in time. I do not know Rogues or Warriors well, so I am not sure what abilities they have to increase their melee hits. Worse case scenario: bring a friend.

Untamed Hatchling

This tip, unlike the last two, will be good for any class.

While possible to solo, Razergore still proves a difficult fight to solo, and a complicated one. Here's a tip a friend gave me that will make the fight a lot easier: get the Terracotta Fragment trinket from Jonn-Dar in Valley of the Four Winds (he's where the turtles are, near Nesingwary's camp). Pop the trinket, and use the orb of command. That's basically it. The Terracotta Warrior that is summoned will last 10 minutes, which is more than enough time to break all the eggs. He taunts and does significant damage, so he will keep adds off you and kill them with ease. I haven't been successful in getting the trinket, but maybe you will have better luck. :)

Happy Hunting!

Synkronos
Top Rater
Pet Score:10708
Realm:Chamber of Aspects-eu

Post by Synkronos » February 10th, 2013, 6:12 pm

Mini Mindslayer - Looking to level your brand new level one Magic family pet as fast as possible? Due to their racial, (Magic pets cannot be dealt more than 40% of their maximum health in one attack), they can be sent against even the hardest hitting of foes with no fear of being knocked out. Send them in first against any set of pets that you can easily beat with one or two other pets of yours. My personal favourite place is the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. Due to the high incidence of Aquatic pets, you can usually solo the whole team with a single level 25 Moth, with any other level 25 Magic pet as backup for the handful of Flying pets that show up occasionally.